[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

PC-88, PC-98, and TurboGrafix

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 2

File: Sorcerian.jpg (136KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Sorcerian.jpg
136KB, 1920x1080px
Sorry to ask this, but I'm incredibly high right now and I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Greentext to get you to where I'm at.
>friend introduced me to retro VGM soundtracks
>liked most of what I heard
>decide to look up the games and how to play them
>don't really like emulation, never been a fan
>look up PC-88
>US version is called Turbografix
>get prices on it, not too horrid, could definitely do this for some good gaming
>first game I wanna play is Sorcerian, had the coolest soundtrack out of the things friend showed me
>Sorcerian is for PC-88
>cool cool. Maybe I'll like the game better if I know what the fuck is going on, but I'll settle for moon-runes I can't translate for now.
>looking at other games and see Popful Mail, see PC-88 version then PC-98 version
>questions all around
PC-98 version sounds nice, looks good too
Want to get PC-98 stuffage, but didn't see US version, don't know if TurboGrafix will run PC-98 games, pretty sure it won't actually.

I'd like advice on the whole PC-88 and PC-98 thing, see what options there are for them. Any really good games for PC-98 in English? And which system is better? Is there a better way to play the games on those systems?

Sorry, I really don't know anything about these things except for the Turbografix, I'd heard about it growing up, but never met someone who had one.
>>
>>3973706
Maybe reword "Is there a better way to play the games on those systems?"

More like, "Is there a better way to play the games from those system?"
I don't know if games ended up getting ports or being remade for other consoles and perhaps it made something better or worse about it. Sorry.
>>
Also, OP again, What other games would you recommend for these systems, /vr/? I'd like to see what other good games there are for it. Seems like a cool thing and the soundchip? soundcard? they have in it makes everything sound awesome. Both 88 and 98 seem pretty awesome to me.
>>
>>3973716
PC-88 and PC-98 were Japan only. The TurboGraphix had some great games from Irem, Namco, and Konami. NEC handled the Sega ports, but some people like them. Naxat, Falcom, and Hudsonsoft had some good orginal games as well.
>>
>>3973716
Turbografx doesn't play pc-88 or pc-98 games at all

Only buy the turbografx, it also has its own versions of Sorcerian and Popful Mail

Pc-88 is trash, and pc-98 is only a weeaboo machine

The turbografx is called the PC Engine in Japan, and it has a load of shooters, RPGs, and platformers

Games are on both hucard and cd. Here's some recommendations to get you started

Make sure you buy the PC Engine Duo-R model

>Ys book I and ii
>Ys book IV
>bonk's revenge
>air zonk
>castlevania rondo of blood
>salamander
>new adventure island
>bomberman 93 and 94
>lords of thunder
>river city ransom
>parasol stars
>dungeon explorer
>Galaga 88
>ninja gaiden
>ninja spirit
>super dodgeball
>panic bomber
>outrun
>soldier blade
>force gear (buy from pceworks, ISO not available online)
>>
>look up PC-88
>US version is called Turbografix

Dude no. It's the PC-Engine that's TG. You'll need to use PC-DOS or run the emulator for PC-98 or premade disk images that autorun the games.

There are different versions of the Dragon Slayer series on other versions but all their music will sound different and chances are the recordings you heard are from the PC-X8 versions.
>>
>>3973767
Okay, so is there a way for me to get the PC-88 and PC-98?

>>3973781
Thanks for the suggestions, definitely looking into them.

>>3973786
This is the link my buddy gave me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Gm6D4iFzo8&t
Listening to it right now, actually.
>>
Y's, Rondo of Blood, Devil's / Alien Crush, Snatcher, R-type (better than arcade perfect), Ninja Spirit, Blazing Lazers, Gate of Thunder.

I haven't played all of these, but it's a fairly comprehensive list of shmups on the system.
http://archives.tg-16.com/complete_list_of_tg16_pce_shooters.htm
>>
>>3973793
>Okay, so is there a way for me to get the PC-88 and PC-98?
You could, but you'll be importing everything. If you have the time and money, go for it. I'd personally get a Sharp X68000 instead of those.
>>
>>3973793
>Okay, so is there a way for me to get the PC-88 and PC-98?
There's a pretty healthy market for used PC-88 and PC-98 hardware in Japan, but it's not super accessible for people outside the country, and especially not for those who can't understand Japanese.

You can always emulate them, too.
>>
>>3973781
>Pc-88 is trash, and pc-98 is only a weeaboo machine
What the hell are you talking about?
>>
>>3973793
Japanese and basic computer knowledge is a must, if you don't feel like getting ripped off you may as well save some money on go on a trip to Japan and ask around some shops and you may find a good deal on it.
>>
>>3973916
The only reason to get a PC98 is too play extremely Japanese games.
PC88 gets hate from X1, FM7 and MSX fanboys because it got more games despite having "weaker" hardware. Obviously a lot games are better on other platforms like the 98 but it's still an important piece on its own. The VA series was quite powerful though it ultimately met the same fate as the other PC98 competitors.
>>
>>3973929
Well... it's a japanese computer.... so it has japanese games?
Don't see your point, you can use a PC for more things then only playing video games.
>>
>>3973816
How does the x68000 compare? Is there a particular reason for that one over PC-88/98?
I don't have much frame of reference on this, sorry.

>>3973820
Not too big on emulation. Just doesn't feel right to me. I have a few CRTs and some other retro consoles, I've still got my old monitors from way back as well. I figure, since I've got part of the set-up here, why not try to use it?

