[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

repair/fix general?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4

File: dk3.png (2MB, 1165x1304px) Image search: [Google]
dk3.png
2MB, 1165x1304px
i have this copy of donkey kong country 3 but it doesn't work at all, it just shows a black screen, anybody have any idea whats going on? I tried cleaning the contacts and nothing.
>>
>>3942005
Do other games work?
>>
>>3942005
Pic is blurry. Use hi-res potato for taking pic.
>>
Hard to tell with the blur, but the contacts on the rear still seem suspiciously dirty. Have you tried taking an eraser to them yet?
>>
File: dk3 nonpotato.jpg (4MB, 3226x4000px) Image search: [Google]
dk3 nonpotato.jpg
4MB, 3226x4000px
>>3942009
yes
>>3942041
>>3942048
heres a way better photo, i already tried cleaning the pins with an eraser and rubbing alcohol, do i just need to use something stronger?
>>
>>3942226
Aside from the contacts being a bit dirty, some of those traces near the bottom look sketchy. Bottom pic third from the left for example.
>>
>>3942437
i think you're right, i'll fix them and try it again
>>
>>3942767
As the other anon said, the traces seem to be corroded. Get a multimeter and check continuity from the edge connector pins to where they are connected.
If one isnt connected anymore scrape away the soldermask above the edge connected and solder a jumper wire to wherever its supposed to be connected.
If you've checked all of them and they are all fine go ahead and reflow the ICs.
>>
>>3942226
No wonder. That's corrosion if I ever saw it. What you wanna do it get a razor blade and gently scrape it away.
>>
File: dk3g.jpg (312KB, 1200x900px)
dk3g.jpg
312KB, 1200x900px
>>3942782
>>3942775
>>3942437
i tested all the contacts with a multimeter and the 7th one on the back wasn't making a connection so i soldered a jumper wire and it worked, thanks anons
>>
>>3942880
No prob. Nice to see you got it working again!
>>
>>3942005

I'm new to /vr/, but taking things apart, soldering, replacing ROMS, and servicing old PCBs looks like such a chill hobby, it's making me want to buy an old system just to tinker with things.

Any good Youtube channels that explains the basics of individual console maintenance?
>>
>>3944448
I liked watching gametechus's videos of him repairing stuff from junk ebay lots. Not sure where else to look for those kind of videos.
>>
>>3942005
Try tilting the cartridge back (push it backwards with your hand) before switching on the SNES. This usually creates a better contact between the console and cart. If it still doesn't work the cart is probably fucked.
>>
>>3944553
Try reading the full thread.
>>
Just wondering if anyone would know what would cause a game to produce corrupted backgrounds.

The game "works" fine but backgrounds will sometimes become messed up with the sprites turning into line strips and appearing in places where they aren't suppose to.

Usually the background loads in fine but after moving around a bit the background some starts to get messed up
>>
I was having problems with an NES. Essentialy the power light will flicker on and off, and the television screen would flash a solid green color. Looked it up, and most places said it was the 72 pin connector. I replaced it, but I'm still having the same problem. Anyone know what is up? It does it with no games inserted as well, and I made sure to clean everything with alcohol. Also read that it could be the lockout chip.
>>
>>3945118
The lockout chip only tends to do that when you have a out-of-region game, but I guess that at this point it can't help to try and disable it. It's as simple as snipping away a single contact pin. Google to find out which one.
>>
>>3945118
I would buy a blinking light win. Haven't had any issues with reading NES carts unless they were dirty.
>>
>>3945127
>>3945236
I removed the 4th pin on the lockout chip, and now I just get a solid colored screen. Maybe the games I'm using are faulty.
>>
>>3945127
>>3945247
I hate when people tell people to disable the lock out chip as if it's some sort of miracle cure.

Always fucking clean the pin connector and games FIRST before pulling the 4th pin on the CIC. 90% of the time it's the games have been blown in by kids thinking that shit helps. What it does is turns the contacts BLACK over the years.

Get a game bit, open your games, and clean the contacts. Clean the 72 pin connector and be thankful you didn't rip a trace off the board.
>>
>>3944448
It's a nice hobby but good tools are going to run you a bit. That said, once you invest in them they last years unlike some Chinese knock off stuff.
>>
File: 20170424_223404.jpg (1MB, 2560x1440px)
20170424_223404.jpg
1MB, 2560x1440px
Repair General?

Ok... some good news, i was able to find and fix the problem with my N64 carts, both had a trace broken. and now they work fine, however...

pic related is the best soldering job i could do, ive tried to solder upper into the PCB but solder didnt want to stick so i had to use the top of the pins that go into the cart slot, so my question is.

Is this going to be a problem? how deep into the cart slot do the PCBs go? is there a risk of damaging the cart slot or breaking the cable i use to fix the carts?
>>
>>3945314
the top one looks iffy. if you want you can try and trace back to another point and connect it there.

as far as how deep they go, yes those connections will be touching the pin connector. Now that you know the problem you could get some smaller wire and jump it that way so not all that solder is required.
>>
>>3945318

i couldnt find a way to solder to the trace upper into the board, fucking solder didnt want to stick to the thin trace.

Do you have any pic of how to fix broken traces in a clean way?
>>
>>3945341
Did you use flux? You should be using flux to make it stick easier.

I don't have a board in front of me to see where the trace are suppose to go.
>>
>>3945350
>Did you use flux?

yes i did. and scratched the board to expose the trace of course.
>>
>>3945357
one way you could help the problem is some solder wick and leave just the bare minimum on there to make a connection.
>>
Any Ausfags here? I'm looking for a reputable SuperCIC modder for my SNES
>>
So Retrobrite will take the yellow out of your console, but only for a little while, and might make the plastic more brittle? Why would anyone bother with that then?
>>
>>3945445
Depends on the plastic. Some don't respond to retrobrite because it yellows for different reasons. It will only work on plastics that yellow due to bromine fire retardant and if the console yellows again the here's some advice, quit leaving it in the fucking sun you mongoloid.
>>
>>3944703
check the connection with the chips to the circuit board
>>
>>3944448
>>3944471
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjNptkIQQgSC17W-oobhQ_A
this guy does some repair videos of old stuff
>>
>>3945314

>solder didn't want to stick

That's what flux is for
>>
On my NES games work when left up in the unlocked position, but pushing them down causes me to get a solid screen and blinking power light. I've heard leaving them in the up position is better anyway, but is this something I need to worry about?
>>
>>3948881
Your NES most likely has an aftermarket 72 pin connector.
Those are often a lot tighter than oem ones and don't wanna work when pushed down so nothing to worry about.
>>
>>3945314
Use kynar wire. It's very fine, but it's perfect for simple data lines like this.
Loop the end of the wire (make a small u shape) and place a small dab of solder on it, and the place you want to solder it to. Then brush both with some flux, and solder it into place.

You can make a mechanically sound connection with very little solder, especially since you'll be sealing it inside a case where it should never be moved.

Also, clean corroded areas and brush them over with nail polish to seal and protect them.
>>
I just got a 32x for my Genesis system with Everdrive.

It didn't come with the video cable that fits the 32x to TV, only the 32x to Genesis cable.

I decided to test it out to see if the Everdrive would work in the 32x and it does. The only thing is cannot power off the system.

Reset works, but the power button doesn't do anything. How do I turn off my system? Can I just unplug it?
>>
>>3945314
Did you even try to solder to the top of the connector?
>>
>>3945359
It'd also help not to use such a huge ass wire.
Every heard of kynar? Magnet wire is also pretty good for some applications that need extremely fine wiring and you don't even have to strip it.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.