[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want a micro console to plug into my tv and play emulators,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 98
Thread images: 9

File: ouya.jpg (44KB, 950x534px) Image search: [Google]
ouya.jpg
44KB, 950x534px
I want a micro console to plug into my tv and play emulators, the easier and cheaper the better, is there a system that /vr/ recommends?

No raspberry pi shenanigans
>>
>>3954247
easiest?

buy an raspi3 that someone already cased up and installed all required emulator software.

there's going to be some sort of setup with any route you take.

tbqhfamalam, get a wii and softmod it. it's incredible easy
>>
Wii will end up being the easiest and cheapest plus GC/Wii native games are better than Android native games
>>
>>3954247
Laptop with emulation station you do gotta set up a few text files though
>>
>>3954247
PSTV with the right firmware can be hacked and run retroarch.

You can even use USB storage once its hacked.
>>
>>3954247
Buy a netbook, plug it to your TV using an HDMI cable, stick a game pad to it, load it with roms and emulators, play.

Literally cheaper and better than any emulation box.
>>
Hands down if you want the most out of it a Wii because of the capability up to GC and the worst part is the n64 emulation but most games are okay and they have wads for the best of the n64 collection.

However if you're set on a micro console I have a mad catz mojo that works pretty damn well. I never would have bought it at dull price but a friend gave it to me because he couldn't figure out emulation on it and wanted me to mod his Wii for free. So it runs most things pretty beautifully like any other android phone all the way up to dreamcast. Plus I use it as my entertainment center and run Netflix and Kodi with it. So it works for me.

I do know the Nvidia has the most power for micro consoles on the market.
>>
>>3954302
Dont do this.
>>
>>3954310
That's just plain not cheaper than RPI3 with Recalbox and a $7 usb gamepad, brah
>>
File: iQue_HR_MG-sm.jpg (20KB, 300x280px) Image search: [Google]
iQue_HR_MG-sm.jpg
20KB, 300x280px
>>3954247

obv
>>
>>3954247
Sounds like you need a memberry 3. The memberry shenanigans just isn't up to the task.
>>
>>3954247
if you don't mind an android OS home system just get a TV box that has atleast 1GB 2GB if you can afford it. They only cost about $50 and are cheap to set up.
>>
>>3954639
Nexbox A95X pro looks to be a good model. 2gb of ram 6.0 Android. It's $50 the Nexbox A95X only has 1gb of ram but is only $40. Buy what ever bluetooth controller you want MOGA, 8bitdo, Generic.
>>
>>3954247
Intel PC Stick or the Lenovo one. Can play games up to ~2006, emulation works great. Even the cheaper 2GB variants are worth the price.
>>
>>3954353
Why not?
You can get one these days for $20, and it's highly likely to be at or below the required firmware.

It will play everything up to PS1 fairly well.
>>
>>3954302
Points for thinking out of the box, but this is the last thing I'd recommend for someone who just wants to plug-and-play roms. source: I have a PSTV
>>
File: nvidia-shield-box-10.jpg (263KB, 1600x898px) Image search: [Google]
nvidia-shield-box-10.jpg
263KB, 1600x898px
>>3954247
nVidia Shield TV if you don't mind Android and want something simple. If you wanna save some money, you can just get the older 2015 edition and save around fifty bucks as it's identical to the 2017 one specs-wise. Mops the floor with the underpowered pi3.

>inb4 /g/ shitters start trashing it for no reason other than nvidia made it

Honestly though, i'd suggest picking up some Dell workstation off ebay since it'll be more capable than both but I have no clue how much you're willing to spend.
>>
>>3954247
>cheaper the better
No.
>>
>>3954771

Shit, just get a Shield K1 tablet and a Chromecast. Cast to screen works great. Connect a generic joypad via a USB to mini USB convertor.
>>
>>3954848
>chomecasting games
I know it's cool now to pretend like input lag isn't a thing but damn, Son.
>>
You're sending mixed messages - You're asking for a micro console (so we know you're a faggot) yet don't want raspberry pi shenanigans (indicates not a faggot).

I can understand people not wanting a large CRT TV but this is a little ridiculous. Please god don't let "micro consoles" become a thing.

Just get an original x-box pre-loaded with everything and screw everything else. It's soooo obvious what the best choice is. The only other possibility is a Wii, but I hate having to use the remote every time I turn it on and prefer the xbox controller for retro games.
>>
>>3954860
You can make your Wii book straight to HBC, a loader or even right to Retroarch if you're so inclined. I used to be big into Xbox modding but now about the only thing I use it for is Xbox games, though XBMC is also really really unnecessarily good. Anyone still using a plain old DVD player should really switch to an Xbox
>>
>>3954247
just buy a premade pi
>>
don't get a pi they are shit for emulation and gaming get a wii or nvidia shield tv
>>
>>3954860
OG Xbox over a micro console or a PC? I mean I could understand a PSP if you wanted a portable machine but an original Xbox.

