[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I get into the CRT hobby? It sounds super comfy, and I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 228
Thread images: 26

File: s-l1000.jpg (138KB, 1000x768px) Image search: [Google]
s-l1000.jpg
138KB, 1000x768px
How do I get into the CRT hobby?
It sounds super comfy, and I see the CRT general threads all the time.
What should I look for in a CRT? What's good and not good? Is there a website I should go to?
>>
File: DSCF4773.jpg (404KB, 1500x1125px) Image search: [Google]
DSCF4773.jpg
404KB, 1500x1125px
>>3963950
>>
I hope you realize this thread is just an invitation to autism.
>>
>>3963950
Lad, CRTs are meme hardware. Save yourself the trouble and spend the time and money on something else.
>>
>>3963962
So there's really nothing wrong with just buying a good, working CRT from Goodwill?
>>
>>3963950
I don't see how much of a hobby there is to it beyond getting and using a crt television

I kinda want a different one because it's giant and the aspect ratio is 16:3

not gonna spend money on it tho
>>
>>3963967
Other than supporting Goodwill, not really.
>>
The amount of underage in this thread is immense.
>>
>>3963991
do go into detail
>>
File: low quality bait.jpg (16KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
low quality bait.jpg
16KB, 600x600px
>>3963994
>>
>>3964000
how the tables have turned
>>
File: m64sm1.gif~c200.gif (122KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
m64sm1.gif~c200.gif
122KB, 200x200px
>>3964021
>>
it's a lot of fun especially if you like to figure out how these things work. Lots of knowledge to take in. Not for everyone, but come by the /crt/ thread and ask some questions if you have them.
>>
>>3963950
Not really a crt hobby but more of a videophile thing.
>>
The best quality CRTs to get are PVMs and BVMs, but Commodore RGB monitors (especially the 1084s) are also a good, cheaper alternative. If you have any experience making cables the 1084s is what I would recommend.
>>
>>3963950
>can't use games on this piece of shit wihout a remote
>haven't found a universal remote that will work
fuck this tv
>>
>>3963950
Just find a cheap/free on in the size you want and you'll be happy. Only go for RGB if you want to after playing around with a consumer grade set, don't start with it. You really can't go wrong, any CRT will be better for retro games than your run of the mill HDTV.
>>
>>3964856
you can change the channel right? so wouldn't connecting your consoles through RF still work?
>>
Go to Goodwill and get a name brand CRT with s-video and/or component inputs for ~$10. If there's nothing other than Walmart junk like that Durabrand, you can use your judgement about if you want to get a taste. As long as it has a composite input it won't totally turn you off but be aware that a high quality one hooked up right will be much better. On the flip side if there's a huge selection in your area you may specifically want a Sony Trinitron (they have squarer pixels) but some people unironically prefer the way shadow mask screens look which is fine too.
>>
>>3963950
There's one sitting in front of my neighbours house. Somebody come and get it.
>>
>>3963950
Go back there.
>>>/v/
>>
>>3964907
Hold onto it for me, I'll be right there.
>>
>>3963962
Free on the side of the curb is too much time and money for you?
>>
>>3963962
>Save yourself the trouble and spend the time and money on something else.

>claims that CRTs are trouble

they aren't, they just work

>tells you to spend time and money on something else

so as opposed to something that is free or almost free and just works he should spend time and money on "something" else

seriously kys
>>
>>3963950
Even a hunt at Goodwill will give you something decent.
At least look for something with composite, S-Video and Component.
Give best priority to Sony Trinitrons, they're the best consumer CRTs money can buy.

But if you want the best quality, search in Craigslist.

The best ones are the PVMs and especially the BVMs. They are also Sony but they are of even superior quality to the legendary Trinitrons.
Unfortunately, you may have to pay up a lot of money for one of them, especially the BVMs.
I personally use the D32E1WU BVM and I love it.

The Samsung flat-panel CRT I bought from a Filipino immigrant for my bedroom and CRT research reasons was also quite good for the size but it had a lot of problems concerning the geometry and linearity.
It was still pretty good for LaserDiscs, VHS, DVD and 6th gen+ games.
>>
Tldr
God damn nerds. Theres a new crt thead everytime im here.
I used to work in computer recycling and not only is the technology useless and dying fast, but it basically has nothing good in it. Australia sends all that shit to China (recycling...) and they either get kids to break them down and poison them with the fumes or they send them to fat white americans.
If this isnt bait please consider suicide you pathetic mindless fuckwit. Oh ps ive never seen 2 crts the same so good luck with your ocd nostalgia bull shit because you never played it "right"
>>
>>3965732
>getting mad
>over format preferences

we /v3/ now
>>
>>3963994

Probably has to do with referring to CRTs as a hobby as well as the general expression of mysticism toward them evident in the OP's post (not to mention the pretty blatant reference to wanting to hop on a bandwagon), when anyone who is not an underage used CRTs as just regular TVs and monitors back when they were simply the displays that were available. Of course I'm not saying that posters over the age of 18 won't prefer CRTs, they are probably less likely to describe them in a way that indicates extreme unfamiliarity or foreignness, sounding like they view CRTs as mysterious relics from a time before they were born or at the very least before they were aware.

But hey, I'm just guessing at his meaning.
>>
>>3963962
This.

>>3963967
Good and working are usually things you don't find in Goodwill, the changes of finding a CRT that's actually worth it in a Goodwill is minicules, most is just shitty TV's that aren't even good as TV's.
>>
>>3964891
>>3963991
If you think just any CRT is worth getting you literary are underage.
>>
>>3965803
I agree, it's a damn joke nowadays.
>>
>How do I get into the CRT hobby?
Buy a CRT.