>>3973924
I've got a buddy here who served his mission in Japan and sometimes when I get Famicom stuff for him, we'll play it together and he'll translate while we play. Maybe he'll be able to help me.

>>3973929
I'm unfamiliar with these other ones. Got anything I should look up for them specifically?
>>
>>3973939
If he still lives in Japan then there is no reason not to ask him to try to get you PC-98 especially if you love old PC's in general.
Don't forget to also ask him to get some system discs and a game or two so you can get started.
>>
>>3973942
He lives here in the USA with me, now. He travels back and forth all the time so he can visit family, though. Thanks a ton, anon.
>>
If you're looking for PC-98 games in English, there's a small movement of fan translators growing but it's still super early. We did finally get the PC-98 E.V.O. game in English though, and if soundtracks are your thing give that one a play.
>>
>>3973949
It's better to un-EOP yourself and play whatever you want then to rely on fickle fantranslator cucks.
>>
First of, look up what the differences is between the PC Engine (Turbografx) and the PC-88/PC-98. Besides that go with the PC Engine versions if you want very great redbook audio
>>
>>3973937
Nowadays? Do you use a PC98 as a word processor or for spreadsheets?
I can understand there are some extremely specific programs that only run on them but for /vr/ it's obvious to use it to play games.

FM Towns is a Japanese computer yet it has appeal to reverse-reverse weeaboos.
X68000 is Japanese but it has games for arcade-weeaboos.
PC98 however is for weeaboo-weeaboos.
>>
>>3973949
I heard the soundtrack to that and my buddy also got me the soundtrack to Grounseed, which I really liked. Both of those look cool. Not sure I'd be super into the games themselves, but I'll give anything a try just to be sure. Hope I'm wrong.

>>3973953
What is EOP?
>>
>>3973968
>What is EOP?

"English Only Pleb". Generally it's used in English discussions about Japanese games to denote someone who doesn't know Japanese. Other languages you might know are disregarded, cause after all, Japanese is what matters in such discussions.

So "un-EOP yourself" means "learn Japanese". It's definetly the best thing you can do if you want to enjoy PC98 games.
>>
>>3973968
To play Grounseed you must know japanese, at the end of dungeons you are asked a question and need to input it, if you get it wrong it's Game Over
>>
>>3973974
Oh, I agree with that then.
Definitely helps me in my line of work.
>>
>>3973963
You can use an old computer nowadays just like you are playing 20 year old games nowadays
Like I said before, it's a japanese computer so it has japanese games, there is nothing "weeaboo" about it
>>
File: kkk speech.png (23KB, 243x260px) Image search: [Google]
kkk speech.png
23KB, 243x260px
>>3973978
That's gonna be difficult. Maybe my buddy can help me on that.
>>
>>3973939
x68k has a fraction of the games and is fairly limited to floppy disks, mostly 5.25".
It has a fancier design than NEC's beige box aesthetic.
>>
>>3973982
Yeah, I can see it being useful for ALTs.
>>
>>3973990
It probably had some cool games for it, though. I may not purchase one right away, I'm trying to get to play Sorcerian right now, but I'll look into it.
>>
>>3973939
The PC-88 series used 8-bit Z80 based NEC processors. Sharp X68000 used a 16-bit 68k CPU. Capcom used the Sharp as a development platform for CPS1 games.
>>
>>3973996
Well, since we're on the subject, how much of a world of gaming would I be opening myself up to if I learned Japanese? I've never really looked into it. Are games better in their original moon-rune?
>>
>>3974005
A lot, I'd say. NEC computers are obviously a one to it, but even consoles like PS1 or Saturn have tons of Japanese exclusives.

I dunno if you could say translated games are better in Japanese, but you'll have that warm feeling of knowing you're playing the original as it was intended by the game's creators.
>>
>>3974002
So, the Sharp X68k was a stronger machine? How does it sound compared to the former?
>>
>>3974014
Both have quite different games but there are some ports (usually X6800 ones are better) for example Ys.
Generally it's harder and more expensive to find stuff for X68000 then for NEC PC series but if you have money and want to get in both then go for it since both are very different experiences.
>>
>>3974012
Hmm... got a PS1, was thinking of getting a Saturn at some point.
Probably means I should do it. Cool deal.
>>
>>3974014
Faster than the 88's anyway. PC-98 series began using Intel CPUs later on which were faster. The Sharp had better audio too. I guess what really matters are the games though. Any of these machines would be neat to own.
>>
>>3974020
Might have to, sounds interesting.
Was there anything exclusive for either one that's really good?
>>
>>3973998
If you want Sorcerian, look into the Sorcerian remakes for Windows 9x, Sorcerian Forever and Sorcerian Original.
>>
>>3974026
They all sound pretty great, to say the least. Maybe I'll be able to make it work.
>>
>>3974014
Power doesn't matter when most games are 1:1 ports from PC98.
>>
>>3974026
http://vgmrips.net/packs/system/sharp/x68000
http://vgmrips.net/packs/system/nec/pc-8801
http://vgmrips.net/packs/system/nec/pc-9801

It's not exactly the same, but you can listen.
>>
>>3974027
Check out:
refuge.tokyo/x68k/x68000.html
refuge.tokyo/pc9801/pc9801.html

They list out all the major releases with various genres that you might be interested in for both computers.
>>
>>3974042
Oh, that's great.

>>3974045
Thanks, anon. Listening now.

>>3974049
Oh cool, thanks a ton.
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.