[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What did Richard Garriott mean by this?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4

Alternatively, what did EA mean by it?
>>
By what? I'm not seeing any text.
>>
>>3943792
The "game"
>>
it was a good game
>>
I'm not entirely sure
>>
>>3943794
He meant to make another Ultima title that pushed the boundaries of what was technically possible and wrapped up remaining plots while remaining accessible for newcomers.
>>
File: whats_a_paladin.jpg (18KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
whats_a_paladin.jpg
18KB, 480x360px
>>3943801
What we got though was something else.

>>3943797
Only if you never played any of the preceding Ultimas.
>>
>>3943803
Fuck off spoony you degenerate
>>
>>3943803
I played all the Ultimas in order and I enjoyed IX. The plot is dull but otherwise it's great.
>>
>>3943807
Literally what.
>>
>>3943814
I played Ultima in the order of:
Ultima 1: First Age of Darkness
Ultima 2: Revenge of the Enchantress
Ultima 3: Exodus
Ultima 4: Quest for the Avatar
Ultima 5: Warriors of Destiny
Ultima 6: The False Prophet
Worlds of Ultima: Savage Empire
Ultima Worlds of Adventure: Martian Dreams
Ultima Underworld: The Syggian Abyss
Ultima 7: The Black Gate
Ultima Underworld 2: Labyrinth of Worlds
Ultima 7 Part 2: The Serpent Isle
Ultima 8: Pagan
Ultima 9: Ascension

Later I also played Akalabeth and Escape from Mount Drash.

And I enjoyed Ascension.
Was that really so hard to understand?
>>
>>3943825
>And I enjoyed Ascension.
This does not follow from the anterior events and the general lucidity of your posts.
>>
>>3943728
They meant to rape the corpse of the greatest gaming franchise ever.

Still better than Pagan though.
>>
>>3943831
Why shouldn't I enjoy it? The graphics are great, sound is solid, the controls are well done, the gameplay works pretty well, the dungeons aren't bad, exploring is fun and so on.
The plot may be poorly done to quickly string the game together but that doesn't stop me from liking the rest.
>>
>>3943850
>sound is solid
Okay, the sound wasn't bad, but if I want great sound then I'll listen to actual music.
>>
>>3943852
Sound is more than music. The game has surround sound for the environment which adds to the immersion.
Voice acting isn't that bad for its time either.
>>
>>3943862
The way the Avatar delivers the "What's a paladin?" line is great.
>>
>>3943850
> gameplay is great

enjoy having no magic for most of the game if you pick a magic using class
>>
>>3943845

Spony please

go kill yourself, rat poison is cheap
>>
>>3943896
I played as mage since that was my class in 4 and had no troubles of that sort.
I'd say I used a lot more magic than in the other post-5 games.
>>
>>3943825
How were you able to finish the first three Ultima games? Which versions?
>>
>>3944793
I played the fan patched IBM/DOS versions but you may get more out of the FM Towns ports for 1 and 2.
>>
>>3943728
> what did Garriott mean
Reach for the brass ring. You aren't going to get it every time, but if you don't reach you'll get it none of the times.
> what did EA mean
The Ultima brand sold well, let's keep trying to move merchandise. And speed it up, we got a quartery report we want to pump up with this.
>>
File: u9_in_ultima-iii.png (12KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
u9_in_ultima-iii.png
12KB, 512x512px
What if I just reached over and....
>>
I find it funny how now if you don't like IX means Spoony told you it is bad. When this game was widely disliked long before Spoony even started his YT career.
And yes, IX is fucking horrible as an Ultima game. But you may still like it. There are far worse things out there. Like Ultima Online.
>>
>>3943728
Development was a huge mess. I don't remember all the details, sadly, but one I remember was that the plot was completely rewritten AFTER all the expensive pre-rendered FMVs had been made, so the new story had to sort of write "around" the FMVs so that they could still be used, incorporating elements from them that were originally for deleted story arcs.
>>
Reminder that Ultima 8 was literally the only good Ultima entry
>>
>>3945481
It can't be helped when most criticism is accompanied by parroted phrases and complete ignorance of the game.
>>
>>3945497
Clearly you weren't there for the release of 8, if you think criticism of the platforming is memeing.

And I own 9 and let me tell you, when this game came out it came out next to Baldur's Gate 2. It was never good for its time. The story makes no sense and jumps (you teleport to an underwater gargoyle dome with no warning on your way to Hythloth?!) and shit design that punishes you for exploring by chucking powerful monsters at you.
>>
>>3945497
8 was not a sandbox though. It was linear as fuck with only one hidden side quest. Unless you mean exploring that shitty underworld
>>
>>3945519
>punishes you for exploring by chucking powerful monsters at you.
If you mean things like the crystal golem they are challenges you can overcome.
BG2 came out nearly a year later and you can hardly compare them.
>>
>>3945524
It was the first game of its type to let you fully explore a 3D esque world which wasn't just a flat plain like previous Ultima entries

You can scree and scree all you want about muh SIDE QUESTS, but Ultima 8 is a good game that pushed boundaries and also has a killer art direction.
>>
>>3945519
I wouldn't have minded the platforming so much if:
1. The controls weren't completely fucked
2. You didn't automatically die upon touching water
3. It wasn't everything you get to do
I can only imagine the horror when the platforms moved and you had no quickload button.
>>
>>3945550
It's not a world, it's a series of tubes.
Underworld did it before and a lot better. 8 could have been made with the Underworld engine.

>also has a killer art direction.
The animations in 8 are nice but the game is too focused on them and you grow tired of them after a while.
>>
>>3945564
>It's not a world, it's a series of tubes.

durrr vice city isn't a world, it's an island!

>Underworld did it before and a lot better. 8 could have been made with the Underworld engine.

If wishes were fishes, the world would be an ocean - but it isn't and I'm happy with the Ultima 8 we got.
>>
>>3943728
>What did Richard Garriott mean by this?
"I've lost control of my life." - Richard Garriott
>>
>>3945481
>Like Ultima Online
Greatest mmorpg that actually innovated the genre.
>>
>>3943801
>pushed the boundaries of what was technically possible
Examples?
>>
>>3945637
U9 is actually one of the very first games with object physics.
>>
>>3945634
And buried Ultima franchise. I could've lived without mmorpg altogether, but with one or two more actually good Ultima games.
>>
>>3945660
That would be Ultima Underworld.

>>3945637
You've got a practically seamless, large 3D environment. Once you get control of the ship you can steer wherever you want, jump on and off at any spot.
It was way too much for computers of the time to properly handle.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.