[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does anyone else think FF4 was the worst Final Fantasy? It's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 145
Thread images: 12

File: final_fantasy_4.png (457KB, 960x600px) Image search: [Google]
final_fantasy_4.png
457KB, 960x600px
Does anyone else think FF4 was the worst Final Fantasy? It's so goddamn linear. I have no idea why it's so fondly remembered,
>>
>I have no idea why it's so fondly remembered

Dat final boss music theme
>>
>>3931828
because it had nice characters
>>
>>3931852

They barely had any personality.
>>
>>3931828
I think 4 and 6 are actually terrible.

6 more than 4. But yeah, they're both really bad.
>>
Babby's first RPG, so fondly remembered for nostalgia. I'm a big fan of FF5 and 6, so was excited to try 4, but it was just awful.
>>
bbbbbbbbbbb aiiit
>>
File: 1381587471865.jpg (145KB, 455x739px) Image search: [Google]
1381587471865.jpg
145KB, 455x739px
>>3931875
>be a big fan of 1-2-7-8-9 (all psx versions)
>never get around to 6 just because
>saw it played as a kid
>start playing it
>hate it
>give it a second chance
>convoluted story, too many side stories, weird characters, weird mini "games"
>wtf why am I on a raft
>cant tell if I have a good grasp on this game
>still hate it
>>
FF"2" was the first FF game to many people back in the day so these people have firsties syndrome towards it just like many people who found the series with FF7 have towards FF7.

Just like FF7 FF4 was also revolutionary back in the day by introducing the ATB system instead of using the same turn based battle system that all console RPGs used back then.

>It's so goddamn linear
This complaint makes very little sense as most of the "best" FF games are linear as fuck. For example FF9 is the most linear out of the PSX FF games and it's also supposed to be the best one out of them.

>FF4 was the worst Final Fantasy?
No, even if you were judge it by modern standards. Sure it's linear as fuck and the ATB system in it isn't perfected yet but it still has it's moments and is much more fun to play than FF2, FF3 and Mystic Quest.
>>
Not the worst IMO, that honor still belongs to II, XII, XIII.
But I found the characters bland outside of Cecil and potentially Kain when he wasn't brainwashed every 20 fucking mins for plot convenience.
Also, the fact that everyone was so willing to sacrifice themselves in a moments notice was unrealistic and the moon portion was FUUUUUUCKED. Had some great music. Liked the dark Knight holy knight contrast.
>>
>>3931828
2 will forever be the worst Final Fantasy. 4 was good for its time but was surpassed by pretty much every game that came afterwards.
>>
>>3931828
Because it set the standard
The grandiose story trope over the classic dnd campaign.

Characters were sharp for it's time, dynamic, and had development

Sure it was linear because it was a story you played out like most fucking games these days

That music though

THE MOON

The fact that it's the second one to have arrived in the states helps a lot.

The music
>>
>>3931904

I only played the GBA version of 2 but I honestly enjoyed it more than 3 and 4.
>>
>>3931909
A lot of the remakes patch up 2 and make it a much more pleasant experience but the original Famicom release was a confusing clusterfuck.

I presume the anon is referring to the original release, anyway.
>>
>>3931908
This pretty much sums up my feelings on the game.

I hate actually PLAYING FF4 but for what it was at the time I have a deep respect for the game, and the story and setting is pretty cool.
>>
>>3931909
FF2 is my favorite FF game. 100% serious.
>>
come on anon ffiv it hasnĀ“t aged well thats true but it was great in his time the twist in the history the dicotomy of the knight the fake dead of rydia it all comes to bring a great game it was my third final fantasy game back then and the intro of the game when you see a dark night killing black and white mages superb
>>
>>3931828
FF4 was amazing for the time it came out, and I still think it holds up well today.

