[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

is /vr/ a niche hobby

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5

File: DSC_0911.jpg (249KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0911.jpg
249KB, 1600x1200px
when did retrogaming become a niche hobby and not just something normal fags do?
>>
Retro aesthetics and mario are what normalfags do. Scrubbing a star soldier cart you found at a thrift store for ten minutes and jiggling it around in your NES with giant earmuffs to block out the coil whine from your CRT is niche
>>
>>3963650
I appreciate this post
>>
I don't think normal fags have ever been into retro gaming.

They've been into "retro gaming" when it's a convenience to them like with the NES mini or even emulating popular NES, SNES, and genesis games to stream... But all in all they don't even play old games much, it seems, even though emulation's so convenient and close to them.

If we're getting into CRTs and physical consoles, then of course it's niche!
>>
>>3963647
when the games a generation newer than what is considered "retro" came out

what a stupid question
>>
>>3963647
Many "normalfags" were just people in the 70's, 80's and 90's who liked games. Some of them are older now and still like some of the old games they played back then. Those that still do are relatively few.

Young people looking into the earlier days of gaming are the same as those who like to experience books, movies, music, tv and other cultural experiences from before their time. They're usually not the majority, but they're always around.

Those are the two main reasons.
>>
>>3963654
speaking of tubes i'd say it's when people still unironically used a CRT as their main television.
Once HD became standard u had to upgrade to a PS3
>>
File: fliptopcover.jpg (12KB, 400x302px) Image search: [Google]
fliptopcover.jpg
12KB, 400x302px
Playing old games because they're cheap is something normalfags do. When that very phenomenon starts causing scarcity (games treated like junk) and their value starts going up again it turns back into a niche hobby. You can literally see this process happening right now with the 6th gen.
>>
To truly appreciate retro games you need to know Japanese and that's something many people don't.
>>
File: rogue_1.png (3KB, 320x200px) Image search: [Google]
rogue_1.png
3KB, 320x200px
>>3963683
0/10
>>
>>3963731
Are you claiming that most people speak Japanese?
/vr/ isn't very representative in that regard.
>>
>>3963683

Yeah, I miss most of pic related due my poor Japanese skills
>>
When did retro gaming go from playing retro games to bitching about normalfags?
>>
>>3963806
It's not just about the games but also the accompanying material.
Not knowing Japanese severely restricts you. Even for American/European made games there's often tons of extra stuff in Japan.
>>
>>3963812
This.
>>
>>3963812
When i was in high school between 04 and 08 lots of friends unironically still played their nes / snes / genesis or n64 or psx

>that shit was 10 years ago
Kill me now m8s
>>
>>3963858
Dude, I grew up on the NES, and my family didn't even get a new console until the Wii came out.

Going from The Legend of Zelda on the NES to Twilight Princess of the Wii was mindblowing.
>>
>>3963647

Probably when stores like gamestop quit taking the games in for resale.
>>
>>3963858
When I was a kid, I used to play genesis games with a friend even though he had a gamecube, PS2 and Xbox.

Although, in high school when the PS3 and 360 came out, suddenly anything older than that became uncool. I remember some kid brought a Nintendo Power magazine to school with Mario Sunshine on the cover and my friend whispered to me "That game's super old, why is he still playing that?"

I do think it had something to do with HDTVs. Old systems don't look good on their TV so they didn't want to play them anymore.
>>
>>3963862

Man, could have been cool if you would have slowly progressed from og zelda to link to the past, then ocarina and majora, wind waker and finally twilight so you wouldve seen the whole spectrum of the changes in zelda
>>
>>3963664
>when people still unironically used a CRT as their main television.
I'd be interested to know when the people of /vr/, "made the switch", so to speak. I used a CRT as my main TV until 2014, mostly because I skipped out of gaming during the first HD generation, and I noticed that things like regular TV and DVDs looked better on my CRT than they did on my friends' $800 LCDs.

Might get more responses in the CRT general, but I may as well ask here.
>>
>>3963760
How did you possibly get that from a screenshot of Rogue?
>>
Retrogaming is niche, despite what the salty neckbeards will tell you. If it wasn't then the retro market would be more like Japans. Give it another 5-10 years and the "normal fags" you mention will start selling off their childhood collections to fund their adult lives (children, housing etc)
>>
File: rogue_02.png (13KB, 640x384px) Image search: [Google]
rogue_02.png
13KB, 640x384px
>>3963960
Because the Japanese Rogue is interesting.
>>
Wouldn't it be more of a spectrum from "I sometimes play Tetris on my phone" to "I have a collection of 10,000 games and only play on original hardware" with lots in between?

For example, I emulate NES games and have no desire to get original hardware (the one I had when I was younger but it broke so I sold the games). I have a SNES from when I was a kid and sometimes play games on it, but don't collect new ones at all. I'll probably buy a flash cart at some point.

On the other hand, I'd love to get a Socket 7 build for all my 90s DOS gaming needs.
>>3963683
Except there are an insane number of great retro games that were either originally in English or have official or unofficial translations.
>>
>>3963650
>hearing coil whine
hello underage
>>
>>3964151
Are you implying it doesn't exist?
>>
>>3964283
no he refers to the human hearing degrading with age so oldfags can't hear higher frequencies like youngsters. I'm 35 and certainly hear all of the coil whine tho.
>>
>>3964317
Thanks for reminding me of this. I wonder if it's happened to me. The whine of CRTs is one of the things I always used to hate about them, but with the one that I now occasionally use doesn't bother me. I figured it was just the set I happen to have now, but had never really thought about it. I definitely remember it from my youth though so maybe I am just getting old.
>>
>>3963973
Whats more interesting about this than the original?
>>
>>3965582
Nothing. It's just in Japanese.
>>
>>3963819

>Retro concerns Japanese video game consoles only
>>
>>3966584
That's just silly. There's also Japanese arcades and Japanese computers. Practically Japanese culture in general.
>>
>>3963647
it's a niche but a very big one
>>
>>3963964
>Retrogaming is niche, despite what the salty neckbeards will tell you. If it wasn't then the retro market would be more like Japans. Give it another 5-10 years and the "normal fags" you mention will start selling off their childhood collections to fund their adult lives (children, housing etc)

If anything it's the complete opposite that's happening. Prices used to be cheap but they rose in the west and now the same process is happening in Japan because of high demand in the west.
>>
>>3963647
I'm only here to complain about the aspect ratio that SMW is being played in
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.