>What should I look for in a CRT?
Does it turn on and display a picture? Does said picture not have any color bleeding?
>>
>>3965857
That's literally the hipster way.
>hurr it's a glass tube with a electron gun so it must be great!!!!
>>
>>3965803
actually I was talking more about cancer like >>3963972
>>
>>3965876
A working CRT with no color bleeding is all you need. Anything more than that ventures into caring more about jerking off over what your pixels look like instead of actually playing video games.
>>
>>3965950
Hipster detected
>>
>>3965950
>Anything more than that ventures into caring more about jerking off over what your pixels look like instead of actually playing video games.
You think people where happy with the shitty CRTs they used 30 years ago just because they could not afford better?
Underage BTFO.
>>
>>3965950
>>3965992

Not hipster, I think the same way.

CRT autism, RGB autism, "Version 1.0 instead of 1.1 or you are not playing" autism...

Thats just like teraflops, fps, high settings and more shit that people care nowadays. Here we are supposed to like gaming doesn't we? Lets play the way you want, So...

He is right. If you like CRT feeling (as I do) only you need is that. Otherwise you are getting into

>jerking off over what your pixels look like instead of actually playing video games.
>>
>>3966036
You are underage if you don't know what differences CRTs can have. 90% of them are garbage even as TVs.
>>
>>3966039

I'm 25 and I dont give a fuck about differences. I like my "maybe" shitty CRT. I like configuring it with service menu when I plug my Mega Drive. Pal, /vr/ is about retro games, not about retro TV, or retro technology.
>>
>>3964054
The only decent post so far. Thankfully the /crt/ thread isn't normally cluttered with such rubbish.
>>
>>3966053
>/crt/
do not ever bother with that underage hipster faggot circlejerk hugbox
>>
>>3966039
>no color bleeding is all you need. Anything more than that ventures into caring more about jerking off over what your pixels look like
>You are underage if you don't know what differences CRTs can have

Lotion or spit?
>>
>>3966045
>>3966064
Do you really think colour bleeding is the only thing that can be wrong with a CRT?
OP said he want a proper CRT, he asked what to look for in them and not some half assed shit that people didn't even like when it was new.

You probably never had to use a single CRT without any other option or you are just shitposting.
>>
>>3966045
>vr/ is about retro games, not about retro TV, or retro technology.
Then tell OP to fuck off instead of posting bad advice, he literally asked about a thing that's technology and not a game.
>>
>>3966067
I really don't care. I'll set it to look nice as I see fit, I'd look up proper calibration but I can't be bothered. You look really silly getting upset about something so trivial
>>
>>3966074
>You look really silly getting upset about something so trivial
Well, you look just real dumb about talking something you have no clue about

CRT autists are real annoying, those who only say PVMs and BVMs are the only ones to go, but what's more annoying are people who think that any CRT is a good CRT, just because it's a CRT, I'm not upset, I'm just amazed how dumbfounded people can be
>>
>>3965950
>Anything more than that ventures into caring more about jerking off over what your pixels look like instead of actually playing video games.
>he thinks wanting your picture to look nice is jerking off to pixels
>>
>>3966076
I didn't say that. I said, and I'm now paraphrasing here since you clearly didn't understand, so long as the image isn't already terrible, it really doesn't matter.

Did I say any random tv is as good as a high end set? Please show where I did.
>>
>>3966081
Obsessing over technical specifications to calculate ideal settings over quickly adjusting to taste is in fact jerking off to pixels
>>
>>3966063
Do you find it odd the thread you're posting in is significantly worse than the general you're raging over?
>>
>>3966094
you seem like you never owned a CRT
>>
There is a small BVM for sale on CL about an hour away from me for $25. Would it be worth the drive?
>>
>>3965816
OP wants to get into the CRT hobby. While he has his interest, he should go out and get one by all means. Even that cheap ass Durabrand from his OP does have a composite input and is new enough that it's likely not going to be half burnt out. My dad bought two of them to stick in a couple of his crash spots before he died. They weren't terrible or anything. They do need their remotes to switch to "game" aka composite though IIRC. If that's literally all someone can get and it's only five dollars or so then it's definitely better than nothing. Only old RF only sets that a lot of Anons seem drawn to and/or half dead sets with obvious picture problems are going to be worse for retro gaming than an edge-lit lcd hdtv.
>>
>>3966203
Yes
>>
>>3966197
Don't take up detective work
>>
>>3963962
Money isn't really an issue for these though. You're either going to find them for free, less than 50 bucks in a shop or if you're not patient you can pick up PVMs and shit online for like $200 including shipping.
>>
>>3965732
There's the nostalgia strawman post I was looking for.
>>
>>3966695
I think I hate CRTs more than anyone else on the board and even I think that guy sounds like a looney.
>>
>>3966697
Why hate a perfectly valid format preference?
>>
>>3966708
I find the light they give off very bothersome, ugly and tends to give me headaches. In the old days I actually had to avoid watching TV much. Beyond that I just think they're really ugly. There's also the high pitched whine from them, but either my ears are old enough to not hear it any more or my current set is pretty good for it.

Also even in the old days I thought the picture quality just plain looked shitty and I wanted to be able to see games more clearly.

To each their own, I know there are people around here who love them, but not me.
>>
>>3966721
I like CRTs but yeah they're heavy as shit and make a horrible noise when lots of yellow is on screen
>>
Where can I get a sony PVM fixed?

I have one that turns on, but doesn't show anything on screen.

