[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you feel about N64 game paks killing saves because of

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 6

How do you feel about N64 game paks killing saves because of button batteries dying (some games) and eeprom write cycles exhausted? You have to solder on a new battery to get save functionality back.

This is partly the reason why I don't want to start collecting N64 games only for them to be near dead for saving.
>>
It's exactly why I don't do physical collections - well that and counterfeit carts
>>
>>3976552
This is hardly an issue on the N64. SNES however...

Even then, how hard is it to solder a new battery for the rare occurance it happens? People are just lazy
>>
>>3976552
Replacing batteries is easy
>>
>>3976552
Things aren't beautiful because they last, anon.
>>
replacing batteries is easy and i havent heard of any issues with other forms of saving

nothing lasts forever, but carts last damn near a century if you replace the occasional battery or capacitor. that's good enough.

if you need something less fragile, emulation is for you.

whats up with the CG render of N64 carts? couldn't find a real pic?
>>
Everdrive64 has a Game Pak save to SD function on it if you're really so fucking gay that you can't just beat your game again when the battery dies every 15-20 years.
>>
Doesn't some N64 games use flash memory for saving?
>>
Why are the dying? All my NES games still save
>>
>>3976695
Never heard of this feature of the E64. How does it work exactly?
>>
>>3976696

Most of them use either the controller pack or flash memory. Only like 8-10 N64 games use a battery save
>>
>>3976704

Next on the main menu is the CPak Manager. The Everdrive 64 allows you to effectively back-up one controller pak at once, and more if you use your PC. The first option Copy to File does exactly that. It makes a copy of all the saves on your memory card and saves them as a single file known as JOYPAD1.MPK. The next option, Format, will clear your memory card of any saves on it.

To find your file JOYPAD1.MPK, go into the ED64 folder and then go into the CPAK folder. It will be saved right there. You can press the A Button on it and you will have the option to write the file to your memory card. Next time you have your SD card connected to your computer, you can copy JOYPAD1.MPK to your computer and then it's backed up. Using this feature of being able to save and write to your memory cards, as well as the aid of your computer to back up your save files, you can get away with using a single memory card to store all your N64 saves. This can be especially helpful for some games that are memory hogs.

I do recommend that you back everything up. When you save a memory card to the Everdrive, it always uses the name JOYPAD1.MPK, so the previous JOYPAD1.MPK get's overwritten. Be careful as you don't want to accidentally delete a memory card full of important saves.
>>
>>3976712
You wrote about Game Pak to SD. Your explanation is about Controller Pak to SD.
>>
>>3976721
k
>>
>N64 gamepaks use soldered-in batteries

Are you fellas fucking shitting me? You mean I can't just pop out the old one and replace it?
>>
>>3976705

But early flash had a ridiculously low R/W cycle rating compared to the modern stuff, didn't it?
>>
>>3976695

When krikzz comes down on his v3 (that's the one with 100% compatibility, right?) I might buy. Nearly 300 dollars is too much, when I'd pay about that for the ~10 games I'd want for the N64.
>>
Yeah, everything is finite, even the server where The Cloud is hosted, so technically there isn't a way to save a game file forever, feels bad, eh?

Anyway, I wouldn't worry too much. Of course nobody wants to lose a save, but if it happens, then it happens. The solution is soldering a new battery? Well, it's a bit of a hassle, but if that's all it takes then it's not a big problem. Some guys even enjoy doing things like that as a hobby. As long as the battery is not some rare kind that costs a lot of money, it's ok.
The only SNES game that got its battery dead was Super Mario World, the original one that came with the system.
And then a few Game Boy games: Metroid II and Wario Land don't save anymore, as well as Pokemon Gold (this one is a common issue, due to its internal clock battery, it dies much faster). For SMW I don't care because I own another cart of it, and also the All Stars + SMW one. For Metroid and Wario I'd like to replace the battery but I don't have a gamebit screwdiver and can't be arsed to buy one for the moment - I guess until I really feel like replaying any of those games again.
The other hundreds of SNES, GB and N64 games still save.
Also, doing some memory, some of the N64 games don't save in the cart, for example Goemon. I have the data of those games on the memory card.
>>
>>3976552
>how do you feel about babies crying on the intarwebz about shit they read on teh intarwebs?
It gives me great pleasure
>partly
The other partly is you're an underage poorfag

