[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

God damn this game is linear! Is Ocarina the same?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 3

File: a-link-to-the-past-4.jpg (184KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
a-link-to-the-past-4.jpg
184KB, 1920x1080px
God damn this game is linear!

Is Ocarina the same?
>>
OOT is Link to the Past 64: 3D edition
>>
>>3939551
>linear

There's several dungeons you can complete out of order, stop baiting
>>
>>3939574
>several
After Swamp Palace you can either complete Skull Woods or Thieves' Town next, but that's about it.
I guess you could also complete Misery Mire before Ice Palace, but I doubt someone would try that on their first playthrough.
>>
>>3939574
When I saw the dark world map, I expected to be able to play them in any order (Megaman style).

I was really disappointed.
>>
>>3939551
>complaining about Zelda games being linear
Not sure if bait or just ignorant. There are some exceptions but most Zelda games are pretty linear and I wouldn't advise newcomers to beat the first Zelda first.
>>
>>3939626
Not bait, I'm honestly suprised. What's the point of having an "adventure" when you're pretty much on a rail.
>>
>>3939635
This critique applies to countless numbers of other games, not just Zelda. If this is actually an issue for you, there's a substantially large amount of games made over the years that aren't going to appeal to you at all.
>>
>>3939664
Well it may be an issue, but it doesn't keep the game from being good. It just really ruins any semblance of replay-value for me at least.
>>
>>3939551

How exactly is the game linear? I remember playing it as a kid and being blown away that I wasn't forced down a funnel.
Perhaps when all avenues are explored and turn out to be dead ends it turns out that there is in fact one way to go, is that it? Well it sure gave me the impression of non-linearity at the time.
>>
>>3939671
That's always been a problem with games that run on a rail. There have been some creative attempts over the years at things like branching paths to give a little extra replay, though. Or things like achievements that you couldn't finish and/or collect in one playthrough.
>>
>>3939551
>muh open world
Fucking millennials, I swear.
Go back to your shitty Skyrim Zelda on your gimmick consoles.
>>
Do you equate linear with bad?
>>
>>3939694
Calm down. The original LoZ on the NES was less linear than Lttp, the whole Megaman series is less linear, Metroid + Super Metroid, Mario 64, even fucking Pokemon, all these games are less linear than a game renowned for its "le giant open world :O" .
>>
>>3939702
Again, mainly for replay reasons.
>>
>>3939707
>"le giant open world :O"
>claiming that people say this about Link to the Past

Just stop. I don't know if you played BotW first and thought LttP would be some sort of 2D BotW equivalent in terms of openness or whatever, but it isn't and anyone claiming otherwise is either lying or never actually played it.
>>
>>3939717

Also, it isn't retro, but if you want a more open LttP type game, try Link Between Worlds.
>>
>>3939604
>I expected to be able to play them in any order (Megaman style).
A Link Between Worlds lets you do just that, but it just makes the game even easier than ALttP.

>>3939635
>What's the point of having an "adventure" when you're pretty much on a rail.
I feel like the adventure part in Zelda games comes from experimenting with a new item to see what you can do with it and what new places you can reach with it.

>>3939707
>"le giant open world :O"
I've never seen people say that about ALttP. It's more like a 3D Zelda thing.
>>
>>3939717
I don't even own a Switch or Wii U.

Don't pretend, that the world wasn't hyped to hell.
>>
>>3939723
>I feel like the adventure part in Zelda games comes from experimenting with a new item to see what you can do with it and what new places you can reach with it.

Pretty good point actually. It's just somewhat poorly implemented in my opinion (at least in lttp).
>>
>>3939694
>Skyrim Zelda
Seriously. I don't get much of the hype behind that bloated crud either. Then again that's another can of worms entirely.
>>
>>3939685
So what do you play, primarily? WRPGs and Minecraft? Because every other game ever made is "on a rail"
>>
>>3939743
I mainly play platformers, and other kinds of games that you don't EXPECT to be "open".

Being on a rail is not really a bad thing, but many "open" games do it much better than lttp.
>>
>>3939743
I don't have any real problem with games on a rail, I was just saying.
>>
>>3939757
>but many "open" games do it much better than lttp.
Not really disagreeing, but still caring to list some examples?
>>
>>3939763
>i feel like lttp is being attacked, and that triggers me
>better try to bait out some preferred games from my "enemy" and then blast on them with memes and shitposting

Why does every thread devolve into this nonsense?
>>
>>3939763
Super Metroid for instance. The intentional and unintentional sequence breaking, and the general loose order of gameplay, make the game much more replayable.
>>
>>3939769
Woah, calm down schizmo. I'm not even that big of a LttP fag (more of one for OoT actually. Hit me). I just needed something possibly for ideas to potentially add to my own backlog.
>>
>>3939776
>fuck, that dude knew my plan
>well, better play it off as something innocent now

At least the thread won't derail now, right? ;^)
>>
>>3939779
Whatever helps you sleep I guess
>>
>>3939779
This isn't fucking Death Note, there's no complex mental battle going on here, it's a thread on 4chan /vr.

Life isn't like that.
>>
>>3939724
>Don't pretend, that the world wasn't hyped to hell.

I don't know what you're getting at, but even if you argue that the world was hyped, that is certainly not the same thing as saying it has an open world style of gameplay.