Also, I wish I could set up a emulator PC to it.
>>
>>3966310
I feel like an 8" screen would be too small to game on, but it's really cheap and still tempting
>>
>>3967019
I didn't even know they made 8" BVM CRTs. It is pretty small. I have some 5" CRTs but I mainly consider them novelties
>>
File: 20170503_221550.jpg (3MB, 4032x2268px) Image search: [Google]
20170503_221550.jpg
3MB, 4032x2268px
Once you go CRT you never go back

It's something about that makes games so much more appealing to me. And that there's no inputlag
>>
>>3967036
Its a BVM-8044QD. When I google it, it says its an 8" monitor. Still tempted because I could stick it on my desk, but really not sure how great it would be. For $25 it might be worth trying.
>>
>>3963950
>the CRT hobby
>comfy
Not at all. CRT hobbyists are some of the saddest autists on the planet Probably second old to neo geo. It's a cult dedicated to the worship of the PVM/BVM
>What should I look for
A PVM/BVM. These are the only things acceptable in the CRT hobby. Anyone who says different knows nothing about the CRT hobby. But that's understandable because you asked in the wrong place. This board is for the discussion of classic, or "retro" games. Not for discussion of the CRT hobby.
>>
File: pvmclub.png (20KB, 540x132px) Image search: [Google]
pvmclub.png
20KB, 540x132px
>>3965732
>>3965816
>>3966063
>>3967756
Sour grapes detected
>>
>>3967832
There's nothing elite about owning a CRT. Stop making us look bad.

t. PVM owner who loves all CRTs equally
>>
As a 30 year old who never stopped using CRTs, I wish I still had an actual CRT TV. I'm glad that I have two PVMs and all, but I got rid of my TVs after I got them and now decent standard TVs are difficult to find around here.
>>
>>3967162
She's a cutie. All the inputs, too. If it appeared in front of me I'd buy it for sure but I feel you on the 2 hour drive pushing it into "well..." territory but if you don't you'll regret it later. Any size is "big enough" assuming the quality is there (it is) AND you can find a comfortable place to put it where it can be no more than like 18 inches from your face.
>>
Would a CRT computer monitor feel like the real deal or does it have to be a TV? I haven't used one of those and for some reason I remember them being as crisp as a modern PC monitor.
>>
>>3968005
I haven't used one of those in ages, I mean.
>>
>>3968005
Most VGA CRTs actually had higher maximum resolutions on average than anything short of 4k HDTVs so they actually "feel" a bit TOO tight if you're autistic about it but by realistic standards, a VGA CRT displaying 640x480@60hz using a simple scanline filter will feel very very similar to 240p on an SDTV. Take off it's pedestal to add to the illusion.
>>
>>3965993
>You think people where happy with the shitty CRTs they used 30 years ago
I was happy with my family's Zenith TV 30 years ago until it started bleeding color in everything like a motherfucker.
>>
>>3965127
Its still sitting out on the street. California, Mission Hills. Residential street across Brand Blvd from the San Fernando Mission and Memory Park. If you're motivated, come and get this 32" CRT before tomorrow morning when the trash man comes and takes it. Not going to give an address because you should work for it a little.
>>
File: 1491397841317.jpg (786KB, 1181x1181px) Image search: [Google]
1491397841317.jpg
786KB, 1181x1181px
>Any CRT is fine
>All those levels of underage ITT
>>
>>3967832
>Sour grapes
Not at all. I have 5 CRTs all with component or RGB inputs. All multi system. Ranging in size from 21" to 32". Even including the ones I bought new 20+ years ago I've payed less than what a 19" BVMeme goes for on ebay. My grapes are so sweet they can only be used to make eiswein.
>>
>>3968216
>Being a CRT elitist
No anon, you're the underage here.
>>
I don't wanna rain on y'all's parade, on the contrary more power to ya but

I don't think it has ever before occurred to me that owning a CRT television or a bunch of em, or knowing more about CRT televisions than other people do could be a point of pride

you've introduced me to a whole new fuckin paradigm here

now knowing 4chan some of you might react to this with some hostility and take it as such, but please believe me when I say I don't mean to condescend

I just felt the need to say you've made my horizon a tiny bit less narrow in a way I didn't expect
>>
>>3968216
>tfw there are people itt right now who would take a 8" PVM over a 24 inch consumer grade CRT
>>
>>3967019
You won't regret it.
>>
>>3968369
>tfw there are people itt right now who paid more for an 8" PVM than a 29" trisync arcade grade CRT costs
>>
File: 1465364744726.jpg (26KB, 413x395px) Image search: [Google]
1465364744726.jpg
26KB, 413x395px
>>3963950
>getting into a type of television as a hobby
kys
>>
>>3968349
>>3968369
>wanting a good CRT is being an elitist
Wew, I sure see how you used CRTs 20 years ago daily and had to use shitty (but no colour bleeding!) ones when better ones weren't an option because of availability or price, sure got me for calling me underage.
>>
>>3968363
What you are mentioning is just a tiny community of CRT fags, everything has those jerkoff "elitist" who ruin more than they do good, most others are either just people who actually used CRTs back in the day and know their flaws and pros or hipster/underage (even if their passport says they are 18+ but still think like a 16 year old) who think any CRT is just fine as long it's a glass tube and shows a somewhat proper picture, because they can't compare it in their minds or don't know even if the picture if "good" (does not have to be great) when they look at it.
>>
>>3970569
>>wanting a good CRT is being an elitist
What lube are you using?
>>
I'm glad that I bought both of my PVMs before this board existed, because reading people talk about the prices they paid for theirs kills me. Seeing all of the wanted ads on craigslist for PVMs kills me. It's impossible to even get a decent monitor anymore without paying out the ass.
>>
>>3970579
now here's a lot to parse in one run on sentence

I feel like I'm walking into a trap here, but I did ask to be given the benefit of the doubt myself. Would be hypocritical not to also grant it freely

>people who actually used CRTs back in the day and know their flaws and pros
I used CRT televisions for ages, seeing as they were the only thing available. I probably used them longer than most people, being poor as fug. I do not know the pros and cons of different kinds of tube teevees and as far as I can remember nobody I know doesn't either.

Mind you, it could have been very common information that just passed me by because I never needed it. Kind of like how some people can't read maps.

