[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When is

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 170
Thread images: 15

File: image.jpg (99KB, 500x378px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
99KB, 500x378px
The bubble going to burst /vr/? Will games ever be affordable again?
>>
Bubble won't burst. If past trends hold true it will deflate, slowly, over the next decade or so.
>>
>1 valuable game and 8 junk games
Why didn't they photograph 3 Ninjas by itself
>>
>>3977095
Once you stop being poor as shit
Alternatively, buy for cheaper systems
>>
>>3977115
I'm not poor, I'm just working on buying other things right now while prices are high.
>>
>>3977112
>My opinion is a fact.
>>
It won't completely burst ever. But itll get slightly cheaper. Earthbound crashed a few years ago.

But the haganes/little samsons/panzer dragoon sagas will never ever ever be cheap
>>
>>3977143
>Earthbound crashed a few years ago.
It did? Why?
>>
It'll probably be another 15-20 years before there's a major shift in prices.
>>
A finite (slowly decaying) supply vs an ever-increasing demand. This is not a "bubble." This is a permanent, never-ending incline.
>>
>>3977152
virtual console release
>>
>>3977095
never ever.

>>3977164
this
>>
>>3977095
This.
I was so used to buying Genesis games and they rarely went for over $15, but when I got a Super Nintendo, everything game was like $30 dollars. Should I just scour in yard sales for retro games?
>>
>>3977143
Hagane is awesome
>>3977143
But I have the Super Famicom version that well, was not a blockbuster exclusive.
I still remember the ad on a ginourmous EGM edition with the x-men on the cover
>>
File: 1453941836649.jpg (68KB, 485x486px) Image search: [Google]
1453941836649.jpg
68KB, 485x486px
Can it really be called a bubble if this has been going on for 10 years now?
>>
>>3977182
lmao. No it hasn't. FF7, however, did.
>>
File: retrobingo.png (109KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
retrobingo.png
109KB, 600x600px
oh look, another one of these threads
>>
Just go back in time and buy all the games

Not that hard
>>
>>3977391
I've seen each of these things said on /vr/ a dozen times over, or more.
>>
>>3977095
>3 Ninjas

It infuriates me how this one got so expensive. And this is why the vintage market is what it is today.
>>
>>3977483
It's a crap game from a crap movie. Why do you let your jimmies get rustled so?
>>
>>3977095
snes games are relatively cheap, except for a few competition carts only shelf queens and collectards would actually care about. And all of the SNES library is easily emulated and emulated well.
>>
when the copper in cartridges begins to inevitably degrade then prices will drop
>>
File: stuff (2).jpg (887KB, 1840x2435px) Image search: [Google]
stuff (2).jpg
887KB, 1840x2435px
In the same way older Magic cards have gone up in price consistently every year, there's absolutely no reason for the upward trajectory to stop. As long as the market remains niche enough and no one from Nintendo plans to recreate the cartridges or Sega plans to reprint Saturn games and add new supply, it isn't going to stop. It might eventually price itself out, but even then, someone on eBay will still buy the shit.
>>
>>3977234
>he decided to parrot the e-celeb mean instead of doing research himself

Where has it ever been stated by either Nintendo, Blockbuster or Hudson Soft that it was a rental exclusive? Which magazine at the time ever wrote about it being exclusive? Besides, ever noticed how it's always the most popular channels where they're saying that bullshit? C'mon anon, you can't be that dense.
>>
>>3977139
lighten up
>>
>>3977925
The most likely case is that the game sold so poorly that the only people that bought it were Blockbuster, if anything, and there's where the majority of the carts in circulation probably came from. The ninja fad was pretty dead by 1995.
>>
>>3977281
Well, the benefit is you can get it "legit" for a fraction of the price.

CIB Misadventures of Tron Bonne is 200 bucks. It was onsale for 2.50 on PSN not tha tlong ago.
>>
>>3977143
i bought a saturn on craigslist for $40 that came with panzer dragoon saga
>>
>>3977937
Suikoden II prices went down about 15% when they finally added it to PSN. It's not the runaway train with no brakes that someone else made it out to be. I'll eat my hat when MMX2 starts going for a grand.
>>
Once repro carts become indiscernible from the real thing, there will be a correction in prices.
>>
>>3978185
Except they won't be.
>>
>>3977112
>mega man X2
>Garbage
Pick one
>>
A more appealing alternative has to be introduced for the market to crash. Seeing as people can't be bothered with PC emulation and they don't want to pay for shitty Virtual Console releases, I doubt it will happen any time soon. Maybe if flashcarts somehow become mainstream, cheaper and more easily accessible.

