[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sonic music Masa's demos

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

File: super sonic.gif (12KB, 320x200px) Image search: [Google]
super sonic.gif
12KB, 320x200px
What do you think of these mixes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLHgNWfIuDY
Also some of the demos were recorded in 50hz instead of 60hz. Is there an easy way to speed up the track without messing up the quality?
>>
>>3967856
>Is there an easy way to speed up the track without messing up the quality?
Yeah youtube has a speedup function.
>>
If this is supposed to be a Work In Progress, why does the beta sound so different?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6SzBJe-NDMs
>>
>>3967861
I'm talking more of a permanent change, I'd like to have copies on my computer with the right speed.

>>3967870
I'm guessing they re-recorded it with the modern versions of the instrumentation they used then. its clearly not an FM recording
>>
>>3967856
Im still waiting for MJ sonic 3 demo tapes to get released.
>>
>>3967937
goldwave or transcribe. Audacity will also speed up audio but you lose quality.
>>
>>3967956
that would be a fucking glorious day
>>
>>3967976
Or any DAW software
>>
>>3967956

The full sound samples from S3 got dumped on SR like a decade ago.
>>
>>3967856
The composer wasn't an FM programmer but he could work a Yamaha Synth, so he used the Yamaha closest to the mega drive's sound chip and made the tracks on that. To help the sound programmer identify all the notes, it was played back at a lower speed for the composed mix. Now obviously the files were sent to the programmer as well, but the Masa demos were the "this is what it should sound like but faster."
>>
>>3968053
Link where?
>>
>>3967856
>Also some of the demos were recorded in 50hz instead of 60hz.

No they weren't - those are the original demo tracks, which were later edited when put into the game. Some were sped up, some were changed in other ways. But they didn't suddenly record some in 50hz.

For example Green Hill has a longer intro in the demos. They removed that.
>>
>>3968986
But they did. If you listen to any genesis VGM player and set the speed from 60hz to 50z it will sound identical in pitch and speed to some of these demos.
>>
>>3967856
>Also some of the demos were recorded in 50hz instead of 60hz
what gives you that idea?

they're demos, things usually change for the final. Masato was in a band before he did music for Sonic, he wasn't on the side that transposes compositions into the game, that's something the programmers do. the person who's idea it was to change the tempo on certain songs could either have been Masato or the sound programmers, for whatever reason
>>
>>3970704
>who's
*whose
>>
>>3967856
increase the speed by 1.25x to sound american
>>
>>3968053
>>3968943

https://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=8001
>>
>>3970856
>all the links are dead

well thanks i guess
>>
>>3967856
That's not how recording works, these sound like they were actually sequenced/recorded by hand, not as code on Genesis/MD hardware. A lot of demos are slower than the final song in general, though you can just speed it up in Audacity if you really wanted to. The only way to do it without losing quality is to speed it up and also change the pitch in the process; speeding it up without the accompanying pitch shift requires audio processing and results in quality loss, though it will be less noticeable at lower percentages.
>>
>>3970179
These are actual audio recordings sequenced with MIDI and/or played live and then multi-tracked on tape or in a DAW, they aren't comparable to a video game soundtrack like that. The 50/60hz comparison makes absolutely no sense in an audio context unless the recordings were manipulated after being recorded. It's possible these recordings are slowed down in the iterations we have available, but it's highly likely that the actual demos were this speed.
>>
>>3971185
You're right. I feel like an idiot. Still, I wish some of the demos were at a faster tempo
>>
>>3971235
I don't disagree, anon. I find in all genres of music that demos are often slower than the final product. As a musician/songwriter myself that even holds true; it's kind of a strange phenomenon. Knowledge of audio recording techniques isn't particularly common-place, there's no need to feel like an idiot; I was overly harsh.
>>
>>3967856
wow that sounds disgusting
the real music from the game is better
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.