>(even if their passport says they are 18+ but still think like a 16 year old)
This attitude of being of age somehow bringing wisdom is weird. Is it irony that I'm not getting? Is this where I find out I'm for real autistic? You can be childish or ignorant well into your seventies, people do it all the time.

I bet I'm autistic

>who think any CRT is just fine as long it's a glass tube and shows a somewhat proper picture
>everything has those jerkoff "elitist" who ruin more than they do good
Here I am confused. Surely thinking less of people for being satisfied with a lower quality image is an elitist attitude.

I think you're having me on.
>>
I'm somewhat surprised new hobbyist CRTs havent hit the market yet
>>
File: 1480589184811.png (327KB, 830x974px)
1480589184811.png
327KB, 830x974px
>>3968369
>>3969721
>>
File: ZzotW07.jpg (5KB, 245x245px) Image search: [Google]
ZzotW07.jpg
5KB, 245x245px
>>3963950
>falling for the meme of CRTs

It's entirely for nostalgia purposes, just grab a Retro duo or any of those types of consoles, hook it up to your 4k TV and call it a day

The point of playing Megaman 2 isn't to have fucking scanlines all over the place so you can't see the damn game, it's to play the damn game.

>inb4 bait

all of you people need to be gassed,
I've been running games through an emulator and I don't need muh scanlines or "correct" aspect ratio to feel nostalgic when I can play the same game 19 years later.
>Mfw when you autists actually care about how a game is played more than playing the actual game it self
>>
>>3970728

Aw, is the wittle baby upset? Do you want your bottle, wittle baby waby?
>>
File: 1490569370876.jpg (76KB, 625x626px) Image search: [Google]
1490569370876.jpg
76KB, 625x626px
>>3970775
>>
>>3970728
>Scanlines
Jesus fuck I hate that shit
>>
>>3970784
glad I'm not the only one, people here love that shit for somereason
>>
>>3970728
>upscaling
>no bloom

stay mad it's hilarious
>>
>>3970569
>>3970581
In general:
>A CRT is a CRT is a CRT
An average CRT is fine for retro gaming. You get the benefits, no input lag, correct aspect ratio, correct colour, etc.

Honestly, you start to get diminishing returns in quality. The whole S-Cart meme, is just that, a meme. Composite is what we all used when we were kids, and it mostly stayed that way until Xbox360's rolled around.
>>
>>3970802
>caring about how the game is played over playing it
please do go on /vr/, please tell me how I play is more important than actually playing it
My Final Fantasy III Experience going to change if there are scanlines present or not?
Or is actually playing the game the important part
Please redpill me on this
>>
>>3970728
HDTV's almost always have some level of input lag.

I can't play Vagrant Story on my HDTV, becuase I can't chain properly. Then I play it on my CRT and I chain for days.

CRT's aren't a meme. But PVM's are a meme, especially for your average person. A consumer grade CRT has the features that most people will need out of a CRT.

PVM's are for tech elitists that are invested in the tech. For a "retro gamer" consumer CRT's are more than adequate.
>>
>>3970827
Emulators seem to be just fine as far as that goes.
I have zero issues running any of my games
>>
>>3970829
Sure, until you wanna play something like Winback on N64.
>>
>>3970812
>Composite is what we all used when we were kids, and it mostly stayed that way until Xbox360's rolled around.
I used a Sync-on-Luma SCART cable with my PlayStation. It was pretty common place here, most consoles that supported S-Video or RGB also came with SCART cables that utilized it, instead of just being composite over SCART.
>>
>>3970621
>Here I am confused. Surely thinking less of people for being satisfied with a lower quality image is an elitist attitude.
No, disliking people who buy CRTs from Goodwill because "hurr, it's a CRT! Its old and magical, eh, the picture is pretty okay I guess, let's argue with people how good my CRT is now! Dosen't matter I know jack shit and use it with composite for a RGB console" is not elitist.
>>
>>3965857
>Does it turn on and display a picture? Does said picture not have any color bleeding?
What about overscan? Some CRTs can show a decent picture but have horrible overscan.
>>
File: cleppp.jpg (14KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
cleppp.jpg
14KB, 480x360px
>>3970917
Now you are adding things.

I don't see what the big fuss is. My NES wouldn't work on the newer tv so I got an old glass tube one for free

am I hipster, underage or both?
>>
>>3970827

What if I just like how PVMs and other pro monitors look?

I think a sizeable portion of PVMfags on /crt/ are older people who like the aesthetic and have money to spend.

I certainly didn't get my panties in a bunch over paying $70 for a cool looking TV I wanted, that happens to be really durable and have features very few consumer sets do.
>>
>>3971189
>What if I just like how PVMs and other pro monitors look?
literally the only justification needed, as if justifications were necessary
>>
>>3970959
Neither, you made the right call. NES doesn't, and isn't supposed to support RGB, so composite on any random CRT is the way to do it.
>>
>>3970601
>It's impossible to even get a decent monitor anymore without paying out the ass.
I literally just got home from picking up a one owner 20" Profeel I bought for $30. My 27" Profeel cost $8. My PVM-2950QM cost $25. The last BVM-20F1E I got cost $13. Need I go on? These were all bought through eBay in the past 12 months so you need to up your game sunshine.

*all prices are USD equivalent as I am Yuropoor.
>>
>>3970829
Call me when you're playing NES Punch Out
>>
>>3971319
Maybe there's a big difference in availability between US and Europe.
>>
>>3971319

Has it occurred to you that perhaps the European market is different from the American one because your consumer TVs are SCART?

PVMs are expensive in the US because we have very few RGB consumer sets.
>>
>>3971403
You have plenty of component ones though. Free on curb etc.

A simple transcoder is all you need for RGB.
>>
What is the "CRT hobby"?

