[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What to do with this POS

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: DSC_0663.jpg (656KB, 1245x844px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0663.jpg
656KB, 1245x844px
This thing just doesn't wan't to recognize the existence of a disc on it's spindle whatsofuckingever.
>Put disc onto spindle
>Push down lid switch
>Checking disc...
>Laser goes up and down trying to focus
>Laser can't focus, CD doesn't spin up
>Please put a disc on the spindle

Cleaned the lens.
Checked both motors and they both work fine.
Checked all the connections between the boards for continuity and they're fine.
Tried adjusting both the 4 pots on the CD controller board and the power pot on the laser itself. (Literally no change whatsoever after trying various positions.

I've tried this japanese Sonic CD, which is in mint condition as well as a bunch of music normal music CDs in multiple different CD bioses though I do not have any burned CD-R's around but I doubt it would read those if I can't get any lifesign out of it otherwise right?

Anyways, at this point i would think it's either the laser giving. Could also be the caps I guess but they all look perfectly fine to me, meaning no doming or leakage whatsoever on both the mainboard and the CD controller PCB.
Any input on this? I'd just like to be sure it really is the laser before I get a replacement. Any other things I could check? I saw someone mention the laser is also supposed to be blinking on and off when it's trying to gain focus. Anyone here who can check if that's really the case because mine doesn't blink but just stays solid until it gives up.
>>
Forgot to mention that the genesis portion does indeed work perfectly fine.
>>
It's the laser. It takes the same laser as a Saturn so you should have just swapped with your Saturn to check before you adjusted pots on the controller board I hope you made a note of their original positions.
>>
>>3946072
I have the og settings of the pots and I've actually already put them back the way they were since it didn't seem to help.
Unfortunately I don't happen to own a Saturn (already read it uses the same Optima-6S) so that's not an option sadly.
Slowly but surely I'm getting the feeling I'll just have to bite the bullet and try swapping it unless someone here has more ideas.
>>
>>3946081
The laser isn't too expensive since it's pretty common. I think they're under $20 or at least they were a few years ago I don't know how bad the bubble has been hitting parts.
>>
>>3946091
Eh 25$ to 30$ so I guess i'm gonna go for it. I'll still be pissed if that doesn't fix it in the end but I guess I have no other choice. Thanks for helping out.
Still open to suggestions on what I can try to get it to do something in the meantime and I'm still interested in knowing if the laser should blink or not.
>>
>>3946101
It should but if it's super burned out it may be so laughably dim you can't see it. Have you tried watching it in a dark room? The fact that it goes up and down leads me to be pretty confident it's getting its correct signals from the controller.
>>
File: out.webm (3MB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
out.webm
3MB, 1080x1920px
>>3946108
I don't have anything to compare but I can see it quite alright.
Mine doesn't seem to blink at all though.
Did you take the fact it should blink from the saturn or did you actually check if the sega cd does it?
>>
>>3946072
>>3946081
pretty sure it uses optima 5 laser, not optima 6.
>>
File: service manual.jpg (52KB, 632x275px) Image search: [Google]
service manual.jpg
52KB, 632x275px
>>3946189
That might be used by some sega cd 1 or 2's but the JVC x'eye uses the optima 6S.
Here's the service manual page for that.
Wouldn't want to blindly get one without checking properly.
>>
>>3946214
try picking up assy
>>
>>3946216
OK
>>
>>3946081
If you misadjust the pots you kill the laser. If you already went the route of fiddling with them, you very likely killed it outright. I would look into a replacement.

Btw, this is the problem (besides scratches) with optical media: lasers go bad.
>>
>>3946242
>If you misadjust the pots you kill the laser.
Sega CD adjustments are a huge bitch.
You need an oscilloscope to properly configure the laser board. The service manual has directions on how to match the factory waveforms.
>>
>>3946242
I am aware of the fact that you shouldn't blindly turn the power pot down to a point where to current gets too high for the laser.
I only really lowered the resistance on the power pot a tiny bit to see if that would give the laser a little push and I tried highering it just for the heck of it.
But even then, I only fiddled with the power pot after I did everything else since I knew that is more of a last hope solution so I doubt I could've done a whole lot more damage to it considering it didn't do shit anyways.
I already ordered one now but that'll take some time to get to me.
>>
>>3946256
I don't have access to an oscilloscope sadly but the fact that the laser doesn't seem to recognize any disc no matter what i doubt it's really a matter of incorrect configuration.
>>
>>3946214
If you have the fucking service manual then why bother asking here on 4chan? Just do what the manual tells you about adjusting pickups.
>>
>>3946268
It's a lot less intricate. It only has a short checklist (some of it just wavelines for an oscilloscope which I don't have) about the CD part compared to the long list of stuff to check mentioned in online guides + it doesn't take into account that the device is now ages old.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.