[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Starcraft Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 5

File: StarCraft.jpg (43KB, 638x300px) Image search: [Google]
StarCraft.jpg
43KB, 638x300px
Do we really not have a Brood Wars thread?

Thanks to it going free and I started up Starcraft for the time since 2005 or 2006, holy hell has it aged well. Runs and plays as smoothly and intuitively as ever, and the Terran campaign still feels comfy. Love the voice work and overall atmosphere.

Anyone else re-visiting the game? Just as fun as you remember?
>>
>>3941683
I heard Blizzard was making it free. Is battle.net free too? Can you LAN? Any stipulations?
>>
File: tuesday night match.jpg (185KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
tuesday night match.jpg
185KB, 1920x1080px
>>3941683

Afreecatv Season 3 is in full swing. Next match is on Tuesday 5pm KST. Full English commentary by Tastosis as always.

Note: It's AF-Reeka, not "Africa".
>>
>>3941683
Re-visiting it as well thanks to that new patch. The game sure aged well, and somehow I got worse at it. The music keeps me gong just like back in the day.

For those interested, the installers (they download and install the whole thing)
Win:
https://battle.net/download/getInstallerForGame?os=WIN&version=LIVE&gameProgram=STARCRAFT
Mac:
https://battle.net/download/getInstallerForGame?os=MAC&version=LIVE&gameProgram=STARCRAFT
>>
>>3941698
Yeah, battle net is a just their free launcher system like steam for their games and brood wars is totally free.
>>3941709
Thanks man.

Unrelated, but the way Raynor greets you with the 'Hey man' is waaay too fuckin genuine. Like they recorded a line or two from the voice actor just having a regular conversation outside recording hours.
>>
>>3941683
How can one RTS have such based
>Story
>Gameplay
>Music
>Aesthetic
And yet, everything else related to the series be so fucking bad?
>>
>>3941719
>Story
Based pre-WoW Metzen.
>Gameplay
The engine and pathing being shit is what made the game.
>Music
Based Glenn Stafford. Terran music is GOAT.
>Aesthetic
2D sprite RTS is always objectively better than 3D, no exceptions.
>And yet, everything else related to the series be so fucking bad?
Starcraft 2 happened
>>
>>3941752
I enjoyed WoL but the other two fell flat imo
>>
File: Marine_SC2_Head4.jpg (102KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
Marine_SC2_Head4.jpg
102KB, 960x720px
>>3941752
Metzen had some good moments post World of Warcraft. Only problem was that those moments were pretty few and far between, and stuff like Warlords of Draenor were such massive blights on his projects.
>>
Any reason to play this when the remastered version is coming soon?
>>
>>3942218
It's free.
>>
>>3942218
Remastered is DLC for this, so you'll be getting this regardless.
>>
File: nature.jpg (162KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
nature.jpg
162KB, 1080x1080px
>>3942218
>>3942281
Aye, the base full game is free, but we don't know what the remaster will cost. Can't imagine it would be over $30, though. Probably $20.
>>
>>3941958
In a few years Legion will be his blight and people will look back fondly on WOD. When WOD was out people said Panda was his blight and it goes on.
>>
>>3942703
That isn't at all how they are doing it.

SC/BW are free games for anyone to download and play, with updated compatibility and battlenet.

Remastered is two remastered games, as if that needs explanation, that will be charged as stand alone games and launched from the Blizzard launcher.

>>3943535
I expect it to be $30. Blizzard seems to have tossed a lot of manpower into the remasters.
>>
nah
>>
>>3943548
Pandaria was fine, WoD was pretty bad, and Legion was pretty bad.

Don't let the easily hyped minority give you the wrong idea of the ((overall)) community reception of the expansions.
>>
File: not supposed to happen face.jpg (257KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
not supposed to happen face.jpg
257KB, 1920x1080px
>>3941704

>his smile and optimism: gone
>>
>>3943568
To be fair, that's how he looks most of the time.
>>
>>3941958

he pretty much stopper writing any war lore before warlords

now is alex taking care of it,and he SUCKS
>>
>>3943552
No, dude.
Brood War is an expansion for StarCraft, not a separate game. An add-on. DLC. Etc.
Remastered is the same thing. It's DLC for the original game. It's not separate at all and the developers of Remastered have clarified this:
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/brood-war/520464-an-interview-with-the-devs-of-starcraft-remastered
>Players will be able to connect and play, watch replays, or share saved games seamlessly between free Brood War, and the SC:R upgrade. It’s all the same client! Each player and observer in the game can opt to play in standard or high def individually, and you can switch instantly and seamlessly at the press of a button right inside the game or while watching a replay.
The key words here are "Same Client." StarCraft and Brood War use the same client. StarCraft, Brood War, and Remastered will all use the same client as well.
>>
>tfw the patch brood war and now my toaster laptop is too shit to play a 20 year old game.