I hope you're not actually messing around with the workings of a CRT unless you're a professional.
>>
>>3971479
Lol fraidy-cat
>>
File: DSC_1928.jpg (1MB, 3000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_1928.jpg
1MB, 3000x2000px
>>3963950
If you're not gonna get anything fancy like a Sony PVM then go look at your local thrift stores and Goodwills, they almost always have something halfway decent. I got a really nice Zenith console CRT from 2004, one of the last consoles ever made. It's got a great tube in it, and the speakers are amazing. Got it for like $25.
If you wanna be "autistic" about it (le epic buzzwords amirite ecks dee) then you'll be spending like $500 on a professional broadcast CRT.
So if you don't feel like dropping half a grand on one, just look for one that's not complete shit and you'll be fine.
I would also suggest going to yard sales, you'll often find some retro gaems to go with your newly acquired CRT.
Pic related: my Zenith console
>>
>>3971591
woah that's a 2004? I had no idea they were still making sets like that in the 2000s, or even the 90s.
>>
>>3971591

I love those consoles. I want one of those Mitsubishi 40 inch ones. Right now I've got a 36 inch WEGA thats sitting in a garage waiting for me to move it to my new house. It's 300 lbs but in perfect condition.
>>
File: DSC_1929.jpg (2MB, 3000x2000px)
DSC_1929.jpg
2MB, 3000x2000px
>>3971614
Neither did I until I found it. I shat brix.
>>
>>3971631
That's awesome, man. Really nice find.
>>
>>3971631
>>3971591
That's actually really cool. It's a shame it doesn't have component inputs (S-Video is still pretty damn good on a console TV) but I bet the guts of other 2000s Zenith TVs would bolt into it. That cabinet is something to keep forever.
>>
File: b3hlwd1bjsgbmbqzrb6c.jpg (23KB, 620x400px) Image search: [Google]
b3hlwd1bjsgbmbqzrb6c.jpg
23KB, 620x400px
>>3971591
>>
I was about to get myself a 14 inch Sony Trinitron
for $20, I organised picking it up and then 2 hours before I was going to collect it, the guy selling said a corner of the screen warped so bad it made the TV effectively worthless.

I would love a comfy CRT setup but the logistics seem so unpredictable its tough to commit to it..
>>
>>3970812
The first time I used component was on Xbox I think, wish I would have bought a component cable for my Gamecube back in the day.
>>
>>3971924
Protip: It was fine and got sold to a higher bidder
>>
>>3970812
>RGB is a meme

Go tell that to literally millions of Genesis owners who got stiffed with the worst composite output imaginable.
>>
>>3972083
I use composite for my Genesis. It's fine.
>>
>>3972086
It really isn't when you consider what the system is actually capable of.

At least enable the S-Video output if you don't want to go full RGB. It's night and day quality-wise.
>>
>>3972135
>It really isn't
It really is.

>It's night and day quality-wise.
I don't sit 5 inches from my TV when I play video games. I sit feet away, so the differences are completely negligible.
>>
>>3971953
>>3972072

brb killing myself
>>
File: kids-playing-a-video-game.jpg (43KB, 390x275px) Image search: [Google]
kids-playing-a-video-game.jpg
43KB, 390x275px
>>3972139
Sounds like you're not a true gamer m8
>>
>>3972160
Those children are sitting feet away from the TV.
>>
>>3965732
If CRTs are so horrible as you make them out to be, how come you're here with us rather than having commited kysudoku back when CRTs were all the rage with everyone?
>>
>>3972185
That anon is what you might term a "troll" and, as such, should not be acknowledged or responded to.
>>
>>3965732

>he doesn't know the glory of playing on a RGB monitor

pleb

Why come here if you don't care about past technology?
>>
>>3963950
Is this thread also about CRT *monitors*, or as per usual just concentrated on either TV or PVM screens?

If monitors are welcome, what is the best methodology for calibrating a CRT monitor for best picture? Do geometry first, then convergence, then color? Or another sequence? Calibrating geometry, try to eliminate pincushion/barrel distortion first, or something else? How about calibrating color? What if greys aren't uniformly grey, but eg. darker greys have either a reddish or a blueish tint? What about CRTs which developed trailing/smearing with a certain color, can that be remedied (traling on a CRT kinda defeats its biggest advantage, i.e. no lag)?
>>
>>3971591
How come the TV won't overheat horribly being bunkered up tightly like that? I have a shelf about half a foot above a CRT monitor, and the shelf gets quite warm with the monitor running.
>>
>>3972196
All CRT displays, be it those intended for computer-based or video content, are fundamentally the same and should be adjusted similarly.

Read this, it's an incredible resource:
http://www.arcaderepairtips.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/guide_setup_adjust_arcade_monitors_v1.2.0.pdf
>>
>>3972210
Firstly a CRT relies on a certain amount of heat (from the heater cathode) to function correctly.

Secondly, the vast majority of people buying these cardboard monstrosities were already in their twilight years. Hence the slim possibility that they might outlive their TV was likely considered an acceptable trade-off to the manufacturer.
>>
>>3963958
>RayForce
You're alright.
>>
>>3965732

Nigga CRTs have objective, measurable advantages for retro games (and a couple in general)

For the love of god don't play modern shit on them, but if you have the space and you find a good one on the curb there's no reason not to use one.
>>
I got a Wega from a friend yesterday, that seemed to work just fine before I took it home. When I got home, I noticed it had gotten really bad convergence problems, and the whole image looks as if it was moved clockwise a little.

A few questions:

Can it have become damaged during transport?

Do you think it would cost a lot to get it properly aligned?

