[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/rhh/ Retro Handheld Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 187
Thread images: 47

File: gameboy light.jpg (18KB, 336x358px) Image search: [Google]
gameboy light.jpg
18KB, 336x358px
Electroluminescent Edition

This is the thread in which we discuss comfy portable game systems, such as the GameBoy and GameGear.

Think of this kind of like a Game Boy general, except handheld systems from any manufacturer can be discussed, be they from Nintendo, Sega, Atari or any obscure off brand, as well as LCD games. Portable consoles like the Turbo Express and Nomad can be discussed as hardware, though game discussion belongs in their respective consoles' threads. Discussing clones are also welcome so long as the other criteria are met.

Discussion of handheld repairs, mods and aftermarket add-ons are also welcome, though for more in-depth repair advice the repair general is recommended.

Handheld emulator boxes (Dingoo, JXD S7800B, modded PSP) are a gray area and should be discussed only in regards to their use for the emulation of retro games.

Thread game recommendation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4g_9Ly3S72s
>>
Any Puzzle game suggestions for the GBC?
>>
>>3963304
Can't go wrong with Tetris DX.

I haven't played it, but Pokémon Puzzle Challenge is supposed to be good. It's pretty much a handheld version of Puzzle League.
>>
File: 20160927_041858.jpg (132KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
20160927_041858.jpg
132KB, 1280x720px
Reminder the the GB Boy Colour is the best way to play GBC games on the go.
>>
>>3963309
I actually have the original Tetris Attack port and love it. Is the Pokemon one an upgrade?
>>
>>3963323
So far as I can tell, it's got better graphics, music, and all around presentation. Plus if you already like Pokemon that's an obvious boon.
>>
>>3963313
Not with that fucked up aspect ratio and D-pad.
>>
>>3963326
The D-pad isn't that bad. It's possible to hit dead center but once I got used to it it was never a problem and I never hit it.

The aspect ratio is, again, not a problem once you get used to it. It's the exact same aspect ratio as playing on the Super Gameboy. It has horizontal integer scaling so side scrollers play plenty smooth.

The GB Boy Colour does have quirks but they are not deal breakers by any means. I have not played my original GBC ever since I got my GB Boy except to compare the two, and I never went back to my original. The quirks the GB Boy has are worth putting up with just because the screen is so much better than the original's, and if you spend even just an hour with it you would come to the same conclusion.

The only thing about it that actually pisses me off is that the screen lens is made of plastic and scratches as easily as the original system's. I had a glass screen lens on my modded GBC, and sadly there is not one for the GB Boy Colour.
>>
>>3963326
The D-Pad is surprisingly not awful at all. And the ratio is only noticeable in certain games, or if you're specifically looking for it.
>>
>>3963353
Pokemon is the only game where I notice it, but it really doesn't bother me.
>>
File: unnamed.jpg (34KB, 730x974px) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.jpg
34KB, 730x974px
>>3963332
Honestly, I'd rather just play on my GBA-SP/iQue AGS-101, using my old Flashcart and Goomba Color. Does everything you would expect and avoids the cartridge sticking out, which would be a deal breaker for me.

That clicky D-Pad simply can't be beat, hggggnnnnnn

Would also love to Have one of those Dingoos (A320, I think?) because they have a nice form factor and decent SNES emulation, but they are expensive now.
>>
>>3963298
>Game Boy Light
Saw one of these in a local shop for ~4k yen. Considered picking it up. Think I should go back and see if they still have it?
>>
>>3963357
Yoshi is the only game where I can definitely tell it's there
>>3963360
tfw when most flash carts with the functionality I want stick out of the best GBA model, the GB Micro
>>
File: IMG_20170421_135320_1024x1024.jpg (90KB, 576x1024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170421_135320_1024x1024.jpg
90KB, 576x1024px
>>3963313
Not any longer.
GBC with 101 screen
>>
>>3963419
How long has that been possible? That's fucking legit cool, last I checked lighting GBC screens weren't great, and it wasn't an option to use an SP screen
>>
>>3963418
I love the idea of the micro and the screen is beautiful, but in practice the form factor is just too small to play comfortably for longer than 10 minutes.

Those shoulder buttons have a very weird pressure point, requiring you to cramp your index fingers to use them reliably. Maybe my hands are just too big. I really prefer those of the SP, where you can just casually press them kinda from the side with your index fingers relaxed. They are soft, yet give a distinctive and satisfying click when triggered.
>>
Lately I've been getting annoyed more and more by the lack of back light on the GBC.
I wish I was good enough at electronics to make a backlit GBC but last time I fucked up the screen of a (already lost cause) GBC so hard that I decided to never try it again. And I have a GG that needs all capacitors changed.
>>
>>3963431
I'm a lucky man who has the famicom micro and the NES SP, so I know what you're talking about, but for me I've found it easier playing action intensive games like DKC games and Marios with the Micro over my SP, because the SP actually makes my hands cramp when I have to extensively use the shoulder buttons like in WarioLand 4.

