[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why can't Nintendo make perfectly accurate emulators?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 3

File: switch-virtual-console-launch.jpg (108KB, 960x528px) Image search: [Google]
switch-virtual-console-launch.jpg
108KB, 960x528px
Why can't Nintendo make perfectly accurate emulators?
>>
>>3949851
Isn't every Nintendo console too weak for higan?
>>
>>3949851
Why should they?
People that really care about emulation aren't gonna buy VC releases, and the people that do buy them don't care about perfect emulation.
>>
What's inaccurate about Virtual Console?
>>
>>3949857
spbp
/thread
>>
>>3949859
The wii has an entirely different hardware instruction set so autists are mad that it can't play games exactly like the SNES
>>
>>3949857
>Why should they?
shouldn't they want their games to be played as close as possible to how they were intended?

Don't they have the resources and knowledge to achieve this with ease?

Isn't RetroArch on Wii (snes9xgxnext) better than VC?

If I'm paying for a VC game I'd expect it to be better than what some third party emulator can do for free.
>>
>>3949863
Yeah sure but how exactly do the games differ?
>>
>>3949859
Seconding this question.
Other than the weird screen darkness thing, I thought VC games were pretty damn close to perfect.
>>
>>3949873
>shouldn't they want their games to be played as close as possible to how they were intended?

No. Why should they? You never answered his original question.
>>
Hey guys.

The purpose of VC is to challenge and co-opt the viable industry based around --->(((###PEOPLE PAYING MONEY###)))<--- for old video games.

We are already to the point where your favorite emulator is irrelevant to the target customer.
>>
Has /vr/ discovered the existence of the XRGB-mini Framemeister? What do they think?
>>
>>3949859
The 3ds emulator for Gbc is bad at handling sound and I've had it crash outright on homebrew demos. Ever wondered why the cries in Prism are screwed up? There you go!
>>
>>3949927
Yes. It's shit.
>>
>>3949930
does Crystal work on a hacked 3ds? If not i guess there's always HGSS via r4i gold.

>>3949927
Yeah but I want to know for sure whether or not there's going to be a 4K model before I consider forking out for the current 1080p model.
>>
>>3949851
>Why can't Nintendo make perfectly accurate emulators?

They are too busy making money.
>>
>>3949873
>Isn't RetroArch on Wii (snes9xgxnext) better than VC?

it's not. VC isn't perfect but it's leagues better than any 3rd party Wii emulator
>>
>>3949930
Which one, the VC emulator, or one of the homebrew emulators?
>>
>>3949983
one thing that stood out to me is that snes9xgxnext preserved the aspect ratio, whereas VC on Wii stretched it out to 16:9

I don't know how they compare regarding input lag, colour accuracy etc, but retroarch has worked well so far, including Yoshi's Island
>>
>>3949985

...he's responding to a question about the vc emulator.
>>
>>3949927
Yeah we shit on it regularly.
>>
>>3949863
Didn't it have crystals in it and shit
>>
>nintendo
>make emulators
i thought they just used open-source code. i was sure i read somewhere the NES virtual console emulator is literally FCEU ported to the wii architecture. it's certainly the case for their commodore 64 virtual console games (they just use VICE).

that's one of the reasons i never felt bad about pirating old nintendo games. they grabbed super mario bros. off a ROM site and run it off a copy of FCEU and charge people for the privilege.
>>
What pisses me off in all those re-releases, no matter where, is that they could improve/fix stuff but they don't.

Games could use bugfixes, lag reduction, reduce tile flicker for NES games, etc

but nope. Just a quick buck.
>>
For motherfucks sake

these are the same people that download ROMs and sell them back to how without even bothering to look at the header

and you still think it's realistic to expect them to give half a shit about accuracy?
>>
>>3949927
It's not shit, it's just that upscaling as a whole is second rank.
>>
>>3950641
yeah but for every person making a valid case for a bugfix there's ten autists screeching about "MAH INTEGRITY"
>>
>>3950641
This.
They could've ported the translation and bonus content from the Advance versions of Final Fantasy IV, V and VI but they just chose to release the old ROMs available on the Internet.

For God's sake, they didn't even fix the numbering of Final Fantasy "II" to IV and Final Fantasy "III" to VI.
>>
>>3950676
That's not an excuse. The rom size are so small you can provide both the original and updated versions.
>>
>>3950705
do i _sound_ like i'm defending the mindset
>>
>>3950705
Cant please everyone huh.
>>
>>3950641
>Just a quick buck.
Well no shit moron.
>>
>>3949851
>Why can't Nintendo make perfectly accurate emulators?
They probably could, tho why bother? For a hand few of autists?
The VC is absolutely fine for 98% of people. The 2% can either suck some homebrew guys dick for that extra exact omg its so close tho still not close gameplay or you know, play the original..

They're running a business here. They wont and will not please everyone. You have your other options so deal with it.
>>
>>3950023
>Wii stretched it out to 16:9
underage detected
>>
>>3949873
>shouldn't they want their games to be played as close as possible to how they were intended?
Again, why should they waste development resources when they know a safe majority of the market doesn't care?

