[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do beat em'ups always gotta have cheap bullshit bosses?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 6

File: RetroArch-0429-130617.png (24KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
RetroArch-0429-130617.png
24KB, 1024x768px
Why do beat em'ups always gotta have cheap bullshit bosses?
>>
They are simple games, so they make up for their shallowness by making boss fights really difficult.
>>
>>3955948
some do but mostly it' more about figuring a strategy which often isn't obvious at all. to answer your question though it is of course to kick normies off machines and require more coin input.
>>
Final Fight 2 had easier bosses and that turned out like shit. Except for the Rolento fight, that was fun.
>>
>>3955948
Because you can't design an interesting challenge with such shallow gameplay.
>>
To eat your quarters.
>>
>>3955948
They don't. Final Fight is just garbage.
>>
>>3955948
muh quarters anon
>>
Final Fight is much superior than that poor imitation on the genesis not even worth mentioning cause i forgot.
>>
You must try Street of rage 3.
This game have strong smart skillfull in many stlye boss.
>>
File: woflogo.png (11KB, 304x170px) Image search: [Google]
woflogo.png
11KB, 304x170px
>>3956142
This. And despite what fags like >>3956419 try to deflect to (B-B-B-BUT SEGA!), it's not like all Capcom beat 'em ups were mediocre and had mostly shit bosses either. Even Knights of the Round had decent-ish bosses, and that came out around a similar time frame as Final Fight.
>>
>>3957462
Bullshit. Most of the bosses can be killed with nothing but the regular jump kick.
>>
>>3956142
>>3959771
>calling final fight shit
sure is underage time here
>>
You gotta slip in and out diagonally and steal a hit or two to fight that kind of boss. Don't get greedy.
>>
How come people always keep touting that the Mega Drive is a beat em up machine when Snes has about 3x more of them?
>>
>>3961387
Because SoR games proved how much better the machine was for beat 'em ups, the only notable game on the SNES even had to ditch belt-scroll
>>
>>3955948
>Katana

I only know Sodom cuz I played Street Fighter Zero 2 but why's he called Katana here, is it an alternate name for him?
>>
>>3955948
Cheap bullshit games have cheap bullshit bosses. More shocking news at 11.
>>
>>3961536
git gut
>>
>>3961590
I said cheap and bullshit. Not hard. Just lame and repetitive.
>>
>>3961603
t. fag that never got gut
>>
>>3961521
Yep, Nintendo censorship. Sodom means gay sex.
>>
>>3961387
Streets of Rage lets people dickwave about hardware even though practically no other belt scroller on the console pushes it anywhere near that hard, especially since FF SNES was so botched.
>>
>>39616107
Oh shit

Thx for the answer man
>>
>>3961645
>Streets of Rage lets people dickwave about hardware even though practically no other belt scroller on the console pushes it anywhere near that hard
Maybe because the MD was unpopular as fuck in Japan so all the beat 'em up developers sided with the inferior SFC.

>especially since FF SNES was so botched.
yeah, by hardware
>>
>muh hardware
The Genesis ain't much better than the SNES, if you take the Sailor Moon port for example the Genesis can do only 1 more enemy object on screen than the Nintendo version and at the expense of a lot of flickering.
The only reason why Streets of Rage works so well with so many sprites on screen is because the sprites are tiny and poorly animated.
>>
>>3961678
>Sailor Moon
not even the same developers, MD probably got the b team as usual.

>The only reason why Streets of Rage works so well with so many sprites on screen is because the sprites are tiny and poorly animated.
Final Fight sprites are just as poorly animated. SoR2 sprites are just slightly tinier than Final Fight, SoR3 sprites are about the same size as Final Fight, not to mention the games run at higher resolution too.

Hell even lesser games like the Runark port prove how much better the console is handling sprites
>>
>>3961702
>not even the same developers, MD probably got the b team as usual.
That's my favorite version, though. The Snes could also push 5 or 6 enemies sprites on screen when they used smaller sprites like in King of Dragons
>>
File: 1459827066253.gif (57KB, 323x452px) Image search: [Google]
1459827066253.gif
57KB, 323x452px
>>3961705
>The Snes could also push 5 or 6 enemies sprites on screen when they used smaller sprites like in King of Dragons
5 at best and only on single-player, more than that the game starts running at shit frame-rate. To think it barely achieves what SoR2/3 do via game boy resolution and tiny sprites is laughable.The Runark port in similar conditions can handle around 10 sprites on screen with no problem.
>>
>>3961721
Don't use a screenshot from the first stage.
>>
>console warring

Mature as fuck
>>
File: 2665584-5264557805-1zd9f.jpg (42KB, 799x462px) Image search: [Google]
2665584-5264557805-1zd9f.jpg
42KB, 799x462px
If you look at the specs you'll see the SNES could easily push twice as many sprites as the Genesis with one hand tied behind their back. In every single aspect, SNES dominates.
>>
>>3961740
nice meme, James
>>
>>3961736
Don't be hatin' some folks come here just for the console wars! >>3961214
>>
File: 1468859913823.png (411KB, 496x384px) Image search: [Google]
1468859913823.png
411KB, 496x384px
let me tell you about bullshit bosses
>>
>>3961740
>play lttp
>more than 6 sprites on screen
>incredible slowdown occurs
>>
>>3961903
Things that never happened.
>>
>>3961903
>play sanic
>more than 6 things on screen
>oh wait, it can't
>>
>>3961912
I guess youve never played the game
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.