And for the record, FF1 was my first in the series.
>>
>>3932072
Oh hey, what's up woolsey
>>
Only commies hate 2 because they are the bad guys in that game
>>
>>3931828
Cecil and Kain are great. Classic FF sci-fi/fantasy plot. Beautiful soundtrack. It's definitely quite shallow in terms of gameplay, but really, most JRPGs are. 99% of them come down to using the most powerful abilities you have available.
>>
I fucking hate 4 with passion.
Story could have been simple, but nice. But no, they had to make a stupid heroic sacrifice scene every hour or so. Even worse is that no one but the old man actually dies, so it makes those scenes fucking meaningless.
They had a nice job system in III, but threw it away in favour of characters who each represent one class, stay with you for a while and then kill themselves (but not really). So there is zero customization whatsoever.
Said characters are incredibly bland and the only ones who get anything that resembles development are Cecil, Rydia and Cain. Who spends most of the time being brainwashed again and again.
The only nice things I can say about it is that music is really good and that adult Rydia fanart and doujins are great. Everything else is fucking garbage.
>>
People forget that console JRPGs were "new" concepts overall when FFIV came out in the west, as they really only emerged in 89/90 on the NES.

FF1 on NES was released only a year earlier, and Draqon warrior 3 was not even released until a year after FFIV landed.

The good 8 bit RPGs had a huge time lag when it came to being translated. They older games from the previous console generation by the time they got to us, but they were new to us and we loved them.

For an RPG fan going from FF1 to FFIV just a year later was a stunning leap in story telling, combat, visuals, music, etc.

It was the film equivalent of going right from 1936 "flash gordon" to "Star Wars" in a single year.

It's closest competitor was phatasy star 2 from the previous year, or shining in the darkess from 1991. Both were incredible games but didn't create the immediate buzz that FFIV did.

Phantasy Star 3 came out the same year as FFIV, but the less we say about that piece of shit the better. I bought that fucker new of the shelf for $80 in 1991 dollars.

tl;dr

For it's time FFIV was an unmatched RPG experience on the consoles, and even computer RPGs from SSI were nowhere near as polished at that time.
>>
FF4 is the worst of the series. The entire game's gameplay system resolves on "Do you want to buy that ONE piece of armor you're given the possibility to buy in each town?" That's it, that is literaly the only RPG element of the game. It's incredibly limited and linear, even modern A-RPGs have more to it.

The story is tedious and resolves on stupid surprises every 5 mins.

I get it, it was influencial for giving more importance to story, but it's not like it was the first to do so either.
>>
FF4 is still my favourite RPG to this day.
Been playing the DS version again, having a good time.
>>
You guys remember that FFIV Byond game?

man I miss it, that was some fun shit.
>>
All this hate is kinda strange considering how often FF4 is listed as one of the good ones from the series.

While in retrospect FF4 is far from flawless, I still think it's a fun game, everything is so exagerated and something is always happening, it's silly but endearing, also very different from FF5 which the plot is pretty tame most of the time.
I played the japanese version+fan translation with a friend (using the 2 players system) some months ago so the game still is fresh in my mind, despite the lack of customization the game has a pretty good challenge throught all the thing, travelling through the underground and moon gives this weird satisfaction of feeling like kid again, things like the center of the world and the moon are cool concepts just because they're cool (in a mysterious way).

All things considered, while I would never consider FF4 the best, it still is in the good side.
>>
>>3931879
>Babby's first RPG

That honor goes to Mystic Quest. It even says entry-level role playing adventure on the box. That aside, dumbing down the US version of FF4 certainly didn't make it harder.
>>
File: final-fantasy-2-nes-2.jpg (92KB, 475x280px) Image search: [Google]
final-fantasy-2-nes-2.jpg
92KB, 475x280px
>>3931828
Yes. I've been complaining about that here for ages.

The first three games all try very different approaches and are heavily based about party customization and figuring out how the player wants to tackle the challenges of the game.

FFIV throws almost all of that out the window with stock characters you can barely customize who are all perfectly pre-set to have what you need at any given time. There is almost no rrom for strategy even if you want it.

The flip side to per-determined characters is that the game is supposed to focus more on story, but especially in the original version it's still pretty bare bones and cliched.

Out of the retro ones, I don't think it's even close to a competition. IV is nowhere near the level of the other games. Not that any of them are completely amazing, but IV is a real step down.

All that said, I understand why it's so popular and sold so much better than II and III. Most players wanted a straightforward story focused game rather than a strategic RPG where you had to plan your party and approach.

At least we got SaGa out of it all...
>>
>>3931897
FF7 has tons of forced shitty minigames and I can't think of a single squaresoft rpg with a plot that could be described as anything but convoluted
>>
>>3931828
Most FF games are linear. Ff7 is linear as fuck, aside from 2 sidequests and a shitty rts mini game
>>
>>3932205
Phantasy Star 3 is a masterpiece
>>
>>3932417
It's because this board, like /v/, is full of teenagers
>>
>>3932417
>All things considered, while I would never consider FF4 the best, it still is in the good side.

