[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I recently start playing Retro Games, any suggestions?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 9

File: images.png (2KB, 299x168px) Image search: [Google]
images.png
2KB, 299x168px
I recently start playing Retro Games, any suggestions?
>>
>>3958731
Start with the classics/most known stuff, after some experience you can try to reach less known games, the so called "hidden gems".
>>
File: Screenshot_20170417-013435.png (1002KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170417-013435.png
1002KB, 1920x1080px
>>3958731
Wild Arms
>>
>>3958778
>Kys underage faggot

Go back to /v/, friend.

>>3958731
Start with some well-known NES titles of different genres.

Super Mario Bros., The Legend of Zelda, and Metroid, for example.
>>
>>3958731
Have fun

it's a ride
>>
>>3958792
I actualy play those, bit thanks for the suggest :)
>>
>>3958731
Don't waste your money on physical systems, games or CRTs unless you really want to get into collecting. Just enjoy the games themselves.
>>
what genres do you enjoy nigglet
>>
>>3958834
Nah I dont want to collect, only enjoy the games
>>
>>3958834
As someone who regularly plays a bunch of physical retro consoles on a CRT, I agree.
While playing the games on the original hardware does have its charms, you're not really missing out on that much by connecting your PC to your TV instead.
I do recommend that you turn on low pass audio filtering on most emulators though. Some retro games should not be experienced without a low-pass filter, i.e. Thunder Force IV has a godly soundtrack, but it will ruin your ears unless you filter out the high frequencies.
>>
>>3958854
>>3958843
>>3958834
T. Casuals
Just get yourself a sega genesis. A 6 pak and pick up a tv off craigslist
>>
File: P10706811.jpg (530KB, 2002x1502px)
P10706811.jpg
530KB, 2002x1502px
>>3958862
You can do what you want, but not everyone likes CRTs.
>>
>>3958754
Looks like golden sun on gba. Is it very similar?
>>
>>3958875
I have no problem with the LCD but what in God'a name is that controller?
>>
>>3958862
Im obviusly a casual player right now, thats why Im asking ;)
>>
>>3958907
You will 100% get more enjoyment from the proper setup
Emufags dont even beat the games
>>
>>3958921

Hey man, like, fuck you. 'kay?

t.emufag
>>
>>3958935
If I am starting, wich emulators do you recommend me? I never played on an emulator, since I start gaming, I have played always in PC. So I dont know too much about emulators, if you or anyone could help me.
>>
>>3958921
So much this.
>>
>>3958897
It's a Madkatz brawlpad. Surprisingly decent controller given they used to only make hot trash. I just took mine apart and sanded the wrestlers off so I didn't have to look at them.
>>
>>3958921
100% tryhard trolling.
>>
>>3958885
Haven't played Golden Sun but I don't think so
it's a pretty standard jrpg with your gun, sword, and magic party member
the world and story is this wild n crazy mix of like, cowboys and aliens and giant robo, sprinkled with references to lovecraft and tokusatsu
i like it
>>
>>3958953

That depends. What are your computing resources, first of all? Is your machine recent and up to spec?
>>
>>3958960

Low-energy bait. Sad! I thought you were a smarter cookie than this, Anon.
>>
Play M.A.M.E. shit. and Sega games. You literally can stay away from Nintendo. They haven't made anything good since SMB3.
>>
>>3958997
Why put energy when low effort bait does the job just the same?
>>
File: spicy meatball.jpg (38KB, 587x342px)
spicy meatball.jpg
38KB, 587x342px
>>3958921
I mean like

there is no reason not to finish a game on the emulator but I never have
and you're not required to cheat with save states and such but I always have

on the actual hardware it somehow feels more genuine and fun and I can't tell if that's me fooling myself or something real

it's probably a personality thing but I cannot be unique in this

I'm reminded of people who could easily and cheaply work out at home but choose to pay for a gym membership anyway so they actually do it
still get emus dude, not like you're gonna wanna dip your toe in the water and realize you actually fucking hate pixels after spending 500+ dollars on hardware

play ff6 and plok they're good
>>
File: genesis.jpg (60KB, 614x384px)
genesis.jpg
60KB, 614x384px
>>3959075
>$500
my recommended setup is $50 tops
>>
>>3959083
and I did not imply otherwise

it was an exaggeration of an unfortunate situation
>>
>>3958976
>not wanting Hulk Hogan on your controller
>>
>>3959075

It's totally a personality thing. You cannot resist fucking with knobs and dials you've no reason to, pure and simple. Would that you could simply focus on playing the goddamn game, that shouldn't be a problem anymore.

To me, I own a game if I have its ROM/Disc Image. There is no difference in my mind as surely as if I held the media in my hands.
>>
>>3959075
You're always inclined to give up and use savestates on emulators than you would give up playing on real hardware. Even when you know the challenge is perfectly up to your skill level too

Basically savestates makes us incredibly lazy.
>>
>>3959123

I never touch the the things unless it's no save or password-only save.
>>
do you like horror?

do you prefer emulation?

because I could throw a couple titles your way if you like horror, but some of them are absurdly expensive or pal/jp only
>>
>>3959314
Not OP, but I'm interested in what you have to say
>>
Sell kidneys and head to ebay
>>
>>3959328
for pal/jp-only you've got:
Chaos Break, a weird mixture of dino crisis/resident evil/and metal gear door bullshit, still a neat game but also a bit expensive
Deep Fear, sega's ripoff of RE, absurdly expensive, saturn only
Hellnight, also expensive, first person spookery adventure

for non pal/jp games there's:
Countdown Vampires, arguably the most competent PS1 RE ripoff
OverBlood, more atmospheric than horror but there are a couple monsters you have to fight
Echo night series for more first person spookery
Tecmo's Deception/kagero series, which is more of a tower defense/torture simulator but still relatively horror
to some extent the King's Field games
X-Com games are definitely horror, but I doubt there's anything the PS1 versions have to offer over the PC versions other than being an interesting display
Dino Crisis and Resident Evil, and Parasite Eve series obviously
Koudelka is a horror JRPG with unique turn-based combat, also the first in the Shadow Hearts series
Fear Effects have some horror in them
Tomb Raiders as well
Fade to Black is also a game, but it's not too great
there's also Carrier, The Ring, and Blue Stinger for dreamcast
Illbleed's another dreamcast game but it's also real expensive

for everything else there's games like the D series, Dark Seed series, and
>>
>>3958953
snes9x is fine
>>
>>3958993
And an awesome theme. Don't forget the theme.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajMRQnhQ9zU
>>
>>3959365
Thank you, horroranon, there are some things I don't know here I will be spending the week playing.
>>
Start with games for the more popular early systems, like the C64, Spectrum, and Master System.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.