[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

itt : literal 11/10 art directions

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 13

File: grim.jpg (351KB, 1200x630px) Image search: [Google]
grim.jpg
351KB, 1200x630px
itt : literal 11/10 art directions
>>
>>3976178
goddamn this game was so engaging, even if the controls and puzzles were pretty average/ unimpressive

just goes to show a successful game developer shouldn't be a shut-in autist who only plays other video games like everyone is nowadays, but should take inspiration from other media
>>
>>3976208
It really fell apart after Year 2 though, 3 and 4 felt rushed as hell
>>
unbelievably overrated game
>>
File: OWFKYLQ.gif (622KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
OWFKYLQ.gif
622KB, 640x480px
>>3976178
Great game, really shows that early 3d has a charm to it and doesn't have to look dated. I believe a remaster came out awhile back, I should check it out.

Around the fifth generation of gaming it seems art direction became more of a focus I feel. I feel like with fifth gen developers seemed to want to make games "more" then just games. Before games really were looked at for one major thing above all, their gameplay. But here developers started doing more, story, art, and music were now getting more complex.

The prerendered backgrounds of this era really are quite nice even today. I'm neutral on FFVII myself but its prerendered backgrounds are amazing.
>>
File: sam max hit the road.jpg (104KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
sam max hit the road.jpg
104KB, 1280x720px
Sam & Max: Hit the Road had very nice art direction. The comic book style translates nicely into pixel art.
>>
>>3976347
fuck off
>>
File: 37479-Ridge_Racer_Type_4_[U]-3.png (63KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
37479-Ridge_Racer_Type_4_[U]-3.png
63KB, 640x480px
>>
>>3976208
This.
>>
I think I bought this game within the past year

I know I did for Pc but there was some goofy OS shit that wouldn't let me play it

I should give it a shot
>>
>>3976208
>just goes to show a successful game developer shouldn't be a shut-in autist who only plays other video games like everyone is nowadays, but should take inspiration from other media

Jew mexican normie fags should be game devs? Double so not fine, fampai.
>>
>>3976375
the website for this game is still up
>>
>>3976208
As a game artist, I've got folders full of artists of totally different eras and styles. Usually we'll be discussing the game concept early on and I'll immediately know how I want it to look in my head, the folders always have artists with similar qualities to their work that I'll study from. After I've done a handful of mood-pieces and mockups and gotten the hang of the style, I'll form a style guide that takes all the elements and brings it together. For more specific details like props, I just do a fuck load of googling, movie screenshots, own photography and compile mood-boards.
>>
File: 33122171310_dba6ba26f9_o.png (159KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
33122171310_dba6ba26f9_o.png
159KB, 640x480px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JynxfbAhXW0
>>
File: Axeandhammerdn0.jpg (178KB, 514x389px) Image search: [Google]
Axeandhammerdn0.jpg
178KB, 514x389px
>>3976643
Strangereal has the coolest operating systems
>>
>>3976218
I felt this way too.

Then again, it's been years, and maybe I was too harsh on it.
>>
File: skull2.jpg (49KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
skull2.jpg
49KB, 256x256px
Quake 3 always felt extremelly right for me
even had a folder with some textures in jpg form thaat i used as a mosaic background in my screeen ssometimes
>>
>>3976178
Just like R&M
>>
It's not really "art direction", but I have a massive hardon for the look of vector games.
>>
>>3976231
really like the world built in ff7, glad we got to see more of it, wish more of the games got sequels tho,
even the bad final fantasies have worlds i'd love to see more of
really bugs me tho how that mbv reference became a play for gackt to quote
>>
>>3976280
I miss LucasArts ;_;
>>
>>3976178
Just played it through after many years, comfy game indeed
>>
File: ff7background.gif (301KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
ff7background.gif
301KB, 640x480px
>>3976231
Those pre-rendered backgrounds have something to them that I rarely find in other games.
>>
File: texas.png (68KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
texas.png
68KB, 320x240px
>>3977196
It was already a play, Cid talks about seeing it when he went to Midgar as a test pilot if you talk to him on Disc 3 Highwind

>"They've been doin' that play every summer since I was a kid."
>"An' I remember seein' it just once..."
>"That was when I was in Midgar interviewing to be a pilot."
>"I had some free time and thought I'd catch the play."
>"Now, I'm no big fan of the theater or anything."
>"But this thing put me to sleep, just like I thought it would."
>"Finally during the last scene, the guy next to me woke me up tellin' me my snorin' was too loud."
>"So about all I really remember of that play is the end..."
>"The sister of the lead asks her lover,"
>"Do you really have to leave?"
>"And the guy says,"
>"I promised. The people I love are waiting."
>"......I don't understand. Not at all. But...... please take care of yourself."
>"Of course... I'll come back to you. Even if you don't promise to wait. I'll return knowing that you'll be here."
>"I remember thinking when I heard those lines,"
>"*&%! What the hell's he talkin' about? But, you know... now I'm
not so sure..."
>"I think I understand......"

Of course it doesn't really tell you anything about the play and it's inclusion and "fleshing out" is a complete retcon for the sake of having a tie-in with CC's hamfisted lore.

Also, I'm pretty sure they rehash that whole dialogue verbatim in IX when Zidane is telling some sort of story to Garnet at Madain Sari but IX is just full rehash anyway so
>>
File: Screenshot_20160306_232950.png (33KB, 769x675px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160306_232950.png
33KB, 769x675px
>>3976178
also any Hudson game
>>
File: Cool Cool Toon.jpg (90KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
Cool Cool Toon.jpg
90KB, 600x450px
>>3976178
https://youtu.be/3NI_mYp6mgU
>>
File: neverhood.jpg (343KB, 1675x942px) Image search: [Google]
neverhood.jpg
343KB, 1675x942px
>>
>>3976231
Prerendered backgrounds are my fetish. I wish there was resurgance of point and clicks with prerendered bgs but without hardware limitations such a style is arbitrary if not for the sheer aesthetic.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.