Which ones do you put on the bad side?
>>
>>3931828
>linear is bad

this only works if it's 100% linear and there's no available back tracking at all in the game.
>>
>>3932543
It depends on taste. Some people want linear, others don't.
>>
>>3931828
Great characters
Great world-building
Great story
Great music/atmosphere
>>
>>3932546
What Final Fantasy game doesn't have a linear progression?
>>
>>3932549
They're all pretty linear, it's a series of JRPGs. Just saying tastes vary. 2 gives more freedom overall than IV for example.
>>
>>3932553
So, saying linear is bad is a very dumb statement when it comes to discussing a proper Final Fantasy title, as it has no meaning.
>>
>>3932543
Grandia is a great adventure, moving on feels like a loss, you can only move forward. They even tease you at certain times, putting you on the world map to choose your next location but some areas are greyed out, you can't go back.
>>
>>3932567
Well, wasn't my choice of words. But saying it's more linear than some of the others and that's one of the reasons he doesn't like it makes sense.

I don't have a problem with it's linearity nearly as much as I do with it's lack of customization and room for strategy. To each their own though.

>>3932570
>Grandia is a great adventure
I disagree with this statement. Grandia is marketed as a grand adventure, but there's almost no exploring at all. Every dungeon is practically a straight path with only brief shortcuts that lead nowhere. It's a terrible, boring adventure if you ask me.
>>
>>3932604
I see where you're coming from about Grandia, but I played when I was 11 with no internet, JRPGs were perfect for that age. The story was an adventure, it's got nothing on actual adventures like muh BotW and Zelda 1 where you need a fucking nintendo power hotline
Leaving home, succeeding, going where it's thought nobody has gone before, being so good at adventuring that the spirits choose you.
>>
>Oh no why something that looks simple and overdone today was seen as something revolutionary 20 years ago when the things it was one of the first things ever to do the things it did!
>>
>>3932604
>It's a terrible, boring adventure if you ask me.

I'm glad no one did. Grandia is very symphatic and it has good atmosphere. The point of view character Justin grows from teen boy playing treasure hunter in home towns back alleys to the hero saving the world. There's sense of advancment when you cross the End of the World wall. Up until Ghost Ship adults could be depended but when meeting Ghost Ship in the sea the masculine idol Captain loses all his shit and the day needs to be saved by three kids.The New World and second disc is full of wonder and mysterious places.

So fuck you :)
>>
>>3932607
>I see where you're coming from about Grandia, but I played when I was 11 with no internet, JRPGs were perfect for that age.

Yeah when you play something matters a ton. By the time I got to it I was already starting to burn out on JRPGs, but the Lunar games were among my favorites. And Grandia being billed as a game all about the joy of exploring was exactly what I wanted.

So when it turned out not to be like that I was extra disappointed and developed a real hate on for the game. I am genuinely glad it has it's fans though and I will say it's combat system was pretty cool.
>>
File: 1328318862943.jpg (93KB, 561x606px) Image search: [Google]
1328318862943.jpg
93KB, 561x606px
>Your face when Rydia appears out of fucking nowhere all grown-up and fucks up Golbez shit with her mom's Mist Dragon
>>
>>3932620
To each their own. I won't tell you to go fuck yourself because we disagree, but I stand by my opinion that it's a pretty lackluster game.

And it's not that the setting wasn't cool. It's that the actual dungeon design, right up to the final one was super boring and I never really felt like I was doing real exploring. But like I say >>3932623 much of that can come to timing, at 25 I wasn't so much interested in the world being saved by kids plot and it took a lot for an RPG to impress me after so many.

Whatever,
>>
>>3932549
What i think op means is that entries in the series like VII, VIII, XII and XV let you fuck around and go do whatever you want at certain points.
So the plot progression is indeed linear, but at a certain point, you can just go do side quests, grinding, mini games and or etc for 20+ hours in each of those games. While FFIV doesn't let you do anything not preset by the game.

