[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are Sony Trinitrons such a common recommended CRT line? I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 5

File: IMG_4576.jpg (21KB, 184x184px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4576.jpg
21KB, 184x184px
Why are Sony Trinitrons such a common recommended CRT line? I know they're nice quality, I had one, but there are people who are so devoted to them and they get talked about so much that sometimes I feel like it's some sort of weird cult.

I don't mean to offend anybody, if you like them, that's fine, but it's not often that I'll see people reccomend a general line of CRT brands as much as I'll hear people talk about Sony.
>>
It's probably the most recommendable, is all.
>>
>>3975367

maybe because Sony TV were common as fuck in the early 90's, and all those models have good quality image/sound. I have a kv-19ts20 and it still works despite multiple falls. Sadly is so old it only has coxial input, so is in my cellar collecting dust. I use a small Goldstar 14" TV. But it has some audio problems in video mode, i have to increase the volume when im playing games.
>>
>>3975367
They're pretty good quality, pretty reliable, and pretty common; so they get recommended.
>>
>>3975367

Sony invented the technology, literally every CRT built before 1996 was using 50 year old CRT technology and every CRT after 1996 was a Sony knock off. Literally.
>>
File: how the developers intended it.jpg (43KB, 337x191px) Image search: [Google]
how the developers intended it.jpg
43KB, 337x191px
>>
>>3975475
What is this from
>>
I got one of these from a family member for retro gaming purposes but was disappointed as soon as I noticed the fucked up convergence/geometry. It's hard as fuck to find a decent CRT that hasn't been messed up in this way.
>>
Thanks to copyright they are literally the only aperture grill consumer CRTs.

Well, not LITERALLY I guess, I think there were some late ones someone else made.
>>
>>3975367
All the high-end Jap manufacturers made good reliable sets, Sony in particular was very popular and their model ranges have been documented well by a/v enthusiasts, so it's easier to recommend stuff that's well known. Consumer Sony sets are still cheap and plentiful, and are an excellent starting point for anyone interested in the crt hobby.
>>
>>3975625
Yep, Mitsu had their own AG tubes after Sony's patent expired.
>>
>>3975383
>pretty good quality, pretty reliable, and pretty common
>so they get recommended
Seems logical enough, yet you get reactions like
>hurr MUH MEME ITEM
>>
>>3975458
Because Sony's Trinitron patent expired in 1996 and others were free to make their own implementations of the technolog (such as Misubishi's "Diamondtrons" etc.). The founder of Sony said in the early 90s that he considers the Trinitron tube Sony's proudest achievement.
>>
>>3975479
Probably some 80s home computer manual, possibly Atari, Commodore or Amiga (most of these units were used with TVs rather than monitors because it was much chaper and basically everyone had a color TV already anyway).
>>
>>3975643
Diamontrons.
>>
>>3975698
Were there any other companies who copied off of Sony?
>>
Because kids want a crt for le authentic retro experience™ but they can't bring themselves to play with the cheap consumer tvs most of us had nor the shitty video signals, that's why they're obssesed with RGB cables to make the games look like in their emulators. Literally posers and hipsters.
>>
File: 1494024321459.gif (3MB, 200x150px) Image search: [Google]
1494024321459.gif
3MB, 200x150px
>>3976083
>RGB looks like emulators
>>
>>3976083
RGB looks nothing like that upscaled pixel diarrhea you get on emulators.
>>
>>3975367
Probably because Sony has and still makes the best consumer TVs?
>>
>>3976281

I have a PVM, it's so sharp it looks like a emulator on a PC with a thick black scanline overlay on top, I only paid $50 for mine though, kek to all these losers paying hundreds
>>
>>3976286
How so?
>>
>>3976406
Are you incompetent or just young is the better question.
>>
File: IMG_4835.jpg (13KB, 256x192px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4835.jpg
13KB, 256x192px
>>3976447
No, I just want to hear reasons of why you think that.

Is there anything wrong with asking?
>>
>>3976479
>why you think that.
Has nothing to do with what I think. It's history. History you were apparently too young to witness. The Sony company dominated the TV market for over 30 years and has always been a favorite of reviewers and enthusiasts.
>>
>>3976312
Got mine for free. Sucker calls others suckers hehe xd
>>
>>3975458
Actually Sony bought the patents of the trinitron from some French labs (cause Thomson didn't want it) but still they're the one that mass produced quality tubes using such technology.
Other manufacturers like Mitsubishi and NEC made great sets too.
>>
>>3976492
You must have serious autism if you think knowing about 1990s television sets makes you somehow superior to others.
>>
>>3977120
Ya fuck me for knowing about the topic of the thread. Great logic there kiddo.
>>
I don't know why. Americans, probably. I recommend the Commodore 1084s. It's cheap, easy to find, and takes RGB. You just have to make a cable for the console, but that isn't difficult.
>>
>>3975367
It's just a meme to trick bandwagoners into blowing a fuckload of money.
>>
>>3977125
He was asking why Sony is supposed to be better, and you started acting like a pick about instead of, you know, EDUCATING him. Is your life so poor that you have to stroke your ego on the Internet using your TV history knowledge to feel even halfway decent?
>>
>>3978406
God why are you being such a crybaby poopypants?
>>
>>3975367
They're about the best as far as TVs go. That doesn't say much since TVs are absolute shit compared to shadow mask computer monitors.
>>
>>3978372
>free on the street
>a ton of money

what did he mean by this?
>>
>>3978406
+1 rebbit upboat to this sir
>>
>>3975367
They're just a name brand that is relatively common. There are plenty of alternatives made by companies like Mitsubishi and NEC that are just as good or better.
>>
>>3978841
Outside of their lines of pro monitors, the only good TV sets from either of those companies were the Diamontron. And if you're getting an NEC monitor you're probably paying a whole lot more than you would for a Sony.
>>
>>3978814
There's at least three Sony's at my local thrift store and they're all about $3 to $5 a piece. They're too big and heavy to be worth having. Now if they were studio monitors. I'd travel across half the state to get decent one.

I have a Samsung Gaming Monitor/TV besides a 20'' Sony. Have any of you guys used those Samsung's with the fold out speakers? The sound that comes from that thing is Amazing. It does stuff with the sound that the biggest modern hardware doesn't even begin to do.
>>
>>3979247
Almost any vintage consumer audio equipment kicks the shit out of modern consumer stuff. They really don't 'make them like they used to' when it comes to audio gear.
>>
>>3976312
>I only paid $50 for mine
So, you overpaid for it and got one during meme wave.
Topkek kiddo.
>>
>>3979302
You're an idiot.
>>
>>3979249
Almost any vintage consumer audio equipment ,that cost $1000s back in the day, kicks the shit out of modern chinkshit consumer stuff. They really don't 'make them like they used to' when it comes to audio gear.

Ftfy
>>
>>3976083
I think I would have liked RGB back then too
>>
>>3978406
it's because he doesn't actually know anything beyond people say they're good and the ones he's seen look ok
>>
>>3979430
Even the consumer junk from then can be better than modern chinkshit, imho. My 13" Sears TV has one speaker and sounds way better than my HDTV. I have a tiny Realistic stereo amp that sounds great too, and it is just a little plastic thing, certainly not a prosumer Marantz kind of thing.
>>
>>3975367
I have one, they're good but they're overrated. The aperture grille is too sharp.
A good shadow mask CRT is always gonna be much better.
>>
I had a dream about Trinitrons last night because of this thread.
>>
>>3981070
I watched as a man put my penis in his mouth this morning, but this post is still the gayest shit I've seen all day
>>
>>3981074
So you've never had things you've experienced during your day come up in that night's dream?
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.