How do you sync your game saves with one of those? Not to mention playing on HDTV without filters. I mean an OG Xbox would be what to buy with a CRT. I honestly don't get why anyone would think an OG Xbox even compares to a micro console unless you were using CRT or wanted OG Xbox games. Overall PC is best but still.
>>
>>3954765
just out of curiosity, I was thinking about doing this as an 'upgrade' to my hacked wii/hdmi adapter, but someone was telling me the vita tv would actually be worse?
>>
>>3954386
Except it IS cheaper because it will not end up collecting dust because you never figured out how to correctly use it and then had to buy another emulationbox.

It's a single purchase that will last for years.
>>
>>3954256
This.

Or if you want an Android microconsole, get the NVIDIA Shield.
It may not be that cheap but it's the best and most powerful emulation console out there but since I rarely ever emulate because I have real hardware, a BVM CRT and a 6.1 surround setup for my game room along with both an extensive collection of official cartridges and flashcarts, I mostly play native Android games and use my NVIDIA Shield for streaming stuff like on Kodi, Netflix, Amazon Prime or Vudu.
>>
Buy a laptop or tablet with an HDMI port. that's all you need
>>
File: Untitled.png (86KB, 304x230px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
86KB, 304x230px
Retro Engine Sigma
>>
Surprised no one mentioned a modded Playstation 3, not only can you install retroarch and actually run a few lightweight crt shaders, you can load PS1/2 ISOs as well. The dual shock too IMO is still the best "all-around" gaming controller.
>>
>>3954248
>>3954256
I have an old wii laying around and I've been thinking about softmodding it. Is there a guide for doing it? The wii I have is a black one, I heard those can't be modded, is that true? I'm asking because I wouldn't want to brick it.
>>
>>3955057
I just think it's straight-up not worth the effort of someone who isn't tech-savvy (OP doesn't even want to bother with pi, and PSTV runs even less emulators). I'd stick with the Wii setup myself, unless you insist on playing the Vita stuff.
>>
If you don't want a Pi, then a cheap Android box should suffice.
>>
>>3955803
Theresbguidesyesyoucanmodit
>>
>>3955168
Huh, this seems okay. But usually when one of these seems good, it turns out they're awful
>>
>>3955064
haha what?
Recalbox is easy as fuck to use, RPI in general is designed for kids to learn CS.
What the fuck, are you retarded for real?
>>
>>3954247
I don't understand why you're so opposed to getting a Pi3, they're cheap, really easy to setup yourself (many YT vids available) and you can even overclock them and run Dreamcast games with no frameskip at 480p
I'm running Retropie 4.1 on a Pi3 and I would definitely recommend it
>>
File: recalbox.jpg (21KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
recalbox.jpg
21KB, 960x540px
>>3956107
mah dude

I can't recommend Recalbox over Retropie more though-- just an overall better implementation of EmulationStation, with better cores and less config bullshit.
Anyway,
RPI3 IS LIFE
RPI3 IS LOVE
>>
Does the Pi only have HDMI out? I only have a CRT.
>>
>>3956116
thanks I'll check that out, I'm still tweaking and adding things to my Retropie build but so far I'm pretty pleased with it

>>3956134
yeah but you can always use a converter - just remember to account for the low voltage HDMI signal to convert back to analogue and it will work (pic related)
>>
>>3955803
The only Wii that won't crack and take the homebrew channel via Letterbomb is the tiny red one just because it's super stripped down. It's monkey easy and with that you can run all the emulators. To run GC,Wii and VC software you have to get your iOS slots set up right which is slightly tricky but emulators are literally easier to set up than on a phone you just extract their zips into the apps directory on an SD card and they show up in the HBC. They usually have a default roms directory. There's even big enough SD cards now to fit all the ROMsets for all the /vr/ consoles on although I keep mine on a USB hard drive because I have a bunch of disc images for Sega CD and PCE CD and a zillion retro computers.
>>
>>3956152
and don't fall for the "unplayable input lag" meme
I play my Recalbox RPI3 every night on the CRT at the foot of my bed.
Fuck the police
>>
>>3956220
Can the pi output 240p?
>>
>>3956249
sure but it's not necessary. 480p doesn't flicker for me on my Zenith set.