>>3977505
You are a fool. It would only make the still working cartridges more valuable while also making cart restoration a profitable business.
>>
I often wonder how top-dog resellers still manage get their stock for cheap with the state of how the market is.
>>
>>3978465
At least for the ones who own brick and mortar stores, people will often part with their games for far less than they're worth if it means cash in hand that day and not having to wait around for someone to buy it at full market price and then have to deal with meeting up or shipping.
>>
no

jews and special snowflake normalfags killed retro

get a flashcart
>>
>>3978495
>flashcart figs
that still requires the genuine hardware which will eventually become rare as well
>>
>>3977152
Probably the VC release combined with the very well documented and reported fact that it's not rare, just uncommon. Home Improvement is uncommon and goes for 50 out of the box. EB should be Lufia's price (jrpg tax) and hopefully will drop to 90 or so eventually

Little Samson is also simply uncommon, I dunno why late NES titles go for so much. There were less made but they aren't rare like dinosaur peak and stadium events. Jetsons shot up in price only because of flintstones.
>>
>>3978495
Is it true it is still considered emulation (using a flashcart)? I just want as accurate as I can to the real thing. What are he differences between it and the real thing (if any)?
>>
>>3979084
Using a flashcart is absolutely not the same as emulation.

Thank about how consoles work, especially the really picky ones like the 2600 that have extremely tight timing requirements. They ask for very specific data from the cart in a very specific way, which they turn into sounds and pictures. It's ones and zeroes being transmitted at the speed of light.

Flash carts don't always store or generate those ones and zeroes in exactly the same way that the original carts did, but if you analyze the ones and zeroes they send to a console, they are exactly the same. Identical electrons. As far as the console is concerned, the flash cart and original carts are identical. Flash carts wouldn't work if this wasn't true.

Think about it this way. lets say you wanna play a song off a CD. Is there any difference between a CD and a bit-for-bit losless copy of that CD on a flash drive? The data is stored and retrieved differently, but its still exactly the same data and you get exactly the same output. The audio is exactly the same in both cases because your music player is getting exactly the same input.

That's what makes flash carts so great. You could buy hundreds of carts for a system and constantly swap them out, or you can get an identical experience in a smaller, cheaper, more convenient, package. That's why people who own original carts and flash carts often use the flash carts and use the originals more for display.
>>
The bubble won't bust, but prices will steadily incline and then flatline.

The games will only start rapidly losing value once all copies start degrading. We'll all be 80+ or dead by that time.

In other words, keep buying and stay ahead of the curve. Retro games are a legit form of equity. If you have a solid start to your collection, there is no sense in stopping now.
>>
>>3978184
> I'll eat my hat when MMX2 starts going for a grand.
MMX2 and MMX3 might get there if flashcarts don't get them running.
>>
>>3977095
It will burst when no one gives a shit anymore. That doesn't mean "muh hipsters are buying muh games", it means the people on this board too.

So I hope you're in it for the long haul.
>>
>>3977095
If you just care about playing games and not collecting just get an everdrive or a sd2snes. Gaming on real hardware is better imo. I find emulators depressing.
>>
Will retro gaming be dead in 2067?
>>
>>3979309
SD2SNES can run them though, plus they're both on Wii U and New 3dS VC.
>>
>>3977095
well, i think of it this way

my gen grew up with this shit, my little cousin who is 9 won't give a shit about it.

so inbetween that is most anyone who would care, with less children and teens now and more 20+ to 40+, but still less than what is around now.

a good lot of shit is dropping slowly, thankfully most genesis shit still hasn't hit absurd levels like nintendo games did.
>>
>>3977217
you COULD

but don't bet on getting ANYTHING unless you are the first one there. case in point; i was 5 mins late to a sale that was around the corner from my house and i missed a lot of sealed konami games for $1 a pop.

take my advice, get to shit first, in this day and age you can't afford to be second.

also, fuck all you west coast faggots. you can go to sales at 2PM and still find a garage full of shit. fucking YT faggots, hate them so fucking much
>>
>>3977391
oh wow!

