[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

best way to play GB/C games

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 7

How to you like to play your GB/C games these days?
>>
The AGS-101, had a regular gba sp since 2003 until a couple months ago when I saw a 101 for 12 bucks and its been barely used.
Holy shit its so much nicer and brighter.
I know "But duh developers intended for iit to be played on a shitty green dot matrix screen with no light"
fuck that.
>>
>>3975874
on my 3DS
>>
>>3975874
on my game boy color in a well lit room
>>
>>3975874
Via retroarch
>>
File: DSC_3049.jpg (135KB, 635x800px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_3049.jpg
135KB, 635x800px
GBC with good lighting or an AGS-101 with a grip
>>
>>3975874
GBA always made GBC games look strange, like all the colors were more dark and saturated than they should be. I always found it a disappointing way. Original GBC or emulating on PSP or 3DS is the way to go.
>>
On GC gameboyplayer
>>
>>3975913
Wat game?
>>
>>3975927
Jankyuusei
>>
>>3975930
Does it english?
>>
>>3975931
It doesn't english
>>
>>3975937
Why doesn't it english??
>>
>>3975874

on a ds lite or emulator. I have at least 2 gameboy multicarts from china that wont run in my gba or my ds. planning to buy a gb boy colour at some stage soon. guessing it will probably run the multigame carts (and they know how to spell colour right)
>>
>>3975874
I use a Gamecube Gameboy Player

Handhelds were fine back in the day, but these days they're just too inconvenient.

Poor screen visibility, uncomfortable to hold for long periods, batteries or charging.

It's just nicer to play games at home on a console, regardless. I do the same thing with my PSP these days.
>>
>>3975914
gba and gbasp ags-001 have shit-tier screens.
>>
File: image.jpg (70KB, 600x398px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
70KB, 600x398px
>>3975874
>a 101 for 12 bucks and its been barely used

Lucky as fuck. Congrats, anon.

>tfw I spent $80 on an AGS-101 back in 2013
>this was before I realized thrift stores and Goodwill were a viable and cheaper option for old vidya
>now all these fucking resellers and scalpers have been cleaning the stock at these places for quite some time now, and Gamecube games are fucking $60

Gettin' real rough being someone who just wants to play vidya. If it's not modern publishers fucking over the medium, you're getting fucked just trying to get your hands on the old stuff.
>>
>>3976154
whoops, that was meant for>>3975885
>>
>>3976154
I think they may have been sellng it for so low because it didn't have the plus with it and the battery ran out, so it was "untested" or unable to power.
Just plugged it in when I got home, good as new once charged :D
>>
>>3975874
Still have my GBA, but I emulate on my Vita.
>>
>>3976154
I found one for $20 a few years ago. Got Mario Advance 4 for $10 along with it. A few light scratches on the front, but otherwise in very good shape.

Same color as the one I traded-in for a DS as a teenager.
>>
>>3976336
Is there a good native GBA emulator yet, or is the best one the PSP one?
>>
>>3976056
I liked how GBA games looked on it, just gbc looked off. Don't remember which SP model it was but probablu 001
>>
>>3976349
Using gpsp kai is the overall best option right now. mGBA hasn't gotten a complete release yet, but when it does, it'll likely be the best option. It works okay for now, but some games don't run at full speed(one day, Astro Boy); it's actually better in some cases. I'm playing Kingdom Heart: Chain of Memories on it, and it's pretty much perfect for that. Try it for yourself, if you want.

For GB/C, using gambatte in Retroarch works great. You can use the PSP's Masterboy emulator as well, if that's your thing. From what I've seen, gambatte is better.

On an unrelated note, I wish it were possible to convert SAV files to Retroarch format. I'd like to continue playing Pokemon TCG without having to switch between emulators.
>>
>>3976303
>>3976341
You'd think since collecting took off in the past few years that people would know what they're selling and charge ridiculous prices. I guess not.

Makes me have faith in being able to get back the stuff I used to own. Once I come into some spending money I'm gonna hit up some thrift stores. Congrats again, to both of you.
>>
On my phone
>>
>>3975885
Wow, where did you find one for 12 bucks
>>
Either the AGS-101 or actually buying the games from the eShop.
>>
On a DSi.
>>
>>3975949
wat

Pretty sure only GBA games work on the DS Lite. Am I wrong?
>>
3DS with Virtual Console injection
>>
File: 300px-GBP.jpg (24KB, 300x425px) Image search: [Google]
300px-GBP.jpg
24KB, 300x425px
>>
>>3976603
Is that true? I forget.
>>
>>3978678
Just tested the cart will not even fit. GBA only confirmed.
>>
>>3976603
DS and DS Lite, the DSi has no GBA slot. The DSTWO PLUS can emulate GBA on the DS 'playably enough' depending on the game, from what I hear.
>>
>>3978697
To follow-up on that, any DS flashcart will emulate GB/C games almost perfectly.
>>
Fat PSP. The battery started puffing up though so I got an aftermarket one and it's completely shit, so I can't really take it with me anymore.
>>
File: X-Files.jpg (16KB, 425x320px) Image search: [Google]
X-Files.jpg
16KB, 425x320px
>>3978697
Anon, please.
>>
>>3978697
>DS and DS Lite, the DSi has no GBA slot
Wrong
>The DSTWO PLUS can emulate GBA on the DS 'playably enough' depending on the game, from what I hear.
Wrong

Man, how wrong can one be in a since post. Made my chuckle.
>>
>>3978724
On a slightly related note, I'll never purchase any XL handheld ever again. Cumbersome, heavy, bigger screen doesn't really improve on anything.
>>
>>3978747
good for you girlfriend
>>
>>3975914
The GBA screen had VERY low saturation. To compensate, the color pallets used by the GBC were excessively saturated. The combination made the colors look normal. When you play a GBC game on a GBA, you're displaying the overly saturated color pallet on a normal screen, and the colors are all being blown out. This is why most modern GBC emulators have a toggle to desaturate the image to a close approximation of a natural GBC screen.

This is why I don't fall for the AGS-101 meme. No matter how you slice it, the colors will always look off. It's one of the best options for GBA, but not for GBC.

A real GBC outside on a sunny day, at just the right angle, is THE SHIT. There's no ifs, ands, or buts about it. Well lit indoors simply pales in comparison, but is still better than any of the other options.

Honestly, emulating on a phone is fine for everything but platformers, and a real GBC is the best option at an already cheap price.
>>
>>3978729
I didn't say it was an ideal solution, I also misread the initial post which is why I clarified about the emulators.
>>3978734
What the fuck are you talking about? The DSi has no GBA slot, that's a fact. I said the other two play GBA games, and the DSi doesn't. How can you misread a post so hard? 'Made my chuckle.' And the DSTWO thing is subjective on what you consider 'playable'.
>>
>>3978724
That's literally what I said, asshat.

>Pretty sure only GBA games work on the DS Lite. Am I wrong?
>DS and DS Lite, the DSi has no GBA slot.

Context is important.
>>
Played mostly turn based games on a phone in portrait mode. Felt pretty great with a big ass phone. Though since playing Pokemon TCG 1 and 2 I cannot find a better more engaging turn based game to play.
>>
>>3979820
If you're into JRPGs, DQIII is fantastic on GBC, and probably one of the best examples of the genre on the platform.
>>
>>3978774
The GBA ports have garbage color palettes regardless of what display you play it on. What you do is play with the original SNES color palette and sounds patched back in on an OG AGS-101 modded screen.

GBA nirvana
>>
File: 20170508_200413.jpg (593KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20170508_200413.jpg
593KB, 2048x1152px
plebs
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.