[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sega Saturn wont read cd-rs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 11

File: 1492355201405.jpg (75KB, 448x545px) Image search: [Google]
1492355201405.jpg
75KB, 448x545px
Got a saturn with an action replay cart modded with psuedo saturn, but the fucker wont spin up at all if i have a cd-r in it. I know the saturn's not completely done for because it'll read actual saturn games completely fine. Any ideas?
>>
>>3956559
did it ever?
>>
>>3956563
Yeah, it's just given up though.
>>
I've tried fucking with the orange screw on the back that controls the laser, but its hasnt done anything. The closest I've gotten is getting it to spin up a bit, but then it stops
>>
burn your games slower or get a better CD drive.
>>
File: 1492350101611.jpg (23KB, 410x410px) Image search: [Google]
1492350101611.jpg
23KB, 410x410px
>>3956576
Computer wont burn anything slower than x10 and the cd-rs did work for a while. Looks like the cd drives on the way out
>>
>>3956580
>Computer wont burn anything slower than x10
Don't be a retard and use a good burning tool like ImgBurn or something.
>>
>>3956575
Which way did you turn the orange screw? Mines having the same issue with cdrs now.
>>
>>3956602
I'm using ImgBurn
>>
>>3956603
I've tried turning it both ways, same result. If I turn it all the way to the left or right it wont read real games or cd-rs, only way I can get it to run anything is to keep it in the middle
>>
>>3956605
The it should allow you to override burning speed to the 1x on literally everything.
>>
>>3956608
It says "The drive only supports writing these discs at 10x."
>>
>>3956610
Try going to Tools>Automatic Write Speed>Device
and see if you can force it there. Unfortunately I'm on a laptop with no drive so I can't help you more.
>>
>>3956608
Nah, a lot of shitty recorders literally will not allow you to go under 10x.
>>
>>3956614
>>3956621
Yeah, didn't work
>>
It's a model 2 saturn, if that helps at all
>>
>>3956580
Never burn slow, it's a meme of the worst type. CD-Rs are made for fast burning, going any slower than half their maximum rated speed will result in shit quality burns that may be hard to read and will have shorter lifespans.

Do 32x at the very slowest, it is not 1998 anymore.
>>
>>3957574
>it's a meme of the worst type

You're a retard. You have to burn at slower speeds to avoid data displacement or corruption as a result of disc wobble. Go right ahead and try burning a PS1 game at maximum speed on quality media, and see if any chipped console can even boot it. And if it does boot, you're going to have random lockups and stuttering audio / FMVs.
>>
File: 71-4KbEPLjS._SL1500_.jpg (132KB, 1500x1022px) Image search: [Google]
71-4KbEPLjS._SL1500_.jpg
132KB, 1500x1022px
>>3956559
Get AZO dye blanks.
>>
>>3957589
ps1 is a piece of shit though. my saturn is backup reading king and reads anything i throw at it.
>>
>>3957632

Amazon stopped selling these recently, the cunts.
>>
>>3957589

Literally technobabble.
>>
>>3957589
my psone handles 52x burned discs just fine. Going a decade strong.
>>
>>3957589
>im a retard
FTFYK. I burn everything at max speed and it works fine. I have no problem with any of my PS1s
>>
>>3959929
obviously the newest variation of the console has the best laser.
>>
Any luck yet OP?
>>
>>3959929
>>3960004
This. Stop pushing the slowest speed meme.
>>
File: 1491695048005.jpg (42KB, 320x295px) Image search: [Google]
1491695048005.jpg
42KB, 320x295px
Op, there are actually 3 screws you can mess around in the lens.

From what i understood, the orange one controls the lens focus and you should move it in very small intervals at a time, first because you can burn the damn thing, and second because the interval in which it will actually work is very small.

One of the other two screws controls rotation speed, again, neither too much slow nor too much fast.

The last screw is hard to explain, it moves the whole thing. For example, the cd starts at mm10 and ends at mm20. But the laser starts to scan at mm8, so you gotta move that screw untill the laser starts at mm10.

Unfortunatly i no longer remember whiwh screw is which but ill tell you this:

It took me 3 days and 6 packs of smokes to finnally make it work, so just dont give up
>>
>>3961460
Forgot to mention:

Start with the screw that controls rotation speed untill you get long intervals in which the saturn tries to boot then the cd stops.