>>3976568
No. That is exactly why you don't do physical collections
>>
>>3976771
They are not shitting you. These are cheap kids toys not designed to last until you were born. They can be easily repaired by any primate with opposable thumbs and a brain larger than an average rat. So that excludes millennials like you.
>>
>>3976705
Most N64 games used EEPROM chips for saving, not flash memory.
>>
>>3977029
rude
>>
>>3977029
Is that insult really necessary, though?
>>
>>3976771
That's how literally all carts with batteries work on every single system.
Several consoles and computers have their internal batteries soldered in, too. Including the Dreamcast.
It's smaller and cheaper than using a battery holder, so it's standard procedure for most electronics. You can replace them easily if you have any experience with a soldering iron.
>>
>>3977052
>>3977040
This is 4chan. People are rude sometimes.
>>
File: 05d.jpg (22KB, 450x338px) Image search: [Google]
05d.jpg
22KB, 450x338px
>>3977089
>>
>>3977029

I'm 28. How old are you, jumped-up faggot?
>>
>>3977059

I think I'll pass and just get an Everdrive.
>>
>>3977113
I think that's a good idea. If you just wanna play games on original hardware, a flash cart is a no-brainer. It's a hell of a lot cheaper and smaller than a collection and you'll get exactly the same gaming experience, plus built-in cheats and other features.
Collecting and gaming are different hobbies. Don't have to do both.
>>
>>3977119

It's more that I'll already be worrying about the actual console's health (main unit + expansion pak + controllers), I really don't fucking need the added worry of wondering when a cart is going to go as well.

I've had horrible luck with N64s in the past, though they were in less than ideal condition each time.
>>
File: SDC11337.jpg (2MB, 2592x1944px)
SDC11337.jpg
2MB, 2592x1944px
>>3976552
the FRAM on my sonic 3 died out and i was able to buy another one and solder it in
>>
>>3977040
>>3977052
Feel free to fuck off back to whatever circle jerk safe space shithole you came from. 4chan is 18+

>>3977109
Old enough to not be impressed by a kid pretending to be a year older than my youngest.
>>
>>3977269

>he is 15

You prolly do have kids though. You sound like wigger trash.
>>
>>3977052
>>3977040
>>3977089
Kill yourself
>>
>>3976552
Solder a button battery holder into your carts.
Batteries are easily replaceable. The ones that save with chips worry me.

>>3977269
Even if this is 4chan, you're still an asshole.
>>
>>3976552

What you're basically bitching about is any game with a save system made before the PS1
>>
>>3977320

No, you need to go be an edgy shithead somewhere else.
>>
>>3977316

OK, but only if I can take you with me. Is this acceptable?
>>
>>3977371
"Edgy shithead" sums up a large chunk of 4chan's culture pretty well. Take it from an oldfag: ignore it and move on. Don't take the bait. If you argue, you're just giving them what they want.
>>
>>3976552
N64 is peak vidya
>>
>>3976552
Most use flash memory so this fear is hugely overstated
>>
>>3976705
Controller pak saves are battery saves.
>>
>>3976552
You're too fucking stupid to heat up a soldering iron, touch it to a desoldering braid and two points to remove a battery and then put a new one in? You're highly unlikely to exhaust EEPROM read/write cycles too.
>>
>>3976771
Save batteries are easy enough to replace even with the shitty, unregulated, Chinese soldering irons you can buy on ebay for $5 shipped.
>>
ED64 Plus Enhanced worth a purchase? I don't really want to play the handful of DD games that are worth playing.
>>
>>3977274
She's 21 faggot

>>3977317
Thanks kiddo. I feel I haven't really started my day until I've offended a millennial.
>>
>>3977426
You know what it does. You know it's a well-made and reliable product. Is it worth the price for you?
>>
>>3976552
how does SD2SNES work with saves? is there still a battery to be replaced every so often? Or does it save to SD?
>>
>>3977613
You realize unless you're 40 you're a millennial too.
>>
>>3977613

>She's 21 faggot

Does she do anal?
>>
>>3977647

The price of the v3 is the only sticking point. He needs to come down about $50 before I'd consider it cheaper than buying the individual carts used.
>>
>>3977672

He's not even 18. Obvious from a mile away.
>>
holy fuck can anyone translate this shit for me

are you niggers telling me that there's a fucking battery inside my ocarina of cartridge that will eventually die and brick my game?

what in the fuck dude. I HATE technology
>>
>>3977987
>holy fuck can anyone translate this shit for me
its plain english, learn to read
>are you niggers telling me that there's a fucking battery inside my ocarina of cartridge that will eventually die
depends on the revision. most n64 games dont have batteries but a few do
>and brick my game?
no. not unless you just let it sit there and leak and eat the board like a dumbass. replace or remove it. its easy.
>what in the fuck dude. I HATE technology
i can tell
>>
>>3978007
this thread is using terminology i do not understand. it's like a sub-language within english

with that being said

howcome tech isn't built to last? seems kinda weird that a game can only last a couple hundred hours of playtime before it dies
>>
>>3978018

I have no special training of any kind. I have not one hour of college to my name. Even still, I was able to understand (with some light research) every post in this thread.