More likely I'm just an autist who can't hold his game boy correctly
>>
File: DSC_0175.jpg (3MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0175.jpg
3MB, 3840x2160px
>>3963434
get the GB Boy from our good friends in China
>>
>>3963430
The guy working on it is pretty badass.
He's made a GBA/GBC/GB dumper, new GB LCD's and is currently also working on GBA VGA out and the SP to GBC display cable.
His first run of the cable is already sold out and was still a prototype run so it's not fully there yet.
facebook com/BennVennElectronics/
bennvenn.myshopify com/
Had to remove the dots between the url and com because of the spamfilter...
>>
>>3963434
I can also vouch for GB Boy Colour. It's like $30 shipped, and at least worth that much. If I'm in good light I'll use my Pocket, but the GB Boy is the jam in the dark.
>>
>>3963419
Smaller than the actual GBC screen, sadly. It's even more of a postage stamp with the noticable letterboxing.
>>
>>3963443
It's smaller but it fits the resolution which is miles better than the distortion the GB Boy spits out.
>>
File: _20170502_061740.jpg (30KB, 605x402px) Image search: [Google]
_20170502_061740.jpg
30KB, 605x402px
Anyone else have an RS-1 Game Prince? It's a decent portable famiclone.
>>
>>3963449
Yeah, that's very true. But honestly I'd just recommend emulating the games on something that can allow a proper integer scale. The graphics are so blocky that it shouldn't look as bad as say, an SNES game upscaled 4x its native resolution.
>>
File: Clipboard01.jpg (558KB, 2280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Clipboard01.jpg
558KB, 2280x720px
>>3963435
I think it depends a great deal on how you hold your handheld. The Micro's shoulder buttons work fine if held like on the left. The SP can be held similarly, but with the small shoulder buttons/deep pressure point, this may be uncomfortable.

I prefer holding the system firmly clasped like the controller on the right (couldn't find a picture with the SP), which is more comfortable for me and still allows easy access for the shoulder buttons. On the Micro, however, this requires cramping your fingers to reach the shoulder buttons due to their position and pressure point.

Does that make sense?
>>
Can you put your own roms on the GB Boy somehow or do you still need a separate flashcart for that?
>>
>>3963492
You'll need a flashcart
>>
>>3963492
You can't. It's essentially a flash cart that's built right in, and when you insert a cart the cart turns the switch for the flash cart off. Like there's a physical switch in there. So yeah you'd want a separate flash cart
>>
>>3963298
>Electroluminescent Edition
>such as the GameBoy and GameGear
>neither of which are EL
>autistic "rules"
I'm getting mixed messages
>>
>>3963520
The "editions" are a dumb /vg/ thing I believe. It's safe to ignore that part.
>>
>>3963512
>>3963514
That's too bad, would've been perfect otherwise. Guess I'll stick to my PSP.
>>
>>3963304
>Any Puzzle game suggestions for the GBC?

Game Boy Color specifically, or anything in the classic GB library as well?

I really enjoyed Tetris 2 (Tetris Flash) and Tetris Blast (Bombliss)
There's just so much more variety in those games than the original GB port of classic Tetris. Tetris 2 is more like Sega's Columns than Tetris.

Would also recommend Kirby's Block Ball and Kirby's Star Stacker. The difficulty is deceptively easy to start, but rest assured that these games will give you a worthy challenge in later rounds.
>>
>>3963332
>he quirks the GB Boy has are worth putting up with just because the screen is so much better than the original's

The Game Boy Pocket has the largest screen out of the entire GB/C line. Of course, it's grayscale only. The GB Boy's larger screen is hardly an advantage though, since it doesn't scale properly. That's kind of like saying playing GB/C games on a GBA is better because it's in a wider aspect ratio.
>>
>>3963419
That's a badass mod however the display area for GBC games on a GBA screen is smaller than the original system.

The GB Boy Colour's screen is a different aspect ratio from the GBC's however the actual surface area size is exactly the same.

Until someone comes up with a true drop-in replacement screen for the GBC I feel like the GB Boy Colour is still the best option, especially with how expensive AGS 101 screens are becoming. They're out of production and there are only so many available in relation to how many people want them. I was glad just to get my GBA modded with one when I did, and I paid $100 for my kit.
>>
File: game gears and game boys.jpg (407KB, 1200x1350px) Image search: [Google]
game gears and game boys.jpg
407KB, 1200x1350px
>>3963437
This. I have both a front-lit GBC mod with LOCA and a GB Boy Colour. The GB Boy is superior, and I would have saved a ton of money if I had skipped the front light and loca mod. The GB Boy Colour costs about the same as a used GBC, whereas I ended up buying the mod kit, the expensive LOCA formula, and a UV oven which all together cost me about $50, plus the cost of my Gameboy, and I still got specks in the screen after I did it.
>>
>>3963520
It's just a goofy thing that generals do. The OP image is a Gameboy Lite, which does have an electroluminescent screen. The "thread edition" is always just some reference to whatever the OP image is and you're not supposed to take it seriously.
>>
>>3963304
Mr. Driller
Magical Drop
>>
File: donkey kong super gameboy.jpg (288KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
donkey kong super gameboy.jpg
288KB, 960x720px
>>3963641
The GB Boy's screen is the same size as the GBC's. The aspect ratio is negligible because you don't notice it while playing games. It's the same difference you'd see if you were playing the games on a Super Gameboy, which puts the games in the same aspect ratio as the GB Boy Colour, and I never see anyone complain about that.
>>
>>3964324
I already have Magical Drop and holy hell I've dealt some damage to my D-Pad playing it.
>>
File: game boy light.png (176KB, 456x369px) Image search: [Google]
game boy light.png
176KB, 456x369px
how viable is the Gameboy light in comparison to Backlit mods for the Pocket?
>>
>>3964412
Honestly you are better off with modding a Gameboy. The Gameboy Light was highly desirable for its time but there are better and cheaper options now.