Then the saturn should try to boot, start rotating at different speeds for like 10 seconds, then stops.

Second its the screw that moves the whole thing, when you get the disc to rotate at a constant speed even if you just got it once, stop moving that screw.

Finnaly the orange screw, move it in very small intervals untill you get a consistent boot rate.

Nothing else i can remember really. Godspeed
>>
>>3956559
I just gave up the Saturn, replace the lens twice and it even wont read official games, bought a model 1 Genesis with a flashcart, playing Beyond Oasis and I'm having a blast!

Maybe I will buy it again when a storage media solution will be avaliable
>>
>>3961314
Nope
>>
>>3961460
Cheers man, will look into it tomorrow
>>
>>3956636

Get an external usb cd drive and do it that way. I did it for my saturn discs, works great.

Though you should have probably done that in the first place. It sounds like you knew this would be an issue
>>
>>3961857
I have 8 saturns and they all read discs fine. Probably because I didn't let a child open them up and fuck with them.
>>
I burn games at whatever ImgBurn lists as the lowest supported write speed, which is usually 2.4x or 3x for my discs. Never messed up for me as far as I know.
>>
>>3961460
Are these the 2 screws you were referring to?
>>
Shot in the dark here but the brand of cd-rs I'm using are Maxell, any of you know if they're just a bad brand?
>>
>>3963856
It shouldn't make such a difference that the Saturn won't recognize it.
>>
File: WP_20170502_19_41_46_Pro.jpg (2MB, 3264x1840px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20170502_19_41_46_Pro.jpg
2MB, 3264x1840px
>>3963849
In mine, the black one is in a different place, but yeah those are it

Keep always in mind where the screw was at the beguinning so you can reset if you feel you went too far
>>
>>3964061
Is the small one the one that controls rotation speed?
>>
>>3964153
its either the black one or the white one, after you turn it you can tell
>>
File: 1492438796872.jpg (64KB, 620x475px) Image search: [Google]
1492438796872.jpg
64KB, 620x475px
The fucking video output is messing up now as well. Might just throw in the towel and see if I can get a saturn cheap somewhere
>>
>>3961460
I salute you for suffering through that for the sake of saving your Saturn.
>>
Sounds like your Pseudo Saturn cart is bricked.
My one used to play backups fine, but for whatever reason one day it decided it never wanted to even bother spinning up CD-R's. Would read real discs just fine though. I bought another Pseudo Saturn cart and it works perfectly, so then I tried to reflash my original psuedo saturn card with the latest firmware that only just came out less than a week ago and now that cart works perfectly.

TL;DR: Do swap trick and flash your cart with the latest Pseudo Saturn firmware
>>
I hope you can resurrect your Saturn, OP.
>>
>>3966268
Thanks bud
>>
>>3966208
I have it flashed to Psuedo Saturn Kai, which is the latest version as far as I'm aware
>>
>>3966208
Wait, less than a week ago? Can you link a download?
>>
>>3966208
Nvm forgot the cd-rs still wont spin up even if I try to do the swap trick
>>
File: 1492960197425.jpg (11KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
1492960197425.jpg
11KB, 256x256px
I just wanted to play some Tempest 2000, I didn't fucking ask for this
>>
The Saturn is now saying "Disc unsuitable for this system" as opposed to not picking up that there was anything in the disc tray at all. Small progress I guess
>>
File: sonic facepalm.jpg (50KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
sonic facepalm.jpg
50KB, 1280x720px
>>3967297
Try burning an image from the same region as your console
>>
>>3967816
I fucking am
>>
>>3967297
If the tray spins before giving you that warning, it means the saturn recognozes theres a disc in it but it cant read anything.

Try messing with the orange (lens focus) now
>>
>>3968549
The tray isn't spinning up no matter how much I fuck with the screw
>>
UPDATE: IT IS STARTING TO SPIN UP. Still not reading, but this is more progress than I've made in the last 2 weeks
>>
It'll spin it up certain games a little and not spin others at all. So far it's span Wipeout 2097 and Panzer Dragoon but not House of the Dead
>>
Keep trying, OP. Saturn owners have a special place in my heart. The hardware is so finicky that sometimes is nothing short of being plain black magic. Glad to know you are making progress. Keep us posted sir.
>>
>>3968940
Will do
>>
File: WP_20161206_21_29_22_Pro.jpg (2MB, 3264x1840px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20161206_21_29_22_Pro.jpg
2MB, 3264x1840px
>>3968940
If it tries to spin, you should move on to the other screw that moves the whole thing.

