[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Nes vs snes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 5

File: nes-snes.jpg (15KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
nes-snes.jpg
15KB, 400x300px
Which had the better library?
>>
NES for sure it completely dominated and got all the best games in every genre. SNES had to fight to keep developers and carefully split the market.
>>
Sheer Amount? NES
Genre Variety? NES
Best games? SNES
>>
NES. All the devs were developing for the system. NES didn't have a real rival for market share, at least in the US where the Master System never took off.
>>
SNES.

I used to think that the NES had the larger and better library, and yeah, it had such a stranglehold of the industry that it did have the largest selection of best games, but when it comes to the largest amount of truly great titles, it has to be the Super Nintendo.

And I'm not just talking about the ones everyone knows like Link to the Past or Chrono Trigger, I'm talking about gems like Assault Suits Valken, Demon's Crest, the dozen or so great non-Square JRPGs that didn't cross over to the west (and the JP-only Square games), Skyblazer, Super Adventure Island 2, DoReMi Fantasy, Tactics Ogre, and many more.

It's quality titles are very high up there.

The NES does though have such a huge list of hidden gems that you could spend years trying to play/beat them all. Still, the hidden gems and library in general don't match the over all quality of the refined SNES titles.
>>
I prefer the NES's variety, experimentation, and heavier focus on arcade-style games. You get to the meat and potatoes of a game very quickly on the NES.
>>
>>3960125
>I used to think that the NES had the larger and better library
>Still, the hidden gems and library in general don't match the over all quality of the refined SNES titles.
Funny, my experience is pretty much the exact opposite of yours. I used to be all-in about the SNES, but my NES collection eclipsed my SNES collection long ago and I've come to the conclusion that the NES is overall better.
>>
Comparing the two libraries, I prefer the NES. It feels like there is a nice mix of variety and experimentation going on. The SNES has great games, but I feel like developers started experimenting less. Once you play the classics, you can pretty much avoid the rest
>>
NES > N64 > SNES > Gamecube > Wii > Wii U > Switch
>>
NES not have weak point on own gen.
SNES have problems with CPU speed at begin of gen .
Most of action, shooting are too slow.
>>
>>3960217
>SNES have problems with CPU speed at begin of gen .
I wish this meme would go away.
>>
The SNES had the best children oriented games, I'm a segafag from the beginning but I've been playing a shitload of 16-bit stuff again so I've got SMW and DKC and the other standouts from the SNES on this computer and seeing them again years later I can't help but mention how happy and fun those games are, I guarantee if you sat a kid who's used to android games and shit in front of DKC especially they would be as amazed as we were in the 90s

The NES though is better for our purposes. Like I said I grew up with sega, but if I was going to be completely honest the NES might be my favorite system ever made. I'm not that old either, I wasn't even born when the thing came out so it isn't just nostalgia, the console is really just that great. Megaman, Super Mario Bros, Metroid, Battletoads, weird shit like Gimmick! and fun in a historical sort of way little games like Rad Racer or Duck Hunt, it all started here and a lot of it is still good. The graphics are ugly as fuck generally, especially when they were trying to draw something that exists in real life, but I've never seen a game slow down like will happen on the SNES. Most entries are supremely hard, as well. If any of you aren't into 8-bit or just haven't played the NES much you should download an emulator now, it's that good. I overlooked it for years cause of the age and kiddie associations and I'm almost glad I did cause now I have all these great games to play
>>
>>3960157
I feel this way as well. One of the things that I really feel that the NES (and also, the Genesis) does better than the SNES is that it simply has a lot of weird platformers and other neat, quirky titles that the SNES simply doesnt have. By all means if RPGs are your game the SNES is better without question. I don't really find it to be a huge selling point though, as I feel like playing through the best ones once or twice is good enough and the library really falters after that if you ask me. It also happens to really lack good Beat 'Em Ups...I almost prefer playing Mighty Final Fight to Final Fight on the NES...
>>
>>3959983

Unless you're obsessed with the worst genre possible (the JRPG), the NES wins by miles.
>>
>>3959983
SNES by far.

I mean, I like NES, but realistically there's only a handful of actually great games for it.
>>
>>3959983
basically what >>3960315 said
If you like RPGs SNES wins
FF4-6
Chrono Trigger
and LttP

if you prefer Platformers
NES by a long shot
Megaman in it's entirety
it's all you need
>>
>>3960315
The NES has some awesome RPGs though. Personally, nothing I've played on the SNES has beaten DQ3. I dislike "cinematic" 50-hour jrpgs, I never finish them out of tedium.
>>
>>3960607
FFV and Chrono Trigger aren't "cinematic" jrpgs
>>
>>3959983

SNES no comparison.
>>
>>3960809
Zelda 1 and 2 were pretty awesome,
the Megamans, and the first three CV games were on NES

what makes SNES better?
>>
Hard to decide really. I love both. The NES was where home video gaming became 'real' and developers actually started to innovate with the way the player could interact with what was on-screen.

