[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Alright what does /vr/ think of this game? The reason why I ask

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 15

Alright what does /vr/ think of this game? The reason why I ask is because I kinda want to make something like it.
>>
I still need to play this and watch the anime, is what I think.
>>
Lain is life
>>
I loved it, but honestly just reading the script is about as good as playing it.

I would love a game like it with more actual "game" in it. Scrambling through logs and media to wrap your head around what is going on, combined with some actual choice and consequence would be sweet.
>>
Let's all love Lain
>>
>>3935712
she was lookin kinda dumb with her finger and her thumb in the shape of an L on her forehead, well
>>
>>3935712
Go home lain you're gonna bring the normies to muh secret club.

With that said I am also interested. Is this game worth buying or at least emulating?
>>
File: Lain_navi[1].jpg (19KB, 449x374px) Image search: [Google]
Lain_navi[1].jpg
19KB, 449x374px
If I were going to haunt the Internet I'd enjoy it much more on 1st gen iPods than on Facebook. Shit, there's millions of dead people on there right now.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-uUiL1vkC0
Hey there's an english patch.
>>
>>3935853
link?!
>>
>>3935853
That patch was cancelled but they do have a pdf available on their website of the game transcripts
>>
>>3935860
Shame, this looks way better than your run of the mill VN.
>>
>>3935863
If you're interested here's a link to the pdf
http://psx.lain.pl
>>
>>3935763
stop
>>
File: libido.png (1MB, 638x1160px) Image search: [Google]
libido.png
1MB, 638x1160px
>>3935712
You can get roughly the same experience from this website with all of the game's files in order of the game's story. Only difference is the actual game has these wicked 3D menus and you have to unlock all the files in their order. Enjoy.

http://laingame.net/
>>
File: 1433120183813.png (303KB, 582x582px) Image search: [Google]
1433120183813.png
303KB, 582x582px
never seen the anime or the game, whats it like?
>>
>>3937041
It's actually really good if you have the patience for it, especially if you're into retro PC stuff.
>>
>>3937041
It is a strange existential pseudo cyberpunk / hacking related show.
>>
File: Masami_eiri_pwnzered_forever.jpg (116KB, 394x389px) Image search: [Google]
Masami_eiri_pwnzered_forever.jpg
116KB, 394x389px
>>3937041
It's very thought provoking, it's one of only a very few pieces of media I'd ever say that about. It deals mostly with the concept of identity and how that changes whenever you project yourself on the internet.

It can be incredibly depressing though. Also bit wordy when it comes to their explanations for technical things (if that's not something that interests you). But if you're not bored by that sort of thing or devastated by it's thematic of suicide and abandonment of reality then you might appreciate it.

For something made in the 90s it's shocking to say that it's views and representation of the internet is still just as profound today as it was when it first came out.
>>
>>3937041
It's this kind of anime:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ilXnudiBqQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOpxP0Z3Dsg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlPLelInlDw
Hope that helps.
>>
File: soulhack.jpg (186KB, 1119x959px) Image search: [Google]
soulhack.jpg
186KB, 1119x959px
>>3937086
wikipedia makes it sound like a super serious Soul Hackers.
>>3937337
that Alien scene is fucking hilarious without context
>>
File: 1367108323.png (253KB, 693x919px) Image search: [Google]
1367108323.png
253KB, 693x919px
>>3937095
Only read the script for the game but it's heavy stuff, a lot more than the show and the show it's risky.

>>3937369
I don't think that alien scene ever has context.
>>
>>3936994
>http://laingame.net/
god bless those mad bastards
>>
File: img_1_003.png (20KB, 200x150px) Image search: [Google]
img_1_003.png
20KB, 200x150px
>>3937579
It's far more depressing and disquieting than the anime and that says a lot. For anyone who wants to know why I have some spoilers below.

Lain is already dead in the game and you're just sifting through her computer files posthumously. In them you can see her acting in a remarkably evil malicious manner, even killing people who try to help her. That is of course completely different from the anime where she was a sympathetic victim. One of the final scenes is her shakily loading a gun into her mouth as it audibly clatters against her teeth and then you see the knockback of her corpse as she pulls the trigger. One of the most chilling scenes I can recall in all of animation. The whole game is a lot more uncomfortable and mean spirited than the anime. Not that I dislike it, it's just strange.