>If I'm paying for a VC game I'd expect it to be better than what some third party emulator can do for free.
That's the problem, people who emulate don't want to buy VC, and the people that buy VC don't care about emulation quality. What features would make something you can do on a computer with an xbox controller for free worth paying $15 for?
>>
File: WVW69jZZbWIJkE2-GI.jpg (51KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
WVW69jZZbWIJkE2-GI.jpg
51KB, 800x450px
>>3950641
Star Fox 64 on Wii Virtual Console is the reason, as far as i can tell

>First release with no framedrops
>"Muh integrity" idiots cry incesantly
>framedrops are patched back in

Honestly, i think that they stopped caring after that, aside from stop releasing 50 Hz games on Europe after the DKC debacle.
>>
>>3951131
>aside from stop releasing 50 Hz games on Europe after the DKC debacle.
That's hilarious, even in modern times Yuropoors are haunted by 50hz.
>>
>>3951131
Jesus christ, that really happened?!
>>
>>3950023
The Wii doesn't stretch it your tv does
>>
>>3951148
Yes it did, i still remember updating the game via eShop, giving it my weekly play and being infuriated after seeing the old slowdowns back
>>3951142
Not exactly anymore, but...

>Wii VC 60Hz games were treated as special and released at a more expensive price (1-2 € more)
>Even now, on the Wii U VC it is specified that the releases are the 60Hz version of the game
>If a game was originally PAL3 or PAL5 (translated to the european language) there will be a chance of it being 50Hz
>If a 50Hz game is released hacked to 60Hz, the results are usually hilariously bad.
>>
>>3951275
Any idea if there is a dump of the lagless rom version available, or was the slowdown reduction done on the emulator side?
>>
>>3951291
Of course it's emulator side you dumb fuck.
>>
File: 48f.png (27KB, 501x585px) Image search: [Google]
48f.png
27KB, 501x585px
>>3951275
>>Wii VC 60Hz games were treated as special and released at a more expensive price (1-2 € more)
Holy shit maximum jewerly.
>>
>>3949856
>too weak for higan?
That's not how muh accuracy works. The faster processor speed, the more throttling is needed to make it "accurate". It's an autistic balancing game.
>>
>>3951291
Emulator side

>>3951295
That ended as soon as 3DS came out (No 50Hz roms on 3DS) but yeah, it was that stupid

>>3950023
Wii nor Wii U stretches VC games. Your TV settings are at fault here.
>>
>>3951292
And you know that because... ?

FYI a lot of retro console games don't lag because "of the hardware" but because the code is unoptimized.

Some games have romhacks around, lag reduction patches, and all they do is optimize the routines to reduce CPU cycle count, untangle the code, etc

Those can reduce lag considerably and they work on real hardware just the same.

If romhackers can do it, it's not impossible to concieve they hired some devs to give this treatment to games they own, "you dumb fuck".
>>
>>3950650
wait what? is this true??
>>
>>3951327
Nigger. Optimizing a rom is way more hardwork than changing the clock speed on an emulator.
>>
>>3951327
Well, so far the rom is the same, if it weren't then we would have a patched rom avaiable on the net.
>>
>>3951335
Apparently, the wii nes VC had regular ines headers. They changed it to a new header for the 3DS VC.

It's safe to assume they changed it because the internet found them out.
>>
>>3951335
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/01/video_the_surprising_origins_of_the_wii_virtual_console_super_mario_bros_rom
>>
What? You kids expected them to REDUMP roms for the Virtual Console directly from the cartridge when they could be easily downloaded online?
You have so much to learn about the corporate world.
>>
>>3951359
Well, they should have, if only to make sure it's dumped properly, rather than downloading whatever outdated version they stumble on after a quick google search.
>>
>>3951367
>dumped properly,
Nobody can tell the difference between a bad dump and a [!] Rom besides turbo nerds like byuu.
>>
>>3951359
You mean those online roms which were also dumped from cartridges?
>>
>>3951390
The point is why redump something when you could get them online for free?
>>
>>3949851
Because physics? The best you can hope for with standard processors is to move things around at the speed of light. That's roughly 299792458mps in a vacuum, like that space between your ears.
>>
>>3949851
They can, it's just not worthwhile to them.

99.8% of the people buying the VC games won't notice the difference.

They don't care about the developers "intentions" that people here project onto them.

They just want to play fucking Mario and will likely enjoy it 10x more than you fucks.
>>
>>3951292
>>3951291
I'm pretty sure the emulator bundled with the rom in the wad on eshop stuff

>>3951131
I noticed when the official SNES emulator came out for 3DS it had all the original slow downs and shit. Quickly uninstalled the games I had and went back to RetroArch.
>>
>>3951350
hell, I even bet they copied the source code of a NES emulator
>>
Because they don't even want to do VC in the first place. They want you to buy their latest new garbage.

To them it's all just widgets on an assembly line.
>>
>>3951350
so the only proof that nintendo downloaded the rom online is the ines header?

it could just be some nintendo programmer choosing to use the same format for the nes header for the sake of making programming the emulator easier
>>
>>3950641
You don't get it, do you? Nobody knows the internals of ancient individual games anymore. It's expensive to hire somebody to either reexamine source code if they are lucky and it exists, and prohibitively expensive if the source has been lost. On the other hand emulators only have to understood and programmed once, and then an entire library of old roms can be played on them.

Of course it's horseshit. But it's assholes who buy rereleases (and honestly remakes) who send the signal to these companies that this is ok behavior. Why put extra effort into something that already prints money?
>>
>>3949873
They don't give a fuck.
Miyamoto-san couldn't care less about your mario having blue, purple or fucking green skies as long as you gave him your money to play it.
Thread posts: 64
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.