its all the things that are problems within the retro community! ON ONE BINGO SHEET!
>>
>>3977925
because i NEVER saw Hagane at my rental stores and i had 5 in my area. the closest BB was an hour away,

same with FF Guy
>>
>>3978185
no~

haha

good joke friend! no one will buy them, only people who want to museum their shit and still play the game, but want to hold onto the actual cart.
>>
>>3978486
i sell my shit at about 25% less than ebay prices, that way, people get their shit cheaper and scalpers won't touch it to make a $10 to $15 profit
>>
>>3979303
which not many do, most of the people starting to collect now get shafted from resellers and horders grabbing everything.

i know a guy at my flea market who just goes around to get games dirt cheap so he can ebay them, he is also 60+ easy. why? fuck you asshole, people want to enjoy those and you are rubbing your hands together, wondering how much more $1's you can get for those atari carts you will never sell.

also, fuck atari.
you can't trade or sell any of that shit
i couldn't even give it away its so shit collecting wise
>>
>>3978606
>I dunno why late NES titles go for so much.
They didn't sell much. Most kids had moved on to the Genesis or the SNES, no one was really buying NES games anymore. Hell, many rental places stopped carrying NES games before the NES stopped getting games to make room for more SNES and Genesis stock.

Same holds true for most systems after the new system is released. It's why Mega Man X3 is no where near as available as MMX. It's why FF9 had so few copies out there compared to FF7. They came out shortly before or around the time the next console got announced, so kids decided to save their money for the next big thing instead.
>>
>>3978606
>Home Improvement is uncommon and goes for 50 out of the box.
That's fucking absurd. It's a horrible game and shouldn't be more than $15, tops.
>>
>>3979460
>cant even give it away
I'll take it. I love Atari. It's a bitch to find carts in person though.
>>
>>3979309
I wish
>>
>thing that havent been produced in 20 years, where the demand only increases, will, for whatever reason, stop increasing their price

you guys are as stupid as /v/ when it comes to economics
>>
File: 1488672941628.png (83KB, 313x290px) Image search: [Google]
1488672941628.png
83KB, 313x290px
>>3977112
>zombies ate my neighbors
>junk
>>
>>3979431
Yeah, read the thread there's already been like two bingos.
>>
The same people bitching about prices in this thread are the same people that probably pass on original xbox and psp games for a dollar or two each are the same people that in fifteen years are going to complain about the prices on those.

Collecting is the same as it's ever been.
>>
>>3979673
Are you implying fucking SNES games will go for $20k one day because "muh analytics"? Because that's what it sounds like.
>>
>>3979745
They will eventually, dumbshit.
>>
>>3979745

In economics theres 2 ways an item can decrease his price: the demand decreases or the offer increases. Will the demand decrease? No. Will the offer increase? as far we have seen, repros are doing jack shit on the prices, and the chance of companies making cartridges is unreal. So, yeah, some day in the future an Earthbound cartridge will be 10k
>>
>>3979615
are you shitting me?
dude, i find TONS of atari 2600 shit

i sold my atari and 100 games for like $100 because it took forever to find someone to BUY the damn shit
>>
>>3979734
original xbox won't go THAT high cowboy
same with PSP

there seems to be a gap with nostalgia and i don't think those will be part of it.
>>
>>3979758
>Earthbound cartridge will be 10k
Even if it doesn't work, which will happen long before it reaches that price?
>>
>>3979234
Nice thank you for the info. I'm sold on it, now the only question is which one to get and do I sell my original collection.
>>
>>3979774

i have no idea. If people could say when something is going to cost X money, all people would be merchants.
>>
>>3977115
If I had the money to afford retro games I wouldn't buy retro games. I'd probably buy hookers and blow
>>
>>3979764
turbo16 shows that even niche consoles and their games can cost quite much
>>
>>3979758
Lol... you know there's like a quarter million of these floating around right?
The only reason it's so high right now is because muh Nintendo.
>>
>>3979764
>I didn't grow up with it
>therefore no one wants it
i bet this is what people in the 90s said when they liquidated their nes stock too lol
>>
>>3979798
there wasn't a market like this in the 90s
dumbass

its only since about 2008 that its been this way
i used to buy nes games for 25 cents a pop all day

now i can't get anything for less than $1-5 a pop
>>
File: Stages in a bubble.jpg (48KB, 769x551px) Image search: [Google]
Stages in a bubble.jpg
48KB, 769x551px
>>
if every cock sucking faggot on 4chan was an economist then they wouldn't be a cock sucking faggot on 4chan would they
>>
>>3979796

>Lol... you know there's like a quarter million of these floating around right?

