[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are these reliable?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

File: dreamcast.jpg (11KB, 600x455px) Image search: [Google]
dreamcast.jpg
11KB, 600x455px
>some parts of game don't load properly
>sounds like a printer when seeking through the disc

I just booted mine up yesterday to play some Hydro Thunder, and the first time it loaded none of the menu music or sound effects played. I rebooted the system, dusted off the disc with my shirt, and then everything worked fine after that.

Was it just the disc, or is my Dreamcast dying?
>>
>>3975679
It certainly could be on its last leg, but the optical drive was always loud. Try different discs and leave it on for awhile. If it doesn't kick off, it was probably a dirty disc.
>>
>>3975679
I'd say the disc. No sense making the worse assumption without reason.
>>
>>3975679
What the hell? My copy of Hydro Thunder is the exact same way, except my Dreamcast loads up every other game just fine
>>
>>3975679
Are you playing an actual disc or a burned one?
>>
Are you playing an actual copy of the game, or a cd-r?
>>
>>3975679
Mine makes a racket when reading discs too, and occasionally needs opening up and having some of the pins cleaning, or else it gets stuck in a rebooting cycle. Other than that it's dandy, and yours is probably fine too.
The lasers in pretty much all fat PS2s crippled over time from through overuse, but because the Dreamcast was kinda crummy they didn't get used as much, and as such will have more life left in them.
>>
>>3975679
Hydro thunder is fucking awesome
>>
>>3975679
It happens with all devices eventually. The Dreamcast is generally reliable I feel.

I've had a few over the years and they all worked real well. But that doesnt mean a few can't be intermittent with problems.

It could just be yours, but dreamcasts are pretty cheap. I'd pick up another if it keeps on like this (or gets worse)
>>
>>3975679

Obviously, it's because you're playing it on a burned CD-R. Yeah, that'll happen. I have burned CD-Rs of games I love but don't actually have right now.

Power Stone and Quake 3 to be precise. Power Stone's audio completely cuts out and Quake will default to this weird fucked up color scheme that'll make you feel like you've eaten mescaline.

The eye, while capable, wasn't exactly meant to favor CD-R formats as opposed to the proprietary GD-ROM. So you're gonna run into some shit sometimes.
>>
>>3975679
Some bad advice in here. Hydro Thunder is one of few games that initially got a bad disc press when it was released. There's a second version of the game (says NEW! on the case I believe) that plays fine, but the first version has its share of issues. Just play almost any other game, or track down the other Hydro Thunder version.
>>
File: s-l1600.jpg (205KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
s-l1600.jpg
205KB, 1600x1200px
>>3977341
Wow, it's easier to tell the versions apart than I thought. Just pick up the Sega All Stars version. Your Dreamcast is fine.
>>
>>3976826
One of my favorites.
>>
>>3977341
>>3977350
Can confirm this. You can experience similar issues with CD-R ripped versions of games but the OG version of Hydro Thunder will do it on a retail disc.
>>
The only disk reading issues I've had with my DC are sometimes (rarely) in Skies of Arcadia, battle scenes will refuse to continue to load. Like, after everyone attacks no more options pop up and the camera just continues to pan around. The most annoying thing is with my copy of Shenmue. The disk is in pristine shape, but it usually just won't load. The furthest I've gotten is after the opening cutscene. I've even had the disk resurfaced and that didn't help.
>>
>>3981717
What's more annoying is that I paid $15 for Shenmue, and the price of the game has gone up too much for me to want to buy another copy.
>>
>>3981725
That's why you buy dupes champ. Fail extra credit if you had a chance but didn't because muh "no man I'll leave it for some bro who needs it". That copy is now selling for twice as much on ebay.
>>
>>3975679
Unfortunately, no

All Dreamcasts are ticking time bombs, regardless if you play regular discs or CD-Rs

You can temporarily fix the issue by adjusting the pots, but if not, you have to buy a new GD-Rom drive, which is a depleting supply
>>
CD-Rs wear down the laser faster than burned discs because there's less contrast between the 1s and 0s, meaning the laser has to read some areas multiple times. It's kind of like the difference between clean and scratched discs.
>>
disc drive went on 2 that i had. doesnt read most games at all. tried adjustments and cleaning but nothing
>>
>>3975679
I love the Dreamcast, but the optical drives in them are notoriously shitty.
>>
Did those SD card to GD-ROM adapters get sorted out or are there still issues with video skipping?

>>3976838
Not the disc drives.
>>
>>3986520
Proof?
>>
>>3987747

It's bullshit: CD-Rs have very nearly the same albedo as a pressed compact disc, which the DC was compatible with.
>>
maybe don play on a dc played pso to lv200
>>
>>3975679
>>3976261
Hydro Thunder had technical problems in its first run. They re-printed it and the case says something like "HOT! NEW!" on it to let you know that's the one that works. It may be that. Even if the case says that you may still have the disc of the old version.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.