If I can, so can you.
>>
>>3978018
>this thread is using terminology i do not understand.

I've got no problem explaining things, you just have to be more specific.

>howcome tech isn't built to last?

Nothing lasts forever, but quality electronics are made to last "long enough." Even ROM chips and processors die. Copper and silicon degrades over time, killing boards. It just takes a long time to happen.

Batteries and capacitors, which are (usually) the most fragile parts of these old consoles and games still last for decades. This means that, by the time they start to die, these devices will be antiques that haven't been sold or supported for ages.

As far as the company is concerned, every game and console is lasting far longer than necessary. And, just FYI, most electronics (even expensive ones) are built using the same kind of parts.

Lemme try to explain why batteries are usually soldered in. Battery holders are larger and more expensive than plain ol' soldered batteries. This means they increase the cost and size of products... and for what? So it's slightly easier to replace the battery in 20-30 years? Why does the company care about that? That's double or triple the expected life-cycle of the product in the market.They'll be selling the remastered version by then.

These companies don't want you opening their products at all. They want to discourage tinkering because they don't wanna have to deal with all the angry emails and phone calls from idiot children who broke their console and want a free replacement. They certainly don't want to deal with lawsuits from someone who shocked or hurt themselves because they didn't know what they were doing.

Anyone who is tenacious enough to open these consoles despite the funky screws and risk of damage is probably skilled enough to replace the battery themselves using a soldering iron. It's really easy.

This stuff lasts a really long time. It isn't fair to expect it to last forever without regular maintenance.
>>
Why is it that many of my GB, GBC and GBA games have issues with their internal batteries but none of my console games do? Besides Pokemon Gold and Silver draining the battery for the clock, why would something like Link's Awakening die faster than Zelda 2?
>>
File: 4u.jpg (48KB, 432x432px) Image search: [Google]
4u.jpg
48KB, 432x432px
>>3978018
>this thread is using terminology i do not understand. it's like a sub-language within english

This is basic BASIC electronics. I can understand how normies can't get into the techy stuff. But jeeze I forget you people existed. I can remember 10 years ago when people were still bewildered by electronic circuitry. Now I have old people coming to me about their lcd televisions being broke and I tell them it's probably the capacitors. It's the most common thing that goes wrong with those models. You gota find a company that doesn't use Chinese garbage. And they at least act like they understand me. Perhaps they just assume I'm right about the cheap Chinese parts and move on...

>howcome tech isn't built to last? seems kinda weird that a game can only last a couple hundred hours of playtime before it dies

#1 Heat. Your old NES from 1985 still works fine because it makes very little heat. Your Xbox 360 was lucky to last three years because of the amount of heat it puts out.

#2 companies don't want their product's lifespan to last. This isn't the golden age of technology like the 1950's when everything was built to last because companies still had integrity and a name to protect. Now we're bombarded with inexpensive imports and our american companies have had to compete with and since our economy has been all but destroyed they have to compete for the bottom dollar. So they threw the integrity with their name out the window.

#3 Not every falut is intentional. You think you got bad with these silly batteries that basiclly oly erase your saved game files. Ewwwwwww... Take a look at the Amiga 2000 computer. With it's nasty barrel batteries that are soldered directly to the board. They will leak. And when they do they'll eat your board. You have to clip them out and solder in a battery socket if you want the batteries features.
>>
>>3978831
Size of the batter. The battery in a Yellow pokemon GBC game is smaller than the Red and Blue variants. How much mAH the battery holds compared to how much is needed to sustain the memory. Quality is also an issue. Some of the Japanese batteries from the 80's were F'n fantastic.
>>
>>3976783
uhh, maybe back in the 80s...
Flash memory has been around commercially since 1984. Even then, it was 15,000+ cycles. In the 90s, most flash was in the 75k-100k cycles range.
Modern flash is 250k+ (some as high as 1M, or even 10M).
>>
>>3976552
What do you mean "eeprom write cycles exhausted", have you ever heard of a single report of this ever happening to anyone or to any game, or are you just talking shit based on theoretical electronics that might take millions of years to bear out in reality.
As was said there are like 10 games that use battery-backed saves.
>>
>>3977668
bump
>>
>>3976552
I think it's great.
>>
>>3979264

