[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was this series ever good?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4

File: sonic.png (264KB, 488x768px) Image search: [Google]
sonic.png
264KB, 488x768px
Was this series ever good?
>>
Sure, dude. The original trilogy, CD, the two adventure games on the dreamcast... They're solid.
>>
Never good. Passable at best.
>>
>>3938419
This. Sonic was a series.
>>
>>3938416
until Sonic and Knuckles the series was god tier
>>
>>3938419
>the two adventure games on the dreamcast... They're solid
LOLNO
The two SA literally destroyed the Sonic franchise
>>
Well, as a kid I really liked Sonic games but now I think that they weren't masterpieces or something like that. I replayed all the Sega chapters and got pretty bored whether Mario, Castlevania or Contra series were fun all over.
>>
>>3938436
I like the games themselves though.
>>
The original games are entertaining, but I'm sick of people pretending they're the greatest things ever. Sonic CD is a fucking mess too.
>>
>>3938416
Sonic was a 7/10 series during the 8- and 16-bit eras, not as as good as the top dogs like Mario, DKC, Kirby, Ristar, Magical Quest, but better than the majority of platformers.

Sonic's gameplay was way too simplistic, especially in the first two games. Crash is somewhat the 32-bit counterpart of Sonic, both have aged a lot.

Likewise, Sonic Adventure 1, 2 and Heroes were decent 3D platformers back in the early 6th gen era, but not as good as Mario 64/Sunshine, Spyro, Banjo-Kazooie, Sly, the first Jak.

Modern Sonic games are terrible though, Shadow and 2006 are unplayable, Unleashed and its sequels are just faster versions of Temple Run.
>>
>>3938446
>Sonic's gameplay was way too simplistic
Sonic has way more complex platforming design and enemies than Kirby. What are you smoking?

>Crash is somewhat the 32-bit counterpart of Sonic
Crash is much more like DKC than Sonic.
>>
>>3938446

>Sonic's gameplay was way too simplistic, especially in the first two games. Crash is somewhat the 32-bit counterpart of Sonic, both have aged a lot.

I agree with this, but I think their simplicity means they've hardly aged at all. The 30+ year old games I play are all simple; I like Pac-Man, not Ultima. And I think younger people will feel the same way about 90s games.
>>
Yes, if you stay within the Megadrive series.

So 1, 2, 3, S&K, and CD.
>>
File: 1487400174465.png (22KB, 275x200px) Image search: [Google]
1487400174465.png
22KB, 275x200px
Definitely. I can at least say the first 3 were superb and I know it's not retro, but the Advance titles are my favorite
>>
>>3938523

Are the Advance titles able to compare favorably to the Genny ones? I'd always wondered.
>>
>>3938416
One of the best, at first. Absolutely top drawer early games.
>>
>>3938526
Kind of. Not QUITE the same, but similar enough.

You could think of them as being like Mega Man X compared to the Classic series. The basic idea is the same, but the new games are much flashier and faster, with a lot of new mechanics.

Level design isn't as polished and it's easy to send yourself falling off a cliff, but you can do a lot of neat shit like grinding on rails or running across water. I'd say they're all worth trying out at least once.
>>
I liked Sonic 3D on Megadrive 2, the OST was nice, but honestly the gameplay was very limited, you couldn't even rotate the camera angle, so much for the 3D in the name, I'm not saying full 360 view but at least 4 fixed views should have been included, it's not that much of a programming work since all the game objects were pretty much symmetric.
>>
File: ng.jpg (101KB, 441x504px) Image search: [Google]
ng.jpg
101KB, 441x504px
>>3938446
>Ristar on that list to gain some credibility.
>Le press forward to win meme.

lel nintendog your opinion aren't facts they are shit and biased.
You clearly didn't play a single classic sonic game neither a Crash game.
>>
>>3938416
S1 was passable
S2 was like the fun brother
S3 was like the artsy sequel, jamming in more music, art, and powerups. Still fun but not as a straight-play as S2
>>
The Mega Drive and Master System games were all great.
>>
>>3938419
>the two adventure games on the dreamcast

>be 10
>shitty game gets released
>remember it fondly cuz kid brain
>years later online
>oh yeah the classic games + the two shit ones were really good
>nothing after that though.

Fucking kids, soon there will be be babies here who swear that Sonic turned bad AFTER Sonic 06.
>>
>>3938446
You complain about Sonic being too simplistic and count Kirby as one of the top dogs?
>>
>>3938436

The direction they took the series in did insane damage but the games in a bubble are, at the VERY least, solid. Obviously if you were reviewing Sonic Adventure in 1999 you didn't know what was coming seven years later.
>>
>>3938904

I like both Adventure games but I do see your point, seeing kids wax nostalgic over Sonic Heroes (where even my kid brain called it quits) will always be fucked up. What you're describing is basically already happening too, on any Youtube video on Sonic 06 you'll find comments saying variations of "I loved this game as a kid and never noticed the glitches" because it came out eleven fucking years ago and those kids are now in their twenties. It's messed up.
>>
File: SonicCPU.jpg (29KB, 316x223px) Image search: [Google]
SonicCPU.jpg
29KB, 316x223px
Reminder that Sonic 1 is the best Sonic game.
>>
>>3939074
I certainly couldn't call it a bad game, at least.
>>
>>3938416
I iked sonic heros but I fucking hated the music. That shit made me not want to load it up as a kid.

I can't remember what the music was like now other than I hated it.
>>
Its weird but i have distinct memories of playing both Sonic 2 and Sonic 3 (we didnt have Sonic 1 until I was way older). There was almost a different atmosphere in my childhood around each. Sonic 2 I remember playing over and over with my mom (she was an amazing player before she developed motion sickness), never getting past certain zones.

But I do remember my dad coming home from a business trip in NYC, and taking Sonic 3 from his briefcase for me. Different memories, but Sonic 3 was not quite as fun as sonic 2.
By the time I got Sonic 1 I was a teenager and just played it for curiosity.
>>
>neo-/vr/ revisionism: all games were trash
>>
>>3939548

>Booting up to SAWNIC HEEEEEROOOOES
>Ever a bad thing
>>
>>3938416
yes, now stop asking vague questions
>>
>>3939074
I can COPE with that.
>>
The Genesis games were flawed but fun and overall good games.
Everything that came afterwards was pretty shit but still enjoyable in an endearing way.
>>
sa and sa2 are god tier fun. I know it's cliche to say but sonic has a great aesthetic and those games capitalized on that perfectly.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.