I don't have the tools, knowledge, or space to work on it myself, but luckily there are a few TV repair shops around me that have been in business since the 80's, so I don't think finding a place that can't fix it would be hard.
>>
The CRT meme hit ground zero here so theres no decent ones in sight, and the only people who have them sell them as if theyre worth hundreds
>>
>>3972879

It's possible

Prices are going to vary wildly based on the individual because it's not a standard repair anymore; I've been quoted at over $200 for minor part replacements, but I doubt that's standard.
>>
>>3972906
I'm hoping it's something simple like a yoke adjustment, so I'll give them a call tomorrow and see what they tell me, but knowing my luck and the way those places operate, it'll be something much worse.

>I've been quoted at over $200 for minor part replacements

Fuck, that's some straight bullshit.
>>
If you're going to buy a used crt remember to
1. Open up the case and vacuum up any dust. You don't want a fire hazard in your home!

2. Then let it sit for 3-5 days untouched in regular room temp
>>
>>3972904
By 2020 meme-teens will be paying a month's salary to get countertop-tier, no-name CRTs from Mac and Maude who heard that them ol' tube-type Tee-Vees are worth their weight in gold to vidyagamers - the PawnStars told them as much.
>>
CRT why ? Just use a scanline filter on ePSXE
>>
>>3972983
Trinitrons have been memed so hard that none of the bandwagoners will buy a CRT unless it has a Sony logo on it. PVMs are already too expensive for most normies so they will fall for the WEGA meme (already happening right now) and soon FV310s will sell for triple digits and entry-level FS120s will be at least $60. When they find out flat tubes are shit they will dump their WEGAs on the curb and panic-buy curved tube Trinitrons which will all skyrocket in price.
>>
>>3971591
this. i still pick up sony wegas off the side of the damn road. if you want a big one and you're not a pussy, most people will give them to you if you just come to their house and haul it off.
>>
>>3973995
>and you're not a pussy
what's this one got to do with it

do you have to fight them for it

is it a cuck beta thing not to have a big tv
>>
>>3972210
The insides of most of these console TVs are actually really spacious. The tube is pretty much just held to the frame by screws.
>>
>>3972974
>If you're going to take advice from an underage remember to
>1. remember it's an underage who has never and will never touch a CRT. Or a vagina
>>
>>3974001
He means if youre too bitch to hoist the thing
>>
File: IMAG0521.jpg (550KB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0521.jpg
550KB, 2560x1440px
>>3963950
Muh t
>>
>>3973976
>WEGA meme

What did he mean by this?
>>
>>3974097
...ohhhh

hold the fuck on nobody's that weak that they can't lift a fuckin teevee

I mean unless they live miles away and you're gonna walk home with it
>>
>>3963950
Just buy a common one. Retro games were made to be played with composite cables on a 90's/early 00's TV, not with professional RGB stuff.

I think that Shadowmask TV (Anything that is not Sony) with composite cables the best for older games. Genesis needs to use Composite cables to output transparency, and it only works on CRT TVs.
>>
>>3973976
PVM are a fucking meme, the image gets all pixelated, and it is dumb to mod it to output RGB, just emulate that shit if you want perfect pixels.
>>
>All this autism
>>
>>3972825
Thanks for the link, the document looks informative and interesting. I noticed though that it seems to focus much on mechanical adjustments on the CRT assembly, while I was rather interested in a methodology to perform a calibration with software controls provided by the monitor's menu.
>>
File: IMG_5309.jpg (55KB, 580x437px)
IMG_5309.jpg
55KB, 580x437px
Why doesn't Arino play his vidya on a CRT?
>>
>>3974576
The adjustments and sequence thereof will be exactly the same, just performed electronically rather than directly on the chassis and tube.

If you let on which particular model you are interested in finding out about I'm sure someone could point you in the direction of the service manual. These usually have a step by step guide covering adjustments to be made following replacement of the tube, which will amply satisfy your requirements.
>>
>>3974620
One has a Mitsubishi Diamondtron Pro 2060u tube, and another is a Nokia 447s (which supposedly has a Sony Trinitron tube of some kind).

Do you think issues like color-tinted dark greys, or smearing/phosphor lag on a specific color, can be even cured at all through calibration, or are these just signs of worn tubes which can't be fixed?
>>
File: Legend of Oasis jR6GMW.gif (586KB, 347x270px) Image search: [Google]
Legend of Oasis jR6GMW.gif
586KB, 347x270px
>>3972868
It's a pretty great game. Not gonna keep a pos tube set like that around without some good reasons.
>>
>>3974597
Because input lag is not that significant as people on this channel will lead you to believe.
>>
>>3974597
Huh.

Maybe it just hasn't occurred to them. How many people even notice the input lag thing?
>>
>>3975951
>>3975953
Arino's LCD is a SD/EDTV and probably has much lower lag. He had a CRT in season one but the tv manufacturer gave them that one. They probably like it because it's easier for them to move around.
>>
>>3974759
Phosphor persistence is an inherent property of CRTs and can never be entirely eliminated. It is not related to tube age in any way but may be symptomatic of capacitors in need of replacement. If it is found to be excessive you likely have the contrast set way too high in any case, try lowering it as an initial free and easy remedy.

To fix your tinted shadows, please refer to page 32 of the pdf I linked. Any half decent monitor will have the appropriate controls readily accessible.
>>
>>3976107
The excessive smearing pertains to one color only, the other two are ok. I will try to see if adjusting contrast makes any difference, but I'm not sure it would be the problem (the whites aren't blooming and there isn't any bleeding and such).

