[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Megami Tensei I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 11

File: dds3[1].png (13KB, 512x448px) Image search: [Google]
dds3[1].png
13KB, 512x448px
This game is too adictive for its own good. How do you avoid running out of magic points?
>>
You economize them. Do you expect some infinite source of health in a dungeon crawler?
When you get demons with reviving spells you can get Yumiko killed so that her MP return to maximum. This also works for demons but those will cost money to resummon.
>>
>>3959118
So, should i give up to using the strongs available demons? I'm now exploring the lower levels of valhalla's corridor
>>
Also i love the sprites of this remake. I'd like to check them individually.
>>
>>3959335
Did you mean Magnetite? In the beginning try to balance your summons so that you gain more MAG than you lose.
Later on you can ignore it since the HP-loss is small compared to your max-HP and available healing.
>>
File: if is coming.png (14KB, 256x224px) Image search: [Google]
if is coming.png
14KB, 256x224px
>>
>>3959379

Is this a fanlation joke I see before me?
>>
>>3959356
This, SMT is more about playing smart than anything else, so learn to take things down in a flash.
>>
>>3959356
How does the hp loss work?
>>
>>3959458
If you have no magnetite left your demons lose like 1HP per step.
>>
I kind of want to play these games but I heard a podcast on them and they sound a bit too tedious
>>
>>3959403
It's an edit I made, I don't remember which MT it's from.

>>3959882
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seNMCgcc0Kw
>>
>>3959379
seriously, someone should just translate it a head of AG just to tear them a new one.
>>
>>3959934
Gideon has been sitting on the translation for literally a decade. It is also someone else's work. I'm pretty sure he's just ransoming it to try and make Atlus hire him or something.
>>
>>3960028
all the more reason for someone else to do it.
>>
>>3959014
Eventually you will be rocking demons with 600+ hp, at 1 hp per step with 0 magnetite you will be fine, especially since healing is so cheap
>>
>>3959343
Megaten fandom wiki has them all
>>
>>3959343
it's a remake? for what platform?
>>
>>3960476
It's Kyûyaku Megami Tensei for the Super Famicom. It's both Famicom MegaTen games.
>>
File: RetroArch-0430-212637.png (23KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
RetroArch-0430-212637.png
23KB, 1024x768px
I just started playing yesterday myself. Beat the Minotaur and I'm getting some better demons in my party before moving to the next dungeon.

I read somewhere that Intellect on the MC influences monster negotiations. Can someone confirm this? I don't really wanna waste points I could be putting into STR.
>>
>>3960560
I don't really know how much INT matters, it's more a SMT 1 and 2 thing. You might as well give him 10 over time. But unless you're struggling with negotiations, I wouldn't.
>>
>>3960560
It probably does but I never had issues with keeping it at the base value. They may demand more makka but that wasn't really a constraint anyway.
>>
>not the NES version

Get out of here
>>
>>3960668
That's tedious as fuck. I respect you if you could get through it, but it's like playing Wizardry on the Apple II.
I don't get an enjoyment from mapping so the automap in the SNES version is a total lifesaver.
>>
>>3960145
>Megaten fandom wiki
No they don't http://megamitensei.wikia.com/wiki/Dwarf
>>
File: IMG_0044.gif (1KB, 122x122px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0044.gif
1KB, 122x122px
>>3961289
yeah they do, pic related
>>
>>3961289
>>3961318
you have to look under 'stats' and you'll see the sprites for each game that demon appears in
>>
>>3959014
>addictive

I couldn't stand the hallway into 3D constantly.
>>
>>3961346
First-person dungeon crawling certainly isn't for everyone, but those who like it really like it.
>>
>>3961318
>>3961327
That's true, thank you anon.
>>
File: demonic shitposting.jpg (52KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
demonic shitposting.jpg
52KB, 640x480px
>>3960560
Just go full WURL OF STR, anon
>>
>>3961391
Just ctrl f for the game name. The sprite will be with the stat box (if they have them) or the bottom of the page if they dont.
>>
>>3961391
No problem, hombre. Happy to help. I'm not usually into Fandom shit, but their SMT site is damn good; I even have the app on my phone for quick reference of elemental weaknesses and shit.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVCD_qlpKDg
>>
>>3960560
The manual for SMT1 says that INT effects conversations but I dont think you should worry about it
>>
File: RetroArch-0430-193529.png (16KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
RetroArch-0430-193529.png
16KB, 1024x768px
>"give me 100 mecca and I'll join you!"
>yes
>"Hehe, you're generous... How about another 100?

Some demons are fuckin assholes.
>>
>>3961364
I actually do like it. I liked Legend of Grimrock anyway but it was jarring for me to go to "3D" movement and suddenly thrust back into first person hallway mode.

Is it necessary to play one to understand the rest of the series or is there an even better place to start?
>>
If... translation when?
>>
>>3959014
Don't have too many demons summoned. You can get through the first area with only Nakajima and Yumiko and at least the next two areas with only one or two demons. You might have to backtrack/teleport out more often, but since you are exploring the different floors and can just run from staircase to staircase afterwards, it's not that big of a deal.
Usually you will know when you are coming up on a boss fight and can summon a full party then.
In later areas it's not that bad if you run out of MAG.
>>
>>3959882
>podcast
95% of chance that they're casuals to begin with, I would recommend SMT3: Nocturne as a starting point to see if you like the franchise.
>>
>>3964373
Start with the not-retro games, and then it will be easy to play the older ones. Once you see all the elements in the games that actually date all the way back to the Famicom games, you have a deeper appreciation for them. That said, the SFC remakes of MTIⅈ Kyuyakuu Megami Tensei are translated and significantly more digestible. I won't get into it because not retro, but if you have a 3DS, DS, or PS2 you have a ton of options. I would recommend the DS/3DS entries over the one PS2 game almost everyone will tell you to play but that's just me. Feel free to join us over at /smtg/ too, though it might be a little overwhelming if you're not familiar with the series. We're friendly to newcomers and you'll almost always get answers to your questions amidst the noise.