If you really want the electroluminescent look you can get an electroluminescent backlight, but the problem with that technology (which was a problem back then too) is that it creates line noise on the headphones. You could just get an RGB LED backlight and set it to aqua blue if that's the look you want.
>>
>>3964412
>>3964685
The place that the GB Light falls short is that the image is lower contrast and more blurry than a biverted screen. Your best bet in the modern world is a Gameboy or GB Pocket with backlight + bivert mod.
>>
I have PSP on the way that I'm going to use for emulation and was wondering if I needed a specific type of SD mini card to go along with a Memory stick duo adapter.
>>
File: 20170118_064734.jpg (270KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
20170118_064734.jpg
270KB, 1280x720px
>>3965901
The kind you'll be wanting is SDHC. I don't now if SDXC work or not but everyone says SDHC is the kind to go with.

Don't buy from Amazon or eBay if you can avoid it-- there are a lot of counterfeit SD cards floating around those sites and it's hard to avoid them. Last time I bought an SD card I got it from Best Buy and it worked out fine.

One thing to remember is that the PSP only ever officially supported 32GB memorysticks, however I have seen examples of people getting 64GB to work by putting two SDHC cards into a dual memory stick adapter. However, the whole thing seems a bit fiddly to me and if I were you I would play it safe and either go with 2x16GB SDHC cards in a dual adapter, or 1 32GB SDHC card in a single adapter. 32GB will give you plenty of room to play around with. You can fit every cartridge ROM you could ever want to play on there and still have plenty of room for CD system games, converted Playstation 1 games and PSP ISOs.
>>
>>3965973
Thanks Anon, I just needed to make sure the card I was about to order would be compatible with my PSP.
>>
>>3965973
>>3965982
The dual adapters are extremely thin and break far too easily. I recommend a single-card adapter just for durability. 32 GB will fit a crap-tonne of content.
>>
Anyone have experience with replacement shells for GBA? I bought a 101 the other day but the hinge but the top portion of the screen has a pretty bad crack in it.

Are they as good quality as an official shell, or would I be better off buying a For Parts system and just swapping shells with that?
>>
>>3966419
Probably better with a cosmetically-good original, if they are anything at all like my experience with replacement DS shells.

The shells I bought for DSes weren't very nice plastic, they were off by point-something of a mm, which doesn't sound like too bad, but it's a pain in the cunt to have things no align correctly or to feel like you're squeezing components / leaving them rattling around.

I've just been living with my tarnished 101 housing for exactly this reason. I'd love somebody to tell me I'm being a tit and they're actually fine replacements though.
>>
>>3966402
If you leave the adapter in your PSP it's not a problem. It's not going to break unless you step on it or something.
>>
>>3966419
My AGS 101 screen kit came with a replacement shell and the quality was fine-- the one catch being that the battery door is a little looser than the original, but its not really an issue to me. The plastic felt good and it looked like the real deal, and that's what matters.

It's the Gameboy Color shells where I have had problems. I bought one once and the plastic didn't fit together well and the material was very cheap and inferior feeling compared to the original. I don't know if there are multiple manufacturers but I was thoroughly disappointed with the one I got.
>>
>>3963635
>Tetris Blast (Bombliss)
It's GB only, get Super Bombliss DX.
It's the second edition of the japanese version of the same game, but by being a DX version it has full GBC support, new soundtrack and a puzzle mode (it IS bombliss, after all)
It's the same thing with Link's awakening and Link's Awakening DX.
>>
>>3963360
I definitely like playing on a real GBC/GB Boy but I mostly play RPG's on the GBC which can be slow as fuck so the fast forward on emulators is very much welcomed.

I used my hacked N3DS for everything before 5th gen now (and GBA).
>>
>>3963468
My brother had a micro. It was really cool but unfortunately may have been a little too small.
>>
>>3963304
Little Magic is a really good one.
>>
>>3967078
What are some good RPGs for Gameboy / GBC besides Pokemon?
>>
>>3968529
Dragon Quest 1-3 for GBC are really good handheld conversions if you've ever wanted to try those games.
>>
File: 20170504_143252_HDR.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20170504_143252_HDR.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>3963298
>handheld systems from any manufacturer can be discussed
How niche do you want to get?
>>
>>3969196
Well we could stick to SYSTEMS for a kick-off you contrary bell-end.
>>
File: gfs_19495_2_1.jpg (65KB, 640x576px) Image search: [Google]
gfs_19495_2_1.jpg
65KB, 640x576px
>>3968529
Keitai Denjuu Telefang with the good translation patch. Kinda like Zelda awakening meets Pokemon with a big overworld and a lot of exploration.
>>
File: 2017-05-04 15.27.04.jpg (3MB, 1936x2581px) Image search: [Google]
2017-05-04 15.27.04.jpg
3MB, 1936x2581px
>>3969217
By which should I assume you mean systems with changeable games?
>>
>>3969321
That's kinda the accepted definition yeah.