You can wander a little and grind, but there's almost never anything optional to do or visit, no customization at all and shit like that. So it is indeed FAR more linear than every other FF. Including XIII, because even that game has side quests, a post game, upgeadable weapons, optional skills, etc

Not to say FFIV is a bad game though. I enjoy perfectly fine.
>>
>>3932632
Unless they took the sidequests out in the remake version you 'retro' fans play, 4 had a bunch of shit to do, there were like, 5 additional summons to get, you have multiple areas to explore after the game was over, under world, over world, moon world.

Not to mention the greatest of all, in times before readily available information on the internet.. We had an illusion of side quests, as you were able to re-visit the locations of your fallen comrades and check on their condition, and maybe, possibly find a cure for them.
>>
>>3931828
>people complain FF13 is on rails hallway simulator
>FF4 is basically just as linear with the illusion of freedom you get from a world map, but you still just have the one destination to go to progress

Never made sense to me. It pulls the exact same thing as 13 does with it ripping characters out of your party whenever it wants and never giving you the option to even customize who you do end up with.
>>
>Not too long
>Great Music
>Does alot of cool things for the time that your pleb millennial ass doesn't even notice
>Cool graphics
>>
>>3931828
>Does anyone else think FF4 was the worst Final Fantasy?

Me. I love character growth choices. My growth preferences is how I rank the games:
> Job System (3, 5)
> Patched Esper System (6 with game stat fixes)
> Materia System (7)
> Junction System (8)
> Grow on use (2)
> Learn from gear (9)
> Unpatched Esper System (6 stock)
> Buy-Your-Spells System (1, possibly 2)
> No choice/levels only (4)
>>
>>3932640
The Nintendo DS remake didn't include the stuff they added in the GBA and PSP remakes
>>
>>3932662
I have no knowledge of the gameplay in any of the remake versions.
>>
>>3932661
>learn from gear
is basically the same as learning from experience, it's still tailored to the specific character.

So what if Zidane doesn't learn mug until he buys a butter knife in Lindenburg, but Edge learns it at level 33 flat?
>>
>>3932670
>So what if Zidane doesn't learn mug until he buys a butter knife in Lindenburg, but Edge learns it at level 33 flat?

In one it's an optional ability that you have to seek out and learn if you want your character to be able to do it. In the other it's automatic and just handed to you because it's what the game dictates you should have.

Pretty big difference actually.
>>
>>3932664
here's the spoon

finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy_IV/Version_differences
>>
>>3932684
Jeez.. We really need to exclude discussion of these easy mode re-makes from our retro board, I find it offensive that the people I talk to about FF4 haven't even actually played the game, just some dumb streamlined version of it.
>>
File: linearity.png (230KB, 1246x740px) Image search: [Google]
linearity.png
230KB, 1246x740px
I don't get the complaint about FFIV being too linear especially when compared to other FF games. Sure at the start of the game up to the point you return to Baron you are on linear path that doesn't really allow you to fool around at all but right afterwards you get the first airship and area allowed to explore the world much earlier than you can on most FF games (I'm looking at you FFIII, VII, IX and especially you FFXIII). Also doesn't FFIV fall under the concept of "good linearity" after the point of you returning to Baron and getting your first airship?
>>
>>3932710
>Jeez.. We really need to exclude discussion of these easy mode re-makes from our retro board

What the fuck are you talking about? The original US release is the most dumbed down one.
>>
>>3932670
What >>3932673 said. Additionally, it rewards learning about the game and directly encourages the player to seek out new equipment and explore the game.

It also provides a non-level tied form of advancement that allows the player to overpower strong creatures in ways that doesn't require a simple level grind up. Also, it allows the player to focus on specific play styles and synergies during the journey, instead of a simple "oh, I learned x. I'll use that a lot now".

Going further, being only able to equip a limited number of passive abilities at a time allows the player to make intelligent offense/defense choices on a per-area basis.
>>
>>3932738
>Going further, being only able to equip a limited number of passive abilities at a time allows the player to make intelligent offense/defense choices on a per-area basis.

Also the add to this, unless you go out of your way to grind the player needs to choose which abilities to learn in the first place giving more strategy to normal playthroughs.
>>
>>3932710
Holy shit you're retarded.
>>
>>3931828
haven't we had this thread already?
>>
>>3932751
https://warosu.org/vr/thread/S1431543
>>
>>3932751

Weekly. Welcome to /vr/.
>>
>>3932732
>>3932750
>t. I played FF4 on the DS.
>>
>>3931904
dude fuck that. Final Fantasy II is actually really good IMO. Talking to beavers. Leveling up whatever you use.

