[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Development of 8bit games

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

File: 1492401240103.gif (3KB, 124x128px) Image search: [Google]
1492401240103.gif
3KB, 124x128px
I really just want to create some little 8 bit games as a hobby, where should I start? I've Googled around but only find stupid click bait type guides. I want to basically start from scratch, or at least as close as possible. If there's a better board to ask please direct me and I'll delete this thread myself.
>>
Get a C64, or any other microcomputer, and you can write one in BASIC. Just download some old user magazines for a tutorial.
>>
>>3953558
Any 8-bit microcomputer, to clarify.
>>
>>3953558
C64 is probably the "easiest" and also thankfully has insanely much literature regarding the subject (how to work with 6502)
Once you nail C64 down and feel comfortable, you might want to jump into NES. While it's 6502 too, it's a bit more convoluted.
After being proficient in 6502 and understanding the inner workings of NES, you could read the wikibook on SNES development. 65c816 is different but somewhat similar.

Notice: before you can even jump into C64 dev you must at least understand the basics of low-level shit. At the very least you should be able to understand and count in binary & hex, understand bitwise operators and the basics of assembly (check out https://skilldrick.github.io/easy6502/ for an interactive overview!)

One thing you must also understand that this shit isn't easy. You're better off doing game maker pixelshit for normies.
But if you're really determined to do it, good luck!!
>>
>>3953574
Why would he want to write for the Nes? Consoles are boring.
>>
>>3953561
Is there software I can download like an emulator? My desire is to use ARM based emulation stations I have build from guides using raspberry pi. Basically design funny games for my kids. Very ignorant to this type of stuff so I don't know where to begin. Endgame is possible to develop games on smart phones
>>
>>3953580
Might as well just start writing on smart phones now, m8. No point bothering with old stuff if your endgame isn't making games for old hardware.
>>
>>3953587
Ah okay, I just thought maybe learning from base would be best, but it appears to be more work than its worth. Do you have any idea where one could start with programming games for phones? I have limited knowledge in programming, I learned pascal years ago but that appears to be a dead language now. I appreciate the help.
>>
>>3953593
You're not really going to learn anything unique by learning BASIC. You'll be fine learning to write for phones. I have no idea where you'd start. Ask /g/.
>>
>>3953556
>build time machine
>go back to 1980
>like games
>tell parents you're buying a computer to learn how to program
>swear it's not just to play games, but it really is
>enjoy the sweet irony when you actually learn how to program on your "game machine" and go on to make more money in a year than they did in their entire lives.

>>3953574
>6502
Probably want to start off on the 6510 CPU in the main console before you jump into programming the floppy drives 6502. lel

>>3953580
>so much crazy in one post
Use a modern game maker
>>
>>3953556
Basic QBasic is le easiest to make a "retro" feel kinda game. as >>3953558 said.

You should also find some PDFs of old Usbourne books on programming on old computers from the 80s/90s, and sample code for simple games.
>>
>>3953580
>Use an emulator to prog
Nevermind. I realised you're either a retarded hipster or a trollbaiter
>>
PICO-8.
Limits you just enough while keeping things simple and with a large and supportive community to fall on during development.
Good for a first few projects in order to familiarize yourself with game design, though you won't want to stay there forever.
>>
>>3953556
>i have to make it clear that i'm a /pol/ack wherever i go
cross-boarding isn't something to be proud of, anon.
>>
>>3953773
Oh the happy merchant transcended /pol/, it is now a 4chan wide mascot.
>>
Another anon here. I want to develop Game Boy and Game Boy Color games, but don't know how.
I'm a quick learner and decent 2D artist, although you guys only know my 3D models.
>>
>>3953783
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vM40ORXwceQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwl-2zhBIFg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCcKsa9puww
contact the authors of these and ask for pointers
>>
>>3953783
10 seconds in google:
http://www.loirak.com/gameboy/gbprog.php
>>
>>3953556
Despite it being 32-bit and off-topic, Gameboy Advance is by far the easiest console to program that still has a somewhat old-school feel. ARM CPUs are everywhere so there's great tooling, and there's no need to learn assembly.
>>
>>3953558
Not the OP, but thank you for the advice anon.
>>
>>3953783
>>3953792
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAUgdxCghyM
I think this is a better example.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.