[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Happy 25th, Wolf3D.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4

File: WOLF-T.png (82KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
WOLF-T.png
82KB, 640x480px
Happy 25th, Wolf3D.
>>
>>3971792
You're probably just a false flag, but wof3d is a classic game.
>>
Happy b-day to my first PC game.
>>
>tfw your favorite games are getting old
>tfw you are getting old
>tfw the 90s stopped feeling like it was 10 years ago
>>
>>3971780
Happy birthday, shitty Doom with nazis!
>>
Even Wikipedia remembered.
>>
>>3971860
I don't want to don my tinfoil hat, but I can't shake the feeling it was done to fabricate a conspiracy by someone.
>>
>>3971873
Or, stick with me on this, someone at Wikipedia likes the game.
>>
>>3971780
What's this game about?
>>
The game featured "nazis" as enemies because that was about the only way they could get away with having human enemies in a game like that at the time. It wasn't a problem with Doom and other shooters later as the trail was blazed already and after Wolf3D it wasn't as controversial anymore.
>>
>>3971840
See >>3971949. If Doom hadn't Wolf3D coming before it, it most likely would be banned. But shooting at "nazis" was obviously ok (after all, whoever objects shooting nazis must be a nazi, hurr durr) and by the time Doom came along the initial shock at shooting at humans in a highly realistic (for the time) game was gone.
>>
>>3971949
>>3971956
Apparently some of the devs didn't like wolf3d because they didn't want to make a violent game to begin with. They wanted to make something more like commander keen.
>>
Ahh the good old days when companies didn't give a fuck about copyright and money. I love ID Software!
>>
>>3971949
>>3971956
Yea, it's the "if you want to depict graphic violence which would be too controversial, make the victims Nazis and you have silenced >70% of would-be criticism" rule which also made smashing someone's head with a bat just for kicks in "Inglorious Basterds" to be "no big deal".
>>
>>3971993
Funnily enough, the game had a "revoked" ("beschlagnahmt") status in Germany not because of its violence, but because... it depicted "Nazis" at all (which is generally not allowed in Germany at all in any media unless the context is strictly educational or historical).
>>
>>3971970
Yes, most notably Tom Hall who was fired by Carmack somewhere halfway through Doom's production due to "creative differences" or somesuch. Commander Keen was really Tom Hall's vision and the move to violent, ultra-realistic (for the time) shooting games wasn't his cup of tea at all.
>>
>>3971780
Good game I should replay it and get lost in a maze.
>>
is there any mod for wolfenstein that lets you play as a german soldier and shoot jews and/or commies?
>>
>>3972378
No, there isn't. wolf3d has very little in terms of modding, you'll have to make your own.
>>
Not a big fan of FPS games but I'm here to show my respect to this game. I remember playing it in my uncle's PC, it was one of those mindblowing moments of seeing a technological marvel for the first time at the correct time.
>>
>>3971780
That game is probably the most underrated ever in term of influence. Most people don't understand that it was almost as influential as Doom.

Amazing game to this day and still one of the best FPSes ever made. Blew my fucking mind as a kid.
>>
>>3972378
If there isn't then there's probably one for Doom.
>>
>>3972405
It had a lot of mods iirc but mainly just new maps.
>>
File: e2m8.png (142KB, 372x389px) Image search: [Google]
e2m8.png
142KB, 372x389px
Now all I want to do is get lost in that one huge fucking pushwall maze all over again.

Without a minimap.
>>
>>3971780
best FPS, all years
>>
>>3972445
It paved the way for Doom because if Doom came out first it would have caused a gigantic shitstorm, get banned, and id would have gone bankrupt. (As >>3971949, >>3971956 and
>>3971993 pointed out already)
>>
I actually started playing this pretty recently. It's quite a fun game, and actually much more intense than I thought it would be. Running around on low health is pretty scary.

What control scheme is recommended? And which one did most people play with back in the day? Computer mice were common place by 92 right? I assume most people used a mouse + keyboard setup to play.

As much as I'm enjoying the game, none of the control schemes feel all that great. That's pretty much my only criticism.
>>
>>3971839
I feel you, bro. Only in my case it still feels like the 90's was the "current day" just yesterday. I still can't fully grasp the fact that it's all over now and I'm just an old fart, who's no longer relevant.

But hey, happy birthday, best game of 1992. You were fun while it lasted.
>>
>>3972997
That's rough anon.
Surely there's something out there that can mentally bring you into the present...
>>
>>3972997

Go out and make some new memories today, its never too late.
>>
>>3972445
> and still one of the best FPSes ever made
It really wasn't.
It's actually a fairly bad FPS game.
>>
>low health
>pools of blood became available to drink for 1 health
that was fucked
>>
>>3973035
Yeah, it leaves a lot to be desired as far as enemy design, weapon design, and level design are concerned. Doom and its contemporaries/Build descendants just have so much more variety that I never bothered playing more than a few levels of Wolfenstein.
>>
Mein Leben!
>>
Wolf3D is a great game, almost as fun as Doom. and better than most Doom 2 levels
You should absolutely play the original 3 episodes.
>>
>>3971780
It's only 25? With how poorly it aged I thought it was 35.
>>
>>3973734
No that would be you.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.