Overtime somebody brings up why they don't like FF2, Im usually thinking to myself, "That's exactly why I like it!."
>>
>>3932794
Did you miss the point that badly? Holy shit.
>>
>>3932806
>t. FF4 on the DS is the greatest FF ever. not to mention the only one I ever played and was able to beat
>>
>>3932662
Good. That content was awful and had no place in the game to begin with.
>>
>>3932882
So you did completely miss the point. The DS version is harder than the original US release. Not that I've played it. FFIV is a bad game. I wasted my time with it on SNES. I'm not wasting my time with it again.
>>
>>3932925
>DS is harder
>but they give you more experience, and combat abilities to compensate
>>
File: RPGs 1989 to 1991.png (2MB, 1483x1626px) Image search: [Google]
RPGs 1989 to 1991.png
2MB, 1483x1626px
People bashing FFIV need to keep things in perspective for the time of it's release. They mistakenly compare it to mid 90's RPGs but that was a whole other era in gaming.

Outside of Japan Pic related were the modern RPGs on the market for both console and PC. It was a very stagnant time for RPG fans.

There were dozens of other copy-pasta SSI RPGs not shown, as it would be redundant to include them all.
>>
>>3933046
A fair point, but it's still a weak installment when compared to 3 and 5 of the very same series. It was a step up visually, but they threw out all character planning.
>>
>>3933078
>weak installment when compared to 3 and 5 of the very same series

Unreleased famicom game only existed for the niche market of import gamers. They were vaporware in the 90s. No one has fond memories growing up playing them, unless they emulated them years after their release or played game boy remakes a decade later.

Nostalgia for FFIV exists because it was actually released when the game was relevant.

FF5 remake came out 2 years after FF7, and FF3 came out in 2006. Neither game has anywhere close to the following of FFIV as they missed the nostalgia boat by a decade.
>>
>>3933046

All of those RPGs have better gameplay than FF4.
>>
>>3933116
>No one has fond memories growing up playing them

That doesn't make it a good game though. It's an attempt to shift the conversation from how FFIV compares to other entries in the series to how it was when we first played it which doesn't really matter.

It was very graphically and aurally impressive at the time, but having played FF and FF Legend I found it kind of boring as a game even then.

And yes, I wouldn't play the real 2 or 3 or 5 until years later but that doesn't change the fact that I think they're far better games overall. Because again, that's not really what this thread is about and it's not really relevant unless all your opinions are based on nostalgia.
>>
So I am playing ff4 for the DS first. It's pretty good. Sure it's linear and ff3 has a lot of better music than it. But it has a great story, and memorable characters.
One of my biggest gripes on it is the large difficulty spike when you enter the lunar core. I'm still walking around and still no save points. And the enemies are OP a fuck. I encountered this red dragon and it nearly one shot my Party with thermal ray. Still currently in the dungeon right now.

Also I was a bitch and forgot to get the fast talker and omnicast augment. I can still beat the final boss without them right?
>>
>>3933116
>Unreleased famicom game only existed for the niche market of import gamers.
Or, you know, the country of Japan and it's people.

>They were vaporware in the 90s.
You don't know what that word means.

>The rest
Lack of access to some games for some people doesnt make FF4 a better game. Even if we only look at only the at-release US pushes of FF, it's still the one FF with no character planning at all.

Even FF13 gIves the player more control over character development than FF4.
>>
>>3933181
This is a retro board.

We don't know anything about augments, or shitty re-make music your complaining about.

FF4 has one of the most classic battle bass lines ever to exist, and we have no idea what the fuck those augments are.
>>
>>3933189
There were people here who were talking about the DS version so I thought it was a good time to post my opinions on it.
However, I did try out the original version, it's easier, but I liked the sprites a lot more.
>>
>>3933194
Nah

Just because I said ff3 has better music doesn't mean I hate ff4's music. ff4 had a decent chunk of wonderful masterpieces like the four fiends boss theme and the regular boss theme. Overall the music is great, just not the best.
>>
>>3933132

>how_to_troll.jpg

Most were vanilla dungeon crawls with a few branching paths and pitfalls. Namelss generic warrior/mage/theif characters and copy-pasta AD&D first edition rulesets with strict turn based combat.

