[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: Translation goofs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5

File: hm-1.png (27KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
hm-1.png
27KB, 1024x768px
ITT: Translation goofs
>>
>>3934839
I don't see the error..?

Sorry, I couldn't resist taking the low hanging fruit.
>>
This guy are sick.
>>
Maybe it was done on purpose. A lot of jrpgs frames the church as a sect or evil. Consider DQ V, Secret of Mana or Chrono Trigger
>>
>>3935047
It's harvest moon, dude. I'm sure it was meant to be "Cleanse"
>>
>>3934839
It was meant to be a joke.
>>
Well organised religion is designed to brainwash innocent children so I don't see the error here.
>>
>>3935047
In examples like DQV and CT though you see that the church is seen as evil as you discover monsters have taken over.

Religon as evil probably stems from the image it is given from its use in medival Europe. Back then it really was mostly people abusing the lack of knowledge that the common people had. Even now signs of corruption are commonly seen. Religon itself offers no evil, just people being shitty like usual.
>>
How do you know that's not on purpose?

And no, "It's harvest moon!" is not a reason.

You could just make this, you know, funny or odd translation in general thread.
>>
>>3935370
I'm not sure which games I'm remembering but I really enjoy "crooked clerics".
>>
>>3934839
It washes her mind of doubt and temptation for sin. Seems like a keeper desu.
>>
>>3935370
>Religon itself offers no evil, just people being shitty like usual.
Anon let me talk to you about the white slave trade
>>
>>3935389
Fair point.

I try not to look down on it. I gave up on religon myself a long time ago but I don't look down on others if they practice it. I try to imagine most just see as a means of doing good. Even if that is shitty in its own way I try to hope people are better then that.
>>
File: hangry.png (34KB, 912x672px) Image search: [Google]
hangry.png
34KB, 912x672px
C'mon guys don't be so off-topic. That's the kind of thing I'd expect from /v/.
>>
>>3935376
>And no, "It's harvest moon!" is not a reason.

It totally is, the game is light hearted and the girl is supposed to be a christfag. Besides the series has been known for having horrible translations.
>>
File: natume.png (320KB, 642x479px) Image search: [Google]
natume.png
320KB, 642x479px
>>3935430
>Besides the series has been known for having horrible translations.
This, HM translations are so crappy they even misspell the company's name on the fucking title screen.

>>3935047
>>3935370
Bad translation + evil religion = can't help thinking about Breath of Fire II. Equip lod/bait, yes/no being switched around in a menu, ranger are working? you are working hard, I don't think it's possible to fully list all the Engrish the game has. I love its translation though, never fails to make me laugh.

On the topic of religion, I like that in BoFII is not just monsters. I mean yes, St. Eva was designed by demons to make people praise Deathevn and give him strength, and most leader figures are demons in disguise, but you also have the vast majority of priests, like Ryu's dad, being people who actually believe the religion is good and that do want to help others.
>>
>>3935457
Not exactly a translation error, it's a transliteration error. tu and tsu are the same thing in Japanese.
>>
File: natsume.png (6KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
natsume.png
6KB, 640x480px
>>3935459
Oh come on, つ/ツ hasn't been pronounced as "tu" for a couple hundred years, 夏目 is a common Japanese word, and the company logo is written in English. I get that per Nihon-siki it'd be "tu", but you have to be a special kind of dense to use Nihon-siki on a title screen that comes right after this.
>>
>>3935425
>he's never heard of hangry
>>
>>3935491
I'm not talking about pronunciation, I'm talking about writing. It's not hard to imagine some Japanese guy typing up the text to be displayed on the title screen and typing "natume" because that's how he'd type it if he were typing in Japanese.
>>
>>3935491
>but you have to be a special kind of dense to use Nihon-siki on a title screen that comes right after this.
Maybe the guy who translated the copyright text didn't have access to the actual graphic assets. Usually they're just given a text dump with address markers.
>>
"When Jesus washed (When Jesus washed)
Oh when he washed (When Jesus washed)
When Jesus washed (When Jesus washed)

He washed my sins away! (Oh happy day)
Oh happy day, (Oh happy day)
Oh happy day, (Oh happy day)"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfGDvDGE7zk
>>
File: Spoony_Bard.jpg (73KB, 267x250px) Image search: [Google]
Spoony_Bard.jpg
73KB, 267x250px
A SNES classic.
>>
>>3935425

So if you are hangry, do you eat what's on your plate or punch the shit out of it?
>>
>>3935376
Confirmed the origin of fire!
>>
>>3934839
Check out the DS ports of Dragon Quest games, their entire scripts are goofs.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.