[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Modding/Repairing a PS1 (SCPH-1001): Worth it? Advice, Etc.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: ps1_schp1001.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
ps1_schp1001.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
Visiting my aunt and uncle the other day, I was helping get ready for a family party when I saw an old Playstation (pic related) sitting amidst the clutter. It belonged to their sons, who are all now older with children. It crossed my mind that it might either be a neat thing to have either to refurbish/sell, or learn how to mod with, or whatnot.

I cleaned out the inside with alcohol - it was pretty gross with grime on the plastic and cobwebs/dust inside the case. I noticed that the model number was SCPH-1001, which apparently is one of the earlier models.

Doing some reading it apparently has the notoriety of having superior audio quality among playstation models, though I admit that the whole thing seems probably a bit hyperbolic ("BETTER THAN $3000 CD PLAYERS!!!!").

So I've thought I might keep it and perhaps use it to play import games. The problem is is that the motor doesn't seem to cooperate when playing games. It plays audio CDs just fine apparently (tested it out with my Death Wish film soundtrack, ho ho). But I've only gotten one disc to really work with the model, and that is a Namco Museum disc. Others, like Ridge Racer or Resi Evil just don't load, being stuck at the opening sting with the PlayStation logo.

I am looking for some advice here, /vr/: is it worth it to buy a replacement motor (do people have experience with those)? And to go through the process of modding the console? Is it better to just use a region-bypass disc (like Xpress)? Or am I completely barking up the wrong tree? Is it just more cost-effective to sell the unit as junk and buy a pre-chipped PS1?

Would much appreciate any advice!
>>
SCPH-1001s have better sound quality than Hi Fi sound systems.
>>
I could prolly get this answered with some Googling, but Imma ask here instead: which are the most reliable? Easiest to repair? PSX vs PSOne?

Is the parallel port really that valuable?
>>
>>3964618
Earlier PS1 units (before PSOne) use a plastic holder in the read head. As a result, they warp from time and heat. Try this: put a game in, flip it upside down, and try to play. Chances are, it'll work. PSOne units use a metal holder, and swapping it in is super easy. You should buy a broken PSOne and donor the part in. Or just outright buy the part. However...

>>3964635
The Parellel port is very valuable. Content crawlers and cheat devices use it, but more importantly the PSIO needs it.
My suggestion to you is ignore the disc drive for games and buy a PSIO so you can load the images off of a memory card.
>>
>>3964650

So if I didn't give a fuck about PSIO a PSOne is better?
>>
>>3964657
Stock read head is better. Sound is a little worse, but hard to notice honestly. And devices that internet with disc content won't work (Game Enhancer, Game Shark, etc). If you don't care about the last point, yeah, it'll be better for you.
>>
File: 0 (1).jpg (13KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
0 (1).jpg
13KB, 480x360px
>>3964625
KEK
>>
>>3964657
SCPH-5XXX is the best model going. It has everything worth having:

Best audio DAC (same as launch version)
Best graphics VDP (same as all later models including PSOne)
Reliable laser with metal sled
Parallel port for gamesharks etc (can be flashed to act as a modchip)
Serial port for linking two consoles (multiplayer)

The only thing it lacks is RCA ports but the audio out on those is gimped without removal of the coupling caps and replacement of the op-amps anyhow. Multi-AV is the best source of audio on unmodified 100Xs.
>>
>>3964683

But this dude >>3964664 just said PSOne had the metal sled thing. Is it both or what?
>>
>>3964704
All models after 100x have metal sleds and the entire mechanism moved further away from the power supply.
>>
>>3964724

OK, thanks.
>>
If you feel confident enough to remove the rails and take the laser out you can use the laser from a PSOne in its place, the ribbon cable is long enough. You can probably use the metal rails from one, too. A basic Playstation modchip should also be dirt cheap something like $10 total for all the above parts (depending on where/if you get metal rails). Low-medium-tier technical skill required, should be an okay learning project.
>>
See, now why can't they have a resource like this for PS2?

I mean, I get why we don't, but I'm not finding shit in general
>>
Just turn it upside down and it will work
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.