Something interesting though is it's evident that the game was developed before the anime since "Duvet" the opening theme for Lain directly references the game but nothing from the anime.
>>
>>3937337
>tfw feel like I understand most of Lain except the fucking Grey
>>
File: ZUWca0z.png (932KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
ZUWca0z.png
932KB, 1600x900px
>>3937837
It was a symbol that represented truth being put aside in favor of public perception. Since Lain existed mostly within the minds of others whenever it was believed she spread the rumors about Alice a version of her manifested that retroactively did in fact spread the rumors. The narrator talks about the rosswell incident where even if aliens had nothing to do with it, the idea of it being aliens effected the public in such a huge way that it might as well be truth or even more important than the truth.

That being said that scene and the one following it where Lain has the body of the grey is still completely bizarre. The series isn't perfect.
>>
>>3935712
I only saw the opening so far and it already
>make me sad

I'm honestly really looking forward to watch it once its turn in my anime list comes along Paranoia Agent & Paprika.
>>
is Lain better than Ergo Proxy
>>
>>3935712
>Ok! It's been a few years!
>I'm older and smarter now!
>This time when I watch Lain it will make sense!
>...
>Proceeds to baffle me yet again
>>
>>3940187
the collective subconscious is a form of esp that predates human culture and exists as a magnetic field interaction between the human brain, the human electronic infrastructure, the earth, the sun, and all the celestial bodies of the universe

just like real life
>>
>>3940204
Is that how meme magic works?
>>
>Implying Lain is /vr/ when it's obviously
>Present day
>Present time
>ahahahahah
>>
>>3940386
the anme and game are from 1998, so theyre retro

and yes your post is cringecity
>>
>>3940394
Not as cringey as your maximum strength autism preventing you from getting a joke.
>>
>>3940175
They're both about the same. That being said i think they're both pretty good.
>>
>>3935712
Still mad that Funimation fucked up the video on the Bluray release.
>>
>>3940348
yep
>>
>>3937095
It's a fucking cartoon.
>>
>>3940878
I thought it was live-action
>>
File: 1484859736738.jpg (154KB, 1520x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1484859736738.jpg
154KB, 1520x1080px
>>3940878

And?

Can media only be taken seriously if you pay real people to act in front of a camera instead of arranging thousands of paintings in a precise pattern to convey movement? What a horrible mindset.
>>
>>3940878
back to the doom thread, sub
>>
>>3941145
I don't know, I don't watch children's cartoons.
>>
>>3937824

Was "Duvet" even written for Lain specifically? I always figured they just plucked it off of one of bôa's EPs as it's stylistically quite similar to their other work.
>>
>>3942083

Oh come on, try a LITTLE harder. Why did you even drop the bait if you're done already?
>>
>>3942308
Yet he still responds.
>>
File: touko 1.png (39KB, 676x305px) Image search: [Google]
touko 1.png
39KB, 676x305px
>>3942295
It references the game pretty closely. Lain is consistently trying to teach Touko about the concept of the wired and all that and Touko just thinks Lain is crazy. Then as things progress Touko starts believing in Lain's abilities and becomes extremely paranoid believing Lain is stalking her and capable of reading her mind. Both of them start wishing they were dead and losing attachment to reality. This is of course what the lyrics of Duvet are a reference to.
>>
>>3940386
>Present day
>Present time

I never understood this. Can someone explain that and pic related?
>>
>>3935712
>Think of the children
Oh yes. Where do you think you are?
>>
>>3944983
what?
>>
who /lainchan/ here
>>
>>3935763
Goddamn you anon
>>
>>3936994

>http://laingame.net/

Really love the internet, thanks anon
>>
>>3945041
Not him but I think of children every day
>>
>>3941145
I try not to take any kind of visual media like movies, cartoons etc. seriously. It's just entertainment. Nothing to sperg about.

You sound like literally any other reddit weeb.

You fags should stay in /v/
>>
>>3941145
>anime picture
>namefagging

I literally can't take you seriously, try again.
>>
So can you fuck Lain in this game or not?
>>
This thread has too much bait. I didn't realize /vr was so close to being /v.
>>
>>3949041

it's a picture from what the thread is about
>>
>>3949069

The picture is about the game, not the cartoon. Sure it's the same character,but still.
>>
>>3949035
Nah. It just annoys me when people devalue animation on principle because it's not live action.

>>3947173
No problem, I hope you enjoy it.
>>
>>3949063
Been that way for a long time. I miss 2013 /vr/.
>>
>>3949063
yea man, too many children from /v/ over here
>>
>>3935712
we dont think about it.
>>
>>3935712
How come nobody has made a Lain world in worlds.com yet? Or is there one?
>>
>>3950539
Lain would be too coherent for the people there.
Thread posts: 65
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.