In any case showing off crap you've wasted your money on over the decades contributes very little to this discussion.
>>
File: 2017-05-04 15.47.34.jpg (3MB, 1936x2581px) Image search: [Google]
2017-05-04 15.47.34.jpg
3MB, 1936x2581px
>>3969340 #
I guess from the OP I had the impression this wasn't a game boy thread

and I'll have you know I didn't waste a penny on that Watara Supervision, I stole it from work
>>
>>3969597
To his credit he does attract angst away from others. So perhaps in a twisted way he does improve this board by acting as a de facto punching bag.

Definitely not in the way his ego envisages it however.
>>
File: 2017-05-04 18.21.57.jpg (3MB, 1936x2581px) Image search: [Google]
2017-05-04 18.21.57.jpg
3MB, 1936x2581px
>>3969613
Love me or hate me I'm still making their experience better - or at least more authentic and that's my real endgame.
>>
>>3969553
Kiddo, everyone over the age of 30 is gramps to you.

>>3969613
>punching
I've never heard the feminine hygiene product called that.
>>
>>3969657
Ah yes, how forgetful of me.
Of course any 4chan thread would be an inauthentic experience without crippling autism.
>>
What were those two Chinese Pokemon-clones for Gameboy Color called again?
>>
>>3969846
Diamond and Jade, the Telefang hacks?
>>
>>3969862
No, original games, more similar to Pokemon than Telefang.
>>
>>3969196
I actually love that kind of stuff.
>>
>>3969871
Shi Kong Xing Shou? Shui Hu Shen Shou?
>>
>>3969901
Yeah, that's it. Thanks.
>>
>>3969906
Would be great if they had translation patches.
>>
File: 2017-05-04 23.33.31.jpg (3MB, 1936x2581px) Image search: [Google]
2017-05-04 23.33.31.jpg
3MB, 1936x2581px
>>3969872
Me too! Apparently this means we have crippling autism. Sorry to break it to you. I'm still trying to figure out how to tell my wife and son. I may have to dissolve the corporation and go on disability!

Seriously though there's a special place in my heart for electronic and electromechanical games. They can't be emulated accurately and only a few have been cloned, usually with LCDs lamely replacing the LEDs.
>>
>>3970316
The biggest difference between the light-based portables and the crappy Tiger LCDs, for me at least, lies in the build quality. Tiger LCDs weren't just crude imitations of video games-- they were extremely cheaply made. One of those old mini arcade machines would have been a high quality toy for its time, but the Tiger-style LCD games were grocery store fodder. Something to shut the kids up on a sunday drive that could be found hanging next to a bag of green army men for only a few dollars.

And maybe it's just me but I feel like the higher-quality electro-mechanical games were more aware of their limitations. The Tiger games didn't care how bad of a mockery their version of Street Fighter II made of the original game-- they bought the license to slap Street Fighter 2 on a chunk of white plastic, and how faithful the actual game was didn't matter as long as it made beeping noises and there was a little number counter that goes up until you trigger a game over screen.

Case in point would be Nintendo's Game & Watch titles-- they designed all new games deliberately around the limitations of the format, and they came up with some fairly novel concepts that at the very least feel like actual games rather than just noisy time wasters.
>>
>>3970316
>Me too! Apparently this means we have crippling autism.

That's not what we're saying.
There's nothing wrong with liking LCD games.

Your egotistical attitude is why we call you a autist of the highest order.
>>
>tfw arguing on 4chan

https://youtu.be/kGex0kLgNok
>>
File: 2017-05-05 01.08.12.jpg (3MB, 1936x2581px) Image search: [Google]
2017-05-05 01.08.12.jpg
3MB, 1936x2581px
>>3970445
They're LEDs and NPD is a spectrum B personality disorder. A narcissist doesn't use his ego to deal with his problems. His ego is the problem.
>>
>>3970434
I was trying to take some pictures of some of those gray-on-gray LCD games like Tiger made but they just look too terrible no matter what I do. I don't know how they sold enough of the unlicensed ones to buy the licenses. I did get some fun out of Gauntlet and Ninja Gaiden but the kids with those Coleco tabletops were definitely the coolest kids on the bus even though they were years old by the time I was going to school.
>>
>>3970523
>LEDs

Suuuure...
>>
>>3969375
Game boy discussion is welcome but so is everything else. The idea of /rhh/ is for people to explore the topic of handheld gaming in a way that would expand their horizons, whether that's discovering a new gameboy game that they hadn't considered before or discovering an entire different handheld.
>>
File: 2017-05-05 18.12.41.jpg (3MB, 1936x2581px) Image search: [Google]
2017-05-05 18.12.41.jpg
3MB, 1936x2581px
Had the time to respond to some rude shit or other but it's already gone. 'preciate, janny.