Few of them had characters who would leave the party and come back, characters who could die in the story, or guest characters like you had in FFIV. No character music themes for their side stories (no character side stories at all, in fact). PS2 was one of the few that matched FFIV's character depth, especially with the death of Nei.

RPGs were mostly confined to a limited area around a handful of towns, with one dungeon followed by an identical dungeon with different colored walls. There was no moon adventure (except in buck rogers rpg), no airship building, no time skip, no recurring battle with a named villain or midboss. There was just some generic demon final boss that no one gave a fuck about because the characters didn't interact with them till the final boss fight. Lord soth was semi-memorable badguy in death knights of Krynn, but that was a popular character from the novels and the game didn't use him well.

As for gameplay FFIV had the ATB system for turn order, dragoon had his unique attack pattern (could not be attacked because they were literally off screen), the dark knight that became a paladin who could actually cover his companions, a ninja who could throw swords and other shit, mages with reflect spell tricks and you could even target your own party members, also mage spells that could be toggled between single and multi-target (without being different spells) and it was probably the first time western gamers saw a summoner type class in action.

FFIV had a better inventory system with sorting, better spell system, and refined elemental resisting gear system. Menus were fast and easy to navigate unlike most other RPGs of the era.

FFIV was a lot of "firsts" for RPGs when it arrived in the west.
>>
>>3933046
Could someone name all of these?
>>
>>3933187
>You don't know what that word means.

There was talk of the other missing FF games since the early 90s. It was a common topic in the letters of nintendo power. It took 15 years for them to finally release a version of FF3. That was longer than the wait for duke nukem forever.

>Lack of access to some games for some people doesnt make FF4 a better game

It does, because the other games did not exist for us. It was as simple as that.

FF3 we at least heard of it, but for the rest we didn't even discover their existence until over a decade later. Not a leaked game name or screenshot, nothing. Emulators and fan patches were still years away.

There are too many spoiled as fuck millennial retrogamers here who have had every game they ever wanted at their fingertips since they turned 12. They can look at all games ever made all at once, strip away the history behind them, strip away their relevance at the time of release, and then compare them to modern games. They then shit on them to try and fit in.

It isn't just FFIV/VI that they shit on. They do it to baldurs gate 2, every N64 title "that didn't age well", the zelda games, the lucasarts games, and anything else that lets them act like contrarian hipsters.
>>
>>3931828
My fucking nigger. I hate FF4.
>>
>>3933303
Unfortunate that it took so long for them to release it. FF3 was one of my personal favorites. Wish it had a GBA remake like the rest of the first 6 games.

I mean there has to be at least a rom hack of it somewhere right?
>>
>>3932640
What's with the 'retro' remark? I'm 33 years old and my first console was an atari 800 you reject.

Anyway, i don't play any version of FFIV other than the original version. Meaning a jap rom with translation patch, or the ported psx version.

And my whole statement still stands. There are tons of optional things to do in games like FFVIII, because you can play cards, farm ap, do full on side quests, hunt items for weapon upgrading, learn the skills in any order desired and a lot more. Lots of other entries in the series are like this as well. There's hours upon hours of optional shit.
Even FFXV, a steaming pile of shit game, has dozens of hours of totally optional things to do.

FFIV has "OMFG FIVE optional things to do!!!". Oh and tou can revisit old areas and do nothing. Oh, and only get to decide who's in your party ONE FUCKING TIME.

So go ahead and generalize, insult me, say it was "good for the time" and do whatever else you need to do to make yourself feel better. But FFIV is still the most linear game in the series. Period.
>>
>>3933232

JRPG:
>FF1,FF4,PS2
>Shining in the darkness, magic of scheherazade, Dragon Warrior 2, Cosmic fantasy 2

PC games:
>Buck rogers, chaos strikes back, death knights of Krynn
>eye of beholder 2, M&M3, Ultima 6
>wizardry 6, Drakkhen, Crusaders of Khazan

Crusaders of Khazan was dogshit but I bought it out of a discount bin because it was supposed to deliver "a more authentic pen and paper experience on PC". I hated it but I was an SSI nerd at the time though and am probably biased.
>>
>>3933332
Thanks. I appreciate it.
>>
>>3933325
I'd also like to add that i have never used a guide with FFIV. The game forces you to go where you're supposed to next, skills are gained in linear order and you never get to pick party members.