As for the second issue, there appears to be a misunderstanding - the problem isn't convergence, but the fact, that while mid and light greys aren't color-tinted (i.e look just grey), dark greys have a color tint which is stronger the darker the grey is (for instance dark greys looking brown or navy instead of being grey).
>>
>>3970959
Now you are playing your NES, thinking the picture looks decent, until you see some random off brand cheap shit CRT and it's picture is even better then yours by far, then you will rethink if any glass tube is okay
>>
>>3977876
it looks decent compared to the nothing at all from before

but yes if I see a better one for cheap/free I might pick it up. if it's not far.
>>
Why is this thread blowing up? Pick up a $20 Trinitron and call it a day. The newer ones can do component and svideo so you got all your basics covered. All you people recommending PVMs are not also disclosing many retro consoles need $$$ mods to do RGB.
>>
>>3963950
>How do I get into the CRT hobby?
Simple buy a CRT preferably one with support for AV cables and a remote that works (so you can switch into game mode when needed).
>It sounds super comfy, and I see the CRT general threads all the time.
It is really comfy in fact a few days ago i beat the original super mario bros on my CRT for the first time (without save states with using the warp zones).
>What should I look for in a CRT?
It should come with a remote and preferably with a AV port.
>What's good and not good?
What is good is the classic feeling and nostagia that come with it.

What is bad is sometimes they are a complete pain in the ass to carry.
>Is there a website I should go to?
Shipping it will be fucking expensive. It is best to head to a flee market or good will and just buy one yourself.
>>
>>3977843
Page 32 deals with white balance tracking not convergence.
>>
>>3977843
>>3978048
Actually, come to think of it do both issues relate to the same colour? For example, do you have smearing on reds and also red-tinted dark shades?

If so you effectively have too much contrast on the red channel only and fixing the white balance tracking should also stop, or at least reduce, smearing.
>>
>>3977892
>it looks decent compared to the nothing at all from before
>but yes if I see a better one for cheap/free I might pick it up. if it's not far.
that's the point, don't get shit in the first place
>>
>>3978513
shit is fine tho
>>
>>3974114
I scored a free 36" CRT that I can't physically lift. Had to walk it down the sidewalk to my minivan. Just barely managed roll it up into the back. Almost rolled back and squashed me. Think it weighs more than I do.
>>
>>3978581
Oh. Shows what I know then

you ain't like a gnome or nothing are ya

dude you gotta tell me if you're a gnome that's the law
>>
>>3978593
>tfw 6'2" lightweight
Seriously anon, they're heavy.
>>
File: 7462197872_899d4b3d79_b.jpg (403KB, 1024x686px) Image search: [Google]
7462197872_899d4b3d79_b.jpg
403KB, 1024x686px
>>3978604
>>
Got a Sony Trinitron 24inch TV, probably the best picture I have ever seen for a TV this size. So I really can't recommend anything else, except PVMs and BVMs, if you can find one decent size.
>>
>>3963972
All the good wills around my area stopped selling them a while ago.
>>
>>3977904
>All you people recommending PVMs are not also disclosing many retro consoles need $$$ mods to do RGB.

I have a couple of PVMs and have never used RGB. It's not a requirement.
>>
>>3977904
>not also disclosing many retro consoles need $$$ mods to do RGB.

Anyone modding pre-90 consoles for RGB need heir head checked

>many
The only one that matters is the N64
>>
>>3963962
ok

so tell me this

how can i fucking use a lightgun?
i can't play anything lightgun on a non CRT, doesn't work on lcd or shit.

fuck you
>>
>>3964092
good luck even getting one
i've never seen one in my travels in the 20 years ive been running flea markets
>>
>>3979397
Because it stopped making sense to store them and wait until autist meme anon comes by and hauls one away once in a blue moon. Get them while you still can, as in five or ten years from now it may become extremely difficult to find them anywhere.
>>
>>3971409
ok, so..........

what do we DO about it then?
we can't lower the prices
>>
>>3979475

The Goodwills in my area stopped carrying them, but they sold very well when they did carry them.
>>
>>3979480
You stop buying the overpriced ones.

Simple as that.
>>
>>3979454
Why?

>The only one that matters is the N64
>Only Nintendo matters
>>
I'm also interested in crts but for emulation, as I don't fall for a lot of the antiemulation memes and physical shit will eventually fail. The warmth and scan lines of a crt feel more authentic, and frankly unless I've played a game a million times on the original hardware I won't be able to tell the difference.

What setup is best for emulation when it comes to crts? Old pic monitor hooked up to a tower? figure out some tv/pc setup? Dying to know what you lads think
>>
>>3980503
Hacked Wii and a free CRT is the cheapest CRT rig you can get. It's pretty fantastic too.
>>
>>3981007
>free CRT
>fantastic
sure if you can find a free Trinitron
>>
>>3981043
Who can't? At the most you're looking at $10-20 for a TV and $10-20 for a Wii. Almost any single ('functioning' is the operative word here) color CRT will be better for retro games than an HDTV. I don't care if it's RF only, it's still going to look and play better. Getting a working retro rig is ludicrously cheap and easy, unless you HAVE to have some ridiculous SCART rig or something. I have RGB capable monitors and consoles, but I still run RF on a consumer Trinitron because it's easier and more fun.
>>
>>3981107
>but I still run RF on a consumer Trinitron because it's easier and more fun.
Now that's autism
>>
>>3981107
>Implying Trinitrons are HDTVs
>Implying Trinitrons don't have RGB
>Implying SCART is something weird
>Implying my sides didn't leave the Earth when I read that post
>>
>>3981112
I have a lot of japanese RF only consoles, so it's not autism, it's just a lot easier than hooking them to a VCR or something to tune into channel 95 and then go composite out to a PVM when I can just plug in an RF cable to a consumer set and change the channel.
>>3981115
>implying I implied any of that
SCART is weird for anyone who didn't grow up playing games at 50Hz, I absolutely did not imply that Trinitrons are HDTVs, what the actual fuck are you talking about, and consumer Trinitrons in the US largely don't have RGB inputs. Context is important you illiterate fuck.
>>
File: 86yOxDv.jpg (446KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
86yOxDv.jpg
446KB, 1024x768px
>>3963950
get a small Sony TV (like 13") and connect one or two systems on it. I have an NES and a Sony 13" CRT. Really Comfy.
>>
>>3981134
Why is small better than big in your opinion?
>>
>>3981134
Great taste anon, I have the same Trinitron and it's awesome. Weirdly mine is faux-woodgrain/brown instead of that sleek silver though.
>>
>>3981129
>SCART is weird for anyone who didn't grow up playing games at 50Hz
So, Americans?
>>
>>3981194
Yeah.
>>
>>3981194
Sucks to have been American at the time, most RGB consoles there came with just composite cables while places with SCART got RGB by default
>>
>>3981242
I think most of us are OK with it in retrospect due to our hardware not being PAL. Not memeing, just seems like a tolerable trade-off knowing what we do now.
>>
>>3981329
>Implying Never The Same Color was better
>Implying there was a trade-off
>Implying PAL didn't have higher resolution while having lower refresh rate
>>
I love how autism is the most generic and unoriginal insult for just about everything in this day and age.
>OMG HE LIKES CRTS LOL AUTISM AM I COOL GUYS
>>
>>3981503
You can do this all day, but it's an objective fact that NTSC is better for retro games because the vast majority of games and nearly all of the hardware was designed for NTSC. Your higher resolution argument is moot because of the poor PAL conversions you had to deal with, and the pittance of euro games that run 'better' at 50Hz aren't worth sacrificing the playability of the rest of the library for. Sorry eurofriend, you literally can't win this one.
>>
>>3981194
>What is NTSC-J
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjJ8irRPdqk

