[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does Lost Levels actually have good level design, or is it on

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

File: lostlevels.png (15KB, 511x447px) Image search: [Google]
lostlevels.png
15KB, 511x447px
Does Lost Levels actually have good level design, or is it on par with a mediocre romhack?
>>
>>3947326
THATS NOT BLUE!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68ugkg9RePc
>>
>>3947326

its good. i've played through the whole thing, its a lot of fun. very very challenging in the final stages though.
>>
>>3947326
A good romhack, I guess.
It was clearly made for people who have mastered the first game. It's difficulty serves a purpose.
>>
It's full of meme levels and gimmicks like wind and backwards warp zones.
>>
I never got past that invisible block meme level.
The gimmicks are stupid and boring.
>>
Kinda in between I guess. Many of the levels are a fuck-you to the player. I don't think this would be a very enticing game unless you had a hardon for SMB1. Plus, strange faces added on everything.
>>
>>3947326
the level design is solid. it's difficult to the point of trolling, but if you've mastered smb1 and want a greater challenge, it's ideal. the difficulty is basically a continuation of the curve of smb1 in that it starts off at world 8 difficulty and keeps getting harder.

if it were a romhack, it would be one of the few good romhacks. it does what a romhack is theoretically supposed to do, which is creatively expand the experience in unorthodox ways while still being competent in design.
>>
Did you know that this game is called "Super Mario Bros. 2" in Japan?
>>
>>3947630
I thought it was called Super Mario USA heartbeat picnic?
>>
>>3947467
/thread
>>
>>3947326
Probably everyone already know this but when the jap devs showed the beta of super mario bros 2 it was deemed too hard so they renamed this game lost levels and changed the sprites of doki doki panic and just changed the game name to super mario bros 2. As a kid i was very confused because mario 1 and 3 are played basically in the same fashion but 2 seemed odd all the way
>>
>>3947752
Oh I didn't know that!
>>
>>3947326
It pulls a lot of cheap romhackish bullshit, but it's still a lot better than most actual romhacks.
>>
It has good level design in that it's a complete subversion of everything you learned from the original SMB. The game teaches you that it knows your habits from the first game and they won't fly here. It's a brilliantly-designed game.
>>
The GBC Mario Deluxe has the lost levels as a bonus once you win the game. It felt like some sort of secret continuation. Is harder but it has something that sets it appart from 1. Not that SMB 1's world is full of details, but it seems like it wasn't the point of 2 to expand it, it feels more like a contorsion of one in stranger ways.
>>
Hack quality, with some nice new ideas like the wind. I hate all Mario gamehacks, none of them got even close to the originals.

If you want to play a good Mario game that is freeware, try New Super Marisa Land.
>>
>>3947423
this. those springs that blast you offscreen for like ten seconds are bullshit
>>
>>3947752

>Filthy gaijin not able to pray this version, too difficurt, too stupid! That a probrem, what do? I know, we not still have Doki Doki Panic?

That said, our SMB2 definitely IS a great game and people who still don't regard it as a "real" mario title should just look at how many enemies from it are now mario staples, like Bob-Ombs.
>>
File: Great_Giana_Sisters-2.png (41KB, 640x400px) Image search: [Google]
Great_Giana_Sisters-2.png
41KB, 640x400px
probably an unpopular opinion but I honestly think the great gianna sisters levels were really good & about on par difficulty wise with the original smb.
>>
>>3947326

It's good for what it's trying to do which is pure challenge.
>>
>>3947752

That seems to be replaced by Howard's suggestion that it was 'too different' from the first one, never mind that filthy gaijin 2 is even more different.
>>
>>3948273
No, he thought it wasn't different enough. The graphics were looking VERY dated compared to the other stuff on the market at the time, and SMB2 just felt like a rehash with shittier, more frustrating level design. He was probably correct in believing American gamers would reject it.

Also, Fuji TV owned the rights to the DDP characters, so swapping them for Mario characters worked out for NoJ as well. Even the Japanese market rereleases have all been based on SMB USA for that reason.
>>
>>3948286

Well that makes a lot more sense. Still think 9 year old me would've ate that shit up though.
>>
>>3948061
>New Super Marisa Land
Of course it had to be Tohou bullshit.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.