Technically, the audio jack is a composite out anyway. Just have to read the manual and get the ride cord for it.
For me though, it works fine with the adapter pictured above in other anon's post.
>>
>>3956272
*right cord

fuck I got up early and the fatigue is kicking in
>>
File: muh_eyes.jpg (45KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
muh_eyes.jpg
45KB, 600x450px
>>3956152
Dude don't use an RCA adapter, composite is the worst output after RF.
Besides the Pi used to have built in RCA output, which on the B+ model was moved to the audio-jack-like TRRS connector.
Just get a hdmi to scart (rgb) or hdmi to vga for monitors.
>>
>>3956279
yeah I agree VGA or RGB would be better if you have the option, but the composite will always work on every type of old TV so it's a safe bet
>>
>>3956310
>old tv
wtf of an excuse is this. I bet your TV has proper inputs. You are just being lazy.
>>
>>3956328
not him, but my current CRT is a 90s Zenith. It has coax and composite and that's fucking IT.
>>
>>3956334
What are you keeping that crap for? Seriously with all the goodies out there almost for free.
>>
>>3956353
I like it.
I actually grew up in the 80s and 90s man, this TV is pretty nice compared to the old tvs from the 70s we were usually using.
I used to have a big flatscreen CRT, good color and all the holes, but fuckdamn it was heavy, so it didn't make it during a move, and I picked up this tv from a neighbor moving out of THEIR house too, after I moved in.

I like it, has good color and is a good size and weight. It's like 20" screen, which is nice.
>>
>>3956512
For some reason smallish consumer CRTs usually have S-Video inputs OR component inputs but not both. That's something I always found kind of puzzling. You should easily be able to find something small with one or the other though.

>>3956328
I agree
>>
>>3956249
you need one of these to get that Audio Jack composite out going on--
>>
>>3955838
I do not. I am pretty tech savvy , but it does look like a pain in the ass regardless
>>3955803
just google 'please hack mii letterbomb' and go for it. The black Wii doesn't habe GCN ports (iirc) but that's the only limitatiom. Putting emulators and roms on an SD card is harder than hacking the wii itself, if that gives you an idea how stupid easy it is. If you just run homebrew channel amd emulators there is literally zero chance of bricking the machine. You don't need to do amy crazy IOS stuff for GCN ISOs or emulators. You can get all that from Wiibrew after you hack it. Also, if you're not running it on a CRT (which is awesome btw)! get a Wii2HDMI adapter from AliExpress for $4.
>>
>>3956936
I have a black Wii with GC ports. Some white Wiis don't even have them though you just gotta check
>>
An HTPC is great if you don't mind keeping a m+kb close by..
>>
Borrowing OP's thread for a moment, what about handhelds?

What are some good sub-$100 handheld systems for playing 8 and 16 bit games?

Say the player in question plans on playing RPGs so the screen shouldn't be too small to comfortably read lots of text.
>>
>>3954247
Raspberry Pi 2/3 + Retropie for everything up to the PS1/N64
GPD WIN for all that AND PS2/GCN (Which isn't retro though)
>>
>>3957510
As others have said Nvidia Shield is easily the best handheld although it's more than $100. You could try finding a cheap PSP as well.
>>
>>3954247
Any SBC solution is going to be shit.

Invest a couple hundred and build a micro-ITX HTPC.
>>
>>3957492
Ah, I guess it's only the blue models that never have them?
>>
>>3957681
afaik - I've never seen a blue one what had them
>>
File: nintendo-wii-blue-console-00.jpg (213KB, 570x450px) Image search: [Google]
nintendo-wii-blue-console-00.jpg
213KB, 570x450px
>>3956936
>>3957492
>>3957681
>>3957820
You can spot a Wii with no GC compatibility - the family edition - a mile off.

They are designed for horizontal orientation rather than earlier revisions which were set up for vertical. You're correct that blue consoles are all family editions and therefore lack the GC ports. White, black or red ones could be either so be careful with those.
>>
>>3958465
Nice, thanks anon.
>>
>>3956936
>The black Wii doesn't habe GCN ports
You're right though. I just checked the black wii I have and it doesn't have the extra ports. I could still use a pro controller plugged in the wiimote, though, right?
I also have a red anniversary one, which is the one I currently have hooked up. That one has the GCN ports. And I already have game cube controllers. Maybe I should just hack that one?
>>
I heard the Wii U is prime for setting up as an emulation box now that it's dead. is that true? any recommended guides on getting it set up?
>>
>>3958590
The Gamecube ports are the fastest. There's perceivable delay from pro controllers if that matters to you. I haven't really used USB controllers with action games, just mainly my mechanical keyboard for retro computer emulation.
>>
>>3958836
All the mods use its Wii mode other than the onesfor running WiiU games so you're better off buying 10 Wiis for the same price.
>>
>>3957510
GCW Zero is $150 but you might not like the screen
>>
>>3958850
It can play DS games, which is pretty cool.
>>
>>3959015
31/2000 or is there an emulator?
>>
>>3959204
VC injects.
>>
>>3955375

