[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/Point & Click Adventures/ general

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 18

File: phantasmagoria.jpg (494KB, 1576x1128px) Image search: [Google]
phantasmagoria.jpg
494KB, 1576x1128px
So What have you been playing? Why is this genre so comfy? Just started Phantasmagoria. Do you think we will ever get a 3rd sequel?
>>
People should try Azrael's Tear very good point & click
>>
Journeyman Project is pretty good. Recommended you get the original or Turbo version, not Pegasus Prime. Sure, the remake does make it graphically closer to the other two games, but it also adds in a bunch of bullshit that is just annoying. Instead of being treated to a video when you travel from area to area in the underwater level, now you have to do a trial-and-error navigation, the "non-violent" solution to the underwater level no longer works(and leads to your death now), and probably some other assorted crap I can't remember.

Just stick with the original or the Turbo version. Best looking graphical adventure prior to Myst, did the whole pre-rendered thing before the Miller's ever decided to make a game.
>>
>>3962281
this looks great.
>>3962270
this not so much.
>>
comfy is just a code word for boring desu
>>
>>3962221
I do wish this genre would come back. I love shitty Z movies.
The best one i played when it was "new" was the Titanic:Adventure out of time.
It came with a full recreation of the ship you could walk around in without the game as well.
>>
File: point and click renaissance.jpg (280KB, 1008x644px) Image search: [Google]
point and click renaissance.jpg
280KB, 1008x644px
>>3963286
but it has come back in the last 5 years or so
>>
File: meirl.gif (82KB, 320x134px) Image search: [Google]
meirl.gif
82KB, 320x134px
>>3963471
It's still niche as motherfuck though; it used to be full-blown mainstream.

I've been playing Simon the Sorcerer for some reason; what I really miss about this one is the huge amount of filler locations. It created an actual sense of place, instead of just a bunch of game screens chockfull of items to pick up and puzzles to solve
>>
File: QfG1.png (1MB, 1920x1076px) Image search: [Google]
QfG1.png
1MB, 1920x1076px
I've been replaying through Quest for Glory with four simultaneous playthroughs. A Magic User / Wizard, Thief, Fighter and Paladin. I'm in the middle of the Fighter playthrough now and I forgot just how dull it was compared to all the others. Like all the obstacles and puzzles are just overcome with "attack it."
>>
>>3963478
>it used to be full-blown mainstream.
I remember. ;_; The closest to mainstream adventure game we have now is Telltale's The Walking Dead
>>
File: IMG_3927.jpg (217KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3927.jpg
217KB, 1024x768px
Make way for the king, baby. I've been replaying the first two monkey island games. It's been years. What the fuck is the real secret of monkey island?!
>>
>>3963483
Fighter was the easy mode for most puzzles.
>you need the kobold's key! do you:
>sneak in and pickpocket it
>craftily lift it with a fetch spell
>KILL
or
>Toro is guarding the gate! do you:
>sneak around him and climb the gate
>cast a calm spell and put him to sleep
>KILL
or even just class-related score bonuses
>mage plays Erasmus in Mage's Maze, utilizing all spells learned
>thief joins the guild and burglarizes the town while enjoying a special fence and mini games
>Fighter kills shit
>>
Is this book good for discovering old hidden gems?
>>
>>3963495
>chicken and pulley
Hah
>>
>>3963489
OP here. I also recently finished both of them the special editions. Monkey 2 was really long and had some pretty random solutions to quests. I had to look the walkthrough a few times. Also dat ending. is this why Guybrush is floating in the Caribbean in a bumper car in the beginning of The Cures of Monkey Island
>>
>>3963497
Curse ain't a real sequel pal! Also I played the special editions for the first time, but I was in classic mode almost the entire play through. Jesus that new art style is disturbing. I do wonder how monkey island 3a would have played out though
>>
>>3963497
It's (literally) a salvage of that ending, yes

>>3963489
Isn't a giant monkey head housing an entrance into a hellish network of caverns -or probably actual Hell- in which a ghost pirate ship drops anchor secret enough for you?
>>
>>3963506
That's the secret in Monkey 1, but Ron Gilbert claims that the true secret has yet to be revealed. Have you beaten Monkey 2 yet?
>>
I just beat Myst. Really awesome atmosphere. Foreboding and the feeling of something terrible bubbling underneath the surreal, impossibly serene world. I have mixed feelings about the difficulty. I really breezed through it, except for two points which completely walled me, so I opted to use a hint. The elevator in the Age with the thrones, and the secret passage to the middle section between the cabins in the Ship Age. The second I think I could have figured out eventually but I felt the game taught you that you can't move while stuff is happening, so I doubt I would have ever solved the elevator.

Everything felt really fair. I've never extensively played any classic point and click due to usually needing to try everything. Except I have no idea how a non-musician is supposed to solve the keyboard puzzle without a piano next to the computer
>>
>>3963516
nice which version did you play anon? I definitely want to jump into the Myst series. I missed it when I was young.
>>
>>3963516
Is must worth playing? It seems to have that disturbing 90's fmv feel
>>
>>3963519
Masterpiece edition on GoG is the only way to go for playing on modern systems. Another popular version is RealMyst which is an unfaithful remake, since you're in this thread I assume you won't want a 3D remake. The prerendered video of the original is beautiful to me. From a historical aspect too, you might try to understand why it became one of the best selling PC games ever.

>>3963523
It definitely does. A lot of unintentionally(?) funny parts had me laughing, so whether you're up for maximum overcheese is up to you.
>>
File: cmi-map.jpg (403KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
cmi-map.jpg
403KB, 1280x1024px
>>3963513
Fair enough, but he a) doesn't control the series anymore and b) was making shit up as he went to begin with.