I'd seriously like to know who exactly described it as having an "open world."
>>
>>3939783
And it does. I like knowing that I've saved at least one thread that didn't need to go down to shitposting. Although I'm intrigued that no one has responded to the Super Metroid post yet.
>>
File: 1177353523777.gif (2MB, 240x192px) Image search: [Google]
1177353523777.gif
2MB, 240x192px
>>3939757
>but many "open" games do it much better than lttp.
ALttP was never supposed to be "open world".
It has what are known as "sequence breaks" as a matter of fact, which implies there's a standard sequence to the gameplay that can cheated. Playing ALttP is all about getting new abilities through items and using those to open up new areas. Getting the Titans Mitts from Level 4 in the Dark World and using them to access Levels 5+ as an example.
Items serve like keys to the overworlds in the game.
>>
>>3939551
Someone needs to explain to me how linear is bad, because I really don't get this meme.
>>
>>3939906
Murricans are obsessed with illusion of freedom ever since they fought for independency from the British.
>>
The lttp randomizer can be fun

I still remember the zora king and getting 5 rupees in exchange for 300
>>
>>3939786
>He doesn't use excessive gestures, dramatic music and lengthy inner monologues while shitposting

N-nani!?
>>
>>3939551
>I'm 18 and I just beat Breath Of the Wild, my first Zelda game.
>Let me download an emulator and see what all the hubwub is about this Zelda thing.
>Uggggh, this game has not aged well.
>>
>>3939757
The back of alttp just promised that I could throw shit and I could. It delivered on its promises.
>>
>>3940072
>I'm 18
Giving OP too much credit
>>
>>3940149
but surely he must be, since you have to be 18 to post on the channers
>>
>>3939601
I got stuck in Ice Palace and moved on to Misery Mire. I went back and completed Ice Palace with the Cane of Somaria.
>>
>>3940170
Maybe he has a fake ID
>>
>>3939551
You're a fucking idiot. LTTP is the best Zelda game of all time.
>>
>>3939551

If you wanted random you'd be playing western shit.
>>
>>3940216
Oot tho
>>
>>3940216
I disagree, finding that Minish Cap is the best Zelda game of all time.
>>
>>3940072
First off, I don't even own a Wii U / Switch, so I've never played Botw.

And I played the GBA version.
>>
>>3939910

Please don't drag the fucking Yanks into this.

Besides, they're currently off on a bender for the next 3.5 years. It's rude to interrupt someone when they do that.
>>
>>3941023
Wow, epic. I think some people need to be reminded which country video games originate from.
>>
>>3940197

This is one of the clearest examples of sequence-breaking being beneficial; having the Cane in that dungeon will save you significant amounts of time and frustration, and the best part is, you don't even need to set foot in the Ice Palace to get the item first (a lot of Zelda sequence-breaking requires you to do half a dungeon to obtain the item first, then leave; LAME!).
>>
>>3941032

Which country nearly killed them dead as a medium, you mean?
>>
>>3941034
>one of the clearest examples of sequence-breaking being beneficial

>a lot of Zelda sequence-breaking requires you to do half a dungeon to obtain the item first, then leave

I think you mean only.
>>
>>3939923

That actually sounds hysterical. Is it well put together, or am I going to run into all kinds of buggy horeseshit if I give it a spin?
>>
>>3941037

No, you can do Blind's Lair or Skull Woods out of order too.
>>
I was disappointed by the lack of character interaction. After a certain point, it feels like the game world grinds to a halt.

It doesn't *feel* like a living, breathing place anymore.
>>
>>3941038
Afaik it just werks, bunch of speedrunners finished it
But it has the Japanese version as the base, it's definitely for those who know lttp inside-out
>>
>>3939730
The most grievous offense is that the game never implies you can knock over piles of rocks with the Pegasus boots.

That being said, there's a ton of great overworld secrets that utilize the dual world mechanic and key items. The Dungeon order might be limited, but the real exploration is more open-ended.

>>3940537
Patrician
>>
>>3939712
What the hell are you doing replaying the same old games over and over again.

You should be trying games you haven't played from franchises you're not familiar with.
>>
>>3941359
Getting more for my money. Imagine playing Mario 1, using the warp zones, beating the game, and never playing it again. That would have cost $45+ back in the day.
>>
File: 1432146050769.gif (3MB, 240x135px) Image search: [Google]
1432146050769.gif
3MB, 240x135px
>>3941046
>After a certain point, it feels like the game world grinds to a halt.
I think it's after you defeat Agahnim.
>tfw Kakariko village becomes empty and loses that comfy theme
>>
>>3939770
Worst fucking example you could have given. In interviews with the super Metroid devs they were amazed that such sequence breaking was possible, and if they had more time they would have removed all of them - they were extremely unhappy with the state the game was released in. What you consider 'freedom' the devs actually considered 'shameful glitches'.
>>
>>3941612
>Japanese developers release game with glitches
>Eventually considered one of the greatest games ever
>Widely imitated by upstart pretentious indie developers
>None of them can even replicate the glitches that make the game good
Kek
>>
>>3941046
To be honest most Zelda games are like that. The NPCs are *there* but... it isn't like they are very active at all. Usually they're just standing around to give you directions on where to go
>>
OoT is only linear for plebs.
>>
>>3939551
I always use to go from the 1st dark wordl palace straight to blinds hideout for the upgraded sword.

Eventually I did the opposite and did a minimal run but it feels good dominating early bosses like that.
Thread posts: 67
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.