Using a guide for FFIV is pointless. It would be like needing a guide for a fucking movie.
>>
>>3933318
>I mean there has to be at least a rom hack of it somewhere right?

I played the rom raw in 1998 or so. Played a fan translation beta patch in the early 2000s but it was buggy as fuck and menus were a mess.

The good AWJ 1.1 translated patch for FF3 wasn't released until around 2011, but there was an older playable patch of FF3 released at some point in the 2000s.
>>
>>3931828
From a guy that literally just finished it again on my SNES, it's still fucking based.

get fucked. FF6 is more linear
>>
>>3933348
3 overworlds that are all shit with nothing on it.
>>
>>3932350
Fuck yeah this was pure fun

fuck squeenix
>>
>>3931828
FF4 is good because it set the tone for a lot of shit people liked about JRPG's since then, it paved the way for all sorts of shit.
also the game itself is ok compared to some shit, like you faggy contrarian shits who like II or the walking stair simulator that is FFI
i swear to fuck everyone on this board is either 12 year old underaged shits that don't even belong on this site or their 45 year old grognards who hate literally every damn thing under the sun.
>>
>>3933361
>i'm a 12 year old who can maymay on teh interwebs
>lets call people samefag,that will show them
>>>/b/
>>>/trash/
>>
>>3933325
FF4 is shit, but id still rather take that over half the bullshit you just said was good for 8, half of that is tedious or retarded.

You just said Farming AP is a thing to do. You know who uses that logic? The fuckwad running World of Warcraft right now. You see anyone anywhere actually like Legion?
>>
>>3933361
>4 individuals give thoughtful and cynical arguements for ff4
>can't handle differing opinions
>spergs out
Im so glad you weren't born the 80s
>>
>>3933398
That's two different people. You sound like a PetCo employee or someone in the food service industry.
>>
>>3931828
all the posters praising describe the same thing: atmosphere and likable characters to a smaller extent
>>
>>3931904

I agree totally with this.
>>
>>3933303
I look at games at the context of their release. For example, FFVI really isn't that good if you look at it in comparison to all JRPGs at the time, but if you're looking at western releases it's a different story.

What that doesn't do is make the game more fun, especially not when there are much older games of the same genre that I have hundreds of time more fun with.
>>
>>3931828
It's thematicaly memorable.

doesn't need to be crushingly difficult to be good.
>>
>>3933325
what do you think of FF4: Namingway Edition hack for SNES?
>>
>>3931828

You Spoony Bard!

FFIV is great.
>>
no, the worst one is easily FF1
4 at least introduced ATB
1 is just a generic shitfest, might as well play draggin' quest if you're into that crap
>>
File: I has a question....jpg (106KB, 635x668px) Image search: [Google]
I has a question....jpg
106KB, 635x668px
>Final Fantasy IV for Super Famicom
>Final Fantasy "II" for Super Nintendo
>Final Fantasy IV Easy Type for Super Famicom
>Final Fantasy IV for Playstation
>Final Fantasy IV for Wonderswan
>Final Fantasy IV for DS
>Final Fantasy IV for PSP
>Final Fantasy 4 Fast 4 Furious

Now Final Fantasy IV was a good game for it's time but what's up with the constant ports and remakes it seems to get every other year? Is it that popular in Japan or am I missing something?
>>
>>3934736
>Is it that popular in Japan

Yes. In any Japanese poll it makes the top 10 greatest games of all time.

Pic related is old as dragon quest IX is now the most popular DQ game, so it would shift the top 10 list a bit.
>>
>>3935254
What a shitty list...
>>
>>3931828

