[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Remember GlidenN64?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 5

File: 800[1].jpg (48KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
800[1].jpg
48KB, 800x450px
http://www.avclub.com/article/get-involved-internet-make-nintendo-64-games-look--207950

GlideN64 was hyped up as the "savior" of N64 emulation. You just had to make a little donation. All it was, was a project to pay some programmer to work on it. And idiots fell for the hype. Well, 3 years later, and we have nothing to show for it.

N64 emulation is so fucked up, Banjo Tooie is still impossible to run without glitches no matter what you do. NONE of the N64 emulators work properly whatsoever.
>>
AngryLion will save us!
>>
>>3968139
I'm rooting for CEN64 or the Mupen64plus vulkan branch.
>>
>$6,000
What the fuck? For that amount of money you'd better be uncovering full n64 documentation or spending time learning how the custom microcode works or something. Who the fuck would have fell for this?
>>3968143
>I'm rooting for CEN64 or the Mupen64plus vulkan branch.
It's probably going to be the latter. Vulkan is the future.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the reason that N64 emulation was still so fucked in 2017 was that we still don't have all the documentation about how the systems GPU works?
>>
>>3968293
>Who the fuck would have fell for this?

Idiot normies.
>>
>>3968293
>we still don't have all the documentation about how the systems GPU works
Oman archive. emudevs have had it since like the late 90's. No excuses.
>>
>>3968305
Then what is it then? just pure incompetence on part of everyone involved in the n64 scene?
>>
>>3968316
they made it good enough to play bing bing wahoo and super smash bros and that was it
>>
>>3968316
Don't listen to the retards in this thread, the real problem comes for undocumented features which tons of games use or features that developers used in a not intended way to get some effect, on top of that the complexity of the N64 hardware itself which can't be replicated by PC Graphics APIs, even low level ones like Vulkan or DirectX12.

Work to reverse engineer Nintendo 64 games ucodes to make a high level emulation for it is always being worked on.
https://github.com/gonetz/GLideN64/issues/778
>>
>>3968134
>Nothing to show for it
>Literally the best N64 graphics plugin ever released

Banjo Tooie works fine on it. It's almost as good as playing the Xbox Live Arcade version.
>>
>>3968361
There are no undocumented features other than those related to the inner workings of RSP microcode. To my knowledge, RDP is fully documented, and the N64's CPU is an off-the-shelf MIPS R4300i.

There's nothing complex about RDP either...it just had a lot of features that are non-compliant with DirectX/OpenGL/Vulcan/whatever due to pre-dating those standards.
>>
>>3968487
A lot of games don't use Nintendo's ucodes at all.
>>
Wait a second, let me get this straight

Some guy crowdsourced thousands in cash to help improve N64 emulation and nothing has changed?
>>
>>3968494
"A lot" is a bit of a stretch, but essentially, if RSP's workings were properly understood then that would be the "holy grail" of emulating custom microcodes.

One of the only reasons games with Nintendo's microcodes have better emulation is because Nintendo actually provided documentation of their own microcode to all developers (in API form), but that doesn't exactly help to explain how one would go about making their own microcode.
>>
>>3968504

Yes. The crowd sourcing was just to pay him for a year to work on it. He had no secret plan or anything. Idiot normies fell for the hype as they always do.
>>
>Buy a flash cart
>Problem solved
>>
>>3968531
JUST
>>
File: 1493273170596.jpg (206KB, 549x708px) Image search: [Google]
1493273170596.jpg
206KB, 549x708px
>when Nintendo almost succeeds in making a console emupirate-proof by making it a clusterfuck of horrible design

Quantum computing will be the end of this, just you watch!
>>
>>3968134
>N64 emulation is so fucked up
Stopped caring a long fucking time ago

got a flash cart and never looked back, I suggest other people do the same
>>
>>3968553
N64's GPU was excellently designed though, and designed by one of the most talented GPU engineering groups ever (led by Dr Wei Yen) who went on to design the Gamecube's GPU, and the Radeon 9700 (one of the greatest PC GPUs of all time).

