[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was it the most influential RPG ever?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 3

File: hqdefault[1].jpg (27KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault[1].jpg
27KB, 480x360px
Was it the most influential RPG ever?
>>
>>3975997
Was important, but the most influential rpg would be TES probably, given its success.
>>
>>3975997
Ultima isnt good tho.
>>
Maybe Wizardry, maybe Dragon Slayer, maybe Sa-Ga.
>>
>>3975997
Depressingly, it's probably Final Fantasy IV.
>>
>>3976017
>maybe Dragon Slayer, maybe Sa-Ga.
wtf are you smoking?
>>
>>3976001
None of the TES games were influential enough on their own, and even the series can't compare to, say, FF.
Sure everyone and their mothers played Skyrim, but they weren't exactly converted to the genre or anything, people just played Skyrim or Oblivion and moved on back to shooters or whatever.
>>
File: 1363614193546.jpg (2MB, 2244x2634px) Image search: [Google]
1363614193546.jpg
2MB, 2244x2634px
>>3975997
close but no cigar.
Ultima III is the one that inspired Final Fantasy and the other tile-based jRPGs.
>>
>>3976027
This. If only Ultima was more influential.
>>
Ultima I, III and Underworld are probably the most influential games in the series and some of the most influential RPGs of all time
on the eastern front FFIV pretty much wrote the book on JRPGs and FFII was the first one to use the "improve by doing stuff" style of levelling that's so popular now
>>
>>3976052
>what is openworld meme.
>>
>>3976105
I think GTA3 had more to do with that meme
>>
It's definitely not Gothic, which is a shame.
>>
>>3976045
You know how there's comedian's comedians? Ones who aren't popular but who other comedians love because they know the form really well. Those games are developers rpgs and their influence is far spread
>>
Dungeons & Dragons.
>>
>>3976260
I get what you're saying, but I still wouldn't consider their influence to be that strong. Unless I'm missing something.
>>
>>3976260
Saga is a niche game that barely has spawn any influence in developers.
>>
>>3975997
tfw my professor codesigned this game with Garriott
>>
>>3976101
UW more than the rest, since many modern RPGs became first-person-ish games.
>>
>>3975997
its this anon the entire jerpajer genre wouldn't have existed without this shit.
>>
>>3976105
Ultima 1 was already openworld
>>
I'm surprised Ultima 4 hasn't been mentioned. It shifted the genre from dungeon crawling to character interaction.
7 didn't really bring much new to the table and very little that ended up sticking.
>>
>>3976656
And Dragon Quest wouldn't even exist without Wizardry.
>>
>>3976769
>a bad western game influenced a perfect eastern game
>>
>>3976531
>Unless I'm missing something.
If you're missing something, it's probably exposure to Japanese "nerd" culture outside the lens of what foreign markets deem to be profitable.
>>
>>3976769
The connection from Wizardry to DQ is rather vague. Ultima's influence is far more apparent.
>>
>>3976537
This. It sucks, but it's true.
>>
>>3976769
Then this whole question might as well be what was the first not what was most influential.
>>
>>3976831
DQ is popular but what is its influence?
To me DQ4 was the first time they actually did something new in form of chapters.
>>
Wizardry and Ultima by far.
>>
>>3976847
I don't have a horse in the DQ race, just saying going for the earliest is a bit pointless.

I lay the blame on FFIV.
>>
No, the classic Ultima games (I-IV) were more influential to the genre
>>3976001
TES didn't influence shit other than TES and maybe Fallout, and even then it's only because Bethesda made a full fledged TES mod and called it Fallout 3, and then mod that and make it Skyrimjob. If anything, Ultima Underworld was the one that influenced TES.
>>
>>3976853
It's not really the earliest either. There were Japanese console RPGs before DQ such as Hydlide.
>>
>>3976861
no turn based ones though and turned based combat became a staple of the genre after dq thus making it the most influential
>>
>>3976105
>Elder scrolls invented Open world
Next you're going to tell me that Halo invented the FPS
>>
It's quite funny how at least 5 of the Ultima games are arguably the most important RPGs ever.
>>
>>3976017
>maybe Sa-Ga

Is this some sort of /vr/ shitposting or is this series legit good?
>>
>>3977002
The series is awesome if you're into games with robust RPG mechanics, but sadly few other games carried on what it was doing.
>>
Although certainly not the most influential, but I blame FFIV for causing all these shitty on rails "narrative-heavy" RPGs that echoed through both the East and West.
>>
>>3977046
FFIV's wedding of more overt cinematic techniques to RPGs was prescient of not just the future of RPGs but the future of video games in general; Square was ahead of the curve on this one. It was where the whole medium was heading regardless of who did it.
>>
>>3977046
Final Fantasy II was already narrative-heavy.
>>
>>3976027
>>3976853
>>3977046

so is hating FFIV a new /vr/ meme?
>>
>>3977168
Hating all of Final Fantasy is a pretty old meme, it's either you hate the entire franchise, or you pin all your hate on one
>>
>>3977168
It's a very old meme.
>>
>>3977097
it was but never at the expense of gameplay
>>
>>3977168
Define meme.

I've hated it ever since it came out.
>>
>>3976953
It's the first RPG that's
1. On consoles
2. Japanese
3. Turn based
Any two of those alone lead to a different game being first.
>>
>>3976012
Depends on the Ultima.
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.