I dunno, man....75,000 cycles sounds like a lot until you're 10 or 20 years down the road, then not so much.
>>
>>3976552
I've never wanted an N64 but this has been common practice when getting used Genesis carts for a long time now. Not a big deal if it's a game you want, and sometimes replacing the battery restores old saves from other people which is always neat to discover.
>>
>>3980531
It still sounds like a lot as long as you aren't playing the game every day and/or saving dozens of times per play session. Those chips can also be replaced if necessary.
>>
>>3980531
That's more than 10 saves every single day for 20 years. If you need 20 years of daily savescumming for a game you might want to pick something your better at for a hobby.
>>
File: 0982345.jpg (77KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
0982345.jpg
77KB, 640x480px
>>3976552
>>
>>3976552
>EEPROM Write Cycles Exhausted

How? Are you a time traveler? I find it quite unlikely for ANY N64 cartridge to have had that many write accesses since production.
>>
>>3981595
Even then it's per cell, so not all cells are going to be changed every save. Most games have more than 1 save slot, if you use one saving every day for 30 years you can then move onto slot 2. Reminder: 75k is the minimum value it could be, 100k+ probably more likely, and 100k is only what it is gauranteed to last, while it may well last several times that.
>>
>>3982019
N64 cart EEs would have probably been rated for 100k minimum 300k expected. I honestly don't think you could wear one out in a lifetime unless you specifically tried by automating the process.
>>
>>3976789
The chinese carts work with everything except animal forest and the DD games
>>
What if I think soldering is fun?
>>
>>3981595
>>3982019
>>3982423

OK....You guys sound like you know what you're talking about.

Gonna trust you on this /vr/. Please don't let me down.
>>
>>3977426
It does what it says, just plug and play. Same compatibility as the Everdrive v1 so check which games need patches. If you like the n64 it's worth it.
>>
>>3982431

I'm really not confident in the workmanship of the Chinese, though.
>>
>>3978018
Game carts weren't considered coveted collectors items back in the 80s and 90s. Why put forth the effort of making a kids toy, which you would generally assume expends it's ability to entertain a single household within 50-100 hours at most, work perfectly for a century? Especially when that would have added cost to production? Games were already retardedly overpriced back then.
>>
>>3981624
snorted my drink. Nice one anon
>>
>>3982473
>Why put forth the effort
Because it's less effort than the alternative
>that would have added cost to production
Wrong
You simply have no experience with electronics production. Many standard parts are rated for 100 years, 1 million writes, etc. There is no point making something designed for less because there would be no cost savings.
>>
>>3982450
I guess but for me at least the supposed difference in quality of official everdrives just isn't worth the price difference.
>>
>>3977613
Post pics of your slutty daughter, fag
>>
>>3982432
What are some good projects for beginners to practice / get better at soldering?
>>
like others said replacing the battery isnt too hard. did it for my pokemon crystal on GBC. its the only game i still have from when i was a kid and the only pokemon game i ever beat so its kinda special to me so i had to fix it.
>>
>>3976552
I'm wondering if there's a service that will burn a ROM hack onto a cartage.
>>
>>3984683
Lurk on Craigslist for broken consoles/cartridges for parts. Then get yourself some desoldering wick and see if you can take off a component and put it back on. The first time I used my iron was for a wii remote because I was a dumbass and ripped a speaker wire out. It went ok. Practice makes perfect.

Here's some basic tips:

1) know how hot your iron is. If its more than 40 watts, I wouldn't leave the iron on a board for more than 2-3 seconds.
2) Use Rosin core solder cause it bonds pretty easily.
3) Flux is your friend. Use it. But also clean it away with alcohol when you're done.
4) If you have Michael J Fox hands you should just give up now..
>>
I spent $6k on a complete n64 game set. then one battery exploded and melted battery acid through the cart. before I know it all the carts are exploding in my man cave. loud crackling and heavy black plastic smoke everywhere. all my ikea shelves are fueling this giant inferno. i learned my lesson that day.
>>
>>3988805
>Stacking games vertically
You deserved it.
>>
>>3987524
If I have a temperature monitor, what are some good temperatures?
>>
>>3988805
5/10. My belly mildly shook like a bowl full of jelly.
>>
>>3976576
I do a decent amount of soldering(mostly just Pokemon Gold and Silver carts) and I've only soldered one SNES game, a copy of Super Metroid, and it was easy as hell, you just need not be a moron and have the right battery with the correct terminal prongs.
Thread posts: 91
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.