Also, there's no Monkey Island in LeChuck's revenge; it was in Curse where they retconned Dinky Island to be connected to Monkey Island, and he -famously- had nothing to do with that one
>>
File: riven.jpg (2MB, 5120x3200px) Image search: [Google]
riven.jpg
2MB, 5120x3200px
>>3963516
I beat Myst last summer, thought it was ok. Riven completely blows it out of the water - I don't know why Myst is the more famous game.

>>3963519
Seconding masterpiece edition
>>
>>3963549
>Masterpiece edition on GoG
is there a difference with Masterpiece edition on steam?
>>
>>3962221
Frankenstien; Though the Eyes of the Monster

Best part is - TIM CURRY IS VICTOR FRANKENSTIEN!!!
>>
File: goosebumps.jpg (112KB, 467x455px) Image search: [Google]
goosebumps.jpg
112KB, 467x455px
I have a physical copy of this but never got to finish it when I was a kid. Is it worth revisiting?
>>
>>3963773
Only if you want to see a cringey scene of Jeff Goldblum playing Dracula.

I do love that game's environments, I think it's worth playing for that. The puzzles are fine, I only really got stuck once, even as a kid (in the museum).

Also have you gone down the trash cans? I do recommend trying to beat all those levels, just because they're fun and pretty scary.
>>
File: 1996-shivers.jpg (87KB, 700x525px) Image search: [Google]
1996-shivers.jpg
87KB, 700x525px
Has anyone played Shivers? It's pretty fun.
>>
>>3963612
Don't blame me when it doesn't launch. Though I guess both websites have refund policies.
>>
File: gemini rue.jpg (30KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
gemini rue.jpg
30KB, 300x300px
Reminder that Gemini Rue is horribly overrated
>>
>>3964139
I've always thought so too. Some pretty cool setpieces and so but mostly it's "oh nice pixel graphics just like in my childhood" hype that's not based on any actual merits.
>>
>>3963478
Dunno if you made this gif, but it 100% convinced me to check this game out. Thanks.
>>
>>3964139
What about Technobabylon, Shardlight and Primordia and Neofreud?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQAMJgs5euA
>>
>>3963869
It had a very good mix of creepy and comfy atmosphere. Fuck that flipper puzzle, though.
>>
>>3964560
I have yet to play a modern indie point n click that goes beyond just recreating the look of old adventure games and actually matches them in terms of scope and satisfying puzzles. Finished the Blackwell games recently and they're barely one step above a visual novel.
>>
File: curtis.gif (3MB, 250x170px) Image search: [Google]
curtis.gif
3MB, 250x170px
>>3962221
I fucking loved Phantasmagoria 1 and 2. They weren't really good as games because most of the puzzles were retarded use-key-on-door tier "puzzles", but as interactive movies they were both 5/5. I liked Phantasmagoria 2 better than the first one because the second one had actual sets instead of those weird 90s CGI backgrounds.

Phantasmagoria 2 is great because it's so cheesy and comfy at the same time, I really do feel like I'm watching some MST3K featured b-movie when I play it. Of course the puzzles are really weak and there's lots of pixel hunting, but I still loved it. It's probably very unlikely that there will ever be another Phantasmagoria game, the second one was already a flop for some reason even though it's 100% more of a game than the first one.

I also liked how Phantasmagoria 2 has nothing to do with the first game, they really should had made more Phantasmagoria games and make it as some sort of horror anthology series or something. Hell, digitally released episodic format of Phantasmagoria 3 could work nowadays pretty well.
>>
File: GabrielKnightBoxArt.jpg (50KB, 435x530px) Image search: [Google]
GabrielKnightBoxArt.jpg
50KB, 435x530px
I've been playing Gabriel Knight for the first time and so far I've been enjoying it very much. I'm glad that I didn't play it as kid, I don't know if I could've had appreciated it back then because it's pretty "mature" compared to some of the other adventure games I played back then ie. Monkey Island.

The original box says "The first time when we have actually experienced fear from watching a computer game", but so far there haven't been anything spooky in the game. I'm pretty early in the game so I guess the spooky is still coming. I got this game and bunch of other Sierra classics from that one Humble Bundle.
>>
File: gabe.jpg (29KB, 262x337px) Image search: [Google]
gabe.jpg
29KB, 262x337px
Just tell me... anything at all..!
>>
>>3963549
People seem to have a lot of trouble running Myst : ME on windows 7/8/10. Did it work for you ?
>>
>>3962221
>So What have you been playing?
Nothing yet as i'm new to the genre. I've heard blade runner is a great place to start is this true?
>>
>>3966146
That was annoying as fuck.
>>
File: the secret of steel.jpg (186KB, 879x670px) Image search: [Google]
the secret of steel.jpg
186KB, 879x670px
>>3963489
>>
File: gabe2.jpg (27KB, 235x297px) Image search: [Google]
gabe2.jpg
27KB, 235x297px
>>3966156
What can you tell me about... voodoo?
Tell me about... saint john's... eve....
>>
File: harvester house of flame.jpg (345KB, 1030x793px) Image search: [Google]
harvester house of flame.jpg
345KB, 1030x793px
So, who /harvester/ here? I enjoyed this game a lot. It's really violent and bizarre, nothing really makes any sense. Just let the absurdness wash over you and enjoy the ride.
>>
>>3966164
I tried playing it but coming from Sierra\Lucasarts games the puzzles were really quite odd. I enjoyed watching a playthrough a lot though, I'd like to see any other adventure games with a similar what-the-fuck vibe.
>>
File: IMG_3936.png (190KB, 600x375px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3936.png
190KB, 600x375px
>>3966162
The VGA in that game is beautiful. The EGA version is interesting in a technical way, but it looks pretty shite desu
>>
>>3964560
Technobabylon > Primordia >>>>>> Shardlight
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 18

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.