[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mario - The Whole Goddamn Thing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 7

I want to play and beat the whole "main" Mario series, up to and including Odyssey.

Is there any official statement on what counts as part of the "main series?"

Do Donkey Kong/Donkey Kong Jr. (please say no; I don't want to play them all the way to the kill screen)? What about the Land games?

Should I count SMB2, SMB2JP, or both?
>>
>>3941676
>Super Mario Bros 2
Actually, Super Mario Bros. 2 was actually originally a game called donkey donkey picnic, and it had nothing to do with mario at all!
>>
I guess all of the main Mario games have "Super Mario" in the title.
>>
A long time ago, I heard that Ice Climber actually began as a prototype for SMB1, so it counts if that story is true.
>>
>>3941676
>Super Mario
>Platformer
Those should be your criterion. Fair warning, the more recent entries (excluding 3D World) have been pretty fucking lame.
>>
I THINK this is right, OP.

Feel free to correct me, /vr/.

>Super Mario Bros.
>Super Mario Bros. Special (play the version that's a ROM hack of SMB1)
>Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels
>Super Mario Bros. 3
>Super Mario Land
>Super Mario World
>Super Mario Bros. 2
>Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins
>Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3
>Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
>Super Mario 64
>Super Mario Sunshine
>New Super Mario Bros.
>Super Mario Galaxy
>New Super Mario Bros. Wii
>Super Mario Galaxy 2
>Super Mario 3D Land
>New Super Mario Bros. 2
>New Super Mario Bros. U
>Super Mario 3D World
>Super Mario Odyssey
>>
>>3941720
The New series is actually good in terms of mechanics, level design, etc. They just feel generic because they use the same art style for all the entries, instead of /vr/ Mario games where each had their own distinct feel.
The graphics and music aren't actually bad either, and I really liked galaxy (haven't played its sequel) and 3D Land. And even if I'm defending New, I actually never finished the first 2, got bored in between and felt like I'd just rather play SMB3. For some reason I completed and enjoyed NSMB2, which is the one everybody hates the most. In fact I still haven't found some of the secret levels.
A weird thing though is that you can't throw shells and other objects up like you could in SMW, they go back to SMB3's grab and throw mechanic where you can only kick sideways.
They do add some cool stuff like wall jumping like in Mega Man X.
>>
>>3941732
this.

If you go for ultra-completionist you could add the

>e-reader levels for Super Mario Bros Advance 4 (which is otherwise just a port of Super Mario Bros 3)

Also Mario Maker has a few official levels.
>>
>>3941737
The New series isn't bad, I actually really like NSMB and NSMBWii. 2 is just excessively gimmicky, and to be honest, I haven't played U, but I really like NSLU.

But Galaxy 1 and 2 are just bastardized linear platformers masking as collect-a-thons and 3D Land is the most bland and uninspired game in the series.
>>
>>3941765
New Super Mario Bros for the DS gets bashed a lot, but I enjoyed it. The problem its the formula got stale very quickly with the following sequels and it became fashion hating the first game.

Mario Galaxy I believe it's one of the last GREAT Nintendo games: the atmosphere, the music, the varied levels, the novelty of the spherical worlds and the melancholic story book mood made for a great package. Galaxy 2 was good but more disappointing to me.
>>
>>3941798

Yeah it's easy to appreciate the first New for being the first, the fact they re-used the same graphics, themes and BAH BAH music in every subsequent game was what ruined it. It was about the only guaranteed money Nintendo had though, 3D Mario had no casual appeal.
>>
>>3941720
No, 3D World was incredibly lame too.
>>
>>3941861
Not him,but 3D World is one of my favorite games of all time.I was feeling like a kid playing SMB3 for the first time,but in a modern 2013 version.
>>
>>3941861
I enjoyed it, but it might have just been the fact that it wasn't another New Super Mario Bros because I felt like there was just way too much of that.
>>
>>3941732
What about all the RPGs?
>>
>>3941932
This, a billion times. Galaxy and its sequel were still straddling the concept of a linear 3D platformer, they were still too married to the idea of collect-a-thon. Then when they moved on to 3D Land, they had the gameplay fundamentals in place but theres no aesthetic or gimmick that stands out as unique.

3D World at least gives you cat suits, double cherries, new enemy types, amazing music, and tons of really unique level gimmicks, and the color palette is way more appealing than the previous game. The compensation of wider stage paths for the sake of multiplayer is just better all around. It's the first Mario game in a while that I've just unabashedly enjoyed.
>>
>>3941962
Super Mario RPG would be acceptable, I guess. But Paper Mario is its own thing and fuck Mario and Luigi.
>>
>>3941691
>Super Mario Strikers
>>
>>3942067
>Super Mario Kart
>>
>>3941676
The meat is SMB, SMB2, SMB2 USA maybe, SMB3, SMW, 64, Sunshine, Galaxy, Galaxy 2, maybe the whole slew of NEW SMB games which I lost track of.
Then there's Mario Land which were kind of bizzarro mario not made by Miyamoto, and then spun off into Wario games, and Yoshi's Island which spun off into Yoshi games.
>>
>>3942070
>Super Metroid
>>
I played SMB and SMB3 as a kid, but going back now, Mario feels slippery as shit. Is this an issue with my emulator, or what?
>>
>>3942285
It plays right on real hardware, fag.
>>
>>3942285
U GOTTA PLAY THE MARIOS ON A REAL NINTENDOOOOOO
>>
>>3942064
Actually sweetie, fuck Paper Mario. :^)
>>
>>3942064
Fuck you, Super Star Saga and Bowser's Inside Story were fantastic.
>>
>>3942345
>>3942346
Both series have had exactly 2 good games each. Ergo, fuck both of them.

