[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Change

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 6

Anyone else here grown up with the PS1 and slowly as you got older you began to prefer the N64 over it?
>>
>>3932696
That's some Benjamin Button shit right there.
>>
>>3932696
Not me, while N64 has some pretty good games that I enjoy, I still feel inclined to PS1 to this day.
>>
No, in fact I don't even remember it existing some times. The N64 feels like a black hole in Nintendo's history where they really dropped the ball. Only someone who grew up with it would have any real love for it
>>
>>3932707

>nintendo dropped the ball by revolutionizing the industry and making some of the greatest games ever released
>>
>>3932707
Not true, the black hole is the Gamecube.

Regarding the N64, I remember being mad for not having games like GoldenEye, Zelda or ISS 64 on my PSX.
>>
>>3932718
Gamecube is a great system with a bunch of great games though. N64.... isn't.
>>
>>3932725

what are you referring to?
>>
>>3932729

probably this

>>3932716
>>
>>3932721
Gamecube was bringing nothing new, unlike N64, and it failed hard, unlike N64.

Make your conclusions.
>>
Total opposite. Had n64 in high school and hardly knew anyone with a Playstation, which we called "the playstation" and not psx. Borrowed the PS once from my dad's friend and all he had for it was frogger, gex, spyro and crash so I thought the system was trash. Now it's all I play. Stull think the crash and spyro games are kiddie trash, though.
>>
>>3932721
Yeah no
>>
File: pikmin.png (549KB, 608x448px) Image search: [Google]
pikmin.png
549KB, 608x448px
>>3932748
I did. Gamecube is a great system with a bunch of great games though. N64.... isn't.
>>
I've had both since that generation.

N64 had a nice handful of iconic gems and not much outside of that. PS1 had a huge library of hits. I'm actually big on Nintendo, but the N64 really didn't hold a candle to the PS1 overall.
>>
>>3932754
Did he have kids as well? Why else would a grown man own shit like Spyro?
>>
>>3932754
I don't think anyone called it PSX in real life.

Or is it like how kids today not only exclusively use "SNES" and "NES", but actually say them as words rather than letters. It's the most annoying shit. Do they also call the GBA "Geebah"?
>>
>>3932762
>Why else would a grown man own shit like Spyro?

Do you know where you are?
>>
>>3932765
>I don't think anyone called it PSX in real life.

I knew people IRL who called it that. It was a pretty common term. I also heard people say sness and nes back then. Remember we're all from different places. What was common where you lived wasn't necessarily the case everywhere.
>>
>>3932768
Well it's different now, there are adults who played it as a kid. But he's talking about someone who was already an adult when it came out.
>>
Psx console design was kind of revolutionary but not really. Many games on n64 were complete game changers like oot, m64, and goldeneye 64. The n64 took on 3d era like it was nothing. Psx was still stuck in the past with their games
>>
>>3932696
>liking the N64 controller over anything
I'm not a mutant, so no, never
>>
>>3932776
Adults also bought Mario Kart and Pokemon when they came out. Pretty common thing to happen.
>>
I was the opposite. When I was a kid I played his n64 all the time at his house and while it was good, the only thing on it was Nintendo games and I wanted more so I got a ps1 instead. To this day I still prefer the ps1 because of this. so many great unique and different games for the system compared to the n64.
>>
I had both of them when I was a kid, got them about the same time, PS1 first, then a week later the N64.
I preferred the N64 and still do, but I prefer the Saturn to both. (which I also owned back then, bought about a year after the PS1 and N64).
>>
>>3932696
Yep for its faster loading times and handful of amazing exclusives that I never tried until recently. The n64 seems to have better stand out titles than the ps1 which I had.
>>
>>3932696
No. I had an N64 as a kid, somewhat late into it's life span at that, so I was able to get all the better games cheap, and generally sift through the bullshit easily, and even back then I knew the PS1 was far better. A friend of mine had one that was chipped and his uncle lent him a couple of those thick ass CD holders full of burned games.

Too long, didn't read: I knew back then the N64 was bullshit.
>>
I had the N64 back then and enjoyed the 4 player stuff a lot, but it has like 15 games

On the other hand you can explore the psx library for several months
>>
>>3932748
>Gamecube was bringing nothing new
I know, right? I loved

>Disc based games
>Online capability
>Gameboy compatability

on the N64! Also, when's the last time you've seen a game like, say, Windwaker or Twilight princess ported to a more modern machine? Gamecube was shit and should be forgotten

(I'm being sarcastic since you'll think I'm agreeing with you)
>>
Most people did the opposite.
>>
>>3933518

disc based games had already been around for an entire gen. nintendo was late to the party.

what online capability did the gamecube have?

no one cared about the gameboy compatability and it was poorly implemented

this last part is subjective but honestly twilight princess is shit and is better left forgotten
>>
>>3933612
Okay, what did N64 bring to the party then?

>What online did the Gamecube have?

The broadband adapter?

>No one cared about the gameboy player
Other than everyone

>>3933612
>twilight princess is shit and is better left forgotten
I won't argue with that, but it obviously sold enough for them to feel that porting it to the Wii U was worth their efforts.
>>
>>3933518
>Disc based games
One decade after the competition. Nothing new.

