[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Great Turbografx/PC- Engine and Turbo CD games I can get off

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

File: PC-Engine-star.jpg (72KB, 598x448px) Image search: [Google]
PC-Engine-star.jpg
72KB, 598x448px
I have six games for the Turbografx and Turbo CD altogether. Castlevania: Rondo of Blood, Star Parodier, Ys Book I & II, Detana Twinbee, Bomberman 94, and Soldier Blade. Aside from Detana Twinbee, these games are pretty much the pinnacle of the Turbo VC library from what I have read.

Are there any other great titles for the Turbografx and Turbo CD I need to play?

I know about the Bonk trilogy, but it does not seem to be anything exceptional compared to the likes of NES Mario trilogy, Super Mario World, the Genesis Sonic games, the retro Kirby titles, the DKC trilogy, or Yoshi's Island. Doremi Fantasy seemed to be a more remarkable platformer than Bonk (its really a hidden gem).

I suck at shmups (though I really enjoyed Star Parodier and Soldier Blade), so that possibly writes off significant parts of the Turbo library.
>>
I mean Doremi Fantasy is a more remarkable platformer from Hudson than the Turbo Bonk trilogy.
>>
You should try Blazing Lazers. Very accessible and fun shmup.
>>
>>3957196
You should play Bonk's Revenge, I think that game alone holds up to the other platformers you listed.

You should try Air Zonk as it's not a hard shooter and it's wacky like Star Parodier.
>>
>>3957285
What is it about Bonk's Revenge that makes it great?
>>
>>3957229
Soldier Blade is the culmination of the Star Soldier series. Yes I know Blazing Lazers is by Compile, but the Star Soldier trilogy on the Turbo followed Blazing Lazers' formula.
>>
>>3957438
Not the same guy but Bonk 2 is one of my favorites, regardless of console

>above average graphics for the console
>extremely vibrant colors
>intricate level design
>fantastic bonus levels
>tons of points collectibles
>meat powerup
>secret items
>excellent enemy variety
>mini bosses
>atmospheric but catchy soundtrack
>low difficulty (good if you suck at games)
>endless replay ability for secrets and maximizing high score
>sing a long credits (Japanese version)

Bonk 1 is solid but not as strong, and Bonk 3 is uninspired
>>
>>3957196
Based on what you like, I'll recommend

>mr heli
>bomberman 93
>parasol stars
>Ys book IV
>new adventure island
>liquid kids
>Bonk 2
>salamander
>outrun
>>
>>3957845
Most of those are inferior ports.
>>
>>3957845
Any CD titles you would recommend?
>>
>>3957753

Blazing Lazers is more relaxing and has better music imo.
>>
>>3957196
>Wanted to get Star Parodier on VC
>They took it down years ago

Try Lords Of Thunder.
>>
>>3958080

>river city ransom
>tenchi wo kurau
>lords of thunder
>gate of thunder
>legend of Xanadu 2
>rainbow islands

I don't know the cd platform too well
>>
>>3958268
The sad thing is I think it was only removed due to the hidden ecchi bonus stage. The game was de- listed from the Virtual Console but not actually delisted (meaning people who originally downloaded it can still get it). Some Virtual Console games have been totally removed such as Yoshi's Cookie.

Here is the ecchi bonus stage for anyone that is curious:
https://youtu.be/FE5rPCTLygs
>>
if you hate shmups and ports then sadly the only worthwhile games for the pce are Rondo and Gekisha Boy.

bonk has shit mechanics
>>
Star Parodier is very mediocre anyway.
>>
>>3959154
Star Parodier is the Super Mario RPG of shmups. Its a good entry title for those being introduced to the genre.
>>
>>3959146
I hear conflicting things about Bonk. Bonk at least seems to have charm and humor to it. Alex Kidd seems to be like poorly aging shit that only Eurofags think fondly of because they never played decent platformers growing up.

Bonk does not have that nostalgia dimension going for it since the PC- Engine was a niche console everywhere outside Japan.
>>
>>3959557
Bonk is also on Arcade and SNES so you could just play those versions.
>>
>>3959558
I mean Bonk does not have nostalgia going for it as to why people say it is great. It was always niche.

Alex Kidd seems to have people supporting in British accents and saying it looks much better than "Mario".

Has Bonk also not aged well?
>>
>>3959616
Well, games don't age, so no.
>>
>>3959625
So Alex Kidd was always shit.
>>
File: 34672-ZONK.jpg (18KB, 550x330px)
34672-ZONK.jpg
18KB, 550x330px
>>3959558
Arcade Bonk is not a good representation of the other games in the series, since it's way different. Super Bonk is bad, but Super Bonk 2 is okay.
>>
>>3959636
Alex Kidd is fine wth
>>
>>3959976
Its got wonky controls and clunky gameplay.
>>
>>3959616
The bonk series is inconsistent in quality

Bonk 2 is amazing, super Bonk 2 is excellent, and everything else ranges from good to shit
>>
>>3959843
How are the Bonk trilogy in your opinion? What are your opinions on each game?
>>
File: pcgenjin2.jpg (106KB, 640x639px)
pcgenjin2.jpg
106KB, 640x639px
>>3960038
Adventure is an average game that has some neat ideas but somewhat unremarkable. Still, I'd say it's still worth a try. Nice music also.
Revenge is a major improvement and the best in the series. Plays much better and all the levels are all varied and fun. Very colorful and has nice music which sets the cheerful tone well for the game. If you're gonna play only one Bonk game, make it this one.
3 somehow manages to be worse than the first two. Reuses many assets from the previous game which makes it feel uninspired. Levels are way weaker than the one's in Revenge, many having the stupid candy gimmick that doesn't really add to the game. If there's one thing to praise it for, it has a two-player co-op mode... but a lot of the levels weren't designed with that in mind, so it ends up being a mess.

Overall: Revenge > Adventure >>>> 3
>>
How are the Neutopia games? I heard they are pretty flawed Zelda clones.
>>
>>3960229
You like really long passwords?
>>
Do they have Snatcher on Virtual Console? R-Type and Ninja Spirit were great Irem ports. Naxat's Alien / Devil's Crush were pretty fun too.
>>
>>3960229
Completely average. The dungeons are also pretty bad (endless wall and block puzzles, no variation)

Play games like the Ys games or Xanadu games, those are top notch
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.