[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tim Cain Becomes a Literal Faggot

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5

File: tim cain a literal faggot.jpg (16KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
tim cain a literal faggot.jpg
16KB, 480x360px
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/tim-cain-at-reboot-develop-2017-building-a-better-rpg-seven-mistakes-to-avoid.114809/

>Mistake #1 - Steep Learning Curves: Tim thinks character creation in Fallout, Arcanum and other RPGs was too complex. He's experimenting with creating a completely numberless character system that uses geometric shapes to visualize attributes.

>Mistake #2 - Letting Math Trump Psychology: Revealing the influence of the years he spent developing Wildstar, Tim wants to develop mechanics that are psychologically satisfying and addictive, even at the expense of mathematical elegance. For example, he says the player's first attack against an enemy should always hit even if his overall hit percentage is the same regardless, and that rather than allow players to increase their critical hit chance, they should only be allowed to increase their critical hit damage.

What happened?
>>
Fallout 1 > Fallout 2
>>
Well he's right to a certain extent. All the math that used to go in to games was there because it was the best way to simulate things at the time. Technology has improved immensely, so why are we still rolling hypothetical dice for things which can be implemented with much better models?
>>
ride the cain train
>>
File: Lyle_Lanley.png (135KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
Lyle_Lanley.png
135KB, 500x375px
>>3943741
I think you mean the Cain rail
>>
>>3943717
So, care to tell us why he's wrong?
>>
>>3943740
we have games like that..
>>
>>3943750
I hear those things are awfully loud.
>>
>>3943816
YOU'LL NEVER LEVEL IN MY GAME MY HINDU FRIEND
>>
It's literally true and anybody who has played (non-computer) RPGs extensively (as Cain obviously has) know that the numbers are not the essence of it, and one of the potential strengths of CRPGs is that they can be made invisible to the player. You can go back to playing J"RP"Gs if you want number autism.
>>
>>3943717
I don't remember thinking Fallout or Arcanum had super complex character creations or steep learning curves

and I'm pretty dumb
>>
>>3943861
Tim Cain is an old man - but age doesn't mean you actually know what's best (see: The Brexit vote)

You think John Carpenter could direct anything as good in his old age as he could in his youth?
>>
>>3943887
>and I'm pretty dumb
You are.

>>3943891
That still doesn't prove anything in relation to what he said in the article.
>>
> Tim thinks character creation in Fallout, Arcanum and other RPGs was too complex.

They're rather complex, but those games came with little books that explained how these systems worked, so it's not exactly clandestine.
>>
>>3944337
Fallout is pretty simple, you just spend points on attributes and select tags and traits.
Using GURPS as they had originally planned would have been far more complicated.
Even the ingame documentation is useful.
>>
>>3943891
But they voted correctly.
>>
>>3944337
>>3944345
Fallout was never complicated - and really, all you'd need to know is you're stepping into a hostile environment and plan accordingly

Arcanums true problem was never its stats system: It was the actual game
>>
>>3943717
There is nothing wrong with what he is saying. He is pretty obviously stating that action RPGs have don't things better in the past. Ie Gothic, Deus ex, Vtm:b etc. They have all provided much more immersive rp experiences than cRPGs ever have. Numbers =/= good game. Stop being autistic.
>>
File: memes.jpg (96KB, 591x762px) Image search: [Google]
memes.jpg
96KB, 591x762px
>>3943861
>You can go back to playing J"RP"Gs if you want number autism.

Sure thing
>>
>>3943740

Because then they wouldn't be RPGs.
>>
>>3945725
uh excuse me bitch
>>
>>3945654
The problem with Fallout was never the numbers themselves. It was that certain things should've been consolidated.

Also the fact that certain things ended up basically mandatory for a satisfying playthrough. You could've made Dumb a trait and gotten rid of Intelligence entirely. Because the SPECIAL scale only affected dialog options. You could have 1 LUCK but so long as you had 100 Gambling you could hold the $15 bet key down and generate cash.

The initial start has always been a bit of a lagging point for me in RPGs, and I've always sort of been dubious of the importance of it. Because you can just start players off with nothing and let skill development be organic within the game. And there it's important to not have competing systems. Because the skill book system in FO always made it feel like you were losing out if you invested in the skills they raised. Everything should work together.
>>
>>3945654
So we got game a) that has lots of stats and attributes that influence each other in different ways and are used in different situations

And then there's game b) that uses couple of stats for combat.

ok
>>
>>3943891
>(see: The Brexit vote)
Do you faggots have to force this topic into every conversation until the end of time?
>>
File: CddhGIfWoAAMyqg.jpg (105KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
CddhGIfWoAAMyqg.jpg
105KB, 600x800px
>>3943726
fpbp
>>
>>3945987
>>3943891
Yea can you pls stfu about that especially all that bollocks about how it was "older people who made the vote". It's not only a lie but it's also annoyingly whiney.
>>
crapspy is gay
>>
Who?
>>
>Tim thinks character creation in Fallout, Arcanum and other RPGs was too complex.

I understood these games when I was fucking 12, but they're 'too complex'?

Get a fucking grip, Tim.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.