So instead guess I'll contribute. While we're talking about gray-on-gray Tiger types and loud time wasters check out this brick game. I pass up tons of these things but this one spoke to me. I mean, not literally despite its clear promises of the exact opposite but it IS really really really loud and bleepy.
>>
It pains me how close the backlit SP is to being a perfect handheld

No headphone port isnt a big deal with adapters but the refresh rate on the screen is such a pain. Screen scrolling with any sort of black lines around makes me cry everytim
>>
File: 20170505_183346.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20170505_183346.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>3972143
First, I didn't report I never report so that feels good. Second, are they not LEDs? I mean if you have something on topic to add to the discussion you should do it. I always thought they were like a matrix of LEDs shining through some kind of like a plastic sheet with little cutouts but I never took a working one apart enough to check and if it makes you happy, I won't Google it now. You can go ahead and tell the class exactly how it works if it'll make you feel smart and happy. I'm genuinely sorry my character makes you so upset but I gotta be me, ESPECIALLY while tripping and even if you'll never appreciate it I still appreciate you for giving me a motivation to spit and polish these pieces, check their functions and contribute to this thread.
>>
File: 20170505_185348.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20170505_185348.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>3972220
I do have this. It's never worked right and it's pretty no name so maybe we should take a look. Shall we?
>>
>>3963419
The screen size is smaller and there are clear geometry issues.
>>
>>3972138
Just have an OG GBA modded with a 101 screen

Also, you're thinking of response time. Not refresh rate.
>>
File: 20170505_185830.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20170505_185830.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
I couldn't throw it away because of just how novel it's EM construction is. There's like three little film strips that loop over one another. One with clouds to symbolize the sky, a jet flying back and forth in the sky, and a rocket that the player fires off at the jet. There's also some conductive material so if the jet and the rocket are in the same place at the same time there's a satisfying noise and red light.
>>
>>3972253
Fuck off, seriously.
>>
File: 20170505_191639_HDR.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20170505_191639_HDR.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>3972254
It doesn't even score you, you click your own score with this little wheel. Also pictured is the gear attached to the steering wheel that moves the missile launcher back and forth at the bottom.
>>
r & i irrelevant drama posts
>>
File: 20170505_194306.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20170505_194306.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>3972285
Are those not LEDs? I mean if they're not I want to know.
>>
>>3972319
No, it's a VFD.
>>
>>3972491
Huh. So they're almost like tiny little bug zappers. That's interesting!
>>
I finally got my PSP2000 today, but I'm having issues with trying to play some of the PS1 games I downloaded. I placed them in the game folder, but they won't show up on the system or show up as corrupted. Anyone know what I did wrong?
>>
>>3972691
are they eboot.pbps?
>>
File: 20170505_235126.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20170505_235126.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>3972791
I haven't done anything but post on topic OC and reply to the people talking to me. Meanwhile you've been violating multiple global rules and contributing nothing. It's pretty easy to see why your posts have been getting deleted.

btw my Lynx screens look BAD REAL BAD holy shit I may have to do that screen mod. I wonder if my Nomads and Game Gears are so bad.
>>
>>3972691
Did you enable custom firmware on it? It's trivial to do it nowadays compared to the mess it used to be.
>>
>>3972902
>posts that are on topic and posting handheld systems don't get deleted
>posts that are irrelevant dramafaggotry are deleted

shut the fuck up about gramps and post about handhelds already for fuck's sake
>>
File: 20170506_005034.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20170506_005034.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>3972909
Barely is how I do everything
>>
>>3972894
Yeah I have custom firmware installed but it still shows up as corrupted.
>>
>>3969657
you're not making it better, tripfag.
you're showing cheap shit you'd find in a Walmart for 20$ and a supervision without contributing any discussion.
>>
>come into this thread expecting cool clone consoles and official console mod discussions
>it's just another thread Babbage's has shit up.
please stop ruining threads.
now watch as he acts innocent/plays dumb
>>
File: 20170506_010447.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20170506_010447.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>3973052
>>3973060
Aw you guys are too kind. You don't have to say all those nice things about me. I'm happy to show some rare and unusual pieces and add some variety to the same old Game Boy discussions. Just in case something happens to your posts at least this one will still be here to let you know I read and appreciated your kind sentiments.
>>
>>3969375
>I guess from the OP I had the impression this wasn't a game boy thread

meanwhile in the OP you didn't know how to read:

>Think of this kind of like a Game Boy general
>>
>>3972285
Why was this deleted?
>>
File: IMG_20170505_172739.jpg (78KB, 780x1040px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170505_172739.jpg
78KB, 780x1040px
I'll probably get shit on, but I got this in the mail today and it works in both my gameboys

sadly my Pocket has a little dead zone right across the status bar for health/missiles/remaining metroids

no issues at all in my Colour, but I haven't got rechargable batteries for that yet
>>
>>3973049
the folder structure should be ms0://PSP/GAME/folder/eboot.pbp

additionally, depending on whether it's an official PSN version or a home-built eboot may be the issue
>>
>>3973112
Yeah I finally figured out the issue I was having, my folders weren't properly named.
>>
>>3973143
so what games did you get?