>Online capability
Well after the Dreamcast, who was ded before GC even launched. Nothing new.

>Gameboy compatability
No one cares, nerd.

Meanwhile the N64 brought ground-breaking stuff like: true 3D platformers, analog stick, 4 controller ports, etc.
>>
>>3933871

oh a broadband adapter nice. must have been some cool online games for the gamecube then right?
>>
>>3933895
PS1 has disc based games after the competition as well. It, by your logic, is a black hole.

>Well after the Dreamcast
Okay? Well after the SNES too.

>No one cares
Except for evceryone

>>3933918
Every single online game for the Gamecube was great.
>>
>>3932707
So what was it like growing up without friends? Because in MY experience, going to anybody's house inevitably turned into playing Goldeneye or Smash Bros.
>>
>>3932707
I wouldn't say they really dropped the ball but from that point it was clear nintendo was going to, intentionally or not, become a niche.
>>
>>3933895
>analog stick
Vectrex and 5200 beat it by over a decade
>4 controller ports
3DO let you daisychain up to 8 controllers
>>
>>3934572
From MY experience, going to anybody's house turned into playing street fighter alpha 3, winning eleven (pes), gran turismo, tekken, soul edge, mortal kombat trilogy.
>>
>>3932762
Yeah I think he had young kids at the time.
>>
File: 20140218-hm-x1800-1392762172.jpg (1MB, 1800x1198px) Image search: [Google]
20140218-hm-x1800-1392762172.jpg
1MB, 1800x1198px
>>3932830
>Psx was still stuck in the past with their games
If that's the case, then being "stuck in the past" truly was a better option in some cases
>>
>>3932696
Nah. I grew up with both but was getting into my JRPG phase, so I was playing Legend of Mana, Star Ocean 2, Tales of Destiny, while all I played on my N64 was Mario and Smash. And as a kid, I was limited by parents so while flipping through game magazines, the games for the PS1 looked more fun.
>>
>>3932748
N64 was considered a failure in the US. GameCube was a failure too, but it had games.
>>
>>3932765
I grew up on NES and SNES. Kids in my area used SNESsssss sometimes and it wasn't odd or anything, but 80% of the time we referred to the "super" or the "genesis" to identify the systems.

As for NES I was 3-7 years old when it was relevant and in my limited contact with other kids who talked about it, it was just the "Nintendo"
>>
File: RE2comparison.png (346KB, 1084x1058px) Image search: [Google]
RE2comparison.png
346KB, 1084x1058px
N64 looks so beautiful
>>
File: 1346352450996.jpg (112KB, 384x384px) Image search: [Google]
1346352450996.jpg
112KB, 384x384px
>>3938223
>low-res filtered textures
It's like everything was painted with vomit.
>>
>>3933935
Yep all three of them
>>
>>3938313
Try 6, faggot.
>>
>>3933518
Of course a new gen system is going to bring new things you idiot, the thing is the competition did the same shit. The PS2 had online, and disc games, and so did the PS1 for that matter so I don't see how that's new.
And honestly nobody cared about gameboy compatibility, it's a gimmick and its competition also had gimmicks.

The gamecube was the only nintendo system that offered the exact same thing as its competitors, just like how Sony and M$'s systems are always the same shit, during that gen Nintendo's console was the same shit as the others with a slightly different library. It had its exclusives, and they were good, but was also true for the competition.
That's why it's a black hole in nintendo's history. There's not even a reason to own one anymore, the Wii has it completely obsoleted.
>>
Aesthetically the n64 is my least favorite console.
Very few games are worth it to own one.
>>
>>3932696

The OBJECTIVE TRUTH is that the N64 was the better multiplayer console and the PSX was the better single player console with a much better library.

N64 truthfully only had like ~40 games but they were really fucking good and some had endless multiplayer replay value - MK64, SSB, Goldeneye, etc.
>>
>>3938325
>There's not even a reason to own one anymore
Other than the Gameboy Player

You call it a gimick, I call it the only viable way to play GBA carts on a big screen.
>>
>>3932698
lol yea op is straight up lying to force an opinion that doesn't exist
>>
>>3932698
Isn't the whole of /vr/ some "Benjamin Button shit" though.

>>3940712
>to force an opinion that doesn't exist
Really anon?
>>
If anything, I grew to appreciate the PSX controller as the epitome of 3D controller greatness.

Just as the Japanese Saturn or SNES controller will ever be the standard by which all others are measured for 2D gameplay.
>>
>>3932696
Yes
said no one ever
>>
>>3932696

Nah n64 games aged better over time than ps1 games did, all twelve of them.
>>
>>3932716
RARE made great games on the N64, Nintendo didn't. The Zeldas were total shit as the CD-i ones
>>
>>3938347
goldeneye is fucking unplayable especially on the meme nipple. stop forcing this. the only reason anyone likes it is due to nostalgia, we had to circumvent the controller and shittiness to get any joy out of it.
>>
File: ChuckleCat.jpg (107KB, 1440x900px) Image search: [Google]
ChuckleCat.jpg
107KB, 1440x900px
>>3938347
>had like ~40 games
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.