I hate this.
>>
>>3941715
Despite being ex train robbing space cowboy, he's also a bro, so much that even protoss are like dude, this guy is awesome. He's supposed to be the sum of what a good Terran is. Same with Tassadar and Zeratul. Fuck Kerrigan though, I may main zerg but #notmyqueen.
>>
>>3944185
>Got the PTR the moment it released
>deal with the bugs and mouse issues
>keep updating
>it goes live, uninstall and delete old stuff, install fresh 1.18
>after updating, the game no longer works, won't run or anything
>uninstall, delete everything, mount ISO's and reinstall off discs
>patch to 1.17

I'll go back to this once they finally get it stable and fully functional. I have no reason to upgrade until then, since 1.17 works just fine under 7.
>>
>>3944242
OpenGL error? Shit is lame as fuck. Supposedly they're working on a fix but said it's not a priority.
>>
>>3944253
Something about a missing .dll I think it was.
>>
>>3944276
wintrust.dll

I tried running it in compatibility mode for XP after getting the openGL error and then got that too.
>>
>>3944185
>>3944242
switching to OpenGL was a mistake
>>
The old battle.net servers are actually active again, its pretty crazy how many people are popping back in. I'd already been getting back into the game after finally dropping SC2 for good, b.net servers were dead as fuck, but private servers were goin strong.

Real fun game, hope they patch in changing hotkeys soon. Even the limited version in the PTR they had before 1.18 release was real nice to play with, game can be a pain in the ass with some of these default keys.
>>
>>3944914
I thought the old servers were dead and that they were using new servers now?
>>
>>3944917
Well, the servers are (mostly) named just like the old ones, US West, East, Europe, etc.

Accounts didn't transfer over, but who gives a fuck.
>>
>>3944917
I believe that if the servers are changing it will be with the release of the Remaster.
>>
>>3945020
Wait, they didn't transfer over? Why not? Haven't had a chance to try out the new patch but I hope that isn't the case.
>>
>>3944831
>switching to OpenGL was a mistake

It's not OpenGL's mistake the port was handled by some incompetent interns paid in coke and pizzas.
>>
>>3948196
In their defense I imagine they aren't going to cater to people with super potato PCs regarding a game that released in 1999.
>>
>>3941683
great game
>>
>>3941683
What's this game about?
>>
>>3950415
If you're serious, it's a science fiction RTS game made by Blizzard in the late 90s. It is free to play as of right now, so there's nothing stopping you from trying it.
>>
>>3943548
He actually doesn't have much to do with Legion. He was retiring before it even launched since the Shaman quests made that obvious.
>>
>>3950415
Space hicks.
>>
>>3951638
Why would I play some old game lol.
>>
>>3950415
>what people who don't pay attention to the story says it's about
three races that all hate each other

>what it's actually about
Zerg vs Protoss with the Occasional humans who hate other humans more than the aliens
>>
>>3950415
3 very different playing factions that is somehow very well balanced. Funky game engine somehow improves the game.
Terrans are humans like the space marines in Aliens, Protoss are the smart warrior aliens like the Predators and the Zerg like the Xenomorphs from Aliens that swarm and spit acid.
>>
>>3953052
Tiberium wars sounds better.
>>
>>3941683
>aged well

Hahaha
There's no need to be so fucking delusional.

But then again this is /vr/ that we're talking about.
>>
>>3953149
Yet you don't offer any kind of counter argument.

Even if I gave you an hour you wouldn't be able to come up with anything coherent.
>>
>>3944914
Do you have to use a new battle.net sign in for Starcraft, or can you just use the one for the launcher?
>>
trying to play this
and the windows taskbar will not go away. It just stays on screen.
>>
>>3944148
Any word on the campaign editor? I'm making a gigantic single player map and it would be cool if that got updated as well.
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.