OK here's the deal, if you want first person dungeon crawling that's modern while still feeling 'right', play Strange Journey on the DS, it's fantastic. Soul Hackers on the 3DS is technically retro, and is also great (and shorter), if mechanically subpar compared to Strange Journey.
>>
>>3964545
You couldn't pick a worse Megaten game to 'get into' Megaten with.
>>
>>3964563
I dunno, SMT1 is good and all but it's a bit harsh in some aspects, I think SMT3 is more balanced and presentable to newcomers. Strange Journey could be a good starting option, too.

Also, not wanting to generate flamewar or anything but Persona 3 is also a good starting point if you don't mind (or even personally like) "weebstuff".
>>
>>3964583
I agree about SJ. That and the 3DS Mainline game(s) are the 'easiest' entry-point(s) in my opinion.

flamewar: Persona 3 isn't actually an SMT game
>>
>>3963752
SMT1 and MT1 are dif games (not that you're wrong)
>>
File: if crop.jpg (10KB, 124x58px) Image search: [Google]
if crop.jpg
10KB, 124x58px
>>3964373
>Is it necessary to play one to understand the rest of the series or is there an even better place to start?

Read this before you play MT1
https://ddsdork.wordpress.com/digital-devil-story-novels/

Play MT1 before 2, this is easy since you need to do so in KMT

Play Persona 1 before 2, for 2 play IS before EP

Maybe play Persona 3 before 4, and all the 4 shit is linked

SMT4 and whatever the second one is called (Final? Apocalypse?) are linked, so play them in order.

I don't know enough about the handheld games, but I think they're linked too (Bible and Demikids, Demi less so?)

Raidou games are linked, play them in order. DDS is in order.

I guess most shit you should play in order, but with mainline and Persona you have a bit more freedom.

>>3964504
>>
>>3963941
But this pic indicates you already have one of these guys. If anything, you might have gotten some macca from them.
>>
>>3964545
I'd say Strange Journey is the best starting point, despite being a highly overrated game. Nocturne should be played after since it makes many changes to the SMT formula.
>>
File: Hoy there.png (92KB, 240x240px) Image search: [Google]
Hoy there.png
92KB, 240x240px
>>3964556
>/smtg/
>friendly to newcomers
what are you trying to do, anon?
>>
File: 1493239680573.jpg (84KB, 538x492px) Image search: [Google]
1493239680573.jpg
84KB, 538x492px
>>3964939
hoy sorry, but if an earnest anon wants to talk about first person megatens and not persona, why not invite them over to hang. should have said /smtg/ we're friendly to the right kinds of newcomers. it's hard to talk about megaten without venturing into not retro territory anyway, hence the copious spoiler tags.
>>
>>3964939
they were pretty cool with me when i was posting shit from my first playthrough of smt1.
>>
>>3965113
>>3965080
I usually see them call people Personafags and telling them to go back to /pg/. Suppose that's because a lot of people get into it through persona.
>>
>>3959118
>>3959356
>>3959467
You talk like you know a lot but in reality you're so full of shit.
>>
File: Kmtmedusaart.jpg (441KB, 939x1143px) Image search: [Google]
Kmtmedusaart.jpg
441KB, 939x1143px
I was redirected here. How do I beat Medusa?
>>
>>3965257
I beg your pardon? It's my personal experience from playing the game.

>>3965626
Most of the bosses have some kind of weakness you can learn by exploring the dungeons. Some can be defeated without exploiting that weakness.
>>
>>3965626
Find Tabasa's Statue before facing her. It'll protect you from her petrification attack.
>>
>>3965626
most bosses in MT1 can be summed up as this:
>find item that weakens them
>attack and heal
they're really not difficult
>>
>>3964732
Strange Journey goes on to long. I think Nocturne is the best entry into the series. Despite it being legendary for its difficulty, I think it's the game least likely to burn out players
>>
>>3967204
>legendary for its difficulty
Casuals like Nocturne, got it.
>>
>>3967204
On HLTB Strange Journey is only a few hours longer, I never even finished Nocturne. Also, I think SJ is much more in line with retro sensibilities, more reminiscent of the two original games, just a little something for /vr/.

Also tell all your friends to boycott the new port.

And then kill them.
>>
Hey folks, making my way through P4 but would like to get into the rest of the SMT games. No idea where to start. I have a PS2/3 and a 3DS so I can play one of the notretro ones if that's a recommended starting point.
>>
>>3967553
I'm not boycotting nothing and killing no one
>>
>>3969403
Nocturne is a good place to start. I'm slated to get back into SMT4 after I'm done Raidou but I hear SMT4 is not an ideal SMT experience.
>>
>>3969403
>>3969437
not retro fuck off
>>
>>3969428
>I'm not boycotting nothing and killing no one

Then fuck off, casual.
>>
>>3970361
No, staying right here
>>
>>3969403
If you want to go retro, then read two translated Digital Devil Story novels (it can be done in one evening) and then play either Kyuuyaku Megami Tensei that continues from the end of second book, or Shin Megami Tensei that is a new story.
If you want not /vr/, then play Stranje Journey, Devil Survivor Overclocked, Nocturne, Digital Devil Saga. Actually, almost every game is a good starting point if it is not a direct sequel to something that came before.
Thread posts: 67
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.