[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Size Matters on the Dpad

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 17

File: size matters.jpg (434KB, 2003x1183px) Image search: [Google]
size matters.jpg
434KB, 2003x1183px
When playing Street Fighter 2 i noticed i can play way better with a bigger Dpad. I am searching for the biggest Dpad i can connect via bluetooth or usb (using an adapter) to use with any emulator of my choice.

I never took the time to actually measure the size of the Dpad to know for certain.

Now i shall take my trusty calipers and measure all the dpads i have (see picture). I measure the distance from left edge to right edge of the dpad and i measure the diameters of the facebuttons. Those i prefer to be big too.

Results will be here in ~10 minutes.
>>
File: size matters results.jpg (515KB, 2003x1183px) Image search: [Google]
size matters results.jpg
515KB, 2003x1183px
Results are in!

I wish the
N64, Gamecube and Switch Pro would make a baby.
>>
Why not play with an arcade stick?
>>
File: Score Master.jpg (32KB, 500x305px) Image search: [Google]
Score Master.jpg
32KB, 500x305px
>>3958245

I tried using snes score master (if you even consider this an arcade sticks) and i couldn't even shoryuken rtight. The Stick was way too hard to move and i was scared breaking it if i used it too forcefully.

-I do prefer grabbing a controller over hovering my hands over a stick and buttons
-Strong thumbs
-I am very very very used to good Dpads
-Never really used/felt a good one
>>
>>3958245
This. Sometimes you absolutely need to be using an arcade stick (Zangief's spinning piledriver)
>>
>>3958257
>>3958258
3rd party sticks are garbage. Unless it's got microswitches it's shit. Period.

Buttons in these and teh Advantage stick like crazy, and the sticks are mushy as hell.
>>
File: Mc Dreamy.png (1MB, 2488x784px) Image search: [Google]
Mc Dreamy.png
1MB, 2488x784px
Controller of my dreams. Please make it happen Monsanto.
>>
File: HORI-Fighting-Stick-Mini-4-2.jpg (108KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
HORI-Fighting-Stick-Mini-4-2.jpg
108KB, 1500x1500px
>>3958261

would you recommend a hori mini? They do intrigue me for being inexpensive and small.
>>
>>3958276
I found one of those for about 10 bucks at my local second-hand store.
I love it for MAME, the stick itself has nice and clicky microswitches, but the buttons are regular membrane type buttons.
It's too small and light to keep in your lap, however, so you'll need a surface to keep it on, especially if you're playing fighting games. The stick is also very loud, if that's an issue.
Make sure you get the PS4 version, I've heard the earlier models were pretty bad.
>>
File: 1489305176971.gif (1MB, 392x400px) Image search: [Google]
1489305176971.gif
1MB, 392x400px
>>3958292

Just ordered one. OBVIOUSLY i don't own enough controllers. I guess it will be a good model for beginning to use a stick. Found one for 21€ new.
>>
File: Radiohead Pepe.webm (2MB, 534x360px) Image search: [Google]
Radiohead Pepe.webm
2MB, 534x360px
>Right to left
>>
File: Fighting Commander.jpg (52KB, 1000x600px) Image search: [Google]
Fighting Commander.jpg
52KB, 1000x600px
Hori Fighting Commander (PS4 & PC, DirectInput/Xinput toggle switch) has a 2.2cm dpad that feels great.
My preferred pad these days.
>>
>>3958309
oh works on PS3 also
>>
>>3958309
6 facebottons +4 shoulder buttons do sound nice

i wish the dpad on this thing was a bit bigger. i doubt it will perform better than my trusty N64 Controller + Mayflash USB adapter combo
>>
File: ดาวน์โหลด.jpg (4KB, 170x144px) Image search: [Google]
ดาวน์โหลด.jpg
4KB, 170x144px
capcom fighting stick is best controller to play street fighter.
I used to play Nes Snes and use convener to play on 3do ps1.
I can'n understand why capcom not reproduce it in every GEN
this best design to put down 2 hand and dance all finger.
>>
n64 dpad is absolute dog shit
>>
>>3958327
there is one for NES/SNES new and boxed for ~60€ on ebay
>>
File: Round 2.jpg (457KB, 1968x1092px) Image search: [Google]
Round 2.jpg
457KB, 1968x1092px
>>
I just had a major breakthrough in theoretical Controller science. I like a >2cm Dpad more because that is roughly how wide my thumb is and when i rock it from side to side it can rest in the left or right position without being slightly uncomfortable until slightly repositioned while holding it down.