Even though Paper Mario's gameplay is better
>>
File: 1403659049606.jpg (377KB, 1423x1334px) Image search: [Google]
1403659049606.jpg
377KB, 1423x1334px
>>3942358
>Paper Mario gameplay
>better
>>
>>3941681
this post gave me aids.
>>
>>3942449
It is true though, look it up.
>>
>>3942064

>and fuck Mario and Luigi

Imagine having taste this bad.
>>
>>3941676
>(please say no; I don't want to play them all the way to the kill screen)?
So don't. Nobody is forcing you, m8. But Donkey Kong, becing Mario's first appearence, certainly does count if you ask me. As long as you make it through all four unique level layouts you can say you've experienced most of the content. Don't be more austistic about this than is necessary.
>>
File: tumblr_oovoruPzA21rrftcdo1_400.jpg (90KB, 374x368px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_oovoruPzA21rrftcdo1_400.jpg
90KB, 374x368px
>>3941676
>Is there any official statement on what counts as part of the "main series?"
Nintendo seems like they consider SMB1, SMB3 and World as the main old Mario games, based in Mario Maker. The truth is it's more than that.

Follow what >>3941732 and >>3941757 said. You can alternatively replay the old main Mario games with the Advance series, which is SMA1, SMA2 and SMA4. There's also SMBDX, remake of SMB1 and Lost Levels.

>Do Donkey Kong/Donkey Kong Jr. (please say no; I don't want to play them all the way to the kill screen)?
They do, at least for the first one, because they mark the appearance of Mario, so theses are considered part of main series too. Nobody's forcing you to play, though.

>Should I count SMB2, SMB2JP, or both?
Both. The Lost Levels was a challenging sequel of SMB1, while Doki Doki Panic (SMB2USA) has some Mario elements, both developed by Miyamoto (and Tezuka?).
>>
>>3942871
Nice, I never saw that picture before.

Is there more?
Looked up google images and I got a site called supper mario broth, but that's the only picture it has, says it comes in a set of pogs, would love to get my hands on that.
>>
>>3942878
>Is there more? Looked up google images and I got a site called supper mario broth
Yeah, that's where I get and see unseen and unpopular Mario stuff. Ignoring the boogeyman of Tumblr, it's a nice site to see for every once.

>says it comes in a set of pogs, would love to get my hands on that.
I have no idea where you can buy this, but you can see more of theses pogs here:
http://www.generation-pog.fr/series/divers/111-super-mario-world-slamcaps.html
>>
>>3941681

>donkey donkey picnic

I love you.
>>
File: Donkey_Kong_94_box_art.jpg (26KB, 250x251px) Image search: [Google]
Donkey_Kong_94_box_art.jpg
26KB, 250x251px
>>3941676
Why are you forgetting the most fun Mario Game?

Well its not the most fun (thats SM3) but its really superb and it debuts a lot of Marios advance moves.
>>
File: smwpog035.jpg (55KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
smwpog035.jpg
55KB, 400x400px
>>3942901
Oh niiiiice, thanks for the link.
There's many rare art in those pogs. I remember seeing this one in an old nintendo magazine in the 90s.
>>
This is the correct canonical series:

>Super Mario Bros
>Super Mario Bros 2 (JP) / The Lost Levels
>Super Mario Bros 2 (USA - based on Doki Doki Panic)
>Super Mario Bros 3
>Super Mario World (aka SMB4)
>Super Mario 64
>Super Mario Sunshine
>Super Mario Galaxy
>Super Mario Galaxy 2
>Super Mario Odyssey

The Game Boy games are not part of the main series (made by a totally different division of Nintendo led by Gunpei Yokoi), and Yoshi's Island is a spin-off. (In Japan it was just Super Mario: Yoshi's Island, but NOA decided to call t SMW2 for name recognition.)

As for the NSMB and 3D Land / World games, I'm not sure whether to consider them part of main series since they're largely derivative and with little or no input from Miyamoto or Tezuka.
>>
>>3941681
Oh god, this joke never gets old! So funny man! I bet nobody ever heard of it before!
Seriously anon, it's getting old. Let it go Sevenleaf.
>>
>>3941732
Would the Japanese episodic release of Super Mario USA Challenge count? Or would that be a "spin-off"?
>>
>>3942061
dude 3d world is absolutely gorgeous. also beating the game and then finding out there's like 4-5 more worlds was so cool
>>
>>3941676
For me I think platformers are what count. Other games seem as spin offs.

SMB1, SMBJP2, SMB3, SMW, SMW2YI, Mario 64, Sunshine, Galaxy, Galaxy 2, New Super Mario Bros, Mario 3d land, New Super Mario Bros U, NSMBLuigi, Odyssey.

Fuck some of the handheld games since some of them are just modified console games. A few are ok but why even bother? Fuck the RPGS, Kart, Party, Sports, etc.
>>
>>3942968
Even if you don't necessarily want to play games without Super Mario in the title, you owe it to yourself to play DK94
>>
>>3942968
This.
>>
>>3941737
NSMB and NSMBWii are pretty good imo. But I hated NSMB2 for how uninteresting it was and didn't bother with NSMBU. 3D Land + World are both fantastic, however. I really like how they brought traditional mario gameplay into 3D.
>>
>>3941681
Don't get red spheres.
>>
>>3942968
My nigga. This game is so fucking nice.
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.