I'm almost done downloading a 300GiB torrent of official PSN-released titles
>>
>>3973149
I'm only testing games on my PSP until I get a larger memory card for it, so like only one or two games right now.
>>
>>3963313
just get a gba sp 101
>>
>>3972253
Is there a video of what one of those things looks like when it's working?
>>
File: 20160705_145101.jpg (313KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
20160705_145101.jpg
313KB, 1280x720px
>>3972870
I have McWill's game gear screen mod and it's absolutely lovely. So much so that I am thinking about getting a Lynx 2 and modding it with the corresponding kit. Still need to add the VGA out port to it, though.
>>
File: 20160928_192403.jpg (259KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
20160928_192403.jpg
259KB, 960x720px
>>3973232
The GBA SP isn't terribly comfortable, and besides that GBC and GB games appear smaller on an SP screen.

An AGS 101 screen isn't a bad way to play GBC games, but I'm of the opinion that the experience of playing them on the GB Boy is better. I'm sure it's in part because the GBC form factor is so nostalgic to me, but it's a surprisingly well put together device.
>>
>>3973106
Why would you get shit on, Metroid II is great.
>>
File: Metroid_II_US_boxart.jpg (71KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
Metroid_II_US_boxart.jpg
71KB, 640x640px
>>3973106
I got Metroid II a few months ago too. Never owned it as a kid since my friend had it, and it wasn't until lately that I wanted to play the real thing instead of emulating.

I'm at the point now where I'm just kind of wandering around aimlessly because I'm not sure what to do next. The last useful thing I remember doing was collecting the Ice Beam.
>>
File: GBBoy AlleyWay Invert.jpg (75KB, 545x429px) Image search: [Google]
GBBoy AlleyWay Invert.jpg
75KB, 545x429px
>>3973282
Can also vouch for the GB Boy Colour, my only complaint is that the plastic screen lens is incredibly easy to scratch. Mine already looks like shit, and it's not like I treated it poorly. I mainly use it in the dark though, so it's not a huge issue.
>>
>>3973384
well, my reason for getting it might seem petty

my best time as a kid would rank me on runners' lists, and I want to prove to them and myself that I can still get there
>>
>>3973264
No but I might be able to coax mine into making a few passes without binding. The German version "UFO Abwehr" but there's no video of it in operation either. Guessing they're pretty touchy.

>>3973272
How tough was it to install? Apparently I'm a danger to myself and others with a soldering iron, according to Anon anyway.
>>
>>3968529
The SaGa games are pretty good. They have remakes on WonderSwan and DS, though. Compare the versions and decide which ones are right for you.
>>
>>3972134
I used to have something like one of these that doubled as a pen, of all things.

I accidentally dropped it and then it broke. What a shame.
>>
>>3973789
I have two or three of those running around somewhere. I basically treat them no better than I would a Bic or something yet they've continued to blink along on the same battery for a decade or more. I'll see if I can't snap a pic later.
>>
File: Clipboard01.png (12KB, 320x288px) Image search: [Google]
Clipboard01.png
12KB, 320x288px
>>3968529
Harry Potter 1 & 2 are surprisingly well made RPGs. Graphics are nice and soundtrack is rocking. 2 even has nice mini games.

Give them a try if you've read the books or are a fan of the movies. If you're not familiar with either, don't.
>>
>>3973523
I'd like to see what it would take to manufacture some glass screen lenses that would be the right size. I'm pretty sure they could be made with laser cutting, but I don't know how much it would cost to produce a quantity of them. And I don't know what it take to print to the bezel on the back, either.
>>
File: Adorable-Toaster-Sprite.gif (5KB, 128x128px) Image search: [Google]
Adorable-Toaster-Sprite.gif
5KB, 128x128px
>>3974175
The second game has you fighting against toasters! Look at them!

They're adorable!
>>
>>3974241
that is really cute
>>
>>3974241
Shes cute
>>
File: Adorable-Toaster-Attacked.gif (7KB, 128x128px) Image search: [Google]
Adorable-Toaster-Attacked.gif
7KB, 128x128px
>>3974270
>>3974281

When you attack them, they release their toast. ;__;

Couldn't resist and made another one for you guys. <3
>>
>>3974317
saved, thanks anon
>>
>>3974352
They also has a very funny attack animation where they shoot a fireball out of their slit, but putting that together would require somewhat more work.
>>
>>3973106
How much do they sell it for nowadays, I remember getting it cheap secondhand years ago.
>>
>>3974509
well, I got mine for 11.50, but someone did bid against me once
>>
File: DSC_0213.jpg (3MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0213.jpg
3MB, 3840x2160px
Picked this baby up when I was in Japan, 3000 yen for it.
>>
>>3974871
Nice. I'm still torn as to whether or not I want a Wonder Swan because I'm not sure if I'm enough of a weeb for it, but it still seems like a neat system.
>>
File: junk.jpg (815KB, 1920x1440px) Image search: [Google]
junk.jpg
815KB, 1920x1440px
Saw these yesterday and thought of this thread.
>>
File: 335693670637.jpg (36KB, 380x443px) Image search: [Google]
335693670637.jpg
36KB, 380x443px
>>3975349
>that huge ass bezel to "create the illusion" of a big colorful screen
>>
I'm torn between buying a GBA SP 101 or trying at buying a clone handheld to emulate multiple consoles. Only snag is I want something that isn't going to have accuracy issues.