and how many SNES were sold in the 90s? 40m? lets say half of those consoles are dead. you still have 20m consoles. Now lets say 5% of the people who own a SNES wants to play earthbound in an original cartridge. How much is that? 1 million. That means 1 million people are fighting to get a unit out of 250k. And im being generous, because i doubt only 5% wish to have a copy. So check yourself before you wreck yourself dumbass.
>>
>>3977095
if only there were some way to emulate these games on modern day technology.
>>
>>3979734

Yep I'm buying niche Xbox games now. Just got Otogi 1 and 2. Shit's dope
>>
Burst? Never

What's going to happen is that the market will become less profitable and prices will lower to more reasonable levels, but don't expect to find a 25 cent copy of mario bros/duck hunt ever again
>>
>>3979686
Just because it's "fun" doesn't mean a game isn't junk. Most games are so cheap there's little point to owning other than collection filler

I can reach into my garbage bin and put on a little plastic and banana peel puppet show for children and retards. They might like it, but it's still garbage
>>
>>3977243
Been collecting since 06 and I can say with complete certainty the bubble didn't start until 2011/2012, with a few exceptions like Earthbound.

As late as 2010 I could still find $20 conkers, $30 megaman 7, $15 super metroid/turtles in time/castlevania IV/contra 3, etc regularly.

It's funny to look back how Secret of Mana and Mario RPG were some of the regularly most expensive snes games at the time, and now they arent in the top 30.
>>
>>3979760
Must be a regional thing. None of the local game shops or thrift stores will even take Atari games in my area, so I don't find them unless someone dumps them at a bookstore or I happen to run into a guy who's talking about selling them.
>>
>>3979758
You genuinely think that demand will never decrease for old games? Prices are going up (which reduces the appeal for some people), modern TVs are getting less and less retro-friendly (which makes the barrier of entry higher), emulation is getting easier all the time (which will be good enough for some gamers), and retro games are extremely trendy right now (which means a lot of people in the hobby are doing it because it's trendy, and will eventually leave) and that's just off the top of my head.

Right now, retro games are cheaper and easier to get into than modern games. It only becomes expensive when you start seriously collecting.

This is a collector's market. There will always be collectors and the demand will never go away, but the market WILL shrink as prices rise and it gets harder to play old games. That's when it'll become more niche and the market will shrink.

It's hard to say what effect that will have on prices though. It should be easier to get games, but prices won't go down as long as people are willing to pay high prices for these games.
>>
>>3979779
It depends on the console. In general the Everdrives are the safest bet, but for some consoles (like SNES or GBC) there are better options.
>>
>>3977143
>Earthbound crashed a few years ago
No it didn't. Its been selling in the same price range consistanty for the last few years and was rising in price steadily for years before that.
But if it makes you feel good to believe that it's still more than you can afford but not as much as it once was enjoy your fantasy.
>>
>>3981472
Well, once everyone who grew up with them dies out, there will be virtually no market for them.

That being said. Look at any collector. They refuse to sell their shit at a loss. You won't be seeing a dramatic price decrease in the next 10-15 years.
>>
>>3977919
Even if Nintendo, Sega, whoever made new physical versions of those games the old ones wouldn't go down in price, they'd get just a bit "ORIGINAL ORIGINAL ORIGINAL" added to the listing's title
>>
>>3979764
Original Xbox, Gamecube, and PS2 stuff have been sitting on the shelves at my local second hand game stores for years now untouched, ever since 7th gen started. But lately, despite the fact the prices have not really changed since then, that shit has started selling. I can't tell you if it's just going to be a regional thing or the start of something bigger.

>>3981662
That might take a century or so considering medical tech is only getting better and better, so people are living longer.
>>
>>3981662
Most people collecting for the NES didn't grow up with one. Kids who aren't born yet will be nostalging over the Wii some day.
>>
>>3977095
>Will games ever be affordable again?
yes, when you have a job.
>>
>>3980961
I thought the point of a game was to be fun? Wasn't that supposed to be the point of a game?

Besides your metaphor is asking if the tickets you sold to that puppet show are trash or not. Like a group of old investors was judging you harshly from just beyond the children
>>
>>3982170
>I thought the point of a game was to be fun?
Fuck you.
>>
Speaking of needless only-on-hearsay fear mongering, I heard tell that we're literally killing the Japanese retro market and that most of their big retro stores are now out of business.

From what I heard, the Japanese almost never permanently collect; they just buy, play, and then sell back so that there will always be used games for people to buy, but we've drained their circulation more than they can refill by people selling their old games.

