[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it true that old consoles expire in their boxes?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5

Is it true that old consoles expire in their boxes?
>>
File: meh.ro11833.gif (2MB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
meh.ro11833.gif
2MB, 800x450px
Wat.
>>
>>3940765
Absolutely. Think of the 30 year old virgins spoiling themselves as we speak.
>>
>>3940781

You're all right, anon.
>>
Yeah, just like unused batteries can die on the shelf, old unused consoles can die too. Capacitors can dry up for example.
>>
>>3942945

Fuck off.
>>
The boards on pinball machines are 45000× more complicated than the ones on simple consoles. No one worries about NIB pinball machines having their capacitors dry out or any easily fixable nonsense—people only worry about batteries suiciding and taking out boards and components with deadly acid.
>>
>>3942980
You know that the same thing applies to leaking electrolytic caps as well right?
>>
>>3940765
Yep. You see old console had lots of 'capacitors' in them.
Essentially are little tubes filled with tiny microbes called 'capaces'. These capaces are what make the console run. Essentially when electricity passes through them, they jump up and down and push 1 and 0s to make the games work.
But most capaces only have a 30 year lifespan. So as they die, they can't press as many 1s and 0s and that causes old consoles not to work correctly.
>>
>>3943031
Edgar, go home, you're drunk.
>>
>>3940765
No
>>
>>3940765
Yes. Once they're past the expiry date you need to throw them out.
Joking aside, yes they do. A couple years back I cracked open a factory sealed GG to demonstrate how it had gone to shit. It still had that new console smell but the display looked as shit as anything you'd find in a dumpster.
>>
nothing lasts forever dude. i guarantee you there isnt a single item in your house that will last a lifetime
>>
>>3946631
My grandad's typewriter still works.
>>
>>3946631
Each and every morning I brew my coffee using a machine which celebrates its 70th birthday this year.

I see no reason whatsoever why it shouldn't last at least that long again.
>>
>>3946631
>nothing lasts forever dude.
Right
>i guarantee you there isnt a single item in your house that will last a lifetime
Wrong
>>
>>3946631

Uh, what? I cook with a cast-iron skillet I got from my great-grandma and half the hand tools in my garage are 80+ years old. I own and fire surplus rifles from the 1800s. Shit, many houses in my area are older than any living human being.

Durable goods are totally a thing my dude.
>>
>>3946660
Sage not to bump, but should have mentioned it's an electric one from the 60s.
>>
>>3946631
I've got all kinds of communistic bullishit in my house that lasts over 60 years.
>>
>>3940765
>owns two genesis consols
>only owns eleven games.

why?
>>
They can, depending on a number of factors.
>>
>>3946631
Do you mean a ~80 years an average person lives or the 16 you have? Either way I have stuff older.
>>
>>3946631
Tons of paintings, statues, buildings, antiques, guns, coins, etc. have lasted several lifetimes and are still going strong.

le nothing lasts forever is a meme
>>
>>3946631
I've got this Westinghouse steel desk fan from the 40's and I really don't see it ever dying ever. Also there's a lightbulb in a fire station that has been turned on for 107 years straight
>>
yes, they die of a broken heart
>>
>>3946865

Only because nobody played them :(
>>
File: French-Country-Wide-Shot.jpg (376KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
French-Country-Wide-Shot.jpg
376KB, 1920x1080px
>>3946631
What a fucking idiotic thing to say
>>
File: t8.jpg (37KB, 400x278px) Image search: [Google]
t8.jpg
37KB, 400x278px
I don't know enough to give a good answer re: capacitors, though it seems some do go bad in storage without ever getting electrically strained from use. I can absolutely say cmos batteries will die, though. Some are optional, some are required, and some are harder to replace than others, too (looking at you, CD-i).
>>
>>3946631

Everyone replying is calling you retarded for this comment, funny. They all make reference to simple objects which are either just slabs of stone(statues) or cast iron(grandmas skillet) and compare their longevity to electronics. That faggots grandads typewriter definitely has had repairs and parts replaced.
>>
File: 1389311193225.png (68KB, 403x250px) Image search: [Google]
1389311193225.png
68KB, 403x250px
>>3946892
why this
>>
>>3947305
>Everyone replying is calling me a retard for being one, funny. They all make reference to things that existed a lifetime ago because I said "single item" and didn't specify electronics. I've never used a typewriter before but they look complicated and I'm sure I'd break it.
FTFYK
>>
depends on the temperature and humidity. storing electronics long term in cardboard probably isn't the best idea.
>>
>>3946631
my grandma's silver dildo is still as good as new
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.