For the record, which one was the screw that controlled rotation speed? The white one or the black one?
>>
>>3968995
The white one, I think. To be honest it didn't make enough of a difference for me to really notice
>>
I'm gonna see about getting a different brand of cd-rs and seeing if it makes a difference at all, now that the saturns actually kind of recognising that theres something there.
>>
File: segata_sanshiro.png (547KB, 705x473px) Image search: [Google]
segata_sanshiro.png
547KB, 705x473px
>>3968926
Do it for him,OP.
>>
OP, your tray needs to be adjusted. It's either too high up or too low, and the laser can't focus properly.

>>3957589
>You have to burn at slower speeds to avoid data displacement or corruption as a result of disc wobble.

This is true only if you use 4x media on a 1999 drive.

Modern drives and modern discs are both calibrated to burn at a high speed. If you burn at a slower speed on a modern cd, the burner may assume that you are trying to burn an older type disc, that used a different dye, and required different laser calibration - this mismatch will cause you fucked burns. This is the reason why most modern drives won't allow you to burn slower than a certain speed.

The best result IMO is to take the middle road, ie. don't burn at slowest, but don't burn at highest either. Pick one of the middle options.

>Go right ahead and try burning a PS1 game

PS1 has a legendarily bad cd drive. I wouldn't consider it any benchmark of "how to burn".
>>
>>3967816
>Try burning an image from the same region as your console

"Disc unsuitable... " means the drive is seeing a data track that isn't a Saturn game.

"GAME Disc unsuitable..." is the error that means the game is the wrong region.
>>
also, imgburn is a joke for burning console games. Use Nero or CloneCD instead.
>>
>>3969069
Tried adjusting the tray, now it won't spin up the cd-rs again
>>
>>3969154
adjust it back.

You need both the tray and the orange pot on the laser adjusted correctly.
>>
stupid question OP, but did you try cleaning the laser with a qtip and alcohol?
>>
>>3970225
No, I actually haven't. What kind does it have to be?
>>
>>3971496
Pabst Blue Ribbon works a treat
>>
LADS IT WORKING. IT WAS JUST THE BRAND OF THE CD-R THAT WAS SHIT
>>
>>3971546
good now go fuck yourself
>>
>>3956559

Anons, is there a way to save games when using Psuedo Saturn with the action replay cart? I'd rather do that than use a mod chip but no point in going the psuedo route if saves aren't possible.
>>
>>3956576

This is the biggest meme. My PS1 is able to read 48x speed burnt CDs (no name garbage brand) easily. Just adjust the potentiometer and you're good (like I did).

I feel sorry for taioyo yuden cucks that buy ancient CD burners to burn their $50 10-pack at 10x speed.
>>
>>3972257
Its's hit and miss, in my experience some games will save but others wont
>>
>>3972276

Yuck. I'll just get a fucking modchip then I guess.
>>
>>3972306
It's still probably a better option than a modchip though. The only game I can think of off the top of my head that couldn't save was Die Hard Trilogy
>>
Small update, the saturn stopped reading the cd-rs again for a while, I'm after cleaning the laser with a q-tip and it seems to be up and running again
>>
>>3972257
My experience with the AR cart for saving wasn't good, one day all the saves got deleted. So, it's not different than using an internal battery on your Saturn that might one day stop working too.
The best solution for me was buying an official memory cart and a watch battery to use the internal Saturn memory. That way I use the AR cart for pseudo and extra RAM, the internal battery for saving, and I store all the save data on the official cart every once in a while in case the internal battery stops working.
Watch batteries only cost like $1, so it's not a big deal having to replace them, only problem is losing the data.
>>
>>3973730
that battery in the back of the saturn is for the intenal saves right? do you need a specific battery or is any good? mine has stopped working
>>
>>3974046
Yes, you can easily take it out of the back of the console.
You need to buy a CR2032 3V battery, you can read it on the battery you take out to replace it.
It's a rather common battery mainly used for wrist watches.
Thread posts: 82
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.