Hacked PS3 owner here, you're mostly right but it's not perfect - PS1 games look pretty rough on a HD screen and the PS3 itself can't do any progressive video modes on CRTs. Would generally recommend the Wii over it unless you really want the library.
>>
>>3955375
>>3959748
How hard is it to mod a PS3 nowadays?
>>
>>3958590
Yeah, I usually use a Wiimote/pro controller, but I mostly play JRPGs on it so the lag isn't a deal breaker. All things considered the lag is actually impressively low, but still noticable. You could hack both or either, totally your call depending on your play style and what you play (or even how many rooms with tvs you have). You can swap the SD card in and out of multiple systems once you have the HBC up and running.
>>3958836
It's more challenging for Wii U native stuff, but hacking Wii mode is pretty easy and you get a native HDMI out without meeding an adapter. The Wii mode has to be hacked with a game-explot though (the games are cheap if you don't happen to have one) since letter bomb doesn't work on the Wii U's Wii mode. After that it's exactly the same, plus HDMI, minus GCN ports. I actually unhacked my Wii U when I got my Switch and packed it away, and hacked a Wii instead since it's smaller and has the GCN ports. To each his own.
>>
>>3959915
If you've updated in like the past 7 years it can't be done afaik, I think you need somewhere around V3.x.x system software.
>>
>>3959918
So you're pretty much restricted to the fat PS3s then, shame.
>>
>>3959915
On the ones it's impossible to do? Impossible. lol
>>
>>3959921
Yeah, a lot of used ones never got updated, but they're all time bombs. Speaking from a lot of experience... I ended up with a super slim and it's by far the coolest running and most reliable of the 5 PS3s I went through before it, but unhackable.
>>
>>3954247

You want cheap and easy, but you refuse to consider the raspberry pi?

Enjoy letting someone with a tiny bit of tech knowledge gouge you on something you COULD have built yourself in under 30 minutes with near-zero skills.
>>
Building a cheap and small micro atx or itx pc could work also. Will let you emulate dolphin and such with the new pentium and and cheap GPU
>>
>>3960408
>emulate dolphin
Do you mean emulate an emulator or emulate an actual marine mammal?
>>
>>3960462
The marine mammal has higher recommended specs.
>>
While this thread is here, I have a question about Wii emulators and input lag
I noticed there's horrible input lag when I play emulators on the Wii, but I think when I play on something else, there's only normal HDTV input lag
Is this a normal thing for emulator's on Wii or is my brain retarded?
>>
>>3961198
Are you playing with the Wiimote/Classic Controller, or with something plugged into the GCN ports?
>>
>>3961203
Wiimote and Classic Controller
You think it's those? I'll admit I almost never tried a gamecube controller on my Wii in ever
>>
>>3961207
That's definitely it. You're double-lagging and that's hard to overlook.
>>
>>3961212
I don't have this problem on my WiiU though with those wireless controllers, is it specifically the wiimote that has lag?
>>
>>3961216
and when i say with *those* wireless controllers, i meant the controllers made specifically for WiiU, not wiimotes
>>
>>3961216
>>3961219
Wiimotes have pretty bad input lag. I always assumed it was because they're bidirectional (they make sounds themselves) but if that were it then I'd figure the WiiU gamepad would be even worse or are you talking about pro controllers that sync on their own?

At any rate, just plug a Gamecube controller into your Wii and see for yourself. If you're satisfied with the responsiveness you can get all kindsof adapters for other controllers. You should also get component cables and switch your Wii to 480p if you haven't already
>>
>>3961232
I'll definitely try it out. Just thought it should be brought up if people are recommending a Wii over a retropie

Wii is totally better for Wii/Gamecube games, but that input lag thing is why I was hesitating over recommending it.
>>
>>3961254
The reason it's still highlyl recommended is due to cost, native 240p support, and because you can use GCN adapters to use whatever hardwired controllers you want on it, which leads to even less lag than a USB controller on a Pi.
>>
>>3959918
>>3959921

It's not this bad, you can hack PS3s made up until about 2011, slim consoles included, but you need soldering skills and something called a E3 Flasher to do so. I just sent mine to an ebay seller that did the mod, though that was a couple years ago so they may have cracked down on that sort of thing. Phat PS3's are fucking terrible, they're walking wounded from birth and are all going to die (if they haven't already), would never recommend going that route.

With the last few PS3 games coming out now I'm hoping Sony stop updating PSN and someone can put out a good softmod to give it a nice seld-off, plus if they ever figured out how to unlock 240p on the console it would become a hell of a retro box.
>>
>>3962251
that's what I'm hoping too. I had my phat hacked years ago and it was pretty awesome.
>>
>>3961198
There are many potential sources of lag. Your TV is probably the biggest followed by the controller followed by the actual emulator.
>>
>>3962416

I would only agree with that order if the controller was wireless. Otherwise, most likely lag culprits are TV > emulator > video drivers > gamepad driver
>>
>>3962571
>if the controller was wireless
>it is wireless
Thread posts: 98
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.