[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does anyone here have first hand experience playing on a PAL

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 1

File: hqdefault.jpg (13KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
13KB, 480x360px
Does anyone here have first hand experience playing on a PAL SNES modded for 60Hz?

I'm considering getting mine modded, but have heard it causes timing issues or something
>>
>>3936209
I have done the 60Hz to mine with the simple switch method no super CIC or nothing and it even plays Super FX and SA-1 stuff perfectly fine.
I've never ran into any issues unless you're running PAL stuff in NTSC mode or NTSC games in PAL mode.
>>
>>3936217
that's good to know. I've also considered buying a super famicom and swapping the shell with mine so that it looks like my old SNES while performing better under the hood
>>
>>3936235
Swapping the shell seems kind of retarded if you ask me considering the printing is pretty much the only thing different.
Either mod your SNES and don't get a Super Famicom or get a Super Famicom and switch between your SNES and it for the games you play if you ask me.
>>
>>3936260
apparently my PAL SNES has the chipset with inferior RGB output. Is that going to be noticeable?
>>
>>3936265
Unless you're autistic and want to specifically search for a 1chip on ebay that's prolly gonna be marked up quite a bit for being a 1chip i'd say no.
http://retrorgb.com/snesversioncompare.html
It's really not that bad if you ask me.
>>
>>3936217
Having a switch on it is worth it, just for Donkey Kong Country.
>>
>>3936209
I do. There are issues with some games. A few of which I consider bad enough to make the game unplayable.
If you want a true 60hz SNES in a SFC shaped case you might consider a HK version SNES. This is a PAL SNES officially modified by Nintendo for 60hz. It can also output 50hz over RF
>>
>>3936505
Can you say which games specifically?
I've played a good chunk of the US library on my european SNES in 60Hz and never encountered an issue...
>>
>>3936209
What is the benefit over buying a US or JP console? Cost?

Wouldn't all PAL region games play faster?
>>
>>3936505
A Hong Kong snes? I was unaware of this.
So it's actually called a snes, not a famicom?
Do we know if there are 1-chip models around?
>>
How does a game like Terrinigma run on a stock PAL device? Since it was released for the region, does it run at proper speeds? Or is it like Master System and runs a little slow? If the latter, can you use a mod like this to "fix" it?
>>
>>3936265
>apparently my PAL SNES has the chipset with inferior RGB output. Is that going to be noticeable?

You'll only notice it if you code cycle accurate emulators in your free time.
>>
>>3936535
can't play PAL games on NTSC or NTSC-J, pal

but the NTSC consoles are interchangeable if you can get past the hardware differences like tabs in the cartridge slot or the blocky shape of the american games not physically fitting in a super famicom
>>
SuperCIC is the only correct answer. Done correctly it'll play games of every region at the correct speeds.

The switch mods are piss easy, but the problem is that they only modify the refresh rate, so the system will still be running on the stock PAL crystal. All you're doing is turning your stock PAL SNES into an underclocked NTSC SNES. A lot of games will run fine, but some will be laggy, some might crash.

Then there's the $213F protection that AFAIK most switch mods don't cover. Games that have that kind of protection will show a wrong region message. I think some flashcarts can bypass this, or you could patch the roms instead. ymmv

Anyway, the SuperCIC mod is the god tier solution. It's involves adding a NTSC crystal so games in NTSC mode will run at the correct speed. It also patches $213F reads on-the-fly so no error screens. The other big draw is that SA-1 games like Mario RPG won't lock up.

Don't know what kind of switch >>3936217 has not to have problems with SA-1 games, but I suppose there must be a bunch of different kinds.

At any rate, if you're making the effort to mod it then don't go for a half-assed solution.
>>
>>3936859
I hope you're right, but the link posted by >>3936273
makes the difference look dramatic. What gives?

Are 1-chip mods on 2-chip systems possible?
>>
>>3937867
It only looks like such a big difference bc most comparisons on there are so zoomed in.
Trust me, you don't see it nearly as much when looking at the fullscreen image.
Modding a SNES to be 1Chip is something I've never heard of and i doubt it's worth the work/possible.
The difference in picture if I had to judge comes not only from a maybe revised picture processing chip but also from a revised board layout so
even if you harvested the PPU from a 1chip SNES there's still the layout problem.
>>
>>3937876
understood, thanks

>>3936892
I don't suppose you know of any reputable SuperCIC modders in Australia?

Or is it a plausible DIY job?
>>
>>3937876
I'm sorry to say, but I disagree. Having a few on hand myself, it's a very easy thing for me to tell which I have hooked up. I didn't notice it much over RF, but Scart/SVideo makes them look like totally different saturations.
>>
>>3937912
Are you using a CRT or LCD?
>>
>>3937914
CRT. BVM-20F1U.
>>
>>3937924
I also have one hooked up to a LCD / Framemeister combo, but haven't viewed the non-1chip on that.
>>
>>3937924
Huh, well maybe you've got a better eye than me then.
I mean, I can tell if I look for it but it really isn't that bothersome to me when normally playing.
Nice CRT you got there by the way.
>>
>>3936209
I literally cannot fathom why anyone would do this, unless you could switch between frequencies and video output.

Game timing critically depends on frame rate.

PAL games need to be played at 50Hz.
NTSC games need to be played at 60Hz.

If you don't do this, then you are likely to have fast/slow gameplay at best or bugs at worst.
>>
>>3937938
see
>>3936892
>>
>>3936892
> All you're doing is turning your stock PAL SNES into an underclocked NTSC SNES.
lol nope
>>
>>3937938
many pal games, especially 3rd party are not pal optimized so they run at lower speed and with borders
>>
>>3936519
>did you test every game and keep a detailed log of all the issues.
No. But I remember a Mario game had horrible flicker and a DK game had misplaced bits of graphics. I'd consider that a deal breaker. There were other games that had issues, mostly misplaced bits of graphics. But that's just nails in the coffin.

>>3936561
HK got both SFC and SNES. The SNES is a PAL SNES (UKV). Apparently some chip(s) have been replaced with SFC version(s). I don't know about 1chips. There were pics on assembler but that was kill. I'm too lazy to crack mine open but if you know another way to tell I can check mine.
>>
>>3938024
I know that World and SMB3 flickers in the top part of the screen if your run the pal version in NTSC mode but playing them in the correct mode for each version was fine all through out the game for me?
I've only played through DK1 completely but haven't seen anyone on either DK1 and DK2 either...
>>
>>3936505
did you get the SuperCIC mod?
>>
>>3937876
You can mod an older SNES console to a 1CHIP by ripping out the video filtering components from the motherboard and putting solder in their place.

Seriously, the only reason 1CHIP looks sharper is Nintendo cheaped out.
>>
>>3938026
The NTSC version of whatever Mario game it was flickered all over the screen making it unplayable.

>>3938091
No. I sold that SNES in 94/5. SuperCIC didn't exist then. Not sure if the guy who made it did either.
>>
>>3938174
sounds pretty complicated
>>
>>3938245
Boiling water sounds complicated to a protohuman who hasn't discovered fire. Without knowing the details there's no way to tell how complicated it is. But clearly you're scared of being a danger to yourself and others if given a pointing hot object.
>>
>>3936209
No issues thus far.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.