Its the most stereotypical JRPG of the series, but that's because it set the standard for them. Its the Link to the Past of Final Fantasy, while FF7 is it's Ocarina of Time.
>>
File: IMG_20170402_213032_137.jpg (111KB, 872x549px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170402_213032_137.jpg
111KB, 872x549px
Does anybody know any good Sega Saturn emulators for a tablet?
>>
>>3932641
I've never played through IV, but I wouldn't excuse it, and I DEFINITELY don't excuse XIII, for having such shitty linear design.
>>
>>3935254
Holy shit, what the fuck are they thinking over there?
>>
>>3935254
I like how FF6 isn't even in the top 20.
>>
I'm sure most of the people hating this game are 31 and younger. When this game hit, it was great. I spent many nights with it.
>>
I'm playing through the GBA version of FFIV right now and I love it.
>>
>>3936527
They're all playing the 3d DS remake
>>
I beat FF1 and thought it was meh, but want to try another one out. Which FF game should I try?
>>
So I only played the ps1 version which was mostly the same as the snes version with some additions. But I looked at all the content added in later versions and I might just have to pick up the psp version because it seems legit.
Note, I like ff4. Not the best but not the worst but was definitely a one time playthrough but the psp version might make me play it again
>>
>>3932934
That sounds like it would make it a little more interesting at least, but not enough to warrant playing again.
>>
>>3936764
7, 8, 9, or X.
>>
>>3936764
>>3936764
What do you want out of a final fantasy game? What meh aspect of 1 do you most want improved? That will lead to which one you should try next.
>>
>>3936823
Better story.
>>
>>3936848
>>3936848
Yeesh, you're in for roughness then. Story in none of them is great. Though they're all better than 1. VI, VII and IX are your best bets I would say, but don't expect anything amazing.
>>
>>3936848
7, 8, 9 or X.

Or T if you want something with a bit different combat mechanics.

Or 4 if you want more of the same graphics style as 1.
>>
>>3936854
I would absolutely not recommend 8 for story. It's an interesting game in some ways but the story is total garbage.
>>
>>3936863
What didn't you like about the story?
>>
>>3936868
Just about everything. From the characters to the time compression and amnesia to the love story that falls flat made it a real mess. My intense dislike of Squall never helped. I wish the game focused on Laguna.

I know some like it, but personally I thought it was dismal even for FF which has never had storytelling I would qualify as very good. Shame too, because I like many of the game systems and the setting.
>>
I never really liked 6, it's like they gave up halfway through and went OH WELL HERE'S THE REST OF THE SHITTY SIDEQUESTS HAVE FUN.
>>
I would say IV is probably the game that got me interested in Final Fantasy as a series, the reason I like it so much is because it has less grindy elements in it.
>>
>>3936852
huh. then why do people play FF?
>>
>>3936928
Everyone has their own favorite parts of the games. I want zany adventures, curious worlds to explore and sound gameplay. That makes me prefer 5 over the other games.
>>
File: 90skids.png (28KB, 824x612px) Image search: [Google]
90skids.png
28KB, 824x612px
>>3931828
tl;dr you're spoiled by what came after.
>>
>>3933046
Not sure what you mean by stagnant, that was probably the most varied era of RPGs. It's not exactly an innovative genre.

Also half of those are from good to timeless classics
>>
>>3931828
/vr/ is biased because it prefers games with more customization. I bet half of the commenters here come from the saga thread.
>>
>>3931828
>It's so goddamn linear
All FF games are linear, if you mean linear in the sense that you have zero control on your characters on top of having a linear storyline on rails you have a point though.
>I have no idea why it's so fondly remembered
It was a high production value "RPG" soap opera, normalfags and casuals eat that shit up no matter the time you're in.
>>3933046
>It was a very stagnant time for RPG fans.
No, it wasn't, especially if you post that pic.
FFIV was a "RPG" for children and a casual audience that didn't want the complexity of actual RPGs, that's all.
If you put things in perspective FFIV is even more embarassing compared to the complexity of some games of the time, adding a few quirky battle scripts doesn't change that it's a very primitive and simplistic narrative driven game, and barely an actual RPG even compared to JRPGs of the time.
>>
>>3938669
It's literally the opposite. You are blinded by nostalgia. I can't believe people are proud of judging games by the standards of back then. There are tons of retro games that hold up perfectly well even today.
>>
>>3938887
I'm an oldish fart and agree with this. Age baiting retards are the worst.
>>
File: Dracula.jpg (751KB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
Dracula.jpg
751KB, 1200x1600px
>It's so goddamn linear

Perhaps the same could be said of ALL jRPG's.
>>
>>3938952
It's not just linear in where you go next, it's linear in that your party make up is predetermined so you can't even experiment with many different strategies. The game hands you every character and ability you need.
>>
the DS version is one of the best FFs though, actually somewhat challenging and offers some customization via the augments
the GBA versions let you customize your party at the end, but they'r kinda buggy
>>
>>3931872
what can you do..
Thread posts: 145
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.