[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ultima

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 7

File: Ultima5.jpg (145KB, 639x401px) Image search: [Google]
Ultima5.jpg
145KB, 639x401px
I bought the entire Ultima series on GOG several years ago, and while I've still never played them, I'm planning on it so let's have an Ultima thread. First question: is it imperative that I play through all of them in order?

Some other stuff for the sake of creating discussion:
>favorite games in the series?
>recommended sourceports/modifications?
>are 8 and 9 that bad?
>>
>>3979320
>>
Ultima 8 is basically the only good entry.

Ultima 9 is unholy shite.
>>
File: uw2_002gazer.jpg (73KB, 800x500px) Image search: [Google]
uw2_002gazer.jpg
73KB, 800x500px
You can skip the first three Ultimas without losing anything.

Don't forget about the Ultima Underworld games. They are the best in the series, IMO.
>>
I have Runes of Virtue for the gameboy, never played it much though.
>>
>>3979320
Are any decent ultima console ports?
I wouldn't mind trying them but I'd rather play them on a handheld.
>>
>>3979463
Ultima 4 on the master system is a really good version
>>
>>3979420
Goddamn, hated those fucking enemies.
>>
>>3979320
Ultima I & II are shitpost games. You might like them for historical reasons or because you like communing with a teenager writing gaems in his mom's basement back when everything was wide open.

Ultima III is a legitimately good game, but the Ultima mythos doesn't start until IV.

Underworld I is a legitimately great game. Underworld II sprawls a bit too much for me but many people like it more.
>>
>First question: is it imperative that I play through all of them in order?
There is an important continuity from 4 onward. You'll get the most millage if you don't skip beyond it. Exceptions are SE, MD, UW and 8 which are relatively standalone.
It doesn't hurt to start with 1 since it's a short and simple game.

I recommend:
1+2: FM Towns
3: IBM-DOS with graphic and sound patch
4: xu4 or SMS
5: IBM-DOS with sound path
6: nuvie with FM Towns speech and sound
SE+MD: IBM-DOS or wait until they're playable with nuvie
UW: IBM-DOS
7: Exult with keyring mod
UW2: IBM-DOS
SI: Exult with SI Fixes mod
8: Pentagram
9: IBM-Windows with fan patches

>are 8 and 9 that bad?
8 is pretty bad in its available form. The game was rushed out and nothing works well.
9 is mainly held back by its story.
>>
>>3980353
>short
Short by RPG 80 hour standard?
>>
>>3980440
You can reasonably do everything within a few hours.
>>
>>3979320
>GOG
kys
>>
>>3979816
>You might like them for historical reasons

I like Ultima 1 for the simplicity of it. Sometimes I just wanna go through a quick dungeon crawl and Ultima 1 is perfect for that since it just plops you right into the gameworld the moment you finish making your character.
>>
>>3980353
Are the Towns versions in English?
>>
>>3983053

you can choose between english and japanese
>>
>>3979320
oblique perspective makes me want to vomit
>>
>>3983053
VI even has English voices.
>>
Alright, so I want to play some Ultima on the FM-Towns. I've got UNZ, I've got FM-Towns roms, I've downloaded a couple of Ultima isos that come with boot disks.

But... I'm having a huge pain getting it to go in UNZ. I can boot up the FM-Towns system software just fine, but I'm not entirely sure how I should have this thing configured for Ultima.

I stick the CD in the CD drive, the boot disk in the first floppy drive, and then... Mysterious Japanese loading and checking from various devices. Do I have a bad dump? Am I mis-configuring something? Anybody got a step-by-step walk through so I can figure out just what the fuck my stupid self is doing wrong?
>>
>>3980460
I really shouldn't be replying to bait, but what's wrong with GOG?
>>
>>3984182

http://dmweb.free.fr/?q=node/345
>>
>>3979420
I liked those 3 games. they are pretty fun
>>
>>3984197

Nothing, you're responding to a moron.
>>
File: Ultima 7.png (9KB, 642x402px) Image search: [Google]
Ultima 7.png
9KB, 642x402px
>>3979368
>8
>good
this meme have to stop
>>
>>3984182
You can't access the CD drive from unz, only the two floppy drives.
You have to mount the CD externally or use a physical CD-ROM and set unz to access those Windows drives.
It also doesn't work with open source image software like WinCDEmu.
>>
File: u1map.png (230KB, 2688x2496px) Image search: [Google]
u1map.png
230KB, 2688x2496px
>>3984278
>http://dmweb.free.fr/?q=node/345

Sweet, thank you very kindly.

>>3985061
Looks like WinCDEmu is my foe here. I think I'd rather try burning the iso than installing DaemonTools on this box. Thanks!
>>
>>3979463
Ultima 4 had good ports on both master system and nes but they are pretty different than the pc
>>
I'm suprised this doesnt get more love. rarely mentioned. its a little clunky, and the magic system can be a big turnoff, but the game itself has a good style about it.

Its way better than the other ports. Lots of adventure, good length, good lore. Also lots of detail for min-maxers to chase.
>>
File: 5305_5566b5dfcc9f1.png (18KB, 640x400px) Image search: [Google]
5305_5566b5dfcc9f1.png
18KB, 640x400px
which ultima game is Hera Sword of Rhin most similar too?
>>
>>3985290
>>3985364
Ultima 4 may be a good game for the NES but it's not a good port. It cut out crucial elements like the dialog system and encounters would just pop up in the overworld instead of being avoidable.

The SMS just removed the first person parts in the dungeons. Dialogs are still present though you can only ask things you actually heard about instead of brute forcing everybody about mantras and runes.
>>
>>3985425

Ultima 4 or 5
>>
>>3985451

Just as you said: The NES port isn't so much a good ultima game as it is a 'good NES game'. I know its lacking in comparison to other ports for the true ultima fans.

I found it to be super cozy though, with the warm colors and the way script didn't try to be too classic english/elizabethean(sp) verbiage. (Which is how ultima rolls, but isnt really my cup of tea).

But the dialogue trees sound amazing (havent played the SMS version really); and I wanna see the non-first person dungeons.

If someone did a graphics hack of the sms version to look more dragon warrior/Qota-nes, that would be awesome.
>>
>>3986201
> I know its lacking in comparison to other ports for the true ultima fans.
It's lacking for anybody with a brain. Nobody needs that dumbed down shit.
>>
>>3986246

I was wondering when some elitist neckbeard was going to show up. Right on time, sportsfan.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.