Stop shifting the blame off the shitty N64 emulation community.
>>
File: 1239315484841.jpg (114KB, 332x383px) Image search: [Google]
1239315484841.jpg
114KB, 332x383px
>>3968570
>designed by one of the most talented GPU engineering groups ever (led by Dr Wei Yen)
>>
>>3968134
What's wrong with it? I played Banjo Tooie using Gliden64 a while ago and couldn't see any bugs.
>>
File: 1474769477755.jpg (132KB, 795x1036px) Image search: [Google]
1474769477755.jpg
132KB, 795x1036px
Since it's a good bet you should have the original hardware to get the most out of N64 gaming, how safe is it to buy one over Amazon, and what price range is a good range for one?
>>
>>3968581
His team was American
>>
>>3968596
You were supposed to laugh, David, not correct me.
>>
>>3968598
It was funny. I love those shitty early 00s cases.
>>
>>3968613
Isn't that a Transformers case though? There's a goddamn Chevy logo on it.
>>
>>3968535
>not portable
>consoles won't last forever
>>
>>3968553
>being this ignorant about both the N64 and computing in general
>>
>>3968134
Until it can be run accurately there's little point anyways.
>>
>>3968701
>not getting the joke
Takes autists of all kinds.
>>
>>3968134
I thought I remembered GlideN64 being a decent wrapper all the way back to the Xbox N64 emulator but maybe not?

>>3968293
>>3968143
>Mupen64plus vulkan
Would be great if it doesn't just get abandoned

What's up with so many N64 projects especially ones based on Mupen getting shit on by their own community and abandoned? N64oid was the best Android N64 emulator but its dev just abandoned it before analog bluetooth controllers were really a thing and they never got support in it.
>>
>>3968793
the horrible truth is that you eventually realize N64 was pretty shit to begin with and the wind goes out of your sails.
>>
>>3968804
How sad that they don't go in already knowing that. Once you've accepted it as I have since the 90s it's a pleasant surprise when you find something new and good in the library. Maybe that's why a disproportionate amount of the work goes to disassembling individual games. That would make sense.
>>
Considering N64 systems don't go for anything less than $100 these days, emulation is becoming more critical.
>>
>>3968783
>basic knowledge invalidating "joke"
>y-you're an autist...!
>>
>>3968868
you are m8
>>
>>3968868
>literally not understanding comedy
>>
File: n64.jpg (485KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
n64.jpg
485KB, 1600x1200px
>>3968868
>basic knowledge
Good computer engineering doesn't befuddle programmers for 20 years.
As this cat said- >>3968804
It's shit, Jim. Yes, the goddamn thing had an uber-powerful GPU for the time, but the whole works taken together was a shit show.
Only Nintendo and their developer bitch Rare really knew how to consistently work with the thing, likely because Nintendo, being the cunts they can be at times, wanted to make the system hard to exploit and pirate. And as it seems to have been somewhat of a success.

That's the joke you missed. Nintendo's infamous crybaby antics in preventing copyright infringement are legendary, and the N64s bullshit computer science pedigree is no exception to that rule.
It's like when they moved to disc. They had to opt for a reverse-spinning drive and basically steal the mini-DVD standard and reverse it because they were scared about people being able to burn their games to disc.

>AHA! We'rr show you, firufuri gaijin kozuku! We'rr make disuku supinu za bakuwarudo! MUDA DA!
The company is run by madmen.
>>
>>3968837
What? You can easily get one with the PSU and video cables included for $70.

Granted I spent $120 on mine though, but that was because I got an expansion pack, S-Video cable, 4 controllers, and a memory pak.
>>
>>3968885
The guy you are replying to is retard but Jesus you aren't any better.
>>
>>3968139
No
>>
>>3968293
It's a month's salary for a mid-level programmer.
>>
>>3968134
>GlideN64 was hyped up as the "savior" of N64 emulation.
Honestly anyone who donated money towards this was either loaded or had no idea what they were getting into. I remember when this donation campaign went up, people were rolling their eyes then and people are rolling their eyes now because N64 emulation and the people who maintain the scene are incompetent

Giving someone money so they can set aside time to work on something isn't a guarantee that they'll accomplish anything in the allotted duration, ie kickstarter
>>
>>3968535
>>3968557
Which site did you orders yours from?
>>
>>3973248
I got mine from krikkz, a bit pricey but worth it since the knockoffs are shoddy crap that die easily
>>
>>3973251
Thanks. Yeah, I want to avoid that for sure.
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.