[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Saving people in vidya as a game mechanic

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 14

Wanna take a look at this under-utilized mechanic, /vr/? Being a bad guy can be fun, sure, but rescuing people is where it's AT.

I'm not talking about saving someone as an END goal, I'm talking about saving them throughout the game. An obvious example being the Metal Slug series, where the POWs give you an item for helping them out. Sometimes it's just an item that gives you points, other times it's a weapon to make the game easier. This rules and is a classic example of how to incorporate saving people into your game.

More often than not I'm seeing civilians only be there for points, that's super lame, as they should have more of a purpose! Like in House of the Dead 2, where if you save someone you go down a completely different route than if you didn't. They should incorporate MORE into the mechanic, is my point.

The best use of the mechanic has got to be saving someone and having them actually help you out as computer-controlled character that moves along with you. Examples of this would be Hyakutaro in the metal slug series or the lady in NAM-1975.

Second best use of the mechanic would probably be saving a character and being able to use them, like in Gain Ground.

What are your thoughts, /vr/troopers? What are some of your favorite examples of saving people in vidya?
>>
abe's oddyssey, I guess?
>>
File: monkey_idle_headbang.gif (37KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
monkey_idle_headbang.gif
37KB, 256x256px
Metal Slug. Specially in the later entries made a great use of this mechanic
>>
Megaman X6
>>
jackal
>>
>>3974737
YEEEEOOOOOW
YEEEEEOOOOWWW
HERE BOY
GET HIM
>>
>>3974793
>Megaman X6
FACK YOU MAN
X7 was even worse because you finish the stage just to discover some Reploid died and you never even knew who it was.
>>
>>3974818
that game was amazing
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IVJEAwbLxVY
>>
File: gfs_43884_1_6.jpg (13KB, 314x282px)
gfs_43884_1_6.jpg
13KB, 314x282px
>>3974826
>the true X6 experience being playing quad screen simultaneous random generations of the same levels against a friend doing the same and the syncing up the video and audio in youtube post-production
I mean for really guys what do you think caused the command mission timeline to branch out, Sigma becoming a Jenovah's witness and buying his own island?
>>
Moonwalker
>>
File: Lemmings.gif (83KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
Lemmings.gif
83KB, 500x500px
In a Randian bootstrap twist, the greatest /vr/ vidya about saving is those that save (or, the greatest of them, sacrifice) themselves, in Lemmings.
>>
>>3974728
i always liked the mechanic in the N64 version of duke 3D

i never got why you couldn't do it in the PC version
>>
File: SOS.jpg (260KB, 640x353px) Image search: [Google]
SOS.jpg
260KB, 640x353px
SOS/Septentrion on SNES. You have to find people and help them to escape from a sinking ship.
>>
Shinobi has you saving people throughout the level but what has to take the cake is the moon walker game (Made by the same team as shinobi) where you save kids in their pyjamas.
>>
Rescuing the humans in Robotron is the key to a high score.
>>
File: Choplifter_1.png (2KB, 640x410px) Image search: [Google]
Choplifter_1.png
2KB, 640x410px
Choplifter and H.E.R.O.
>>
>>3975012

I wish that picture existed in a poster-size resolution. Gorgeous piece of art used for that box cover.
>>
>>3974728
With my brains and your brawn, we'll make an excellent team.

I-I'm... slowing you down, am I?
>>
File: 48294.png (104KB, 300x262px) Image search: [Google]
48294.png
104KB, 300x262px
Iron Tank's pretty good.
There's also Jackal and Cobra Command.
>>
>>3974728
You don't have to save other dolphins in Ecco, but if you do it gets you powerful abilities.
>>
File: !jackalhqdefault.jpg (28KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
!jackalhqdefault.jpg
28KB, 480x360px
Jackal
>>
Is it just me or is Spyro a fucking terrible game for this with annoying as shit dragon NPCs who are all like "You know I could help you but you better go find this other guy to actually help you." "Here is some kind of cryptic hint Spyro, go genocide these living creatures made of gold cause we really need that gold back" "I know our unborn children have been kidnapped and all but I'm kind of too tired to do anything about it. Good luck Spyro!"
>>
File: jfgvela.gif (961KB, 500x311px) Image search: [Google]
jfgvela.gif
961KB, 500x311px
People usually hate that aspect of rescuing tribals in Jet Force Gemini. I think it can be a bit tedious, but it's also part of the challenge, it didn't ruin the game for me.
>>
File: Gatknight.png (689KB, 943x709px) Image search: [Google]
Gatknight.png
689KB, 943x709px
Being able to play as Henry, rescuing children in the same was he was rescued as a child is objectively the greatest experience of ANY 3D Castlevania.
>>
Baldur's Gate 2 becomes a LOT more challenging when you aim to complete it without a single "civilian" death. E.g.

- don't kill or allow to die any of the thralls in the planar prison, not a single one

- don't allow any of the servants in Nalia's keep to get killed by trolls

- don't kill any of the mind controlled thralls in the secret Illithid base in the sewers

- save all the elves fighting in Suldanessellar

Etc. - this makes the game extremely tactically interesting, much more so than any crappy mod
>>
File: 536e304aa7496.png (13KB, 256x227px) Image search: [Google]
536e304aa7496.png
13KB, 256x227px
>>3974728
THANK YOU
>>
File: 05d.png (11KB, 256x227px) Image search: [Google]
05d.png
11KB, 256x227px
>>3979958
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfuXGpxij8g
HALP!
THANK U!
>>
>>3978045
It's just a self-imposed challenge.
>>
>>3974728
Megaman X6 did this, and it was awful. The only way to get Chip upgrades and Heart containers was through saving Repoloids. dear lord this was a pain having to reset your game, have to go through the awful stage design and have to save the damn reploids was a pain in the ass. I hope to never encounter this shit again.
>>
>>3974728
you'd like alien 3 for SNES
>>
>>3980557
But those missions were required, not optional?
>>
Magic Sword, the prisoners are basically weapons.
>>
>>3980492

Well yea, it's not a baked-in gameplay mechanic if that's what you mean, it's just a thing you can do if you want for "roleplaying" reasons
>>
>>3974728
If saving people is mandatory (or necessary to get something unique) then it's terrible.

If you can get by without saving them, while saving them gives you something useful - then it's great.

An example I haven't seen in this thread yet: Unreal. Some of the Nali you save (if you do) will lead you to secret areas with weapons and ammo that you won't normally get until few levels later, also DP upgrades.
>>
File: dk2mink2.gif (21KB, 334x264px) Image search: [Google]
dk2mink2.gif
21KB, 334x264px
In Dragon Knight 2 you save girls that have been turned into monsters by a curse. As a reward they visit you the next time you rest.
>>
>>3980557
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhM8twrIKz8
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.