I really need to spend some time with my BVMs again.
>>
>>3981503
>>Implying PAL didn't have higher resolution while having lower refresh rate
That higher resolution mostly meant black bars at the top and bottom and a screwed-up aspect ratio (squashed picture) ON TOP of the lower refresh rate (what, in the case of most games, actually also meant slower speed).
>>
>>3981517
If you're not a sheeple who loves Windows 10, all things Apple, has "nothing to hide", lives on Facebook, and has disdain for all tech older that 5 years, you're "autist".
>>
>>3981503
What good is 576i if consoles output video at resolutions that don't even use the full 240p/480i area, anyways? A 1/6th decrease in game speed?
>>
>>3981580
That's not a hardware problem but a software problem. Keep crying. Games that took advantage of it where superior.
>>
>>3981580
>>3982141
>>3982712
>Sorry eurofriend, you literally can't win this one.
>Implying I played shitty NTSC import games on shitty NTSC consoles
I already won, I had SCART and PAL. You had Never The Same Color and Japanese import you think is the best, because your ignorance in taste.
>>
>>3982993
You never answered the 576i question. Also, "Never The Same Color" doesn't apply to RGB output, anyways, only composite.

Enjoy that smaller library of shitty conversions, while you're at it.
>>
>>3982993
Keep telling yourself that, this argument was over the moment you defended playing PAL games.
>>
>>3963950
1. Go to a thrift store.
2. Spend $15 on old CRT that is taking up valuable space - because no one is buying them anymore.
3. Connect it to your console.

You better act soon though, some thriftstores don't even accept CRTs anymore because they do take up a lot of space, relative to how much money they produce for the stores. They also tend to sit around for weeks, you can negotiate a lower price most of the time.

If you want a monitor CRT, those can be purchased inexpensively as well, often just as inexpensively. To connect it to your console or older ntsc/pal computer you will need something to convert it to VGA though. You can usually find it inexpensively.

I'm not a CRT enthusiast. I do,however, think my amiga games look superior on a CRT monitor, as opposed to modern monitors.
>>
>>3983681
>think my amiga games look superior on a CRT monitor, as opposed to modern monitors.
Get a proper scandoubler.
Also if you're going to use a CRT with an Amiga use a proper graphics monitor like a LaCie or related.
>>
>>3964092
Ikegamis are also a good alternative if you can find them on ebay or in a government liquidation lot or something. Comparable to PVMs in quality from what photos I've seen.
>>
File: extron.jpg (289KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
extron.jpg
289KB, 1200x900px
Back at it with some extron questions.

So all the cables I needed finally came in today to hook up my extron switcher, I've been spending the last hour or so cable managing everything to look neat and easy to hook up.

I thought it would be neat to have two video out's so I hooked up my flat screen to one of the outs of the extron. I tested out my first console which happened to be in the first input and it came up on my CRT perfectly, I had the audio come through my soundbar. I was happy.

The problem occurred when I tried displaying the image through my flatscreen. The TV would acknowledge that it was receiving a signal because the "no signal" sign would go away, but then the screen was just blank. I thought it could have been an duplicating the image on the crt and LCD so i tried using my second console on the LCD to no success. Then tried the third and still no success. Any ideas?

Not only that but I cant seem to get console B or C to even come through on my CRT when pressing different buttons.

Maybe I'm retarded and don't understand how to properly use the face buttons of my extron, please someone help.

>tl;dr
my extron is only displaying a picture for the first input and i dont know how to get it to display my other consoles or how to display it on my lcd
>>
>>3984212
Is your interface outputting YPbPr (assuming a component connection on the LCD) or RGB (with external sync).

Is the Y (green) connector receiving the proper sync signal from that output? Do some tests and report back.
>>
>>3984217
A little confused by this post, I have component out for both outputs since my LCD and CRT accept component.

Also i tested console A on my lcd by running it through my old switch the other day and it worked perfectly fine. So i know the lcd can run component perfectly fine.
>>
>>3984212
>>3984217
So all video works on the CRT and audio outputs to the soundbar as it should.

Now the only issue is that there still is no image displayed on the lcd, keep in mind that it absolutely is receiving a signal. The screen acknowledges it's receiving a signal but just doesn't show anything.
Thread posts: 228
Thread images: 26

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.