I also have a PSP, but the screen has some minor water damage and the shell is getting busted.
>>
>>3975349
Not even Japan can escape POPStations.
>>
>>3976530
If you want a versatile handheld, buy another PSP. A GBA SP is an alright option too.
>>
>>3977526
get a PSP Go

the M2 cards are a pain, but aren't REQUIRED except for a specific game (Outrun 2006, and that's hit-or-miss, both times I've had to create the initial save on the M2, then transfer to internal where it loads/saves fine), it's moddable, supports bluetooth controller if you want to play games like that, and supports bluetooth headsets on top of that
>>
>>3976530

If you want to stick with GBA try revo k-101+: GBA clone + dedicated flashcart.
>>
Do old skins work with the newer EZ Flash IV release? If so, how to make them work, and what skin are you using?
>>
File: gallery_111084_186_312909.jpg (157KB, 687x1200px) Image search: [Google]
gallery_111084_186_312909.jpg
157KB, 687x1200px
>>3977895
There also is the K1 GBA SP which appears to be a near-perfect hardware clone with improved display that came with a flashcard.

Was it any good?
>>
>>3978523
I hear they're rather cheaply made and some people online complain about button responsiveness. Anyone here owns one of these?
>>
>>3978631
I don't but in my experience with Famiclone controllers I've found that most of the time if a button doesn't work right it's just a QA problem and if you take them apart and just go over them checking for uncleaned burs etc you can fix them pretty easily. In the case of something like that which is a real case clone, replacement (or OEM) button hardware may well slot right in.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170508-120659.jpg (746KB, 1080x1072px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170508-120659.jpg
746KB, 1080x1072px
Just finished this GBA mod with a Nintendo Switch color scheme and backlit screen
>>
>>3978854
Nice. Welcome to the AGS 101 Phat club.
>>
>>3973272
I feel like the wonky scaling would fuck with my head, but I love how much clearer it is.
>>
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nintendo-Game-Boy-Advance-SP-pearl-blue-Handheld-System-AGS-101/252925773201

>Buy a Pearl pink version of this for about the same price a few days ago, despite wanting the blue
>This pops up today.

Fuck. Welp, who want?
>>
>>3978523
I have one, it's a piece of shit.

They stopped making them, but they still make the K101 (don't buy one of those either).
The screen is the wrong aspect ratio and they screwed up the power management to the point where after around an hour it just starts flickering and there's no way to stop it. The "flashcart" only works on the clone and you need to press a button combination to back up your SRAM to the cart. Compatibility's pretty good, but there's a couple games with graphical glitches (Super Mario Advance 2 is one iirc) that they never bothered fixing.
It also only plays GBA games, and none of the "enhanced" carts (WarioWare Twisted, Drill Dozer, etc) work.
>>
>>3979252
I got used to it. There's also a horizontal integer scaling mode, but honestly the "shimmer" effect doesn't bother me even though I see it.

The one thing I wish the board had was the ability to remember what setting the screen was on when it shuts off. If you made some modifications to the plastic on the GG itself, you could easily cut away just a little bit of plastic and leave the screen in horizontal integer mode since the screen has a bit of overscan area.
>>
How's the durability/build quality of the GB Boy? It looks pretty cool but I want to know it's not gonna break the first time my cat smacks it off the couch.
>>
>>3979549
Thank you, this is the kind of post I wanted to read this entire thread.
>>
>>3979953
Yeah, It's a bit sad though as I was considering to stop using the DSi to use one of those and now that's out of the question. Good to know.
>>
>>3979912
GB Boy Colour or Pocket? Colour is a tank, but the screen protector is the softest, most scratchable plastic. Totally worth $30 though, playing game boy in the dark is rad.
>>
>>3979995
Good to know. I've been meaning to replace my GBC since mine got stolen a while back. It's gotten pretty hard to find Gameboys in good shape for cheap, outside of maybe stumbling on one at a garage sale.
>>
>>3980118
Yeah, a lot of them are beat to shit. The Pocket is my go-to for well-lit play, but I go with the GB Boy when needed. The screen is a little bit squished, but it's really fucking bright and the squishing isn't much worse than what the Super Game Boy does, imo. Even the d-pad and buttons are pretty nice. You can't 'rock' the d-pad, but for games where that's not critical it's quite clicky and nice. I was honestly surprised with how decent the whole thing is overall. I might get a regular GB Boy soon too, if only because they're $15.
>>
>>3979912
The construction quality is surprisingly similar to the official GBC. The plastic doesn't feel cheap and there's no creaking / flexing. I've dropped mine before and it still works fine.
>>
I never really "got" the reasoning behind a portable game system. There's no way to play them in public without looking like a manchild. And if you're playing at home, wouldn't you just want to play the game on the big screen tv instead of staring at the little screen on the gameboy?
>>
>>3980178
It must suck to feel ashamed of your hobbies.
>>
>>3980186
It's not me that's ashamed, it's the rest of society that is shaming. I like games fine, but they're not worth ruining my reputation. I play games at home free of shame, and I don't feel shame about playing in public, I just don't want to have strangers judging me.
>>
>>3980178
Couldn't sneak a TV and SNES to school to play during recess.

