[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is it STILL the best game in the franchise?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

File: Classic Zelda Logo.png (209KB, 552x278px) Image search: [Google]
Classic Zelda Logo.png
209KB, 552x278px
Why is it STILL the best game in the franchise?
>>
>non-linear
>open world
>no story bullshit
>secrets are actual secrets and not obvious as fuck
>the game is genuinely challenging at times and doesn't hold your hand
>>
>>3940215

this
>>
I flipflop on my favorite but I think the first four zelda games are some of the best games ever made and they're all quite different from one another
>>
>>3940195
While it is a damn fine game, there are at least four other Zeldas - which I won't name to avoid further shitposting - that are better.
>>
>>3940195
Its THE Zelda game
Enough said
>>
>>3940195
When getting into other Nintendo franchises besides Mayro, it was the only one I actually wanted to beat. With the others, I got bored by their 2nd-4th dungeons. They just didn't have the same magic. Bear in mind this was 2014, before Breath of the Wild.
>>
>>3940307
I already know what you are alluding to and you are wrong
>>
>>3940497
You do not.
>>
>>3940195
It isn't. The ideas behind the gameplay are very interesting, especially at the time, but they're still otherwise marred by a few crippling flaws that would eventually heavily age the game in a modern context.

>>3940491
>Breath of the Wild
That bloated husk of a game? Even Zelda 1 was a lot more moderate in its approach to "open world exploration".
>>
>>3941113
>Even an 8-bit game with genuine space limitations was more moderate in its approach than a sequel made 30 years later.
Wow. Shocking. In other news, the sun rose again this morning.
>>
But that's not Adventure of Link
>>
>>3940195
>still the best
>"dude buy nintendo power lmao"

No.
>>
>>3940215

Pretty fucking much.
>>
>>3940195
I was playing the Zelda series for the first time last year, I don't think the first one was particullary THAT good, I mean, it has its charm, but I think that Zelda 2, ALttP, Ocarina, Majora, Awakening, Oracle, Minish cap and even Wind Waker and Twilight Princess were more fun.

Zelda 1 is just the barebones of a adventure game, many dungeon rooms are just copypasted all over the place, there's almost no puzzles or interesting items besides the basic stuff, I mean, if you consider "exploding bombs all over the place" as puzzle, I guess it counts. When I played ALttP after Zelda 2 I was in a wonder of how much better and rich the game was in comparasion to the first Zelda, since it goes back to the top-down camera and everything.
I guess I can understand why some people only like the first one though, you can do dungeons in any order, pick items in any order, but I don't get this huge boner for "non-linearity" that a lot of people have, I'm not even the type of person that likes to replay games to begin with, there's so many retro games and non-retro games out there that playing them once is just enough for me, in my perspective non-linearity is only interesting for speedrunning, and like I said I prefer to focus in a large number of games than just get really good in one of them.
>>
>>3941283
Woah woah WOAH buddy, that argument is FAR too well contructed and detailed for /vr/. You're supposed to just say "this game is shit" and move on.
>>
>>3940215
>>no story bullshit
No Zelda game in the franchise has complex or at least unique story, outside of GB(C) Zelda games and Majora's Mask. It's always "Zelda was captured by Ganon, and Link needs to save her to save the world".
>>
>>3941283

But that was about the best you'd get for adventure without going off the procedural generated deep end.

Also I don't really think the game is open world. There's a difference between open world and not having a set direction, because you're still supposed to finish the game in more or less a certain order.
>>
>>3940195
Lttp dwarfs it
>>
>>3942210
But you CAN do the dungeons out of order
>>
>>3942304
To an extent, yes.

You need some of the items in each of the earlier dungeons to get through the rest though (e.g., bow for bow and arrow, ladder, raft, etc.)
>>
>>3942304

That's not what open world means, for the second time.

Open world is a phrase made to describe games like GTA3. Order has nothing to do with it, the fact that you can drop the main quest in GTA3 and do a million other things instead is why that game is open world.

In Zelda 1 you are always beating dungeons unless you can't find them. The fact that you can do them in any order makes it about as free roaming as Megaman.
>>
>>3942342
>Open world is a phrase made to describe games like GTA3.
I thought the correct term was sandbox.
>>
>>3942370

I think all of the words like that are pretty interchangeable. If there was some source describing one of them, like a magazine or something, in a different way before GTA3 came out, then I'm wrong.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.