[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What determines if you beat a game? What about 100%'ing?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 8

File: TheEND.jpg (42KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
TheEND.jpg
42KB, 500x375px
>>
You don't beat a game unless you play on legit hardware.
>>
>>3942128
I meant more like what makes you keep playing, and what makes you drop it.
>>
I'd say 100% clear without any cheats, warps, or functions not afforded to you by the game itself (as in, no save-stating, slow motion, or Game Genie).

For arcade games, 1CC or whatever other in-game requirements are presented to receive the true ending.
>>
>>3942131
What about difficulty settings?
>>
>>3942128
My PC is pretty legit, so I've got that covered.
>>
In SMW's case it's the little star that appears besides the 96 number on the file select screen (or the 96 turns blue if you're PAL, or nothing if you're japanese, you keep getting good at the game until you beat the ultimate kaizo hack)
>>
>>3942193
Emulators will never count as the real thing. You're only having a fake victory.
>>
>>3942217
Is this the hot new bait for the month?
>>
I beat a game if i get to the end.
If i'm really good at a game, i don't beat it until i get 100% or 110% or whatever hidden score means i've done everything there is to do in the game.
>>
>>3942229
this meaning i don't cheat in any way with save states or cheats. the fuck is the point?
>>
you beat a game when you get the end screen, most older retro games have no 100%. Using warps and other ingame cheats such as konamicode is fine
>>
>>3942235
You can't just post shit like this here. It triggers all the little kiddos desperate for peer acceptance and elite gamer cred on anonymous imageboards.
>>
The 100% ending isn't canon so who cares...
>>
>>3942235

You beat a game when you ge to the post- end score board screen and enter ASS in 1st place
>>
>>3942262
>not FUK

degenerate.
>>
>>3942264
>>3942262
>not AAA
weak
>>
File: 1450664597445.png (153KB, 356x467px) Image search: [Google]
1450664597445.png
153KB, 356x467px
>>3942223
seems pretty fishy.
>>
File: 1483517173759s.jpg (2KB, 112x125px) Image search: [Google]
1483517173759s.jpg
2KB, 112x125px
>>3942217
>>3942223
>>3942664
Very fishy indeed
>>
>>3942262
>>3942264
>not SEX
>>
>>3942127
Beating a game and 100%'ing are two different things to me. You can beat a game without 100%'ing it, it's just a sort of extra thing to do if you really like a game.
>>
>>3942223

>he's never seen the "if you beat it via emulation you didn't actually beat it" maymay
>>
You stop playing the game when it stops being fun.
>>
>>3942185
I'd say whatever the game considers the normal difficulty and higher is beating it.
>>
>>3942217
Your "no true Scotsman" fallacy isn't going to invalidate my achievements.
>>
For me most games stop being fun about 90% trough the game so I take the final part of the game completely satisfied and I am glad to beat it. 100% completion is just autism, you invest a lot of time for minimal gain. Only the best games that I replay countless of times I will attempt to complete.
>>
You have not truly beat a game until you can:
100% the game without getting hit(where applicable), have accessed all dummied-out and obfuscated content, understand all references and groundwork the developers used, live the life of every developer, no matter how small their role- for at least one week(each), can accurately dream of and beat the game in dreams, and you can code the game from scratch, then maybe, MAYBE, you have truly beat the game.
>>
>>3943313
If you have not sucked off at least half the dev team how can you say you have beaten the game?
>>
>>3942127
>What determines if you beat a game?

Whether I still feel like playing it or not.
>>
>>3942268

I didn't waste a month's allowance in the machine to then input something meaningless, anon. I finally made it so now I want my reward in that people will now in attract mode see my bad bad word every few seconds.

But if the machine did not block it, then ASS would probably be in first place already anyway
>>
You beat the game when you get to the ending screen.

The autism in this thread is astonishing.
>>
>>3942217
yeah ordering pizza to your home gives you fake pizza, you must go to pizzeria and eat the pizza there
>>
>>3943531

food analogy >> every other analogy

Analogies not related to food will never count as the real thing. You're only having a fake analogy.
>>
File: 235254254.gif (2MB, 300x261px) Image search: [Google]
235254254.gif
2MB, 300x261px
>>3943531
kek
>>
>>3943531
Your analogy implies gamefly doesn't exist.
>>
>>3943547

>using gamefly
>ever

I had a sensible chuckle.
>>
watch the ending on youtube.
>>
>>3942217
While bait in general, I usually don't give real credit to those that beat hard games on an emulator. Invariably, they save scummed. But, does it really matter? As long as someone had fun.

