[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

RetroArch Wii vs individual emulators?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: RetroArch-Wii.png (214KB, 560x314px) Image search: [Google]
RetroArch-Wii.png
214KB, 560x314px
Does RetroArch Wii have any major advantages over the general, separate emulators people typically use, like Snes9xGx, FCEUltra, etc?

I was always comfortable with those old things, and the last time I used RetroArch Wii was aeons ago, when the thing was buggy as fuck.

Love my old Wii to death, dusting it off this week, wanna treat the old girl to the absolute best.

Any other advice/tips you guys might have on Wii modding would be appreciated too; I've been out of the scene since like 2009.
>>
File: 1410579287397.gif (102KB, 758x696px) Image search: [Google]
1410579287397.gif
102KB, 758x696px
I finally did this to mine a few weeks ago. I use the standalone emulators for NES, SNES, Gen/MD, and GBA, and aside from the VBA having some speed issues at times, all of them work as perfect as I can ask.
Running them into my 20" Trinitron via component, they look godly.
I'm using the GC controller. Kinda funked with the Genesis being it had a 3/6 layout and the GC controller does not, but I make it work.

The Wii is a sorely underrated system.
Where else can you all but perfectly emulate the entire NES, SNES, and Genesis(on the games worth playing for all three), PLUS play the Metroid Prime series, WW, OOT+MM, TP, and SS? You can play the entire Zelda series on it in perfection. That alone makes it a wonderful little box. And it runs cool and quiet.
>>
>>3940247
>zeldas
Except the DS/3DS ones, sorry.
>>
>>3940247
Yeah, I think that the Wii is probably the best emulation device available outside of a dedicated Windows-based PC.

The Wii has a huge advantage over everything else simply for having so many built-in controller options - even with a PC, handling multiple controllers (for bros) can be a pain with emulators.

I guess I'm kinda hoping some anon will drop in here and tell me that the Wii port of RetroArch implemented some amazing new feature in 2015 which pushed it past the stand-alone emulators you find on the Homebrew Browser. Those things are fucking ancient.
>>
>>3940259
If youre CRT master race its definitely the way to go, i havent tried the hdmi upscaler thing u can buy
>>
>>3940228
RetroArch Wii is complete fucking garbage. It's so fucking terrible that in fact the initial 1.0.0.2 release is the least buggy build.

Even then there's constant input sticking (which only got worse in later builds) and you can't save resolutions and have to set the native resolution for each console every time you start it up or even switch cores. The latter isn't even a bug or a technical limitation; the devs REFUSE to implement resolution saving for some petty garbage reason I can't be assed to remember.
>>
It's interesting to note, that even the little TV screens on the Wii home menu are CRTs, not panels.
>>
>>3940272
>The latter isn't even a bug or a technical limitation; the devs REFUSE to implement resolution saving for some petty garbage reason I can't be assed to remember.

Check again, it was added in on the newer versions.

If RetroArch Wii is so bad then that's the Wii scene's fault for not help keeping it maintained when other devs are no longer interested in coding for a dead console. It is open source, after all...
>>
>>3940228
the good:
>libretro cores are great and provide high-quality emulation for pretty much every platform, the days where you'd end up with a shit old-ass port of an emulator as your only option are almost gone now due to how portable they are
the bad:
>retroarch itself as a libretro front end sucks ass and has an appalling design philosophy

but really, there's nearly no reason to bother with RA on the Wii other than to keep up with the latest versions of emulators

>>3940272
honestly, this wouldn't be an issue if someone would write a libretro frontend of their own
retroarch is technically supposed to be a just reference implementation, but it ended up being the only game in town
and it's so fucking shit and the devs are so shit and it's a fucking shame since libretro is actually a great idea (read: let's remove pretty much all of the platform-specific stuff like display and input and file loading regarding emulation and make a library to handle that shit, all you need to do to port an emulator that uses libretro is a recompile and a libretro port to the machine, assuming it doesn't use hand-written asm or whatever)
>>
>>3940319
I don't see what's so bad about RA itself. Maybe the Wii port sucks because no one maintains anymore it but on Linux/Windows/Android it is quite good.
>>
>>3940302
I don't think that's too surprising.

The Wii doesn't even have native digital output.
>>
>>3940338
Thats why anons jerk off to it
>>
>>3940272
>>you can't save resolutions and have to set the native resolution for each console every time you start it up or even switch cores

Holy shit I can't believe this is still the case. I messed around with this years ago and assumed it'd be fixed at some point.

How's the video output in general, using RetroArch? I'm gonna get some component cables for the Wii, no CRT in my tiny apartment unfortunately :(
>>
>>3940395
It was fixed though

https://github.com/libretro/RetroArch/commit/a2851ab70b42021c49b24f5cb3215a0c8d08c1fd
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.