>>3980206
Man, you are way too sensitive. No one gives a single fuck if you play video games.
>I don't feel shame about playing in public, I just don't want to have strangers judging me.
That is literally the definition of feeling shame.
>>
>>3980206
That's interesting. What do YOU think of people who are proud to be thought of as gamers and wear clothes or sport slaps that declare it? Probably that they're posers that are only doing it as an affectation? Or ironically?
>>
>>3980118
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nintendo-Game-Boy-Color-Atomic-Purple-Handheld-System-TESTED-WORKING-Clear-/222504727923?hash=item33ce50b573:g:bz0AAOSwi7RZETH5
>>
>>3974241
How?
I thought electronics don't work on Hogwarts
Clockwork does but not electronics.
>>
I just found my old gba and SP.

I'm planning on giving them some adjustments in the near future

>ordered a replacement back for the gba
>ordered and replacing the screen lens cover for the gba
>plan on replacing the battery on the SP as well as giving it new housing in the near future

I'm a noob at this stuff but I should manage.
>>
>>3980393
>good condition
>no battery cover
This is why people hate resellers. That is a surprisingly reasonable price, though.
>>
>>3980443
I think complex electronics like computers don't work, but simple appliances do. It's been a long time since I read Harry Potter.
>>
>>3980548
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gamebound-GB-Boy-Color-Gameboy-Handheld-Game-Console-2-7-Backlit-Screen-66-B/322497857416?_trksid=

Here's some more fuel.
>>
>>3980443
The toasters are one of the enemies encountered at the beginning of Chamber of Secrets for the GBC. After a short intro depicting his escape from the Dursleys, the game starts out with Harry arriving at the Burrow, the Weaselby family house. Arthur, the father, has a thing for muggle artifacts and (illegally) enchanting them, just like with his car.

The animated household objects roaming the place are supposedly of his creation.

Have another one.
>>
>>3980873
Disclaimer: There may have been similar enemies (or palette swaps thereof) in the classroom for muggle studies - or the classroom for "non-magical studies", as it's apparently called in this game, as the word "muggle" is for some reason avoided were possible in this installment. The more you know.

I can't recall for sure, though. But then again, the explanation holds that these are simply enchanted. "It's magic. I ain't gotta explain shit."
>>
>>3980873
>>3980875
Okay.

>>3978854
Also, nice news that you have ascended to the OG GBA + AGS-101 screen master race.
>>
>>3980178
You could be on a trip and need something to do during a several hour car ride. Maybe there was only one TV in the house and somebody was already using it. Maybe you wanted something you could sneakily play in the dead of night because you have strict parents. Maybe your parents wouldn't shill out for the price of a home console but were willing to settle on a significantly cheaper handheld.
>>
What color GBC should I get? I'm looking at getting a set of translucent Game Boys and while I've settled for the standard clear GB I'm trying to decide on a color for a GBC. So far I have the extreme green GBP and a clear red/pink GBA. The only option I'm avoiding is atomic purple.
>>
>>3982809
Teal is my favorite for GBC.
>>
I wanted to mod by GB Boy colour with a real GBC Dpad but I don't have any spare of those.
Is the GBC and GBA Dpad the same thing?
>>
>>3983735
There are sites that sell a set of GBC buttons for relatively cheap ($2 USD), like handheld legend.
>>
>>3983984
I don't feel like waiting 2 months for those pieces, it's pretty shitty in Canada. Do you think a GBA dpad could fit or is that a bad idea
>>
File: IMG_2742.jpg (258KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2742.jpg
258KB, 2048x1152px
Anyone here have experience with a gameboy macro?

Also would this thing even read a GBA flash cart?
>>
>>3984124
It's literally a DS lite with the top screen ripped off. It's shit.
>>
>>3984124
I don't really understand the GameBoy Macro unless your top screen is broken.

I prefer playing GBA with the top screen anyway.

Can you still get those supercards for the DS Lite that sit flush? I had one of those back in the day and it was awesome.
>>
>>3984124
These are not things you buy, anon.They're only worth owning if your DS broke and you made it yourself.
>>
>>3980870
They're marking it up really high for the normies who want one but are are scared shitless of Ali Express and think it's a scam (even though it's not).

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2-7-Kong-Feng-GB-Boy-Classic-Color-Handheld-Game-Console-Game-Player-with-Backlut-66/32691094474.html
>>
>>3963298
use your phone for portable emulators or get a GBA sp/new3ds/psp to emulate retro nintendo
always emulate nintendo
>>
>>3984124
Not really worth it unless you already own a broken DS. It's cheaper than an AGS-101 GBA phat, obviously, but the screen is smaller, it can't play GB / GBC games, and it has that dorky thing with the GBA cart sticking out.

It's a neat way to recycle broken DS units but I wouldn't spend money on a broken DS just to make one.
Thread posts: 187
Thread images: 47

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.