The SNES games really just refined what came before on the NES and took them to new levels. First party titles such as A Link to the Past, Super Metroid and SMW were superior in every way to their predecessors, adding new mechanics and complexity whilst retaining everything that made the originals so beloved.
>>
>>3959983
None of them. The N64 was better than both because it revolutionized gaming unlike any predecessor with its 3D games, the analogue stick, the rumble pak, 4-player gaming ... no way either NES or SNES can hold up against that!
>>
>>3959983
Most NES games were poorly designed, developers didn't knew what was good or bad for a game yet - just watch GCCX or AVGN and you will see a lot of examples, things that are rarer in SNES games.

I think SNES is a lot more polished, platformers are not about some weird enemy spawning non-stop in a small space, rpgs are not about deep labyrinths with 200 random encounters and no checkpoints before a boss, not saying that NES is garbage or anything like that, I still like a good bunch of games, but SNES is just a better experience to me.
>>
>>3960923
>he bases his opinions about NES games on videos from e-celebs instead of playing them himself
Somehow it doesn't surprise me ...
>>
File: Jerishill.png (232KB, 454x505px) Image search: [Google]
Jerishill.png
232KB, 454x505px
>>3960909
>The NES was where home video gaming became 'real' and developers actually started to innovate with the way the player could interact with what was on-screen.
>>
>>3960927
not the worst thing,
I wasn't the biggest fan of OoT just couldn't put my finger on it, Sequalitis gave names to those things.

I now know Why I like SA2 from Projared due to only playing the good stages for the chao (as in he wasn't wrong in his point)

it's not the worst thing, it's also how I got into Castlevania

it's bad when you use 100% of your opinions based on their own opinions, but it doesn't sound like that anon is
>>
File: butthurt.webm (2MB, 820x626px) Image search: [Google]
butthurt.webm
2MB, 820x626px
>>3960909
>The NES was where home video gaming became 'real'
I know this poster is probably over 18. I also know they probably don't mean this as a troll. I know this, dammit.

Why am I still triggered?
>>
>>3960315
You mean (text adventure).
Sorry nobody wanted wrpgs back in the day. Hell, nobody wants to pay more than $5 on the collector's market for them today. Sad.
>>
>>3960941
He really meant arcade
>>
>>3961392
Sauce on game?
>>
>>3959983
>Sheer Amount? Super Famicom
>Genre Variety? Super Famicom
>Best games? Super Famicom
>>
>>3961412
Muramasa the Demon Blade, it's a Vita game; it's also on Wii but you can't play as the oni girl in that version
>>
>>3960607
This, 8 bit JPEGs are more fun anyway

>>3961392
I think he meant that console games became much more distinct from arcade games, which is correct
>>
>>3961630
>This, 8 bit JPEGs are more fun anyway

If it only has 256 colors, it might as well be a GIF.

>typos are funny
>>
>>3960157
>>3960314
The NES has a much larger selection of good games, but many of those are just quirky platformers that all kind of play similar and feel like the same game after awhile.

On the other hand the SNES has many more bonafide *and* unique masterpieces (popular and unknown) you can play today.

I thought the NES had a better library too until I took a step too and looked at the big picture.

Also the SNES has some pretty great beat 'em ups if you look hard, like Ninja Warriors Again and the Kunio-Kun Japan only titles.
>>
>>3960607
The SNES version of DQ3 is spiffy tho
>>
File: bth.gif (1MB, 300x189px) Image search: [Google]
bth.gif
1MB, 300x189px
>>3959983
>>
>>3963086
this
>>
>>3960201
Almost
NES = SNES > N64 = Gamecube > Wii > Wii U >> Switch
>>
>>3963616
>Knocking the switch library
It's barely been out for 2 months anon, give it a couple years
>>
>>3960923
>Just watch AVGN
Wew lad
i'm too young for NES (27) and i don't even do this
>>
>>3963629
Is 27 too young for NES? I was a poor fag and played it til like 2002, when the games were 50 cents or so. Sold them all like a complete moron. I'm 24.
>>
>>3963656
i just played the snes
>>
>>3959983
In general, NES games were a lot simpler in scope. I would say a lot of them are also a lot harder than the SNES.

Not that the SNES doesn't have simple or hard games, but in general they were easier and more complex. I would also say that in general, the SNES had better quality control and a tighter overall library as a result.
>>
>>3963656
>>3963629

I'm 26 and I played NES games regardless during my childhood even if it was only a few games of them at the time. You're never too young or too old for retro games, just gotta be in the right mind set for it.
>>
>>3963656
I'm 21 and my first console was the NES, before we got an N64.

The NES was still pretty much an option in the mid 90's, especially if you didn't really want to pay a premium for the more current games
>>
Depends on what kind of games you like.

NES
>Arcade-like
>Short games
>Steep learning curves
>Simple mechanics
>Better options for cooperative play
>Emphasis on mastery

SNES
>Narrative
>Long games
>Even learning curves
>Complex mechanics
>Better suited to single player experience (except for fightan games)
>Emphasis on completion
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.