Any truth to this? Or is this another one of those "All PC Engine CD games will be unplayable due to disk rot by 2020, so buy them all while you can!!!" things?
>>
>>3979790
>t. someone who's never had sex or done drugs
>>
>>3980961
>Zombies Ate My Neighbors
>Just because it's "fun" doesn't mean a game isn't junk
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>3982227
fuck the japs
they deserve it for getting so many more sick games than us
>>
>>3982227
And then Japs will get cucked by Americans just like they did in the mainstream market, story repeats itself.
>>
>>3982170
No video games were created to very slowly and inefficiently accrue value.
>>
File: 1472887977948.png (1KB, 134x146px)
1472887977948.png
1KB, 134x146px
>>3982227
From personal experience, it's a combination of a couple of things. Like you said, some (but not all) Japanese retro gaming enthusiasts buy some games and sell them back when they're done. There's really limited space in Japan and most young people living in a tiny flat playing games from their childhood simply don't have room to store them all along with a bunch of systems, controllers, add-ons, etc. Because of this, things like the virtual console/PSN/game compilations/etc are a pretty popular alternative. You can easily have a massive library of retro games on a PSP if you mod it and even if you don't want to mod, you can get a lot of what you'd want to play on a portable system that doesn't take up any space.

With that said, I really can't say for sure but I don't think those options have really made too huge of an impact on those who want to have the real thing. A lot of the nostalgia comes from the feel of the physical game and putting it into the console, then using the controller to play and that's always going to be a big aspect everywhere. Importing is still a niche thing in the west and even if the internet makes it easier now, it wasn't unheard of before. I remember people in the 90's and early 2000's making trips to Japan just to buy a bunch of used games to resell or collect in their small circles. I think the language barrier and act of importing is a bit too much for most people and coupled with the niche factor of it, I wouldn't worry too much.

I'd worry more about harder to find games that have never been re-released (like obscure early CD games and the like) and supplemental materials like guidebooks that end up being lost to the ages. Merch too, like plush and whatnot that are difficult to find and in extremely limited quantities.
>>
you can still find shit. last summer i found a sega geneis m1 with a sega cd m2 which had shining force cd inside, all for $5 at like 2pm

or just give up and emulate or get a flash cart. you'll spend more time playing games then bitching about something else normies ruined
>>
>>3982227
this is false. Few non japanese people want games that are in japanese only. If there has been a decline is more likely than local kids and adults are not as interested in old games as they used to be.

>>3982372
>something else normies ruined
If thats true then Saturn and tg16 games should be way more cheaper than what they currently are.

>>3982359
please stop with that limited space. Not every one lives in tokyo/osaka area and even when they do its just as cramped as any big city in the world.
>>
>>3982381
there are obvious exceptions (neo geo, saturn, tg16) but most of the nes, snes, and especially n64 prices are from normie nostalgia.
there is absolutely no way goldeneye is worth $20+ yet people pay that much for it
>>
>>3982381
>Please stop with the limited space
Why? It's a fact of life in Japan. Even in bigger households, Japanese people tend to not really hoard or care for clutter. Of course you can say this is anecdotal on my end since I've only been to a handful of Japanese households, but it seems to be the trend. I have a couple of Japanese friends who are retro gaming enthusiasts and they usually only keep around one console+a handful of games at a time and either sell it or store it somewhere so it doesn't take up space. It's no Kowloon in Japan but saying there's not limited space (at least for the average household) is strange.
>>
File: 1224920258068.jpg (239KB, 1280x960px)
1224920258068.jpg
239KB, 1280x960px
>>3982390
So your friends aren't hardcore collectors then. Japanese collectors on the grade of American completionists have no problem using as much space as needed for their hobbies.
>>
File: 1436653395229.gif (9KB, 320x224px) Image search: [Google]
1436653395229.gif
9KB, 320x224px
>>3982412
I think collectors like that are always going to be the exception rather than the norm. Even in the states I've found a lot of people tend to collect in ways similar to what I mentioned. Maybe a shelf or two on a bookshelf that's otherwise filled with books and knickknacks, or some drawers full of carts, but not much like that. Plus I'm pretty sure the pic you posted is a DVD collection, which is a whole different subject.
>>
>>3982439
Those are all manga.
The point I'm trying to make is that using "oh the Japanese don't have much space they dedicate to things in their houses" isn't a real rule of thumb for how much stuff they have.
>>
File: 1473904349118.jpg (107KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1473904349118.jpg
107KB, 1280x720px
>>3982642
Fair enough, but you have to admit collections on that scale aren't really a common thing. I've seen self professed book lovers with book collections half that size on both ends of the globe. Most people just don't seem too willing to dedicate more than maybe a bookshelf or some drawers to collections unless they're really crazy about it. Even at the height of my own various collecting phases I never exceeded more than maybe an entire shelf or two even when I absolutely could have, and I consider myself a pretty obsessive person. Especially back when I had more money to blow. This is still all anecdotal on my end but I'm sure you get where I'm coming from.
>>
>>3982390
>tfw live in kowloon
>tfw have dozens of consoles 2 CRTS and 4 LCDs
>tfw the only japs you know are casual plebs
>>
File: r.png (574KB, 1347x538px) Image search: [Google]
r.png
574KB, 1347x538px
When disc and data rot turn them all into door stops and frisbees.
>>
I recently had to help sell off my grandma's property to pay for her bills. Went with an auction. We found out from the auctioneers that collections in general are losing money because of baby boomers. They grew up with everything and aren't willing to pay very much for nice things, because they are just used to having nice things available everywhere. Auctions used to generate a lot of money a decade ago because older generations didn't have that much property until they were at least in their 30s, so valuable things are, well, valuable to them. They paid more money.