I think oversized Dpad is way less uncomfortable than undersized Dpad. Maybe i can build a big dpad myself... i just don't know how.

Or maybe i can create some kind of Hat that can be put on a tiny Dpad to make it bigger while using the existing triggering mechanism.
>>
>>3959069

Umm.....

It's already been thought of. Sorry. :/
>>
>>3958272
I think you have fat fuckin fingers
>>
File: dreamcast-controller-1vcm.jpg (162KB, 610x650px) Image search: [Google]
dreamcast-controller-1vcm.jpg
162KB, 610x650px
>>3958227
The Dreamcast pad is unironically my favorite d-pad of all time and it's size is definitely a part of that. For me it's that it's tiny so everything seem to come out faster on it. I liked it so much in the early days I made a Frankenstein 360 controller once with a DC pad in place of the stock one. It was surprisingly decent.

So yes, size and shape totally makes a difference. Experiment till you find what's best for you. Some people love the Playstation type pad, I think it's the worst. We're all a bit different.
>>
>this thread
>this amount of autism
>not a single MK-80116 found

wat
>>
>>3958258
>>3958258
Not true, by the way. Stick is slightly better, so if someone was starting new it would be a good rout to go. But anything can work so long as you build the memory for it.
>>
>>3959104

>NOOOOOO STAHP ENJOYING THINGS!!!!
>>
>>3959095
I don't mind the dreamcast d-pad, but I absolutely hate its placement on the controller. It always felt like it was too low on the controller's face, making it hard to reach from the analog stick
>>
>>3959046
og ds for best dpad
>>
>>3958304
You won't regret it, I have a Hori Mini and it's a great little spare stick. If you find you want a little bit of size increase (and I did after months with just the Mini), I would recommend any of the universal Mayflash sticks. They aren't very good sticks by themselves but it will give you a solid box with full-sized button holes that you can then put your own buttons/stick/pcb into for pretty cheap
>>
File: baby fedora.jpg (251KB, 533x800px) Image search: [Google]
baby fedora.jpg
251KB, 533x800px
>>3958261
>baby tips fedora
Top kek kid. There are no good first party sticks. There are many high quality 3rd party sticks that use actual arcade parts. You're literally retarded. Literally.
>>
>no one has posted the genesis pad

best console pad ever made for SF desu. the 3 button has a slightly better D-pad but you'll want the 6 button for SF for obvious reasons.
>>
>>3960016
>There are no good first party sticks.
There are practically no first-party sticks period, aside from the NES Advantage (which was just a remodeled Ascii Stick) and a few Sega sticks.
>>
File: genesis_3btn_1.jpg (91KB, 1026x741px) Image search: [Google]
genesis_3btn_1.jpg
91KB, 1026x741px
>>3960089

>the beautiful, full-figured, flawless fucking d-pad of the 3-button genesis controller

why does nothing else even come close
>>
>>3958272
the n64 dpad is awful compared to the switch pro controller though
>>
>>3959589
amen anon
>>
File: Based.jpg (358KB, 1138x692px) Image search: [Google]
Based.jpg
358KB, 1138x692px
>>3960089
>>3960123
This is the only controller worth a damn
>>
>>3960189
>circle rocker dpad
That thing is trash... along with every other controller that doesn't define directions properly.
>>
>>3960096
The HSS-0130 is god tier champ
>>
>>3958276
it's bretty good, its a nice cheap stick
>>
>>3960214
No, just no.
>>
File: 3kj4iDZv.jpg (99KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
3kj4iDZv.jpg
99KB, 1024x1024px
>>3960214
You're not implying that a Nintendo style D-Pad defines directions properly, are you?
>>
>>3960864
it defines up down left and right, which are the only true directions
>>
>>3959589
i had no idea how compfy it was. i started with the ds lite and then later bought a used ds phat for fun and never once used it. until now!

i loaded up a flashcard with a couple of games that don't use touch input that often and feels guuude in the hand. also i like how clunky it is.
>>
>>3960868
Off your meds again?
>>
>>3959095
I hate that damn thing. It's weird how love/hate the DC controller seems to be.
>>
>>3959570
I'm fine with the D-pad placement, it's the analog stick I don't think is positioned well. I mostly used it for fighters though so the analog stick wasn't much of an issue.

>>3962457
Aside from the D-pad I don't love it. It's big and clunky, the UMD just gets in the way and the triggers kinda suck. But just for that D-pad I love it.
>>
Vita has a terrific dpad, Sony is idiotic for not putting it on the Dualshock
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.