[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this game good? I heard it's super hard..

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

File: Darklandscover.jpg (21KB, 296x336px) Image search: [Google]
Darklandscover.jpg
21KB, 296x336px
Is this game good?

I heard it's super hard..
>>
pretty cool

combat is ass though
>>
>>3930426
It's not hard. You can literally kill all the city guards at the start of the game, actually the game manual says you to do so, to get comfortable with controls.
But the game is great
>>
>>3930429
>pretty cool
>combat is ass though

RPG made outside Japan in a nutshell
>>
File: chemical brothers.gif (563KB, 640x400px) Image search: [Google]
chemical brothers.gif
563KB, 640x400px
>>3930429
>>3930473
>>3930476

rather than listen to these faggots, watch some 70-year-old men fight armored templars
>>
>>3930426
>Is this game good?

It is superlatively good. One of the best RPGs of all time. You know it's going to be good when one of the designers (Arnold Hendricks) is the guy who came up with the idea of printing a 4 digit code on the top of hexes to identify them by column and row on a hexmap.

>I heard it's super hard..

Character creation is the hardest part. Just read the manual, think about what kind of shit you want to fuck up in medieval Germany and then make some people to do it.

Don't be scared, just make some bruisers and make sure one of them knows how to read and write and talk to people.

Then play. Talk to people, kill guards, kill robbers, go walk to another town, sell some loot, listen to rumours.... After a while, you'll be like >>3930697
>>
One of my favourite RPG's ever. Back in the day it was almost impossible to get to work with memory issues. I remember having to have autoexec.bat specifically for this game. The problem was, IIRC it ate up like 580k of base memory and back then anything above 640 needed to use Himem or some other memory manager, but those ALSO ate into the base 640. Using a mouse was nigh impossible.

Thank God for GoG and Dosbox.
>>
File: bandits find valuable potions.gif (208KB, 640x400px) Image search: [Google]
bandits find valuable potions.gif
208KB, 640x400px
True, it shows up in lots of peoples' best-ever lists. Look up "Classic Retro RPG" in the dictionary and you'll find Darklands, right there
>>
I remember the game being fun, but buggy. For me, it always crashed whenever the wild hunt appeared, and sometimes when fighting witches.
>>
>>3930426
My last technique was to get everyone up to skill with bows or guns, and have one saint guy and one alchemist.

My worst problem is having everyone in decent armor when i spread points too thin.

You gain skills really fast during the game, except for some that are particularly hard to jump start like alchemy or religion or ride. And it's almost impossible to raise your attributes, so you are really encouraged to start your adventure early in character creation, even though you can keep chugging along.

Taking the default party and playing with them isn't a bad idea, or just taking them, pooling all their gear, and starting over with your own party and transferring heir gear back. The premade party has special gear you can't normally get during creation, like plate armor.
>>
>>3930426
All I remember is that you need to throw your JRPG mindset away as to not create 15-20yr old protagonists.
>>
GET A HORSE
>>
Not OP but I just got this game and the oldest game I played was baldurs gate 2 and games like it so I got a bit overwhelmed with all the skills.
Anyway if I make a standard part of 2 warriors, 1 thief and 1 alchemist will it work?
>>
>>3935135
You will probably need a priest. Some saints are pretty useful, IIRC.
>>
>>3930426
It's honestly not too bad. If you're having a hard time, during party creation you can just make some 80 year old alchemist, add him to your party, transfer all his potions to someone else on your party, and remove the alchemist from your party. Repeat half a dozen times, then start the game and sell all the potions you transferred. Now you have enough florin to buy anything you want.

That said, there's not really a real need to do this. A week or two of just killing street thugs every night while going back and forth between the shady grove and the inn should give you enough resources and skills to start tackling everything else.
>>
>>3930837
>>3930697

Holy shit. What do you do when you run out of potions?
>>
>>3935993
Probably start taking the strength+endurance potions and destroy the enemy with their 70 skill imp or edged skill. Or maybe throwing darts or javelins are probably good too, they all gotta have a high thrown skill.
>>
>>3935992
You only get equipment for the first party you bring in, but it's still a good idea, you could have a part of 4 80year old alchemists and steal all their gear, then make some young kids and give them the money.

I have to save scum here sometimes. I click the wrong option sometimes or the game just glitches out and I have to reload.

Get a Roland mt32 emulator too. The game has great music on it.
>>
>>3935993
When I was starting them out I had to flee from bandits in the city if I was ever caught outside at night. 1 hit = dead. You can exit battlefields by getting all members to the edge an hitting X.

That party will never run out of potions, but if they find archers, they have to pop Iron Arm + Essence of Grace to keep from getting killed
>>
Am gonna bump this thread just before it falls off just to say that I used to fap to that dame on the cover often when I was like....younger...
>>
anyone bought this game on GOG have problems with the sounds? when in combat they dont make sword clashing sounds, instead they make some weird sound effect
>>
>>3930837
>1 hp
uh... how old are they?
>>
>>3930697
>>3930837
>>3940494
nvm, I'm asleep, carry on.

>>3935992
Making money is EZ as fuck you only need to increase your Rep. and Kill Raubritters for the Merchants/Lord ; you get like 10~20 Florins or more if you get the same quest for different towns.

The hard part of the game are the caves/dungeons; You need a shit ton of pots and backup armor and weapons due to the durability.

Also Dragon tracking/slaying is totally cool
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.