[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>creates genre >remains the best entry in said genre despite

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 10

File: supermetroid.png (163KB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
supermetroid.png
163KB, 1680x1050px
>creates genre
>remains the best entry in said genre despite being 23 years old
>even Nintendo's own attempts at the genre after this were worse
Will there ever be such a masterpiece again? I swear, every other Metroidvania game I have played has just felt "Not Super Metroid/10". That doesn't mean they aren't good of course, there are some fantastic entries in the genre besides SM, but none have seem to have done it quite as well. AM2R was a very good attempt though.
>>
File: 1476330436377.png (6KB, 320x288px) Image search: [Google]
1476330436377.png
6KB, 320x288px
>>3942484
>creates genre
>sequel to game with the same gameplay
>>
Technically Maze of Galious came first with the Metroidvania concept.
>>
>>3942493
It really isn't though. Metroid 1 and 2 are very different entities. Metroid 2 is ungodly linear, and Metroid 1 has essentially no item progression.
>>
>Me 27 never played a metroidvania game before
>Play Super Metroid, Symphony of the Night, and Axiom Verge back to back.
Axiom Verge is better than SM. I don't have any nostalgia for SM, so I am objective.
>>
File: riddler.jpg (27KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
riddler.jpg
27KB, 640x480px
>>3942484
>creates genre
>because muh blue map screen
Why do these threads always pretend there wasn't already a Metroid game, nor Castlevania II
>>
>>3942484
Bad map design. There's no bigger pain in the ass than forgetting an item on lower Norfair and having to go back. Super Metroid needed teleporters.
>>
>>3942502
>Metroid 2
>thread is about Metroid 3
>>
>>3942508
but axiom verge wasn't even good
your opinions aren't non-opinions just because they're new
>>
>"Metroidvania" becomes a catch-all term for any game that vagely lets you visit old areas/levels
>Very few actual Metroidvanias where non-linearity and inter-connectivity play major roles in gameplay
>>
>>3942519
Because they're started by underages who just barely heard about things from youtube.
>>
>>3942643
this
>>
Even that one egg dude had elements of exploration and backtracking.
Super Metroid invented "Super Metroid" and that's it
>>
>>3942798
Shit, that reminded me that they just released that new Dizzy rom.
>>
>>3942508
>Be 27
>Be a contrarian
>Axiom Verge is better!
>>
>>3942640
>>3941710
>>
>>3942626

It's okay anon, but since you can't read, maybe you shouldn't post.
>>
>>3942484
First of all, super metroid is metroid THREE. Meaning it didn't invent jack shit.

Second, SotN was the first "metroidvania", which fyi literally means a castlevania game with metroid elements.

Also, there's plenty of sidescrolling action adventure games that are at least as good as SM. Get over it.
>>
>>3942897

Amazing.

Everything in this post is wrong. Like, factually.
>>
File: Axiom.png (174KB, 616x353px) Image search: [Google]
Axiom.png
174KB, 616x353px
>>3942484
Axiom Verge is better than Super Metroid. It's a love letter to Super Metroid but its better than it.
>>
>>3942930

>Those boss fights
>That final boss
>That awful dialog
>Story that shits the bed half way through
>That bit in the middle once you get the lab coat that totally destroys the pacing
>One of the worst final bosses in a video game

Don't get me wrong, I loved Axiom Verge and it does a lot of really cool things. But it's got a lot of flaws that make its quality kind of inconsistent
>>
>>3942921
Explain
The only part of that post I disagree with is the last, but that's because it's an opinion
>>
>>3942948
The story is pretty awful and you sort of get to many verbs that sometimes you forget how to get past obstacles.

But its better than Super Metroid gameplay wise. Its a extremely fun game and it really shines on the WiiU where there is a second screen that has the map constantly visible.
>>
>>3942508
>Be nintenperson nominally because I own their consoles excusively.
>At the same time being a pcfag and a early adopter of every emulator post-1995
>Never understand the love people has for nintendo games.
I don't know if Axiom Verge is even good, but it would be hard to be less interesting than Super Metroid.
>>
>>3942953

Because a game being in a series has nothing to do with whether it "invented" anything.

Because SotN did not invent the genre.

Because his definition of what an Metroidvania is is very much factually wrong.

Really what this boils down to is that, more than anything, genre indicates who a work is for or what the people making that work were drawing from/building on top of. If you actually think Metroid 1 is comparable to Super Metroid (and I am not talking about some kind of quality rating) then you've never played it.
>>
>>3942890
Sounds like Street Fighter 2
>>
>>3942484
>AM2R was a very good attempt though.
>people really delude them selves with this
>>
>>3942930
I heard it was really short, which is the only reason I haven't picked it up yet.

>>3942921
He does have a point that SM doesn't fundamentally do a ton that 1 and 2 didn't.

I think it's funny we got stuck with the term Metroidvania when Simon's Quest was essentially the same ideas and made around the same time as Metroid 1.