To OP: Reach a positive end state on any allowable difficulty without cheats or hacks. 100% (max difficulty with no deaths) is a separate catagory of achievement. I'd consider that mastering a game.
>>
File: d14.jpg (20KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
d14.jpg
20KB, 400x300px
>>3942217
>>
>>3942127
I try to beat every game I play. Very few I will outright give up on, though I give it about a 15 minute window. If it's obvious that soon I definitely won't like it or it's too hard I won't even commit to it. But everything else I have almost a need to finish. Very rarely ever do 100%s though since they're mostly just time sinks.
>>
100% means to trip every permanent flag and max out all counters.
>>
>>3942235
>Using warps is fine
Yes

>and other ingame cheats such as konami code
No

If you have to put in a code you're not playing it as intended.
>>
For me my first play of any game is always natural, I don't use cheats or walkthroughs at all. The 2nd time I play I will get 100% of everything completed or items etc etc sometimes if its a RPG I will only do certain magics or attacks or no heals only pots
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (9KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
9KB, 480x360px
You've haven't beaten a game unless you sit through the end credits.
>>
>>3943707
>Invariably, they save scummed.
but what if they didn't?
>>
>>3942127
I beat Tetris once.
Back in high school, summer between 9th and 10th grade, I had an original Gameboy and only three games. After having beaten Super Mario Land and Kirby's Dreamland a few times, I just sat around playing Tetris for hours, for days on end. It doesn't actually keep speeding up indefinitely, the speed levels off after about 20 or so, so if you can handle level 20, it's not hard to get to level 99. I didn't do it on purpose, I was just THAT bored.
But one day I was playing for who-knows-how-long, the level counter had been at 99 for who-knows-how-long, and suddenly I heard a POP and a little wisp of white smoke came from the top of the cartridge and the game shut off. At first I thought my Game Boy had overheated, but when my other cartridges still worked I realized what had actually happened:
I HAD BEATEN TETRIS TO DEATH.
>>
>>3942127
reach the credits without cheating
>>
>>3946881
Sometimes it takes more than that.
RE2, for example, required reaching the credits four times. Maybe five. I don't remember if the credits roll after Hunk's scenario. And eight total if you want to unlock Tofu (six plays on one save file to unlock Tofu, plus two for the opposite scenario ending). I don't even know if Tofu's scenario causes a credit roll. I used to be pretty good at Hunk's scenario, but never mastered using Tofu. So if Hunk and Tofu get credit rolls, that would mean reaching the credits 10 times to have completed the game. That's not even counting Ex Battle Mode on the Dual Shock version.
>>
If you don't unlock all the achievements then you didn't beat the game
>>
>>3942127

Beat the game
Beat the game and also have gone through both of its secret levels (the secret level, and the super secret one).

For example SMB 3 - fight through all 8 worlds. Then next time use the warp whistles. And at least one time, you need to use all the warp whistles so you can jump right to 8.

There's also treasure completion, im thinking RE4 with this one. Getting all the gems and pieces just right, and sell all of them to the arms dealer. For games like Xcom its tech tree completion, even if you beat the game, its not quite beaten enough until you've gotten all the techs/skills and used them in some way.

There's various other glits and glamour that can be found in games - SotN's Crissaegrim, the laser cannon in RE4...

But ultimately the game is beat and thats the outer limits of what many games can offer up.

My estimation nails down the point of diminishing returns, at which point the only way you're going to achieve further completion is by getting into parts of the game that are truly hard to encounter without chance or hard effort. Which means those things are only there to be found because somebody took the time to add them on top of an already finished product (they might as well not be there).

>>3942131
I would second this, but there are some nightmare hard games that I just dont care for but I love their story - so I use these features to achieve "story mode" and just get to see the end and the sights along the way.

Those games that dont have an easy difficulty setting.
>>
>>3947072

For example while I generally consider myself to have beaten Diablo 2... I havent beaten the game with all of the character classes yet.

Thats a Skill/Tech completion thing. But it will forever remain unbeaten along those lines because I truly dont give a fuck about some classes (ahem, necromancer and amazon) which means im not going to utilize their full skill tree.

There's also some skills for the other classes that I never cared about either to trick out... barbarian's potion and item finding shit... paladin's hammer... sorceress (lightning)

I dont consider the set items or runes to be completion stuff, thats the trickle that comes after diminishing returns. And having multiple versions of the same set item come up makes me laugh when the game should have a -divert- built into it (if you have a set item already, the next time you get it, it should randomly give you a different item for that set). Same with unique items, I mean they're unique, why am I finding more than one of them...

Also with that game I consider Nightmare difficulty to be the secret level and hell difficulty to be the super secret level. Since I wanted more content or different rearranging of maps, and I just got the same things leveled up to match my new abilities. Not really new parts of the game, the entire difficulty was sorta just a secret level.

But I beat Diablo 2 hell difficulty, so as far as im concerned I beat that game by my initial logic.
>>
>>3942127
There's an autistic kid on the internet who's the ultimate authority on what determines if you beat a game. I'm sure it's here in this thread and will share it's wisdom with you.
>>
File: 16-ocean-front-combo.jpg (48KB, 550x412px) Image search: [Google]
16-ocean-front-combo.jpg
48KB, 550x412px
>>3943531
This pizza I downloaded sure hits the spot! Care for a slice, anon?
>>
>>3942217
Agreed.

Not INB4 PC Mastur Race 4 Eva emulates everything with a 20mhz and under chip perfectly.

They are totally forgetting:

Save State
Load State x 20
Save State
etc.

Look Mommy I beat Battletoads.
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.