So the worth of this shit in 50 years will probably have to do with the general outlook of the people that it was originally targeted at. If you were generally a poor person and could only splurge on video games, then you will probably just repeat that process when you're older and have better income.
>>
>>3980961
>Just because it's "fun" doesn't mean a game isn't junk

What the fuck is this even supposed to mean you fedora wearing fucktard
>>
>>3982927
According to the rest of his comment, he appears to think that a piece of electronic equipment is nothing more than the metals and plastics that it's made of, therefore making said object worthless regardless of its functionality. In doing so he is attempting to reflect on the consumerism and materialism at the core of our society which drive us to assign arbitrary value and sentiment to objects which, when taken solely as the sum of their parts, are no different than the countless things we classify as garbage and throw out every day.

Or he's just a fucking idiot trying to sound smart. It's probably that one.
>>
>>3982359
This brings a good question.

Are flashcarts illegal there alongside emulation?
>>
>>3982939

>that Ferrari is nothing but some steel, plastic, leather, and rubber
>your yacht is just a big lump of fiberglass and canvas
>that Dom Perignon is just water, ethanol, and various esters and sugars
>those 7 supermodels you're sleeping with are made of the same flesh and blood as anybody else

It's sort of Zen actually.
>>
>>3977243
prices didn't start getting out there until the start of the 2010s and around 2013 everything went to shit.

I remember passing on a virtual boy in 2009 because i scoffed at the idea of paying $100 for one. Good luck finding a complete set for under $400 these days
>>
>>3983520

Every bad thing in life corresponds directly to the number of morons exposed to the internet.

As YouTube, eBay, social media sites, etc increase their userbase life becomes a series of cultural memes where fads can be laser-focused in a matter of days by influencers and then magnified by hordes of YouTubers and social media users until it reaches a breaking point.

This is always how trends have worked of course but now that everyone has a smartphone it happens orders of magnitude faster
>>
>>3979758
It's gone from $220 down to $165 just in the past few months.
>>
>>3977095
Here is what you do.
Get a PS2, or Gamecube. Start buying games now, while they are still cheap. in another decade all of the people who grew up with those systems will start buying everything up, and you will have a decent sized collection.

None of those are going to come down in price, ever. That ship has sailed, friend.
>>
>>3981647
It was sellong for 250 a few years ago. I bought it for 60 on 2006. I see it for 130-160 now.
>>
Get a different(and cheaper) hobby.
For the games there are plenty of alternative as good as the real deal, you will just miss out on the dragon treasure hoard rush and frankly that's a good thing, in 30 years you will look at those things and see them as trash to give to your grandchildren.
>>
>>3983759
Long ago I've taken 100 new sealed xbox games for 0.25 cents each.
>>
>>3983759

Gamecube shit is already outrageously priced.
>>
>>3983759
>take investment advice from a kid who says invest in vidya he hasn't even price checked
kek. GC games haven't been cheap of quite a while champ.

