[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /vr/ think of Ape Escape?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

File: 250px-ApeEscapeNACover.jpg (24KB, 250x245px) Image search: [Google]
250px-ApeEscapeNACover.jpg
24KB, 250x245px
What does /vr/ think of Ape Escape?
>>
>>3969060
I only ever played a pizza hut demo of it, but I remember thinking it was really cool. Definitely made good use of the dualshock back when no one really knew what to do with the second analog stick or the r3/l3 buttons. Did Hideo Kojima work on it or was he just a fan?
>>
>>3969062
He was just a fan, i think.
Some people though Konami owned the IP.
>>
>>3969060
good game in retrospect

when it came out the concept of little thumbsticks was new and alien to me and I hated it. I wasn't very comfortable with regular joysticks either. the game felt all floaty and gross

d-pads were basically perfect for everything and I saw the game as indicative of a thing I liked being ruined for months by a stupid fad

I'd love to play it again
>>
>>3969082
>Not on PSN except in japan
>The only attempt at a remaster was an awkward PSP port
>>
>>3969060
Playing trough for the first time.
Its fucking awesome, I am also amazed how they integrated analog even in minigames where every stick control left or right ski and you have to keep them parallel to keep fast or turn each ski bit different for a closer turn in that ski racing game.
>>
>>3969104
That's just another reason why Ape Escape should be remembered more often.
>>
>>3969113
Why?
>>
Best PS1 platformer. 3 was good, loved the MGS minigame. Never played 2, heard it was bad.
>>
>>3969119
Because it was important for its use of the dualshock i guess?
Too bad Sony messed up this IP.
>>
>>3969060
The only good in the series.
One of examples of how PS2 killed off many series that were nice on PS1.
>>
>not retro
>>
>>3969247
It wasn't a series on the PS1.
>>
>>3969128
How did they mess it up?
>>
>>3969269
Not him, but look at the last few games in the series.

I personally think that 2 and 3 are great games, but everything outside of the "main" line is garbage.
>>
>>3969269
I will speak from 2,3 experience, don't know if any other games were made:
Very annoying, childish protagonists. Much younger and japanese target audience than AE 1. Presenting annoying popculture references every step you take. Was enough to drive away platformer fans, series kicked the bucket.
>>
>>3969271
Its not even that, IIRC the last game require PS move and wont let you play with sixaxis.
>>
>>3969278
It's not worth buying PS move, it was a shitty game.
>>
File: ape.png (45KB, 1234x375px) Image search: [Google]
ape.png
45KB, 1234x375px
>>3969269
Something like this
>>
>>3969271
Which last games?

>>3969276
What does your experience matter?

>>3969293
tl;dr version?
>>
>>3969293
>good trilogy
shitpost
>>
>>3969282
If I wanted illuminated dildo to signal a Boeing to land in my ass I would buy myself illuminated dildo and went to the airport.

I just wanted to sit home playing vidya like a normal human bean and not spaz out with PSmove, yes I know I have to move to fucking play the game.

>tfw vidya industry is never going back to times when devs and publishers cared what people want and not tried to jew them out of their money.
I mean they tried but still not as much as now.
>>
>>3969304
>times when devs and publishers cared what people want and not tried to jew them out of their money
when did this happen
>>
>>3969306
When games werent affected by some faggots sperging on twatter but were devs vision, when companies like sega stood by gore in mk when games werent casualized as fuck and when we got tons of weird jap vidya.
>>
File: c424f828.jpg (50KB, 792x446px) Image search: [Google]
c424f828.jpg
50KB, 792x446px
I like it
>>
Sony's own Metroid/Mega Man/Bomber Man/Silent Hill/Star Fox/Conker at this point

>Tfw we are getting closer to its 18th birthday and Sony will forget about it
>>
its good and seriously challenges your hand to eye coordination. It plays best with headphones. It reminds me of Pokemon Snap for the N64 in some ways. The menu screens have a heavy Nintendo vibe.
>>
Love everything about this game/series.

First game has great midi-music, excellent sense of adventure and accumulating strenght/skill over time with the availability of new "gadgets" every several levels. And, as several anons have already mentioned, it was an excellent tech demo for the dual sticks, and arguably necessary for the idea to become incorporated by future consoles.

The Japan-exclusive sequel where you collect monkey pants is ridiculous but comfy as fuck, and is a blast to play drunk with friends.

Ape Escape 2 is a little frustrating from a narrative standpoint for trading the protagonist for a copy-pasted clone of the first game's hero, but gives a lot more personality to the monkeys and makes you feel like you're stepping into their own little society to catch a glimpse of how they live their lives, than just hopping through various levels with monkeys in it. The English version also has all the voice actors from the original Pokemon show, so there's some nostalgia there.

3 lets you do more elaborate catches, so it's fun to see how creative you can get with cornering the bastards.

The racing game for PSP had an easy learning curve but is fucking hard to 100%. Pick it up if you want a challenge.

Academy is frustrating but has a nice Wario-ware vibe.

The Mario Party one is fun to blast through in a day or two.

Million Monkeys feels like you're involved in as real a war as a goofy anime game with evil super-intelligent monkeys and robots can be, and has some tear-jerker moments. Modded my PS2 to get around the region-lock, it was worth it.

Haven't played the one where Specter shrinks the lab and you have to use it to control the monkeys. There's also a PSN-exclusive where you use motion controls for shoot-em'-up-style monkey-catchin'.

tl;dr: Amazing first game, great series as a whole, a few duds in the line-up, but every one of them tries something new. Wish it had been more popular in the US.
>>
>>3973686
I wish AE was more popular too to the point it had a fanbase making interesting stuff
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.