[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mech Sims

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: MechWarrior_2_cover.jpg (64KB, 400x467px) Image search: [Google]
MechWarrior_2_cover.jpg
64KB, 400x467px
Promised a guy on /v/ that I'd upload my WASD-style control config for MW2 so here it is:
https://www.mediafire.com/?a8n0jl41864lyqj

I included a control list along with some instructions and additional information in the archive which you can also view it here:
https://pastebin.com/Y7XybRa1

Also, I hope you are able to get MW2 on Dosbox running properly enough that you have music working. The soundtrack is quite good and the game feels kinda dead without it.

Feel free to use this thread to discuss mech simulators and shit, if you want.
>>
>>3966092
Was this game any good?
>>
>>3966116
No clue.

I've been meaning to give this series a try, but I don't have a clue where to begin
>>
>>3966174
As someone who only plays singleplayer and doesn't care about Battletech lore, MW2, MW3 and MechCommander Gold are what I consider to be the best games in the series.

MW2 has more environment variety and "coffee break" missions that don't last too long. More importantly, the combat also feels more fun and balanced overall. Compared to MW3, taking out an enemy mech's arms first is actually viable, and you can't easily kill mechs by destroying one of their legs, you have to destroy both. The AI is also somehow more responsive and challenging in MW2. The GBL expansion is crap. The Mercs standalone expansion is riddled with technical issues (weapon hits often not registering is a huge problem), its missions are just plain unfair, and it doesn't give the player much room for experimenting with different mechs and loadouts.

MW3 has gear progression and is much more detailed and satisfying in portraying the feeling of piloting a 50+ ton mech. The weapons also feel way better, lasers actually feel like lasers and the autocannons kick so much ass. The Pirate's Moon expansion is good, but brutally difficult at certain points.

MW4 has some merits, such as having more meaningful differences between mechs (the hardpoint system which is infamous among BT purists) and more detailed and complex mission design, but the combat in the game just feels like crap compared to MW2 and 3. It takes forever to kill a mech and the weapons feel extremely underwhelming. The Black Knight expansion is good and features some great missions. The Mercs standalone expansion is tedious crap (dull and repetitious mission design), but decent enough and preferable to MW2:Mercs if the idea of creating and leading a merc company appeals to you.

MechCommander Gold is a different type of game, but very much worth playing if you have even the mildest interest in tactical games. Amazing mission design and rewarding resource management with an overall difficulty that is tough but mostly fair.
>>
>>3966116
>>3966174
I had MW2: Mercenaries. I thought it was really fun, yeah. There's a mercenary mode where you have to manage and repair your mechs, choose contracts, etc. But I was too dumb for that and just played the normal campaign mode. Kind of want to replay it and try the merc mode now.

This song is pretty nice when it plays during a mission: https://youtu.be/_wXxpQKpVOc
>>
>>3966219
Yeah, I think MW2 had the coolest damage mechanics. I remember taking guys out by using my jump jets and landing on the cockpit. Great stuff. Music was fantastic too.
>>
>>3966354
Well, I hated it. The missions are very complex, unpredictable and greatly stacked against the player and the mission briefings don't provide nearly enough detail so that you can reasonably plan for and accomplish them in your first attempt. Furthermore, you have to pay huge amounts of money just to fucking rearrange parts on your mech. The bullshit economy seems to be designed around having the player grind the randomly generated missions, which are all shit of course. Simply moving a weapon from an arm to the torso can wind up costing just as much as the payment for doing one random mission. It's ridiculous.
>>
Hey it's that anon who asked. Thanks a lot.
>>
>>3966395
good thing i have the official strategy guide for the game.
>>
How do you get this working in DOSBox? It crashes for me before I can start any missions.
>>
>>3966395
Oh, really? Maybe I didn't suck as much as I thought I did.
>>
>>3967406
does your config look like this?

core=dynamic
cputype=auto
cycles=max
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.