>>3983761
>one sold for 250 a few years ago
Cool story kid. If the price had "crashed" $250 would have been the going rate then and $60 would be the rate now.
>>
>>3983759

>Gamecube games
>cheap
>common GC games like Luigis Mansion and Wind Waker goes for 50-60bucks each in Finland
>scalpers roam flee markets like flies and you never find anything in the wild
>>
How long until rot gets to NES games and the caps, etc. break on them?
>>
File: Atari-2600-Wood-4Sw-Set.jpg (104KB, 1200x701px) Image search: [Google]
Atari-2600-Wood-4Sw-Set.jpg
104KB, 1200x701px
These are still mostly inexpensive. Local Funko Pop! store had a lot of the games for this system priced $1-$5. This system seems resistant if not immune to the bubble.
>>
>>3977217
>Should I just scour in yard sales for retro games?
There was a time when you could do this and build up quite a sizable collection for practically nothing. For the most part, those days have past. When you go hit up the flea markets and tag sales it's a totally different game. You're competing not only with other people trying to do exactly what you're doing, but also with the smartphone eBay price checking. Seems like even grandma knows how to look up grossly inflated prices on her iThingie these days.

>hmm, those ebays are saying that nintendo tapes are worth about $7000 each
>you can have one for $4000 if you buy this vase i got at coney island back in the forties
>i remember back during the war when hitler was breeding kittens to stop the moon people from stealing all the french bread

Nah, fuck that. Gotta go. Good luck with your $17,000 SMB/DH cart.
>>
>>3991940
Because only people around my age remember it or want it, and we already have our collections or just don't care to collect in the first place.
>>
>>3992047
I'm 28 and didn't play a 2600 for the first time until maybe 4 or 5 years ago, now I buy games for it regularly. There's definitely people interested in the 2600 who didn't grow up with it but your point still stands and the supply still far outweighs the demand unlike anything Nintendo.
>>
>>3992135
>and the supply still far outweighs the demand unlike anything Nintendo.
I vehemently disagree.

There is a certain website, infested by a certain cabal, that have taken great measures in years past to ensure the "rarity" and "value" of their "investments" in the hobby. A lot of the more expensive NES titles are nowhere near as rare and valuable as they'd like you to think, and the stories surrounding a lot of these games are either greatly exaggerated, unproven, or flat-out untrue.

For example, Stadium Events was the penultimate holy grail of NES collecting for years until some old timer showed up with an entire fucking crate of them still sealed. And I have some serious doubts about games like Little Samson. No one at Nintendo, Blockbuster, or Taito can seem to verify that "rental exclusive to one specific chain of video stores, and then only in a select market" story. It also doesn't help that these "collectors" always seem to have multiple copies at any given time. Like, 10 or 20. With a strong desire to show off pics of said copies anytime someone even mentions the game in passing.

Nah, a lot of this really is a select group of collectors trying to protect what they think is their retirement fund.
>>
>>3983934
>>3984672
>>3987605

>Gamecube shit is already outrageously priced.
The most expensive worthwhile game is melee and that's like $50...
>>
>>3992183
>what is cubivore
>>
>>3992180

So your point is basically a more written out and general meant statement of my earlier post >>3977925. Well, good to see I'm not the only person being sceptical.

INB4 some fags yelling "samefag! Derp!"
>>
>>3992382
I said relevant games. Not some eceleb bullshit wall hanger you only heard about this millennium.
>>
>>3992393
I hadn't even seen your earlier post, but yeah we can agree on that.

My point was that while companies like Atari produced certain titles in the millions and Nintendo publishers usually didn't, there are still WAY more copies of even the "rarest" of stuff out there than certain collecting circles would like you to believe.

So while it seems like retro Atari stuff meets the demand of the collectors market and Nintendo doesn't, the Atari market doesn't have nearly the demand nor collector groups artificially increasing both scarcity and price.
>>
>>3992462
>only heard about this millennium
>game came out in 2002
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>3979868
You would be surprised how many people are "actual grown ups" with decent jobs that posts on 4chan, because it alleviates from the things of the real world.
>>
>>3993579
So true.

The underage shitters who post crap like that wouldn't believe what some of us do for a living.
>>
>>3992183
>im wrong so ill pretend i said claimed something different
Top kek kid. How is $50 cheap compared to the $1 that xbox and PS2 games go for?
>>
>>3993153
>>3993664
Nice /v/ meme and reddit meme, kiddos.