I also think it's funny that we will never know who actually coined the term since both Scott Sharkey and Jeremy Parish claim to hate it and blame the other.
>>
>>3943285
What was up with AM2R?
>>
>>3942501

Technically tiered level exploration especially Nintendo's flavor of it, isn't really a genre-defining feature.
>>
>>3943721

Or y'know, Vampire Killer did the same thing and predates both.
>>
File: baraduke.png (2MB, 850x1190px) Image search: [Google]
baraduke.png
2MB, 850x1190px
>creates genre
Metroid wasn't even an original idea applied on an already established genre.
>>
>>3943737
It's just a straight arcade style action platformer though. Not a semi open-world exploration based platformer. They are pretty different.

Just saying I think it's a funny term.
>>
>>3943752

Yeah my bad I forget in VK you can't actually go backwards.
>>
File: 1400899791465.jpg (316KB, 1608x1796px) Image search: [Google]
1400899791465.jpg
316KB, 1608x1796px
I know this is heresy and no one else on earth will agree with me, but I actually think Super Metroid is a bad game.

>Samus controls like a boat, making the platforming miserable
>almost no real freedom of exploration, because the game hides everything behind equipment unlocks, making it extremely linear
>the music is really repetitive and bland
>the first 20 minutes are the definition of "story over gameplay", and to make matters worse the story is stupid
>map design is really boring, and literally everything looks the same

If you like games with backtracking, there are much better examples, like Doom. Other than the powerups, which are cool I guess, I don't really see what people like about Super Metroid.
>>
>>3943769
>that image
Porting it to modern platforms was a mistake, modern gamers will never appreciate it, they aren't interested in figuring things out, they can't think.

>the music is really repetitive and bland
You take that back
>>
>>3943769

Jesus Christ the game even tells you how to plant bombs and hints to use them to blow shit up in your path.
>>
>>3943769
you shut your goddang whoremouth
>>
File: rabi ribi.png (381KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
rabi ribi.png
381KB, 512x512px
sorry bro, rabi ribi is king of metroidvania
>>
>>3942484
Cave Story is better
>>
>>3943769
>Samus controls like a boat
really? i always found the controls to be tight and satisfactory
>>
>>3943782
true but not retro
>>
>>3943782
Damn you, I thought that was an offshoot of Rabi Laby till I looked it up.
>>
>>3943735
Technically, you're a faggot.
>>
>>3942508

I'm 26 turning 27 in August, and I played Super for the first time in February, and you are completely fucking objectively wrong. You might prefer axiom verge and that's fine, but the level design in Super is what makes it so timeless. Axiom had a shit map in comparison.
>>
>>3943729
no atmosphere, shit sound design, piss easy, etc...
>>
>>3943769
>map design is really boring, and literally everything looks the same

>samus controls like a boat

Did we even play the same game?
>>
Metroid II > Super Metroid
>>
>>3942508
Hey anon i am also 27 and beat those games the last 3 years and Super Metroid is one of the best games i have ever played.
No nostalgia so i am objective too.
Leveldesign, atmosphere, detail, replayvalue it has anything. From begin to the end its probably the most complete game i have played until now.

I cant help it with symphony of the night but i like aria of sorrow the most.
>>
>>3943769
Super Metroid is great but I can only enjoy it with the GBA physics patch. Now that's a real bliss to play.
>>
>>3942484
>I swear, every other Metroidvania
Metroid ain't a metroidvania.
>>
>>3943884
>>3943789

After playing the GBA games I have trouble playing Super. Samus controls better in Fusion and a LOT better in Zero Mission.

The controls in Zero Mission are fucking butter.
>>
>>3945265
Fusion ruined wall jumping with its physics. ZM at least handled that correctly.
>>
>>3942484

What about Metroid Prime? It's not Super Metroid but its the game that came the closest.
>>
File: Shit was so cash.jpg (30KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
Shit was so cash.jpg
30KB, 480x360px
>>3942930
ESA was better than AV though
>>
AM2R perfected Samus movement.
Tried to go back to beat Super Metroid again but the controls just are too dull sluggish and delayed.
>>
>>3942484
>>creates genre
nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivHFP3dJAkM
>>
>>3943769
I agree with you 100% every point you made was objective undeniable fact, evident by the only the fact that the only backlash/arguments you got was bland substance-less shitposting
>>
>>3945673
"creating a genre" doesn't mean that the game is the first in that style, but that it was the first successfull and influencial enough that a genre name came out of it.

It's like Resident Evil and Survival Horror. RE1 created the genre, but in retroaspect many other games before it were the same, though NOBODY would call Alone In The Dark "survival horror" before 1996 because it's RE1 which "created the genre", they'd have called it action-adventure.
>>
>>3945697
Although I'll give you that: that still doesn't make of Super Metroid the "creator" of "Metroidvania", because that's forgetting the "vania" part.
>>
>>3942484

SOTN is better.
>>
File: 1492790679920.webm (3MB, 636x486px) Image search: [Google]
1492790679920.webm
3MB, 636x486px
Anyone got sauce on this ?
>>
>>3942484
Symphony of the night
Thread posts: 63
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.