>How is $50 cheap
How is it not?
>>
I don't know why I took this screenshot of Panzer Dragoon Saga prices in ~2011 but now we can all cry about it together.
>>
>>3982227
So disc rot isn't a real thing?
>>
>>3992183
you mean Fire Emblem I'm sure
>>
>>3993691
>kiddos
>projecting this hard
If $1 is cheap then $50 is 50 times less cheap. You'll learn about multiplication in school some day, kiddo.
>>
>>3994107
Man you must be one poor 3rd would beaner if your measure of worth is based on one single dollar.
>>
>>3977095
Probs when all the shelf fillers realise they bought all these games, didnt have time to play with them and now have real shit to do. Most collectors I know are like 30, have small families with young kids and are collecting now with spare cash. They never play anything they buy, theyll get rid of it all eventually, its the trend to buy now give it 10 years and itll be the trend to sell with these idiots.
>>
It will die once folk start having kids and selling off their collections to fund parent lifestyle
>>
>>3979526
>It's why FF9 had so few copies out there compared to FF7.
You can still buy FF9 NEW on Amazon for $15.
>>
>>3992180
>Stadium Events was the penultimate holy grail of NES collecting for years until some old timer showed up with an entire fucking crate of them still sealed.
Isn't it still that, though? It's still stupid rare compared to most games.
>>
>>3983497
Flashcarts are illegal in most places. People just don't care.
>>
>>3993729
It is, but it isn't. Only really cheaply made CDs (some retail, but mostly burnt CDs) will rot in the timeframe that most people give, but they will degrade just like everything else.
>>
>>3994119
Nah. I'm a well to do American who gets a giggle out of pissing off autistic bullshitters on the internet.
>>
>>3977095
It wont
>>
>>3978509
ever heard of the Retron, faggot?
>>
>>3979419
Genesis probably didn't hit the same price levels because it has a shit library compared to Nintendo.
>>
>>3979615
my local retro store has a bunch of Atari controllers and mountains of carts costing maybe $8.00 tops with an average price of $3.00 because nobody wants Atari shit.
>>
>go to flea market at 6am to look for games
>local reseller faggots split up into groups and are literally yelling out that they're looking for games
>vendors call them over and they huddle around the table and grab anything remotely worthwhile
>split up the finds and brag about it on facebook groups
>one fat fuck in the group goes to estate and yardsales during the week and buys up everything because flipping games is his literal full time job.
>people give him shit for snatching up everything
>claims his a good guy for providing a service and giving "good deals" at 30-40% under eBay

this is why I stopped collecting, one group of basement dwellers killed the local scene here
>>
which is most likely to happen first:

1. Millenials get over their nostalgia trip and move onto other stuff, find some other niche hobby to barge in on and ruin
2. The retro sales curve slows down as most collectors approach their end goal of to what extent they want to build their collection up to
3. The number of sleazy fucks looking for a easy money by buying and reselling retro games becomes oversaturated to the point where there are more sellers than people buying and the supply starts to dry up
secret option 4. Modern video games stop being utter shit and people have a reason to look forward to and buy modern games again
>>
>>3994119
I think what he's trying to say is that relatively speaking for 6th gen consoles gamecube games are expensive considering i you can still find ps2 and xbox games for pennies while gamecube games are slowly starting to fetch a premium
>>
>>3998298
this sounds familiar. where are you from anon? buffalo here.
>>
>>3998442
north new jersey. it could just be a trend in this part of the country.

the guy in question is also apparently holding his own local con, which I'm going assume is just going to be dominated by him and his buddies
>>
>>3998842
i've been told by some friends it's a lot easier to find games in the wild or even from resellers at decent prices in the south. the northeast as a whole is shot
>>
>>3998345
there's some PS2 games of note that'll go for a decent amount (blood will tell, rule of rose, etc.) But Xbox as a whole is really cheap anything worth playing can be grabbed for <$15 or you could always it soft mod it and load the iso on your drive
>>
>>3998887
yeah I'd believe that, I have a friend who lives about an hour south of me and he finds better deals at his local flea market so I'll probably just drive down there one weekend.

the resellers completely dominate the supply by me. it's like trying to out fish a party boat
>>
>>3998887
>>3998923
It's just as bad in the Saint Louis area. Everything is controlled by a handful of resellers. They descend upon any estate sales or garage sale days like locusts. I've not been able to find a non-sports game in the wild in years.
>>
>>3977095
>low supply
>high demand (borders on desperation as the man children generation reaches late 30's)

It'll never go away as long as people refuse to look to the future instead of living in the past.
>>
File: 1484542213126.png (116KB, 480x336px) Image search: [Google]
1484542213126.png
116KB, 480x336px
>>3998239
>>
>>3998342
5. People stop having babies and new sheeple stop being added to the buyer pool
Thread posts: 170
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.